Question: How to rid any and every trace of EU from my computer?

Huskie

Elite
Society
Apocalyptic Uprising
John Huskie Hunt
Hi all,

So I have this really weird problem when downloading new updates that my download will get stuck on a really tiny seemingly random file, and will simply make no progress at all, no matter how long I leave it running, how often I restart the client, or delete some random stuff to force the repair utility to work, or even uninstall EU itself.

When I try uninstalling EU and wiping all EU related entries from my Registry, the next time I launch the CL, even if from a fresh download, it will still get stuck trying to download that faulty file before anything else. So I assume the CL stores the download order data somewhere else in my PC. Does any tech savvy person know where that would be?

I used to get an error message in the past after letting it try to download the faulty file for ~20 minutes telling me what the faulty file was, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore, so I can't even ask anyone to upload me whatever it is somewhere.

I've also tried contacting support about this issue before, but the answers they gave me not only took a long time to come, but were always crapy answers to make sure it wasn't some stupid basic mistake on my side no matter how often I told them step-by-step about everything ('Are you sure your computer is plugged to a power source?' kind of replies).

Anyway, I seem to be the only person who has these issues with EU, so I don't suppose I'm getting some kind of fix from MA on the matter anytime soon.

Also, when I go to 'Add/Remove programs' in my Windows (XP, if it is of any relevance) and select to remove EU, I get an error message saying "Failed to find uninstall data file", so I can't even uninstall the damn thing properly. What's the procedure to get it off my harddrive properly? I know simply deleting the folder still leaves some residue crap in my computer.

Last edited:
Only potential residue that I found (quick search for entropia reveal a fee more but nothing relevant since they are just directory paths) on my registry would be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Entropia Universe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Entropia Universe]

If after uninstall, your registry still has it, delete the keys (since they would be pointless anyway) and see how it goes.

maybe install to a different directory and make sure the dynamic content folder is gone too (doesnt remove with the uninstaller)

because u have cleaned the registry.

Here is a couple of common problem and solutions.

1: Problem: Owner has no write or read access right of PE files.
: Answer: You should never have to re-install Entropia at all, just copy all files and directories to a new location.
: After that the user will have all access to the new files, now just delete the old Entropia files by using an Admin user if problem deleting.

2: Windows user profile corrupt or messy?
: Delete your windows profile, this will start as if you are a new windows user and backup every thing in that user before deleting any thing.
: (System properties -> Advance -> Settings)
: Or create a new user works the same.

Only potential residue that I found (quick search for entropia reveal a fee more but nothing relevant since they are just directory paths) on my registry would be:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Entropia Universe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Entropia Universe]

If after uninstall, your registry still has it, delete the keys (since they would be pointless anyway) and see how it goes.

Thanks, but like I said, I already have tried deleting all EU-related entries from my registry and that didn't hel

maybe install to a different directory and make sure the dynamic content folder is gone too (doesnt remove with the uninstaller)

I'll have to check that dynamic content folder, but if it's located within EU's directory I'm fairly sure it has been removed on my last attempt to uninstall and remove registry entries then reinstall.

because u have cleaned the registry.

Here is a couple of common problem and solutions.

1: Problem: Owner has no write or read access right of PE files.
: Answer: You should never have to re-install Entropia at all, just copy all files and directories to a new location.
: After that the user will have all access to the new files, now just delete the old Entropia files by using an Admin user if problem deleting.

2: Windows user profile corrupt or messy?
: Delete your windows profile, this will start as if you are a new windows user and backup every thing in that user before deleting any thing.
: (System properties -> Advance -> Settings)
: Or create a new user works the same.

I'm running WinXP as single user, so it runs everything as admin already automatically.

:smash:

Unfortunately this is only a one time solution, but it's 100% guaranteed to work :yup:

There's a Mindark section in the registry, and a hidden backup client loader file in a hidden file, app data maybe?

Dynamic content doesn't get removed on uninstall, nor do the above two things.

What's the procedure to get it off my harddrive properly? I know simply deleting the folder still leaves some residue crap in my computer.

Easy!

Mission accomplished! :wtg:

Has nothing to do with registry, uninstall etc, it has to do with the public content, which isn't deleted if you uninstall. You'll find it in the ($PUBLIC) folder, which on windows 7 is c:\users\public, on your system it is probably one folder up from Public Documents, but I can't remember which one this is (don't have XP installed anywhere right now)
Deleting the entire Entropia Universe folder there should be enough (no need to mess with uninstall/install or registry or anything). If the client still works, you should also be able (before you delete stuff) to stop the download and do a clientrepair, if you don't want to download everything again though.

As someone else mentioned, there are three places files are placed:
The program directory (search for entropia.exe and then step down a few steps in hierarchy)
The dynamic content directory (search for settings-ce.cfg)
Log files (search for chat.log), typically under "%USERPOFILE%\documents\Entropia Universe" or something like that; "documents" varies for windows version and windows laguange).

Has nothing to do with registry, uninstall etc, it has to do with the public content, which isn't deleted if you uninstall. You'll find it in the ($PUBLIC) folder, which on windows 7 is c:\users\public, on your system it is probably one folder up from Public Documents, but I can't remember which one this is (don't have XP installed anywhere right now)
Deleting the entire Entropia Universe folder there should be enough (no need to mess with uninstall/install or registry or anything). If the client still works, you should also be able (before you delete stuff) to stop the download and do a clientrepair, if you don't want to download everything again though.

Ok, I'll try deleting that folder. But as far as the repair tool goes, it remains blacked out during download, the only way I can make it fire up is by deleting some file, the version.txt one I believe, which only causes it to fire up and re-download that then go back to get stuck trying to download the tiny file, it doesn't help at all.

As someone else mentioned, there are three places files are placed:
The program directory (search for entropia.exe and then step down a few steps in hierarchy)
The dynamic content directory (search for settings-ce.cfg)
Log files (search for chat.log), typically under "%USERPOFILE%\documents\Entropia Universe" or something like that; "documents" varies for windows version and windows laguange).

Thanks, aia, that's good to know, both for now and for future reference, when I undoubtedly am faced with this problem yet again.

UPDATE: Deleting the dynamic content folder made it restart downloading 'normally' again, but unfortunately it got stuck in a tiny file yet again. :banghead:

Last edited:
Didn't you have a similar problem to this a few months back? What did you do to fix it last time?

Didn't you have a similar problem to this a few months back? What did you do to fix it last time?

Last time I managed to figure out what the problematic file was due to an error pop-up after leaving it downloading for some time, and wisszz helped me out by uploading that file somewhere. However, without getting error messages telling me what the file is, this time around, I have no idea how to tell what bloody file is giving me trouble.

Bump...

Still stuck in limbo.

Back