Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Dan Richard Baker
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images

MindArk copying EVE Online?

Now it's a bit of a statement I know, one or two similarities is a coincidence... but a bunch just goes a little far. I think it's quite obvious that someone on the development team is a player of EVE.

Firstly vehicle names. Yes they're directly related to old language meanings for words and I passed this one off as a coincidence. But then it was more than one name. Naglfar is an old boat from legend so made sense.. but sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion. (also these are names of ships in EVE long before vehicles were introduced here)

What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs. http://www.entropiauniverse.com/media/images/ If the designs here don't scream similarity then I don't know what does. Even the new website has for the first time taken steps towards being more EVE styled.

Entropia used to be unique and I loved it for what it was, I just don't see that anymore.

Also to note, if MindArk keeps stepping closer to similarities with other games it could be dangerous ground for copyright infringement.

Comments?
    Last edited by Stutoman; 05-16-2011 at 21:49.

Elite
    Society
    Natural Born Killers
    Images
    Eu always had space with spaceships. So not a big surprise it wants to explain that a bit. This was raised in 2005 even. Ofc it looks like a clone of Eve but then again Eve themselfs are introducing planets where you can walk. So eve is cloning us then.

In short general ideas get taken over a lot. Achievements is now widely copied in every game look at Steam for example. Bullet time was first in matrix then in Max Payne and now almost every game has it .

So No it aint a eve clone.. far from it. Eve is a MMO on their own with no RCE to start with, and more indepth story line (as I am told)

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Dan Richard Baker
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ranpha View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eu always had space with spaceships. So not a big surprise it wants to explain that a bit. This was raised in 2005 even. Ofc it looks like a clone of Eve but then again Eve themselfs are introducing planets where you can walk. So eve is cloning us then.

In short general ideas get taken over a lot. Achievements is now widely copied in every game look at Steam for example. Bullet time was first in matrix then in Max Payne and now almost every game has it .

So No it aint a eve clone.. far from it. Eve is a MMO on their own with no RCE to start with, and more indepth story line (as I am told)
    I'm not saying it's a clone, i'm suggesting that perhaps it's moving in that direction a little more than it ought to be doing. For me Entropia lost its soul the day VU10 was introduced, but now it's just hammering more nails into the coffin.

MindArk Official Ludvig|MindArk's Avatar
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stutoman View Post
    Firstly vehicle names. Yes they're directly related to old language meanings for words and I passed this one off as a coincidence. But then it was more than one name. Naglfar is an old boat from legend so made sense.. but sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion. (also these are names of ships in EVE long before vehicles were introduced here)
    We always had names on things here in EU taken from old myth, religion and such... so no...

And Sleipnir and Gungnir both belonged to Odin, so there is the relation between the two maybe? ^^

EDIT: Also, from what I understand they have been planning for space for a long time... I could say that the vehicle concepts also reminds me of ships from Star Wars, Mass Effect and other games and movies... but then again, all games and movies steals concepts from eachother, or gets similar ones. It happens when you try for a similar (realistic or logic) look.
    Community liaison in charge of player-developer communications.
    If you have feedback or questions, please make a thread about it.

I do not handle support issues and will generally not answer forum private messages.
    This account was made official on June 15th, 2016. Posts from before this date are not official.

Emilia Daenerys Clarke

What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs. http://www.entropiauniverse.com/media/images/ If the designs here don't scream similarity then I don't know what does.

Comments?
    I played Eve Online for several years but I'm not really sure what that design would resemble. A Thorax maybe? Even then, not really that similar.
    As with all things, everything has been done before. And the sole fact that we are most likely going to be flying around more Freelancer-style should set it apart from Eve imo.
    Save the forest - Eat more beavers

MindArk Official Ludvig|MindArk's Avatar
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
    And the sole fact that we are most likely going to be flying around more Freelancer-style should set it apart from Eve imo.
    Ohh I really hope we get freelancer style on space I loved that game
    Community liaison in charge of player-developer communications.
    If you have feedback or questions, please make a thread about it.

I do not handle support issues and will generally not answer forum private messages.
    This account was made official on June 15th, 2016. Posts from before this date are not official.

Now it's a bit of a statement I know, one or two similarities is a coincidence... but a bunch just goes a little far. I think it's quite obvious that someone on the development team is a player of EVE.

Firstly vehicle names.
    . . .
    What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs.Comments?
    I see your point, but don't agree that MA is copying EVE. The names discussed are from old nordic mythology, it's more like this is the inspiration for both CCP and MA, so only natural.

Regarding spaceships being similar, as far as I understand it we will be moving around between different rooms inside them etc, that's not like in EVE at all. And space mobs like Brain Squids and Meteor Worms doesn't give me the same feeling as EVE:s Guristas and other mobs that are inside their own space ships. I'd say there is a fair bit of difference.
    /Ossi Foobar

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Narfi Hungry Willem
    Society
    Lost Renegades
    Images
    Made me think of this,
    9 What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.
    10 Is there anything of which one can say,
    “Look! This is something new”?
    It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Bill Airboy Ivanhoe
    Images
    It's not like space ships and space is a EVE only concept
    We have thousand of SF books, movies and games with ships that look like that. It just a logic move to create space and space travel when we now have more than one planet.
    Last edited by billairboy; 05-16-2011 at 22:27.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    tAS->Entropia Asia Cadets->Entropia Asia->Zoku->NBK->NBK Entrepreneur->Kaos->the Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OMG, you are so right... and NDS copied Diablo II, so the entire virtual world will end in a year after the lawsuits hit,...
    j/k.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast