MY new netbook.

Zacariaz

Elite
Society
United Talents
Marie T'pol
For along time I've been very much in love with the Asus EEE 1015PEM
It is almost perfect for my needs, which rarely if ever happens, but only almost. Without getting too much in to what I want to do with it, let's just say that 2GB of RAM isn't quite enough, so you can imagine my smile when I heard about intels new atom n570 (the 1015PEM has the n550) and that it should allow up to 4GB of ram! I was so existed, though the excitement was short lived as I was, and still am, unable to confirm this. Intel own CPU specifications simple don't include the information, not yet anyway, and the various netbook producers who are releasing netbooks with this CPU keep a limit of 2GB or fail to specify it.

So, hoping that we have some real geeks on this forum, is this CPU what I've been waiting for or have I been misinformed once again?

Best regards.

Are the graphics "integrated"? If so, don't expect much. That's a fancy way of saying the main cpu ram and gpu ram are one in the same. Most laptops use that model these days making laptops crappy gaming systems.

Are the graphics "integrated"? If so, don't expect much. That's a fancy way of saying the main cpu ram and gpu ram are one in the same. Most laptops use that model these days making laptops crappy gaming systems.

Graphics are of no importance, in fact one of the reasons that the atom n5xx series appeal to me is that the graphics are low end and integrated in the cpu it self together with memory controler, dual cores etc.

This is not for gaming, though of course I will install EU. What did you expect? :D.

If your using this netbook for data entry and for surfing then you should be ok. 4 gigs of ram would be nice but it is up to each manufacturer to decide if they will warrant the use of more ram or not. The best thing to do if you want more ram is to go to the website of say Asus and order the netbook with this option.

If you plan on doning anything that requires some graphical power then you will not want to use anything with integrated graphics! So I wouldn't bother installing EU on this machine. ;)

Second note about graphic cards, they are usefull for helping to take the load of the CPU thus making the computer run faster. ;) Just something to keep in mind when buying or assembling any computer. :)

Edit: after checking some sites it is only going to be using upto 2 gigs of ram..

Last edited:
Okay, I see now that my initial expectation of people trusting that I know just a little about what I'm talking about, willl not hold, so here the whole story, only don't ask why ;)

I want a netbook.
A small 10" netbook with a proper chicklet keyboard.
It need to be powerful enough for regular everyday use, but what I'm really looking for is the perfect balance between power, size, power consumption, etc.

I initially came to the conclusion that that the intel atom n550 was perfect apart from one little flaw, that it seemingly only support the use of up to 2 gb of ram. Had this been a regular desktop or something, I'd simply have bough it and filled it up with ram anyway and if it didn't work, bah, ram isn't that expensive. However, a 4bg ddr3 sodimm module, preferably of a good quality, is a tad too expensive to buy and then throw away again if it don't work.

So why do I need 4bg of RAM?

Well, strictly speaking I don't. Let me then take this opportunity to tell you that I've got EU to run on a virtual machine running xp with 256 mb of ram. Does that mean that I don't need more than 256 mb of ram? Of course not. It's not always enough that it works, sometimes it has to work well too.

In this case I intent to install Gentoo Linux, which is all well and good, only I'm set on using an SSD instead of a regular HDD, and the way gentoo, and many other linux distributions, work, it's a good idea to take certain repercussion, Like not having a swap partition, to map certain areas of the disk to memory to avoid extensive wear and tear on the drive and so on and so forth.

This is why I really REALLY want those 2 gb extra RAM.

So the question remains...

who/what decide how much ram I can use?
well, there's the address space, which ain't going to be a problem since I'm running 64 bit.
There's manufacturer 1. In this case intel.
And there's manufacturer 2. In this case probably Asus.

As Intel actually manufacture the hardware, they have the power so to speak, but I have to assume, considering what I've read, that they actually do allow for the use of up to 4bg of RAM.

Then there's only Asus left. Intel may, for one reason or another, force Asus to only support up to 2GB of ram, but will this limit actually be real, or is it just on paper?

And so on and so forth.

I much appreciate the feedback, but so far you have completely misinterpreted my intentions.

I'm not looking for a gaming pc.

I need to know, if anyone knows, if this limitation is real or not and as a side note I could really use some help with choosing an SSD too, but that's a real problem that I wouldn't expect many people who come here to be able to help with.

LOL It maybe that I missunderstood your intentions but you gave us little to go on! :D

The manufacture of the hardware decides how much ram you can use. In this case it seems that intel N550 will only support upto 2 gigs of ram. (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=50154)

*As for gaming, you did say you would install EU!! ;)*

LOL It maybe that I missunderstood your intentions but you gave us little to go on! :D

The manufacture of the hardware decides how much ram you can use. In this case it seems that intel N550 will only support upto 2 gigs of ram. (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=50154)

*As for gaming, you did say you would install EU!! ;)*

Of course I'm gonna install EU, if I can that is. EU and Linux don't work that well together.

Anyhow, I'm aware of the limitations regarding the n550, what I'm really interested in here is if the same is the case regarding the n570. It is stated many different places that it will support up to 4gb, while intel have yet to update the specifications on their site with the relevant informations and netbook manufacturer planing to release netbook sporting the particular CPU, either don't specify an upper limit or set it to the usual 2GB, probably to be sure not to make promises they can not keep as they, them selves, are not sure either.

So where di the 4gb rumour come from? I'm quite sure that it's part of an official statement from intel, but I can't find the relevant information anywhere.

Ahhh, my bad... I typed in the wrong processor.. :ahh:

I will check some more to see what I can find out.. ;)

And last note.. its not linux that you need to wory about playing EU its the hardware.. Plain and simple your not going to be able to run EU on it.. unless MA have changed thier support for Integrated graphics cards!! :wtg:

edit: looks like they solved your problem (http://reviewslaptop.net/2011/03/02/intel-atom-n570-dual-core-for-netbook/) (Intel Atom N570 will support DDR3 memory, virtualization technology (Intel Virtualization) and up to 4GB of RAM, a change with respect to Atom N550 (limited to 2GB of DDR3 memory).

http://dhanti.com/intel-intros-atom-n570-dual-core-processor-for-netbooks/

Intel now supports 4gb ram then you should be able to get it. :)

And some of these net books have Nvidia cards built into them.. good news for you!! lol

Last edited:
If you want a small, powerful Netbook, take a look at the Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG.
It's very portable, 4gb ram (expandable to 8gb) and has an integrated GPU + a powerful ATI HD5650 1GB graphic card.

You can switch between the two alternatives of GPU with a simple button.
If you use the integrated GPU you have about 12-14 hours standby, and if you switch to the ATI graphics you can play EU without any problems (medium settings).

I've had two EEE netbooks, and I don't see anything better with them really, the timelineX is small enough I think. But really powerful!

Just a tip!

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-3820TG-Timeline-X-Notebook.30294.0.html

I've also installed a SSD disc in it! And I use the 9 cell battery

Ahhh, my bad... I typed in the wrong processor.. :ahh:

I will check some more to see what I can find out.. ;)

And last note.. its not linux that you need to wory about playing EU its the hardware.. Plain and simple your not going to be able to run EU on it.. unless MA have changed thier support for Integrated graphics cards!! :wtg:

edit: looks like they solved your problem (http://reviewslaptop.net/2011/03/02/intel-atom-n570-dual-core-for-netbook/) (Intel Atom N570 will support DDR3 memory, virtualization technology (Intel Virtualization) and up to 4GB of RAM, a change with respect to Atom N550 (limited to 2GB of DDR3 memory).

http://dhanti.com/intel-intros-atom-n570-dual-core-processor-for-netbooks/

This of course is not on an Asus but if Intel now supports 4gb ram then you should be able to get it. :)

And some of these net books have Nvidia cards built into them.. good news for you!! lol

Yes, there are a lot of those cebit review, only intel this haven't got the specifications right. As I said, I assume that it will actually support 4gb of ram, but none of the netbook manufactirers, that I have found, have stated so in their specifications.

Oh and btw. Nvidia and/ or ati graphics is bad news for me, not good news. Remember what I'm trying to do here. Proprietary drivers are absolute hell.

If you want a small, powerful Netbook, take a look at the Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG.
It's very portable, 4gb ram (expandable to 8gb) and has an integrated GPU + a powerful ATI HD5650 1GB graphic card.

You can switch between the two alternatives of GPU with a simple button.
If you use the integrated GPU you have about 12-14 hours standby, and if you switch to the ATI graphics you can play EU without any problems (medium settings).

I've had two EEE netbooks, and I don't see anything better with them really, the timelineX is small enough I think. But really powerful!

Just a tip!

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-3820TG-Timeline-X-Notebook.30294.0.html

I've also installed a SSD disc in it! And I use the 9 cell battery

Again, I need the intels graphics, nothing else.

Regarding the difference between asus and acer, it may seem insignificant at first, but when you take closer look, it's not. Take the keyboard as an example. Asus use real chicklet keyboards, acer usually do not, on their 10" netbooks that is and then there's the overall quality where I think that asus far surpasses acer, but I do not limit my self to asus for that reason.

Well, strictly speaking I don't. Let me then take this opportunity to tell you that I've got EU to run on a virtual machine running xp with 256 mb of ram.

im interested in this part, many of us have tried unsuccsesfully to get EU running properly with wine, please tell us your steps:)

im interested in this part, many of us have tried unsuccsesfully to get EU running properly with wine, please tell us your steps:)

Who said anything about Wine?

VMWare + XP, settings to ultra low, wait 15 minutes and BAM, you're logged in ;)

I did read a thread a while ago though where someone apparently had gotten EU to run through Wine. Probably isn't too hard to find.

Yes, there are a lot of those cebit review, only intel this haven't got the specifications right. As I said, I assume that it will actually support 4gb of ram, but none of the netbook manufactirers, that I have found, have stated so in their specifications.

Oh and btw. Nvidia and/ or ati graphics is bad news for me, not good news. Remember what I'm trying to do here. Proprietary drivers are absolute hell.

Again, I need the intels graphics, nothing else.

I think your still safe. As far as I can tell Asus and the rest don't even sell this yet. Too new?? Maybe they are trying to get rid of old Stock!! lol

Just out of curiosity, why are you set with this Gentoo Linux installation? :scratch2: Some secret plan to take over the world?? :laugh:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why are you set with this Gentoo Linux installation? :scratch2: Some secret plan to take over the world?? :laugh:

Gentoo allow for some serious customization without having to roll your own distribution.

Thus, Gentoo + a rather limited hardware platform = potentially still a very powerful machine, all things considered.

It ain't easy though. It will take a whole lot of trial an error, but hey, that's part of the experience. wouldn't be fun otherwise ;)

Maybe you can login to EU with it... But even browsing the AH might be a pain in the ass. If its only for grabbing the logs, it might work. All mho of course ;-)

As I've already stated, there a other stuff than EU in the world :D

So why you insist to installing it on that machine :p

No way you'll be able to run entropia on there

No way you'll be able to run entropia on there

Maybe not through wine, but I can certainly run it through a virtual machine, though it may not run very well, but again, that is entirely beside the point :D

Maybe not through wine, but I can certainly run it through a virtual machine, though it may not run very well, but again, that is entirely beside the point :D

My netbook can't even run minecraft...

My netbook can't even run minecraft...

Nor can my mobile phone. Different computer are, oddly enough, different.

In any case, enough of this.

This netbook is not for gaming.

No netbooks are.

No netbooks are.

They should be, in general I mean. As long as they get juice they should be able to run anything these days.

Yeh but a netbook is a netbook, and an atom processor is an atom processor no matter how much RAM you have...

No netbooks are.

not do they need 4GB RAM.

intel must deliberatly restrict the Atom's memory access. i'd harazard a guess this is so it doesnt find its way into servers as cheap/low power CPU based clusters. they'd prefer to sell server manufactures a more expensive chip with less restriction on memory access.

Not a bad netbook but also not the best moment to buy one, you could have waited just a bit for more AMD Fusion products, or even get one of the current line.

Good luck with it anyway, it's a great machine.

Last edited:
not do they need 4GB RAM.

intel must deliberatly restrict the Atom's memory access. i'd harazard a guess this is so it doesnt find its way into servers as cheap/low power CPU based clusters. they'd prefer to sell server manufactures a more expensive chip with less restriction on memory access.

Wut? Atom processors are very common in file servers.

Back