Help: VTOL mounted weapons and pvp

00Dan

Old Alpha
Society
Rapture of Rebellion
00Danny 00Dan Helichopper
I recently purchased the VTOL mountable weapons and did a fort event to try them out. I'm still confused as to how to use them efficiently, for example when I tried to hit a person on the ground the shot me down because I couldn't get at an angle where it was even possible to aim at them. If anybody knows how to pvp with these efficiently please post. Thanks.

There are 2 guns. The back seat gun is more aimable and better for killing things on the ground. The front seat gun is better for air to air dogfights. But in both cases, the weapons are fairly hard to use efficiently.

There are 2 guns. The back seat gun is more aimable and better for killing things on the ground. The front seat gun is better for air to air dogfights. But in both cases, the weapons are fairly hard to use efficiently.

So in that case it would probably be best to ignore ground targets if your in the drivers seat and focus on stationary targets or other vehicles?

So in that case it would probably be best to ignore ground targets if your in the drivers seat and focus on stationary targets or other vehicles?

Yes, my tests with the VTOL weapons bear that out.

the missiles are good for shooting anything in front of you and slightly above you, but doesnt have that great of an elevation or azimuth range.
they gun has awesome azimuth and elevation if you dont want to shoot at anything above the gun mount.

so to hit people on the ground with missiles you have to be at a fairly low altitude which puts you in range of personal weapons. only way around it i guess is to have a sleipnir 3 where you can kill them before they can blow up your aircraft.
the only other problem is even with draw distance at maximum you cant see people unless they are rather close without a scope. so unless you can get their name pulled on your screen you cant see what you are shooting at.

the missiles are good for shooting anything in front of you and slightly above you, but doesnt have that great of an elevation or azimuth range.
they gun has awesome azimuth and elevation if you dont want to shoot at anything above the gun mount.

so to hit people on the ground with missiles you have to be at a fairly low altitude which puts you in range of personal weapons. only way around it i guess is to have a sleipnir 3 where you can kill them before they can blow up your aircraft.
the only other problem is even with draw distance at maximum you cant see people unless they are rather close without a scope. so unless you can get their name pulled on your screen you cant see what you are shooting at.

After playing around with it using what the other poster told me, it seems I pretty much need a gunner to man the fire of hel if I want to use it for any kind of ground attack.

imho rockets are of limited value against anything but stationary targets. You almost have to aim them with the entire vehicle and vehicle control is just not fine enough. Air-to-air hits are very difficult.

On a VTOL, Fire of Hel is the best weapon for air-to-air and air-to-ground, but the pilot can't use it! Grrrr :(

imho rockets are of limited value against anything but stationary targets. You almost have to aim them with the entire vehicle and vehicle control is just not fine enough. Air-to-air hits are very difficult.

On a VTOL, Fire of Hel is the best weapon for air-to-air and air-to-ground, but the pilot can't use it! Grrrr :(

its actually fairly easy as the rockets go to where ever the reticle points to.. though the radar aligns with where the vtol is pointing so trying to shoot the green dot on radar can be difficult as that is where yo would need to line up the vtol with the green dot and then try to figure out where to point the reticule. fortunately it has nice fast reload so you can fire off a nice salvo and hope you get a damage.
the only bummer is the very limited range of movement for the rocket mount.

and all the weapons are useless is you have an opponent in a vtol at your 6 o clock high you cant shoot back unless you climb. so in air to air its best to be above your opponent on his/her six o clock
i agree with not being able to use the fire of hell though.. i wish we could switch between the 2 somehow. or at least if the mounts were interchangeable or a common mount instead of special mount for each weapon

Great thread! Thanks to all of you, you saved me some ped. I am ready for this to become great but it seems we still cannot even sit down much less dogfight or anything really pvp. :( My shopkeeper has more actual ability than my avatar. :D

I was very surprised when i managed to made a kill yesterday with rockets. :eyecrazy:
It was at the rig and someone was shooting my VTOL from a platform on the central building. Couple of aimed rockets and he was dead although the b'stard tried to escape. :cool:

Totally agreed with the posts above - VTOL's rockets are good vs stationary targets (like fort's outside structures) and very hard to use against moving/armored targets from long range distance. You need low altitude and good vehicle control to hit ground targets. Not impossible, but difficult and makes you vulnerable. Against air targets you need an opponent who actually wants to fight. :silly2: Then - you can go in close distance and smack each other with fast merciless shots. From longer distance it's pretty easy to avoid enemy fire with basic vehicle control because rockets need time to reach you.

btw: Does anyone have experience with helicopter's rockets? When i look at the stats they have significantly higher damage than VTOL's (higher armor piercing factor).

Back