Skill calculator (formula?)

Falagor

Stalker
Society
NBK Rangers
Falagor Falagor Frostmaster
Since there is free calculator of skills avaible at Entropedia (TT value of skills based on skill diference) and there is also "one time donation" tool avaible that counts the TT value of skills i just do not understand one thing:
why there is no formula avaible on forum.

I have really searched and all i have found was speculation that there is no clear formula and that both Entropedia and that tool uses aproximation of the value.
Well in that case is the data used for aproximation avaible anywhere (forum or anywhere else)?

I really do not want to "donate" for something i can count myself (and is free on Entropedia btw but in a limited way - you need o type in each skill one at a time - but it is still doable to count TT value of all skills). Aproximation or estimation isn't really big magic and i can write simple program to count this for skill input myself (it would take about an hour to create this kind of program to suit my needs). All i am looking for is the data for aproximation (if the formula really does not exist). Getting all the data by checking many chips on auction to get enough would be real pain in the a&&.

Falagor
:bandit:

Since there is free calculator of skills avaible at Entropedia (TT value of skills based on skill diference) and there is also "one time donation" tool avaible that counts the TT value of skills i just do not understand one thing:
why there is no formula avaible on forum.

I have really searched and all i have found was speculation that there is no clear formula and that both Entropedia and that tool uses aproximation of the value.
Well in that case is the data used for aproximation avaible anywhere (forum or anywhere else)?

I really do not want to "donate" for something i can count myself (and is free on Entropedia btw but in a limited way - you need o type in each skill one at a time - but it is still doable to count TT value of all skills). Aproximation or estimation isn't really big magic and i can write simple program to count this for skill input myself (it would take about an hour to create this kind of program to suit my needs). All i am looking for is the data for aproximation (if the formula really does not exist). Getting all the data by checking many chips on auction to get enough would be real pain in the a&&.

Falagor

1) Nobody has to enter his skills manually, skill scanner generates .csv files that are ready to be uploaded to entropedia.

2) Entropedia and Jdegres chipping optimizer do a bit more than just "count skills" - and you perfectly know that, as to "type in each skill one at a time" is not needed when you just want to count them... both, Witte and Jdegre deserve donations for their hard work, and yes, they do accept PED.

3) Why would you need the formula? There are plenty of tools that do a single "skill count <-> TT ESI" conversion at a time, you can always use those.

4) There is no single formula, but a combination of three formulas - and those who have them do not share them. And you would only need it to create a tool - the converters out there should cover all normal player needs.

5) When it just takes you 1 hour to code a "simple program to count this for skill input myself", why do you waste 20 minutes on writing a long ass post like this? (And actually it would take only 30 min to code a simple program that makes use of the existing conversion routines, which renders this thread totally pointless...)

Sorry when i sound a bit harsh, but the

I really do not want to "donate"

mentality pisses me a bit off - everyone playing for longer than a year HAS used all the tools, and CAN afford to donate 5 measly US$ to people who spent a lot more than "just one hour" on professional tools you can use for free...

1) Nobody has to enter his skills manually, skill scanner generates .csv files that are ready to be uploaded to entropedia.

Agree on this one. Actually my need is:
i have my own database of my skills, from time to time i get input of new data and this adds to the database and shows me charts and my skill progress - simple as that. Of course i can do this: use skillscaner - upload it to entropedia, get wanted info, put it back to my own program and have my result but i really wanted to have it done automatically without the uploading step.

2) Entropedia and Jdegres chipping optimizer do a bit more than just "count skills" - and you perfectly know that, as to "type in each skill one at a time" is not needed when you just want to count them... both, Witte and Jdegre deserve donations for their hard work, and yes, they do accept PED.
As far i appreciate their work i really do not need that "a bit more". Both Witte and Jdegre DID a lot of good work there and i know that.

3) Why would you need the formula? There are plenty of tools that do a single "skill count <-> TT ESI" conversion at a time, you can always use those.
Explained at point 1)

4) There is no single formula, but a combination of three formulas - and those who have them do not share them. And you would only need it to create a tool - the converters out there should cover all normal player needs.
Fair enough. If there is mix of complex formulas i agree that it is no good to reveal them ;). I just asked if there is one avaible. No -> fine i will find another way ;).

5) When it just takes you 1 hour to code a "simple program to count this for skill input myself", why do you waste 20 minutes on writing a long ass post like this? (And actually it would take only 30 min to code a simple program that makes use of the existing conversion routines, which renders this thread totally pointless...)
Program to interpolate a function based on X points is really simple to write. Problem is: get the X points to interpolate the function. So mayby you missed that but i was actually asking abotu those X points (data) ;). To get those points you "simple" have to check many many chip skills on auction and watch how they change your skill levels and this is the long part - i have just asked if it is avaible somewhere. If not - then i can do it as well - mayby it will not be as acurate as Witty or Jdegre formula but will suit my needs.

Sorry when i sound a bit harsh, but the
mentality pisses me a bit off - everyone playing for longer than a year HAS used all the tools, and CAN afford to donate 5 measly US$ to people who spent a lot more than "just one hour" on professional tools you can use for free...
Well actually i am a programmer too. I know that they worked hard on the program/site and i apriciate it. Nevertheless dont you think that architect if he wants to have a new house - he does the project himself? Similar here. I just want to have things my way. And the program would take only 1 hour to make if i had the formulas/X points because it would be without all graphical interface and wont be in any way suited for others to use. Basicly just raw input/output program that would modify my database ;). No updates, no client support, no server, no news site like the Jdgree program but i do not need all of that so why should i "donate" for it ;)?

PS: someone has sent me some interesting data i will check that out if it is of any use ;). Thanks.

Falagor

Well, i understood your points, no need to repeat them.

As you actually do use the Skill Scanner you should consider making a 50 PED donation - this does not only give you an account for storing your skills, but on top you can use this neat tool:

http://jdegre.net/pe/charts/skillhist.php

(Not to mention those cute little skill signature pics)

If you just need datapoints tp interpolate try using the forum search, there has been a recently started thread and the thread that was used to find the original formula is full of datapoints, too.

However, it will still be a lot faster and smarter to do what i suggested (and you somehow ignored/missed that) - a simple TCP/IP socket will enable you to query one of the existing web-based tools for conversion - even multiple conversions at once (or you could use this to build up a table with datapoints) - and it should take a few minutes only to code that...

Well, i understood your points, no need to repeat them.

Sorry for being harsh ;).

However, it will still be a lot faster and smarter to do what i suggested (and you somehow ignored/missed that) - a simple TCP/IP socket will enable you to query one of the existing web-based tools for conversion - even multiple conversions at once (or you could use this to build up a table with datapoints) - and it should take a few minutes only to code that...

Connecting to other sites - this i want to avoid - i want my tool to work offline ;). But thanks for the tip.

On topic - actually the info i have got from anonymous user (if he did not posted it here i guess he does not want to be known) is quite alright. It was actually nearly ready piece of code ;).
It works a bit other way: it takes TT value of skill and output is skills from 1 to X that represent the TT value. But having this i can easily get what i want ;).

Thank you very much anonymous ;). The formula there is actualy quite complicated and differs very much on different skill gaps.
However it is not exactly the same formula that Entropedia site uses because at small skill level there is 0.01ped TT value diference sometimes and at for example 100ped TT value there is already 0.10ped difference. I will try and check ingame soon what is correct one (comparing with random chips on auction). It will work for my needs even if it is not exactly accurate - thank you once again ;).

@edit:
actually there is a function that counts exactly what i need ;) - i looked too fast, too excited ;).

Falagor

Last edited:
Back