Life expectancy of Entropia Universe

What do you think is the life expectancy of Entropia Universe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think unless MA makes the switch to game consoles the life span of this game is limited to maybe 5 years. As sales of netbooks (40% last quarter) and PC's (8% last quarter) drop and smart phones and tablets take over. Games like this will have no where to go. You can't play this game on a phone or tablet. This is why Facebook is grown like it has because it's built to work on phones and all the apps on it.

Then all MMORPG that are PC-based will go down. That ain't happening. I don't like consoles I am a PC gamer and there are many that also do. People don't need to buy PCs every year because a good gaming rig can survive for long time depending on what you play. Also, the games that you play on Facebook, or on smart phones cannot be compared to anything we play nowadays, they are crappy games in comparison.

You can't play a game like this on todays phones or tablets. What about the ones after 5 more years?

What could your phone do 5 years ago compared to your phone today?

Tablet PCs were fictional 5 years ago.

Honestly I see a shorter lifespan for consoles period than for EU. Eventually consoles will be replaced by a computer that just does everything entertainment wise.

A plug and play PC that plays DVDs, console games, records and plays back TV and movies... The capability is already there and eventually somebody will package it all up into one unit and sell it as such.

A computer can already do the same job as a game console (emulators are everywhere) a DVD player, and a DVR.

They have the added bonus of being upgradable as new tech comes out so you don't have to buy a whole new unit.

And before you say consoles kick computers butt for gaming... what do you think is inside that console of yours?

Exactly. I was cracking up at that post. PC gaming is always on top, what do people think consoles have inside? and many companies still make PC only games. A console is cheaper and you don't need to worry about upgrading for a long while, that's the benefit. But PC tablets and smart phones? seriously? The versatility and usability of a PC cannot be compared.

Last edited:
Im not exactly sure thats accurate.

Ive recently become involved with writing the fiction for an upcoming RCE game that can be played on tablet pc's, iphones, etc all through your browser and through apps. This is accomplished using the Unity Engine so far, but the company has been licensed within the last 20 days to begin development using the Hero Engine.

The game doesnt look like Minecraft, I think it bears a closer resemblance to Darkfall Online. And its only in pre-alpha stages.

Blue Mars as well has scrapped its PC development on CryEngine 2, moving to CryEngine 3 and towards a tablet/phone/browser based model.

I feel that MindArk will keep up with trends, and is likely already looking in this direction, though. Their migration from Gamebryo to Cryengine 2 proved to me at least that they are interested in keeping up with technological trends through time. In the coming years we will see Entropia Universe in playable form on Tablets and Smartphones, with extended capability on powerful desktops.

Ive recently become involved with writing the fiction for an upcoming RCE game that can be played on tablet pc's, iphones, etc all through your browser and through apps. This is accomplished using the Unity Engine so far, but the company has been licensed within the last 20 days to begin development using the Hero Engine.

The game doesnt look like Minecraft, I think it bears a closer resemblance to Darkfall Online. And its only in pre-alpha stages.

Blue Mars as well has scrapped its PC development on CryEngine 2, moving to CryEngine 3 and towards a tablet/phone/browser based model.

I feel that MindArk will keep up with trends, and is likely already looking in this direction, though. Their migration from Gamebryo to Cryengine 2 proved to me at least that they are interested in keeping up with technological trends through time. In the coming years we will see Entropia Universe in playable form on Tablets and Smartphones, with extended capability on powerful desktops.

That would be awesome. Yet I fail to see why people want to play these games so much on smart phones or pc tablets. Consoles is understandable completely, but phones and tablets? I hate to play in both. I like the commodity and flexibility I have in my gaming PC, or in a console. I like that I can do anything while playing EU or any other game, how I can run many games at a time, or quickly open the internet browser and look up something in a matter of quick seconds. Most MMORPG out there that are for PC are not likely thinking about porting to consoles or smart phones /tablets, are they? I don't see why you would play EU in a phone unless you want to sweat or craft, and maybe mine since it only involves running and clicking. Imagine EU in such devices, we already lag like crazy, and it takes a while to load an area when you teleport, specially if you run on Very High. I can see a smart phone opening EU and exploding 5 seconds after unless they make it look like runescape.

IMHO, i don't see it happening, at least anywhere soon. And the fact that EU is PC only doesn't have that much of an impact to its population, most of the people I know that have an XBOX/PS3 have a decent computer. I could see EU being ported to these devices as a factor to increase its player base, but the chances of happening...surprise me MA:wtg:

PS: Thanks to all the people who gave me rep+!

This is what I was trying to say. This game needs to change the platform or get pushed to the side. Computers will always be around but they will get smaller as phones become your computer. I used game consoles as a reference because they are made to play on big screens where phones are not yet. As you said Blue Mars (SL is also) gave up the computer base and is looking to the future. The Basic Idea is change or go by the wayside the problem is change costs money and is the payback there? Seeing MA tells nothing about finances anything is just a guess.

This is what I was trying to say. This game needs to change the platform or get pushed to the side. Computers will always be around but they will get smaller as phones become your computer. I used game consoles as a reference because they are made to play on big screens where phones are not yet. As you said Blue Mars (SL is also) gave up the computer base and is looking to the future. The Basic Idea is change or go by the wayside the problem is change costs money and is the payback there? Seeing MA tells nothing about finances anything is just a guess.

Computers and consoles will never go down because of a phone, they are the main gaming platform and saying an MMORPG is unsuccessful for being PC-based is nonsense at least nowadays. What you can do and how you can play on them cannot be compared to games in smart phones. If phones become computers, then essentially, they lost their true meaning. I'd suggest porting to consoles being a great idea, but to these devices? Pft, nty. My phone will never be close to being my computer. Millions of people play and rather play in consoles and PCs, that is where real gaming occurs, period. Smart phones' games are for short entertainment.

EDIT: Perhaps you meant multi platform? Cause saying EU needs to change platform and leave PC behind = dead game

Last edited:
It should have died long time ago. So since it didn't i don't think it will any time soon.
But there is a trend of games coming closer reality so there is now a greater possibility of an alternative. And if there is a decent alternative, EU will die instantly.

people come, people sell out, people freak out, people complain in posts, people leave and more people come!!!

sorry but for those of us who have been playing this game for 5+years, these posts just come and go!!! we have heard it all before, and EU is not only here, but its now bigger than ever!

people come, people sell out, people freak out, people complain in posts, people leave and more people come!!!

sorry but for those of us who have been playing this game for 5+years, these posts just come and go!!! we have heard it all before, and EU is not only here, but its now bigger than ever!

:yay:Hallelujah!!!

Yes, Entropia has survived for years now and could continue to do so for years to come. But to me it seems they've put themselves at a crossroad where expansion is no longer a goal but has become a requirement.

They are still not up to speed on the last migration. Don't think we'll see different platforms introduced soon. Aside from the technical issues I doubt any of the 3 main names are eager to introduce entropia on their consoles. Looks like MA put all their money on the planets. Mobile gaming is becoming very big, but I think PC MMORPG games are not going to be introduced very soon. It's just not the type of game you want to play for 5 minutes while waiting on the bus. Maybe some aspects of EU like auction browsing will come to smartphones.

I wish I knew what the future for EU holds, but I have no idea.

MA has actually released many financial statements, Google it. The most recent I think is for first half 2010.

As many have said, this game and others like it are far from 'needing' to change platforms.

It should have died long time ago. So since it didn't i don't think it will any time soon.
But there is a trend of games coming closer reality so there is now a greater possibility of an alternative. And if there is a decent alternative, EU will die instantly.

The thing about EU is its RCE and its ability for PP to create totally new planets with sometimes new gameplay. I am of those that think that, when creating an RCE game, the company has to be careful or it may end up going the wrong way which is really easy. I don't see it happen nearby (meaning a good RCE game) but if it happens, I wonder how it would look like and what would it be about.:wtg:

Yes, Entropia has survived for years now and could continue to do so for years to come. But to me it seems they've put themselves at a crossroad where expansion is no longer a goal but has become a requirement.

They are still not up to speed on the last migration. Don't think we'll see different platforms introduced soon. Aside from the technical issues I doubt any of the 3 main names are eager to introduce entropia on their consoles. Looks like MA put all their money on the planets. Mobile gaming is becoming very big, but I think PC MMORPG games are not going to be introduced very soon. It's just not the type of game you want to play for 5 minutes while waiting on the bus. Maybe some aspects of EU like auction browsing will come to smartphones.

I wish I knew what the future for EU holds, but I have no idea.

Ok, again, mobile gaming is crap compared to an xbox/ps3/PC. MMORPG are just not the games that you play on your phone at all, most of them. THey are just crappy entertaining arcade games that you can play to kill time, but there are millions and millions of gamers in the world that wouldn't even think of playing in such a thing as a smart phone. We like big screens, delightful graphics, awesome gameplay and the ability to mod a game in every single way. Just look at all the millions of people that are waiting for Elders Scroll Skyrim, and its only an RPG, did you see Elders Scroll Oblivion on phones? Who would play that lol. Seeing people say that phone gaming is growing and that PC platform and even console platform is going down or needs to do versions on a phone makes me sad lol.

Last edited:

Oh yea, about this, so that people don't get the wrong idea. Blue Mars switch to pc tablet/phones and the way they are going to handle subscriptions is something almost everyone is complaining about, or at least those who saw the game, played it, or saw real potential in it. For people interested in this, look it up, look the articles, look the comments, look the interviews, they cut staff, went without CEO, i don't know if they have one now. Therefore, it is failing, they took a potential game and threw it out the window Magyar. It ain't immersive, comfortable, or versatile at all. (Let alone play on those small screens, PC tablet is still a good choice, but I don't see more than 10% using it to play)

Multiplatform is the way to go, like you said. Switching platform = the end of EU. (just to clear out this discussion)

Back