Dont say Entropia's graphics are bad...

Mega

Chaotic Good
Society
Kaos
MegaVolt
... upgrade that video card!

From time to time, I see posts stating how EU's graphics arent that good. So here are 5 pictures taken at the same spot with different settings. As you probably imagine, I've recently upgraded to "very high" and its really worth doing...

Safe Mode

safe_mode.jpg

Low

low.jpg

Medium

medium.jpg

High

high.jpg

Very High

very_high.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safe Mode

eos_safe_mode.jpg

Low

eos_low.jpg

Medium

eos_medium.jpg

High

eos_high.jpg

Very High

eos_very_high.jpg

All of the above taken with a Radeon 5770 which can now be bought for under £100 - hardly a top end card.

Last edited:
Thanks MEGA. :)

Although, safe mode is a bit nostalgic.. heh. Almost like the highest settings PreV10.

Nice pics mega :D :yay:

I bought that card too, but am unable to use it. It's a PCI-X ver 2 card, and my mother-board is a ver 1.

They are SUPPOSED to be backwards compatible both ways, but the ASUS board I have isn't. I kick myself daily because I should've have gone with the DFI Lan Party board, but chose the ASUS board since it hat the latest ATI chipset. The other boards I opted against at the time have no problems with the backwards compatiblity.

So, the 5770 card sits in it's box until I build a new computer which haven't been to enthusiastic about and it leaves me with my X1950XTX which I run on medium, although I can run on the very high settings, but it lags since the GPU is maxed. Does look good though at very high.

I bought that card too, but am unable to use it. It's a PCI-X ver 2 card, and my mother-board is a ver 1.

They are SUPPOSED to be backwards compatible both ways, but the ASUS board I have isn't. I kick myself daily because I should've have gone with the DFI Lan Party board, but chose the ASUS board since it hat the latest ATI chipset. The other boards I opted against at the time have no problems with the backwards compatiblity.

So, the 5770 card sits in it's box until I build a new computer which haven't been to enthusiastic about and it leaves me with my X1950XTX which I run on medium, although I can run on the very high settings, but it lags since the GPU is maxed. Does look good though at very high.

A little confused with your post, couldn't you just return it to the shop / online place your ordered it stating it was incompatible? Distance selling regulations allow for 7 days cooling off period for online orders, and most shops would have accepted "unwanted gift" provided you had the receipt. Maybe things are different in USA though.

Anyway, you may have kept it knowing you'd upgrade the mobo, chip etc one day - and you'll be glad when you do. :)

hmm well I don't think that the graphics can be judged by such standarts. Doesn't really matter what engine a game runs on... more like how the engine is used to make things believable and cool at the same time.
That being said I think that Calypso has very good graphics... personaly I don't think that's the case for NI but not sure how that looks by now. When I tested it in the beginning it had soo many flaws in graphics like broken water and textures and whatnot that the graphics where bad even if the enginge itself is perfect for a MMO ofc.

going to buy a gforce 480.......................... i want to see..............

A little confused with your post, couldn't you just return it to the shop / online place your ordered it stating it was incompatible? Distance selling regulations allow for 7 days cooling off period for online orders, and most shops would have accepted "unwanted gift" provided you had the receipt. Maybe things are different in USA though.

Anyway, you may have kept it knowing you'd upgrade the mobo, chip etc one day - and you'll be glad when you do. :)

Yes a bid different in the US. When ordered from online vendor, apart from a defective product which would qualify for a RMA (return to manufacturer), you could end up paying a 15% restock fee.

I held on to it with the intent of upgrading, but I've had it now for a year, and may just end up giving to daughter for her system and get the latest card when I do upgrade mine. My system is still fine apart from the dang MB. It's the AMD FX60 CPU which I have OCd and run everything out there fine. When I built this system in 2006 I paid top dollar for the latest techs hoping it would last, and would still be quite good if the MB met the IEEE standards and would run the new 2.0 PCI-X cards. Therefore I no longer recommend ASUS products because of this.

Why i'm not surprised it's an Argo spot :D. Personally i started to use safe mode with low Avatar details lately, because i actually don'T care about the fancy gfx anymore although my PC is capable of handling high settings and displaying very high ( doable when i actually don'T plan to do any activities because fps really sucks on my PC when i'm @ VH settings ).
Now i have high fps on every place and Task switches to my tracksheet are also fast.

From time to time, I see posts stating how EU's graphics arent that good. So here are 5 pictures taken at the same spot with different settings. As you probably imagine, I've recently upgraded to "very high" and its really worth doing...

Very High

All taken with Radeon 5770 which can be bought for £110 - hardly a top end card.

Well have you ever tried any other MMoRPG with nice gfx? The Gfx of Callypso is one of the ugliest available. It looks very unprofessional, has no theme/design, and is very buggy. This is my ingame character in another MMoRPG taken with a 50$ card:
larad.jpg

This is calypso with same computer:
eventissue2.jpg

Even World of Warcraft has better gfx then EU. The gfx isn't as fancy but the graphic design is very consistent. Eu just looks like some teenager did some Tutorials with 3DMax. The only things that look nice camw with the Engine.

Last edited:
Well have you ever tried any other MMoRPG with nice gfx? The Gfx of Callypso is one of the ugliest available. It looks very unprofessional, has no theme/design, and is very buggy. This is my ingame character in another MMoRPG taken with a 50$ card:
larad.jpg

eventissue2.jpg

Even World of Warcraft has better gfx then EU. The gfx isn't as fancy but the graphic design is very consistent. Eu just looks like some teenager did some Tutorials with 3DMax. The only things that look nice camw with the Engine.

This only really shows u run EU (Cry eng2) with a $50 card which makes EU look crap the other mmo uses a lesser engine that your card handles well.

eventissue2.jpg

believe that a picture of moi and taken with a HIGH end ATI mobilty card. lol thats even not in your gallery.

But yes the avatar designs need upgrading. look at the NPC Which are created by NDS does have nice faces etc. So it is possible. I hardly believe the first avatar is a ingame desing because it is way too smooth.

also remember that cry2 can do way more but MA choices to keep it as low as possible and stil dx9. If they open the flodgates then 80% of eu cant play anymore.

The other design like volcanoe area and port atlantis are nice too look at.

This only really shows u run EU (Cry eng2) with a $50 card which makes EU look crap the other mmo uses a lesser engine that your card handles well.

Well, with this card I can run Crysis well and it looks a lot better than calypso. You just gave one more argument that EU gfx is done unprofessional. :silly2:

Well, with this card I can run Crysis well and it looks a lot better than calypso. You just gave one more argument that EU gfx is done unprofessional. :silly2:

big differnce between a single player FPS and MMO dont compare them.

Compare EU to otherf online game for instance the game you made that avatar ?

larad.jpg

eventissue2.jpg

It's a bit diased to compare an avatar from a game where you never (not yet any way) actualy play with your avatar (you just float around in a spaceship all day long) with a game like EU...

Thanks for the images Mega, its interesting to see the different modes, although there are nicer spots on Calypso ;)

I have also bought a 5770 along with other new parts, now I just have to put it all together. I look forward to playing higher than safe mode. :)

Cheers :beerchug:

big differnce between a single player FPS and MMO dont compare them.

Compare EU to otherf online game for instance the game you made that avatar ?

Just check out this ingame character editor.

To make my point clear: I don't care that much about gfx. I prefer MMORPG because of their gameplay, story and consistent world. Claiming that calypso has "not bad" gfx is just wrong, though.
I did fall in love with PE not because it had nice gfx. The gfx was bad when I started, but it was at least very consistent. You never had the feeling that everything is put together in a hurry. Today I have this feeling as soon as I leave some polished areas.

To make my point clear: I don't care that much about gfx. I prefer MMORPG because of their gameplay, story and consistent world. Claiming that calypso has "not bad" gfx is just wrong, though.
I did fall in love with PE not because it had nice gfx. The gfx was bad when I started, but it was at least very consistent. You never had the feeling that everything is put together in a hurry. Today I have this feeling as soon as I leave some polished areas.

Yes the character editor looks great, but as far as I know, you can't actually play your avatar in EVE, so it is just a static image at the end of the day. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :)

Apples and oranges...

Cheers :beerchug:

All taken with Radeon 5770 which can be bought for £110 - hardly a top end card.

I use the same card. It cost not much and the power is ok. But i dont think is a top end card :) but it is a very good gamer card.

seriusly u run Eu on 50$ card and u keep claiming gfx is bad?

As Ranpha allready stated, if they let ce2 run at max you wouldnt be even able to play EU except in safe mode.

And while ur at it, why dont u check youtube for some CE2 representation videos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJG14uLA3k&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Last edited:
even if the enginge itself is perfect for a MMO ofc.

Just to say! Cry2 was not designet to create MMOs. They had to change a lot engine source code to run Entropia. But this dont have a influence to the grafic. It was more to make zone servers and to make propper borders to the next zone server, and things such this. I think the average grafic of EU is on the way to get better and better. They just have not enought 3d artists and some well skilled leveldesigners. So everything going a while.

And i can't understand, why they don't take the help from some well skilled artists, playing eu, and did offers to MA to help in that case. Im pretty sure, a lot 3d artists, where play eu, would help to make content.

Last edited:
Imho, "vu 10" is eyecandy. Nice looking terrain (as well as avatars), but you need a fairly good computer. No Robot Factory, no Thorifoid Temple, no Beacon Missions, no cave on calypso like the limnadian cave, Art Galleriy area has been change to a shopping mall, no cave like limnadian rock or boorum/thorkil cave (but there are on Rocktropia...). Calamusoids were removed without a word, and no umbranoids (not even desiged as normal mobs that is without random armor parts). No turps though turp BP drop. Calamusoid armor drops from Rocktropia mobs. No official mentoring program open for everyone (or with officially released requirement). As for places like the "cube", the sneak peak you could get from below has been removed - but for the players point of view it was just a nerf. It would be nice if it was a door or something, or simply remove it imho.

Minopolis changed from a greek village into a favela. Sakura City from japanese inspired into a soviet suburb.

One good thing with vu 10 that surprised me: Vehicles, both ground vehicles and flying and those weren't simply teleporters in discuise.

In VU 9 avatars looked ok. The terrain wasn't as cinematic, but it was more gameplay. In VU 9, you could set the size of windows as you wanted them, and you could turn off wind effects (=trees bending back and forth). There was taming, beacons and customization by beauty masks. There were no TP fees except 10 ped return fee from CP. Two official guides, Simon and Emma.

Somewhre in between I even remember Marco doing a TP-run (from Fort Zeus to Minopolis).

In VU 7 avatars looked a bit ugly (well as for todays standard), but back at that time there were item drops.

this is a mmo, we don`t get loading screens every 10 minutes or when we go to next lvl, thats why they will never implement the full power of CE2. and btw this game looks awsome compare to other MMO that look like cartoons

I will tell my story. I played in all versions prior to 10.0 VU with the following PC:
  • Athlon 64 3000+
  • ASUS N8V Deluxe (socket 939)
  • Nvidia 5200 Grafic card
  • 1GB RAM.
Logically this configuration was not enough to run the VU 10.0, as I could not buy a new computer as I wanted, I started with some updates on my PC to continue playing at an acceptable level. So, the first thing I did was buy a ATI RAEDON 3650 HD AGP graphics card and 1Gb more for the RAM.

Then I migrated to a Atlhon 64 x2 3800+ with the same motherboard. This setting allows me to play with most of the settings on "high" Yes, I dont have a high frame rate, but visual experience is reasonable (see my images in the gallery).

I think it's perfectly possible to play with a computer relatively cheap, affordable for most players. Of course I would like to play with all settings on "very high" but I cant for now.

I want to tell all the players who do not have a huge budget for invest in a PC that they olso can have fun playing in our universe with a cheap computer.

Last edited:
I honestly liked VU 9 graphics better, but im a graphic noob :laugh:

I want to tell all the players who do not have a huge budget for invest in a PC that they olso can have fun playing in our universe with a cheat computer.

The thing that bothers me the most isn't the graphic quality (technically, I can run up to "high" settings but with lesser FPS), but the 20 second of rendering time for each item in storage and one minute for each avatar. And the fact that things like radar update is stalled during the time the computer is busy rendering. I think it's rather awful that client has to render the same fap in the inventory window each time I log in, render each item on screen desktop each time I log in, and re-render avatars each time they leave radar and re-enter radar range (even if I don't see them).

(This came with VU 10.0, but was fixed at VU 10.0.6 or something - but then it came back in VU 10.9...)

Feel free to look on the images on my web site to see how it looked like in vu 9. Ah, not the argo-in-TP picture or the spider-in-hadesheim image lol... "Ego" page shows avatar appearance and my apartment (which used to be with view of TP aswell as the lake, but now is facing another building with lake far away).

As for loading screen between levels: Well, it's almost as loading screens each time you use a teleport chip. And you can't go seamlessly to NextIsland or Rocktropia (or without paying 40 ped one way..).

Last edited:
Just to say! Cry2 was not designet to create MMOs.

True. IMO they should have just stuck with gamebryo.

It was the same engine in Oblivion (not MMO of course) which was a good game. They had REAL TIME REAL combat which I wish EU had. You had to actually try to hit, and you could block. IF EU had implemented that, I would have been better than any eye candy that CryEngine2 brought.

Just imagine how fun fun it would be if a player had to actually play and move around to avoid being hit and to attack. Some might say not possibls. Of course it is. If it can be done in an ONLINE FPS, in can be done in an ONLINE MMO. The engine is made for it, it just takes the effort of the developers to learn to do it.

GameBryo is a good game engine for a programming team that knows what they are doing, just take a look at Oblivion on very high settings.

Back