Is there a way to download the entire Entropedia database?

TheOneOmega

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Marie TheOne Omega
I would like the ability to run queries across multiple Entropedia tables, i.e. the tables of mobs and each mob's table of loot. I could copy and paste every table into Excel, and then import each one into Access, but this would take forever, and going through the whole process multiple times (to account for Entropedia updates) would be highly impractical. Is there a way to download the entire Entropedia database at once in a form that Access will like?

copy/paste seems to be the best way unless the admin over there can make you a copy of the database itself? I think the httrack idea is also a good idea and is something folks should do from time to time as things change over time. All the weapons fit on 2 pages if you select all so I suspect it would not take as long as you think to copy them individually, but if you are wanting a lot more stuff then weapons, armor, etc. it will definitely get more complicated. For mobs, yes, I suspect it'd be way too time consuming since I think every mob has it's own page?

you can make a database bump IF you have admin rights to the database and I'm guessing entropedia will not give that to you or give you their database, so I', afraid the copy/paste option is the way to go for now

... their database...

who's database? all the input is from the community, its our database. It would be great if there was a dump available, so people could host (read only) mirrors. its crashed or otherwise been down a few times, so some alternatives for the data would be very usful.

cant recall who runs it (i know Neomaven hosts it), how about it?

Last edited:
have a look at Scraperwiki http://scraperwiki.com/

I know you'd have to code it, but it'll give you a data dump in whichever way to want.

who's database? all the input is from the community, its our database. It would be great if there was a dump available, so people could host (read only) mirrors. its crashed or otherwise been down a few times, so some alternatives for the data would be very usful.

cant recall who runs it (i know Neomaven hosts it), how about it?

To the OP:
Witte administers Entropedia. You can pm here and ask him.

However if all you want is the loot table for all creatures, then just go here and copy/paste it.

There's no 'show all' function on that page, but its only 17pages long at 500 items/page so surely cant be that hard or timeconsuming for you?

---------

Oh, and aridash, while its certainly been created by input from the community, I'd have to say that I sure dont see you there as a regular contributor. Surprising how people claim 'ownership' of things...

Last edited:
I would suggest that if you have an idea for a tool that utilises data on Entropedia to consider making it part of Entropedia. In that manner the data remains on entropedia, you have the required access to it to code your tool and there is no need for re-creating DB tables. Parts may be extracted into .CVS but this is largely the result of queries to the DB, not the DB itself.

Personally, I do not believe the database as a whole should be downloadable. Access, yes. Copied, no. The idea of Entropedia is to make information available to all and updatable by all via the Entropedia website. That statement does amount to a claim of ownership, it simply retains credit to the creator(s) and admin.

This is solely my personal opinion and may not reflect the opinions of Entropedia admin or contributors.

I would like the ability to run queries across multiple Entropedia tables, i.e. the tables of mobs and each mob's table of loot. I could copy and paste every table into Excel, and then import each one into Access, but this would take forever, and going through the whole process multiple times (to account for Entropedia updates) would be highly impractical. Is there a way to download the entire Entropedia database at once in a form that Access will like?

You can also download the viewable data on any page in CSV format, which is easly imported into most any program you care to manipulate it with.

Oh, and aridash, while its certainly been created by input from the community, I'd have to say that I sure dont see you there as a regular contributor. Surprising how people claim 'ownership' of things...

did i claim i was a regular contributor? i have added info and made edits in the past, i assume you are aware you can do so anonymously? really, no need to be snipey.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can do with the CVS.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can do with the CVS.

e.g. load into your DBMS, so you get a full copy of the database. Basically every CSV a table and when you have the data in tables you might even normalize it. Then you can run the queries you wish on the db ( ofc works also without normalizing )

Back