MindArk copying EVE Online?

Stutoman

Prowler
Society
Freelancer
Dan Richard Baker
Now it's a bit of a statement I know, one or two similarities is a coincidence... but a bunch just goes a little far. I think it's quite obvious that someone on the development team is a player of EVE.

Firstly vehicle names. Yes they're directly related to old language meanings for words and I passed this one off as a coincidence. But then it was more than one name. Naglfar is an old boat from legend so made sense.. but sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion. (also these are names of ships in EVE long before vehicles were introduced here)

What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs. http://www.entropiauniverse.com/media/images/ If the designs here don't scream similarity then I don't know what does. Even the new website has for the first time taken steps towards being more EVE styled.

Entropia used to be unique and I loved it for what it was, I just don't see that anymore.

Also to note, if MindArk keeps stepping closer to similarities with other games it could be dangerous ground for copyright infringement.

Comments?

Last edited:
Eu always had space with spaceships. So not a big surprise it wants to explain that a bit. This was raised in 2005 even. Ofc it looks like a clone of Eve but then again Eve themselfs are introducing planets where you can walk. So eve is cloning us then.

In short general ideas get taken over a lot. Achievements is now widely copied in every game look at Steam for example. Bullet time was first in matrix then in Max Payne and now almost every game has it .

So No it aint a eve clone.. far from it. Eve is a MMO on their own with no RCE to start with, and more indepth story line (as I am told)

Eu always had space with spaceships. So not a big surprise it wants to explain that a bit. This was raised in 2005 even. Ofc it looks like a clone of Eve but then again Eve themselfs are introducing planets where you can walk. So eve is cloning us then.

In short general ideas get taken over a lot. Achievements is now widely copied in every game look at Steam for example. Bullet time was first in matrix then in Max Payne and now almost every game has it .

So No it aint a eve clone.. far from it. Eve is a MMO on their own with no RCE to start with, and more indepth story line (as I am told)

I'm not saying it's a clone, i'm suggesting that perhaps it's moving in that direction a little more than it ought to be doing. For me Entropia lost its soul the day VU10 was introduced, but now it's just hammering more nails into the coffin.

Firstly vehicle names. Yes they're directly related to old language meanings for words and I passed this one off as a coincidence. But then it was more than one name. Naglfar is an old boat from legend so made sense.. but sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion. (also these are names of ships in EVE long before vehicles were introduced here)

We always had names on things here in EU taken from old myth, religion and such... so no...

And Sleipnir and Gungnir both belonged to Odin, so there is the relation between the two maybe? ^^

EDIT: Also, from what I understand they have been planning for space for a long time... I could say that the vehicle concepts also reminds me of ships from Star Wars, Mass Effect and other games and movies... but then again, all games and movies steals concepts from eachother, or gets similar ones. It happens when you try for a similar (realistic or logic) look.

What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs. http://www.entropiauniverse.com/media/images/ If the designs here don't scream similarity then I don't know what does.

Comments?

I played Eve Online for several years but I'm not really sure what that design would resemble. A Thorax maybe? Even then, not really that similar.
As with all things, everything has been done before. And the sole fact that we are most likely going to be flying around more Freelancer-style should set it apart from Eve imo.

And the sole fact that we are most likely going to be flying around more Freelancer-style should set it apart from Eve imo.

Ohh I really hope we get freelancer style on space :yay: I loved that game

Now it's a bit of a statement I know, one or two similarities is a coincidence... but a bunch just goes a little far. I think it's quite obvious that someone on the development team is a player of EVE.

Firstly vehicle names.
. . .
What led me to make this post wasn't any of this however (although it does make a point), but it was when I saw the artwork for the spaceship designs.Comments?

I see your point, but don't agree that MA is copying EVE. The names discussed are from old nordic mythology, it's more like this is the inspiration for both CCP and MA, so only natural.

Regarding spaceships being similar, as far as I understand it we will be moving around between different rooms inside them etc, that's not like in EVE at all. And space mobs like Brain Squids and Meteor Worms doesn't give me the same feeling as EVE:s Guristas and other mobs that are inside their own space ships. I'd say there is a fair bit of difference.
/Ossi Foobar

Made me think of this,
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

It's not like space ships and space is a EVE only concept :laugh:
We have thousand of SF books, movies and games with ships that look like that. It just a logic move to create space and space travel when we now have more than one planet.

Last edited:
OMG, you are so right... and NDS copied Diablo II, so the entire virtual world will end in a year after the lawsuits hit,...
j/k.

:laugh:

OMG, you are so right... and NDS copied Diablo II, so the entire virtual world will end in a year after the lawsuits hit,...
j/k.

Don't forget H.G. Wells suing Next Island for using timetravel :wise:

EU was so unique that they can afford to copy some games. Like quests, archievements and so on.

MA copying (are to be more precise: adding) EVE? I wish! :eyecrazy:

MA copying (are to be more precise: adding) EVE? I wish! :eyecrazy:

Maybe they'll announce a merger in a week or two :laugh:

"EVE Online developers will take care of all space outside the owned Planets." :silly2:

I heard WAY back when I played Eve on the side that EU developers were playing Eve at that point. What 2-3 years ago that was for me? Rumor then was EU was trying to copy eve but it was confirmed to me by Neverdie.
[/QUOTE]

My only question like in Eve when your ship gets blown-up do you lose it??? :eyecrazy::eyecrazy:

Im not sure how much similarity I see to eve, but one of the ship models in the concept art section of the new site was identical to a capital ship in the Unreal mod Angels Fall First: Planetstorm. Some designs are bound to be similar, a space ship is a space ship, but hey, if EVE works, why not use it as an example for how to set up your game? :D

My only question like in Eve when your ship gets blown-up do you lose it??? :eyecrazy::eyecrazy:

YES :(
but ships there cost almost no cash at all
no problem to get another one exepts realy big ones

Eu always had space with spaceships. So not a big surprise it wants to explain that a bit. This was raised in 2005 even.

This is the point I was going to make. Space is something that they have been wanting to expand on quite a bit. There are only so many ways to do outer space gameplay, and make it something that players want to play. Why not borrow some elements of one of the most successful MMOs that does outer space well?

Wolfenstein 3d and even more so Doom, brought first person shooters into popularity. For awhile, every game that came out was a "Doom clone". These days though, we don't look at games like Crysis 2 or Call of Duty and call them Doom clones. You could even say all MMOs are Ultima or Everquest clones. They all borrow elements from each other and try to make things similar so that players who might have played a similar game in the past will be familiar with how the game works.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of similarities between the outer space play and a game like EVE. Hopefully there would be enough differences or additions that make it stand on it's own though, and not a direct ripoff...

Wanna play a EVE clone ? Try black prophecy. Now thats shameless copying

They ALL copy Star Trek so Nyeh!

:D

Tippin'

j/k.

:rofl: How did you know~

Entropia used to be unique and I loved it for what it was, I just don't see that anymore.
Totally agree with this statement, names however is nothing weird if you look at the items and places we had since PE times. What is 'strange' tho is how FPC copied a society and explained the names when they introduced some of the vehicles, look at these two examples:

Odin's Valkyries 11-22-2010 (last edit)

Entropia Universe 11.5.0 Release Notes 12-02-2010

but sleipnir? meaning 8 legged horse that wouldn't really fit with a flying vehicle in my personal opinion.

Sleipnir could fly tho and the name means something like "The gliding" or "The hovering".

Those mythologic names get used over and over again for a simple reason. They are trademark free pretty much worldwide. Everytime you come up with an own invented name you have to check trademarks worldwide and thats quite costly. Things like names of rivers, lakes, montains and very old but well know (documented) names are pretty save to use tho.

What is 'strange' tho is how FPC copied a society and explained the names when they introduced some of the vehicles

Copied? I doubt the person at MA who assigned the names did even think of checking the list of soc names first.

Copied? I doubt the person at MA who assigned the names did even think of checking the list of soc names first.
Then why no explanation of Valkyrie when those were introduced... (or anytime previous by MA, just saying..)

Last edited:
Since Eve is developing walking in stations and the possibility of player owned shops one could ask, is Eve copying Entropia?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-23-eve-onlines-incarna-for-summer-2011

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eve-online-walking-in-stations-hands-on

the first time i played eve 5 years ago, i was a ship floating nowhere in outter space.. there was no avatar.. at the time they were talking about having real avatars and such... is it like that today? I played 2 hours and then left.

One main difference between EVE and EU. In EVE it's all point and click, no WASD, its all automated, almost everything. Sure in EU you can choose the auto-tool to shoot, but you don't auto-skill or anything the like, but even then you have the option not to do so and sometimes auto-tool ain't the best choice.

To the above poster, as of now, yes it is still no avatar, but they are planning on introducing walking into space stations.

So I don't think EU is copying EVE, like many have said, EU has that space mood that it needed, as more PP come in and make more planets. Also, the way that space is going to work here may be nothing like EVE, and also the ability to aim, use WASD and look inside the ship is priceless. :wise:

P.S: MAIN DIFFERENCE!!! EU is RCE :lol:

Back