PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Site Admin
    711's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    EntropiaForum.com
    Posts
    5,076
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOmega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm, at the risk of sounding retarded, couldn't Ajax or Aspx (forget which it is that is used to send data back to the server without refreshing the page) simply be used to toggle between the forum search box and the Google search box before the Search button is clicked?
    Neither AJAX or ASP would be well suited for achieving the functionality you describe. ASP is a scripting language that is primarily used in Windows hosting environments; PCF is coded in PHP and is hosted on Linux. AJAX is not really used to manipulate HTML forms, but rather for allowing queries to be made to the server without the need for full page refreshes or additional page loads (for example when paginating through a large number of search results).

    A checkbox that uses javascript to dynamically change the target of the form (and the various hidden fields required for each of the target scripts) could be employed, like so:

    • checkbox unchecked - form is submitted to the internal forum search script
    • checkbox checked - form is submitted to the Google-powered search script


    However, as I mentioned above, my standard policy is to avoid modifying basic elements of the forum interface, since they are such integral and familiar pieces of the website interface and many users are resistant to changes made to the fundamentals. Also, updates to the forum software will often break customizations of this sort, resulting in lots more work when maintenance is performed.

    Overall, I don't think it's too much of an inconvenience to click the current text-link shortcut, and then simply perform the desired search on the dedicated Google Custom Search page.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Germany
    Avatar
    Nicholas wizzszz Wolf
    Society
    Jurai Blood
    Posts
    5,201
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOmega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A check box next to the forum search button that allows the user to choose to use the Google search instead? If the check box is active, it could take the text entered in the forum search box and reroute it through the Google search box, right?
    Easy as pie... 2 mins of work for an underpaid russian script kiddie.

    {removed}

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOmega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough, and then the error message could be "please try a different Web browser."
    As i said above already, every modern browser supports enough javascript to achieve this.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOmega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm, at the risk of sounding retarded, couldn't Ajax or Aspx (forget which it is that is used to send data back to the server without refreshing the page) simply be used to toggle between the forum search box and the Google search box before the Search button is clicked?
    It's AJAX, but it's not needed here, a bit of javascript is all you need (dynamic html was available out there long before EU or vBulletin were invented...)
    Last edited by JohnCapital; 05-20-2011 at 17:07. Reason: 2.2 - Insults/Flaming

  3. #13
    Stalker
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Avatar
    Marie TheOne Omega
    Society
    Freelancer
    Posts
    2,459
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by 711 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Overall, I don't think it's too much of an inconvenience to click the current text-link shortcut, and then simply perform the desired search on the dedicated Google Custom Search page.
    Very true. I hadn't actually tried the text link until now. It's just as simple as a checkbox anyhow


  4. #14
    Site Admin
    711's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    EntropiaForum.com
    Posts
    5,076
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy as pie... 2 mins of work for an underpaid russian script kiddie.
    I never said it was difficult to implement, nor that I was incapable of implementing it.
    I simply said that I do not believe that it would be desirable to implement such a feature on PCF.

    {removed}

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe the worst bullshit i've heard this year - there is nothing "tricky" and every modern browser supports enough javascript to achieve this.
    Where did I say that modern browsers would not support 'enough javascript to achieve this' ?

    I said 'all browsers' not 'modern browsers' or 'major browsers'.

    My point was that members use a wide variety of devices to browse PCF (for example, many different types of mobile devices), not just the major browsers such as Firefox, IE and Chrome. Thus, it makes sense to use javascript sparingly and only where really necessary, and to avoid using it within areas of basic forum functionality (such as the default search box), so that important forum features work properly on as wide a range of devices and browser flavors as possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's AJAX, but it's not needed here, a bit of javascript is all you need
    Uhm {removed} a dynamic multi-target form field would use javascript, not AJAX. There is no callback to the server required, so how exactly would it be AJAX, as you claim?

    {removed}
    Last edited by JohnCapital; 05-20-2011 at 17:09. Reason: 2.3 - Personal Disputes

  5. 05-20-2011, 02:53
    Reason
    2.2, 2.3 and replies to deleted comments

  6. #15
    Old Alpha Terminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Avatar
    Arnold Terminator Swarzzy
    Posts
    877
    Images
    56

    Excellent

    You are my hero 711!!!!

    With this new feature, I could find in 5 sec that "Thorifoid Camp" was not the right term but "Thorifoid Temple" was.
    (I was looking for these both words in previous search and could not find anything consistent.)

    That's really great, thanks a lot!





    (You must spread blablabla, feel free to unlock a Rep from me to you.)

  7. #16
    Guardian RJ-Rob's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    UK
    Avatar
    RJ Rob James
    Posts
    361
    Images
    23
    very very nice new feature....

    But 1 small problem, it would be better that the search results we got back was date and time organized, so that the newest was first, and if you search for a specific post with image for example, that still gets priority over the rest of the date and time organized search results if that makes any sense

    but nice job

    RJ Rob
    Miner And Crafter

  8. 05-20-2011, 13:13
    Reason
    2.2, 2.3 &/or replies to deleted posts

  9. 05-20-2011, 14:33
    Reason
    2.2, 2.3 &/or replies to deleted posts

  10. 05-20-2011, 15:15
    Reason
    2.2, 2.3 &/or replies to deleted posts

  11. 05-20-2011, 16:05
    Reason
    2.2, 2.3 &/or replies to deleted posts

  12. 05-20-2011, 16:48
    Reason
    2.2, 2.3 &/or replies to deleted posts

  13. #17
    Elite jod's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Australia
    Avatar
    Jod Jod Ekul
    Society
    Antipodean Army
    Posts
    3,870
    Images
    1243
    Dont worry I'll self edit since I see all the other posts are removed.
    Buying Bulk Arkadian 1 Keys

    Does the MA loot Algorithm have a Wi Flag type issue?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Planet Calypso on Twitter  Follow Planet Calypso on Facebook