Dont say Entropia's graphics are bad...

True. IMO they should have just stuck with gamebryo.
GameBryo is a good game engine for a programming team that knows what they are doing, just take a look at Oblivion on very high settings.

Exactly this is the problem, MA dont know what they do! So no matter the engine is Gamebryo or Cry2.
But i think they had to change to cry2, about the planet partners. Cry2 have a sandbox incloud, where everyone can edit the level! And this was need for the planet partners... just my 2 pec

From time to time, I see posts stating how EU's graphics arent that good. So here are 5 pictures taken at the same spot with different settings.

Just to show that graphic quality isn't all:

Imagine a place with partying people, bored people sweating atrox youngs, and feffs that joined the dance.

Ah, and the summer days at sweat camp. Summer all day and night long. A feffoid outcast standing guard at the horizon at the east, on the south a small hill with a pile of stones, where you could find a molisk to pull teeth from. A bit more south, a meadow with roaming armax.

Between the capital Port Atlantis and the sweating place Camp Phoenix, a large swamp with mud-liking creatures like "devastating" tripudion (young ones even tough for a beginner!), tall and mysterious allophyls (fishermen) that were peaceful - until you tried to sweat them.
Between Billys and Camp Phienix - basically a freeay (easy run road) with mobs like snables and bercs and beginners had to run it - but soon learned that it wouldn't catch up even on a beginner, so it was relatively safe. If you took wrong road though (looking on map rather than using a guide) you might have ended up at Avio outpost north of Port Atlantis, and there you met drones for the first time if trying to run straight for Bills.

Ah, and the skeletons: In hadesheim, "Will dance for peds". There were an NPC that was a bit talkative. Actually, the NPCs in hadesheim were able to say more than just "Hi" in those days. In Billys, there was a plane with a lonely skeleton, and the broshure "Safety abord" inside the airplane. And on the island south of Nymphtown, by the beach, a sunbathing dude (skeleton) with a bottle next to him with the text "I can't beleive it's not sunblock" ("Bony Des").

The umbranoid towns - with graveyards and power generators. One even had a (non-working) shop.

Cave in the lake near limnadian district. Before phys-x upgrade, you could climb up the lighthole and stand on top of the stone/hill.

And at end of VU 9, the statue on top of 512m hill which was both mysterious, but explainable.

And one thing that wasn't made by MA (which I, and probably a few with me thought): The Monomyth "mission".

In a way I think cryengine is cool - in a free-to-use game (for basic things) it's a cool thing.

But don't forget the rest.

Beacon missions haven't been implemented - by MA decides to start dropping those items on Rocktropia.

MA issues a statement "avatars who invest time and money should see they avatars rise in value". Sure. But if you can't afford the items needed to progress (Resurrect chip for "death speak") or they suddently drop too rarely what do you do then?

"Items drops so that low level people also can get them". Sure. Low-level beginners have 80 ped ready on their card for the TP fee to go to Rocktropia.

Sweat drops from mining. No official response from MA (though FPC representative states "it's a bug" - but noone from MA or support confirmed it. And not a word about the decision to keep sweat ingame.) And now, what will happen with stamina attribute? A very hard-to-get attribute, wher you usually need to kill 16000+ mobs to get an increase - well my guess as the sweat thing would be: MA will be officially quiet and the people who got the stamina increase will keep it while it will be limited for those of us who didn't get it while it was possible.

Last edited:
And at end of VU 9, the statue on top of 512m hill which was both mysterious, but explainable.

ohh yes, remember that i find this and first post in forum ... lol (ahhh how i liked the old days):)

Thought I'd bump this with my own pics. The cool thing is seeing how much the settings affect the Frames Per Second (clocked via Fraps). Key things to pay attention to: avatar, ground, water, VTOL cockpit.

Gfx card: GeForce 9800 GT w/ integrated ram

Click Thumbnails
For larger pics

Safe mode (150-160 FPS)

Low (125-135 FPS)

Medium (60-70 FPS)

High (35-40 FPS)

Very High (20-25 FPS)

Custom settings that I normally use
Medium to start then change the following:
Render Textures Quality - slide to max
Objects Quality - Low
Texture Quality - High
(50-60 FPS)

For me, that is the best combination of visually appealing, and good FPS.

What I find the most interesting is both the massive difference between low and med and well as the almost non-existent difference between high and very high.

What I find the most interesting is both the massive difference between low and med and well as the almost non-existent difference between high and very high.

Nice pics there John, however I must disagree with the above statement, if you take a landscape picture similar to mine above, there are some very nice effects that only become apparent with very high, such as distant hillsides, much improved cloud, even the sun looks better has some kind of (bloom?) effect.

Some of the above can be seen in my first post, as promised, here is another example of the difference between High and Very High:

High

high4.jpg

Very High

veryhigh4.jpg

High is great, but Very High (if your graphic card can run it smoothly) really is the finishing touch IMO. :painter:

Last edited:
I just noticed this thread. My feelings are the same as aias. my pc can run high ok. but i play on low cause i don't care about graphics. games gotta have game play to be worth playing. most games these days lack much game play and just look great. its sad that old 8 bit consul games are more engaging that even entropia in my honest opinion.

Well have you ever tried any other MMoRPG with nice gfx? The Gfx of Callypso is one of the ugliest available. It looks very unprofessional, has no theme/design, and is very buggy. This is my ingame character in another MMoRPG taken with a 50$ card:
larad.jpg

This is calypso with same computer:
eventissue2.jpg

Even World of Warcraft has better gfx then EU. The gfx isn't as fancy but the graphic design is very consistent. Eu just looks like some teenager did some Tutorials with 3DMax. The only things that look nice camw with the Engine.

Here is what my ava looks like on the same card as Mega has I have no probs withthe way the gfx are in here other then some areas are extremely heavy texture wise and makes the area lose fps.

I think she looks far better then the top one from the other game. The only thing I dont like is the monkey ears that look more like a prize fighters then a womans ear.

Well have you ever tried any other MMoRPG with nice gfx? The Gfx of Callypso is one of the ugliest available. It looks very unprofessional, has no theme/design, and is very buggy. This is my ingame character in another MMoRPG taken with a 50$ card:
larad.jpg

This is calypso with same computer:
eventissue2.jpg

Even World of Warcraft has better gfx then EU. The gfx isn't as fancy but the graphic design is very consistent. Eu just looks like some teenager did some Tutorials with 3DMax. The only things that look nice camw with the Engine.

So you take a screenshot of a static avatar picture that cant even move, and compare it to an avatar from EU with really poor resolution on the screenshot. Clever

Last edited:
I have to say this game offers the best graphics for a F2P experience. Just my opinion. I enjoy them a lot and im sure as time goes on they will update like they already have.

Something that might be worth checking out are teh 'optimal playable settings' that nvidia publishes for their cards, in EU case I guess Crysis is the closest: http://uk.geforce.com/optimise/optimal-game-settings/crysis-ops-geforce-9800-gt for 9800GT. Another thing is really to try out and test the settings and see what gives the best result for your computer and gfx card, not just stick to the handful of presets.

I happened to be hunting when sunrise occured, and so decided to capture some screen shots to better illustrate the improved 'sun':

Medium

medium5.jpg

High

high5.jpg

Very High

very_high5.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Medium

medium6.jpg

High

high6.jpg

Very High

very_high6.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medium

medium7.jpg

High

high7.jpg

Very High

very_high7.jpg

I've seen posts elsewhere stating that you need an expensive PC to get playable "Very High", my PC was built for about £500 in 2008, and to get Very High you need something along the line of a Radeon 5770 or equivalent Nvidia (I've only used ATI / AMD since 1996 so not familiar with the model numbers)

Here is the graphic card I bought last year:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189286

Which I bought primarily because it was a lot cooler and quieter than my previous Radeon 4870.

OK, you're right. the sky does a have a lot more "definition" at very high. I'll give that to you. For me though (just a personal point) the things that I mostly pay attention to ingame, the sky isn't on the list.

However, getting back on topic, I completely agree that the ingame gfx can be pretty kick-ass, even on non-elite gfx cards.

I just hope MA/PPs get better quick when it comes to optimization.

OK, you're right. the sky does a have a lot more "definition" at very high. I'll give that to you. For me though (just a personal point) the things that I mostly pay attention to ingame, the sky isn't on the list.

However, getting back on topic, I completely agree that the ingame gfx can be pretty kick-ass, even on non-elite gfx cards.

I just hope MA/PPs get better quick when it comes to optimization.

I'm glad you concede the point, but the above are just static screenshots, they are there in the background all the time with no performance loss, as I said in my previous post I bought the 5770 because the 4870 was alarming me as it was running at 90 degrees C under load, and was therefore fairly noisy, from reviews I had read the 5770 was equivalent in terms of performance, but ran 20 degrees cooler and therefore quieter. I tried "Very High" on a whim expecting it not to be able to cope, but it did - so much so, that I feel a duty to inform the player base you can play on Very High without forking out for a £400 graphic card (which uses more electricity and is noisier of course) :)

The one I bought is currently out of stock, but if you dont mind a slightly noiser one, you can still buy them:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/262260

There really is no excuse not to upgrade unless you are using a laptop (IMO)

theres some real great sunset views to be seen around eu, i especially like on very high when you see the sun rays shining through trees, i would post some screens but idk whare i left them

I just want to stress, I am not in the fortunate position to be able to upgrade my computer every 6 months and always chase benchmarks, and had to play on medium on a Radeon 3850 for over 6 months when we went to VU 10.0. To get "Very High" in August 2009, required one or possibly two top end graphic cards.

The other important thing to mention is that if you do decide to upgrade your graphic card to get graphics like the above, you may need to upgrade your power supply unit (PSU) as they usually do require more power. :wise:

I run custom settings between med and high on an ATI Radeon HD4350 w/1GB of onboard ram and DVI to my monitor and things still look great. Yeah sure they could be better if your using rl as a benchmark. Or trying to make comparisons to other games. But EU is not other games. I like what I see. I know I could upgrade my video card for a little more detail but graphics are fine for me. I pay more attention to other aspects of the game like friends and playability but I still plenty enjoy the scenery too.

Back