Please don't add items based on hearsay to Entropedia!

While we're talking about Entropedia edits, can I just request that before an item is deleted, that its linked records be deleted too ?

for example .. (and this is just one of many of the same sort of thing recently)

Someone deletes oh, say a blueprint like the MF-101 blueprint...

Just ripping that blueprint out of its table, doesnt remove the linked blueprint drops, the linked blueprint materials etc etc etc. These just end up as broken links in tables, that then need to be individually cleaned up.

I've just cleaned up the Blueprint Drops table (again!), but see there's also a few pages in the Blueprint Ingredients table with unlinked materials that will need to be individually removed.

The same goes for when mobs are deleted, and the linked loot table records are left as broken links; or avatars are deleted, and the Avatar Skills table left full of broken links.

I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time lately removing this sort of 'deadwood' that is being left behind - and it's starting to get a bit irritating.

I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time lately removing this sort of 'deadwood' that is being left behind - and it's starting to get a bit irritating.

Yes, and think about us nubs who have to sort through the driftwood for answers. Really people, don't you realize that there are a lot of serious players out there who don't appreciate conjecture? your random imagination is NOT welcome.

Let there be a number of appointed people who know what they are on about, I can't tell how many times my soc members and me have bitched about the lame ' I think this is right, cos I heard it from a dream' additions.

Truth counts :smoke:

I am not really convinced that edits should be checked before they are applied. I haven't really been active lately so don't know what has been going on. Can anyone give insight on how many wrong edits have been made?

As for adding items that have not been spotted yet, I personally don't really have a preference. It is possible to add a value to the "Discovered" drop down saying "Not yet" or something.

While we're talking about Entropedia edits, can I just request that before an item is deleted, that its linked records be deleted too ?

for example .. (and this is just one of many of the same sort of thing recently)

Someone deletes oh, say a blueprint like the MF-101 blueprint...

Just ripping that blueprint out of its table, doesnt remove the linked blueprint drops, the linked blueprint materials etc etc etc. These just end up as broken links in tables, that then need to be individually cleaned up.

I've just cleaned up the Blueprint Drops table (again!), but see there's also a few pages in the Blueprint Ingredients table with unlinked materials that will need to be individually removed.

The same goes for when mobs are deleted, and the linked loot table records are left as broken links; or avatars are deleted, and the Avatar Skills table left full of broken links.

I may be able to make it so that dependent items are also deleted. I will look into this when I have time.

I think the present self-policing works rather well.

Self-policing? Are you sure that you refer to the current system?
It seems you have no idea how it works atm...

Considering less than 15% of all BP's have this entry completed this statement is nonsensical - exemplified for most pre VU10 BP's. Check the data, the column is hidden by default in most charts.

This has a simple reason:
The column was not there from the beginning, most new entries added since do have this properly filled, a blank column means it has been there before the column has been introduced.

Taking the latter into account, almost all BPs have this entry completed.

However, i have no idea why you think adding a BP (and ignoring it's "Discovered" column) is ok.

The current system works well and allows everyone to contribute how they choose to.

It allowed you to make questionable edits... and what's even better: The system allows that i remove every single BP added by you, aint that neat? ;)

The entropedia internal messaging system serves the purpose to contact one another to sight, edit and communicate its contents - no 'council' needed imo.

My suggestion aimed to improve the quality, the reliability of the values - i don't understand how anyone who has ever made some entries can refuse an improvement like this (especially w/o suggesting alternatives).

If you don't like a council, fine, we don't have to stick to my suggestion... but is there really noone interested in improving the way it works?

However, i have no idea why you think adding a BP (and ignoring it's "Discovered" column) is ok.

I have no idea why either as I did not say that. Possibly your telepathic ability enables you to read my thoughts. Interesting, you have a habit of putting words in others mouths.

It allowed you to make questionable edits... and what's even better: The system allows that i remove every single BP added by you, aint that neat? ;)

That is neat, isnt it? - then do so.

Hardly 'questionable' edits considering they have no numerical data attached to them. More something that a vocal few do not agree with. As for removing every single BP i've added, you'd be removing more new BPs with materials and data which is perfectly correct - sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

While you are there go through the 10k edits that the system has enabled me to make as well. Or shall I remove all of them myself.

Easy to sit back and comment when you make no contribution except for your need to feel justified.

My suggestion aimed to improve the quality, the reliability of the values - i don't understand how anyone who has ever made some entries can refuse an improvement like this (especially w/o suggesting alternatives).

The reason you dont understand is that it is your point of view. Opinions are not fact. I was mearly stating a preference, you should be too.

I have found mistakes made by almost every contributor - with such a large dataset that will occur. Policing is in the ability to edit and not assigning bureaucrats. I believe the current system is adequate, therefore no alternative suggestion is required on my part.

Quote and reply til your heart is content.

Last edited:
I have no idea why either as I did not say that. Possibly your telepathic ability enables you to read my thoughts. Interesting, you have a habit of putting words in others mouths.

No need for telepathy - according to Oleg you already did that.

Interesting habit you have there, twisting words as you see fit... not gonna work with me though.

The reason you dont understand is that it is your point of view. Opinions are not fact. I was mearly stating a preference, you should be too.

And you base your "observation" that i am unable to distinguish between opinion and fact... on what exactly?

Your post is pretty arrogant and self-righteous, no wonder you were inable to settle whatever you have going on there with oleg.

The "preference" to have all the time and effort one puts into updating entropedia not wasted should be a no-brainer.
Maybe a strange guy like you is fine when their updates are invalidated by some vandals - most others actually do care!
But then again, maybe you just don'T care because you are just a vandal yourself.

Don't bother replying, there's nothing to add - any word directed to you appears to be just wasted time.

I may be able to make it so that dependent items are also deleted. I will look into this when I have time.

Bless you, Witte :)

Bless you, Witte :)

Items without a valid key value are now no longer visible in charts. It is a bit of a quick fix, as the items are not removed, as can been seen by the number of items. (Showing 2011 of 2021 items for example)

Has there been a rash of intentional false editing in/out items lately?

That'd kinda suk.

I know I've seen some that were prolly incorrect, but they seemed too minor to be on purpose, if indeed they were/are incorrect.

I KNOW people that have entered items into E-Pedia have to of intentionally left out some items - not wanting to let anyone know when/where/what dropped a "cool" item.

But other "non-entries" just always seemed odd to me...Most recently, a lousy RK-5 BP.
I've just now noticed that the only thing (entered) that drops a RK-5 BP is....A RK-5 BP.
Now I can confirm now that it actually does drop itself, but off and on for moths I checked and it just wasn't there (what drops the BP).

I hoped this was just an overlooked thing to enter, tho I would've thought out of the amount of people that contribute there, SOMEONE would've put that info in...

Not really a "cool" item to keep to one's self, thus i just thought, and still do in that case, an oversight.

I certainly hope nobody is intentionally fucking up entries to "hahaha" at the people they will never know who might use and lose on the false information.
That's just simple minded juvinile behavior.

Although (here's comes aj's non-sugarcoated opinion) after slightly over a year here on EU i have noticed that more and more people/players are just flat out fucktards in one way or another and i can very well believe someone would intentionally screw with the E-Pedia stats just to be a, well, a Fucktard.

Has the fucktardedness really increased that much over this small time frame or am I finally learning the "games within the game"?
If that's the case, i wish i was an ignorant OJ n00b again...
:/

ED: This was NOT directed at anyone in particular, especially in this thread. Just a, well....

Tippin'
P.S. The word "Fucktard" may not be used for one week as I have filled it's quota for the time. Ty.

Last edited:
The problem isn't people intentionally putting in bad data, it's people putting in data when they don't understand what they're doing, e.g. incorrect decay values, incorrect addition of items etc etc.

I don't think anyone is suggesting deliberate sabotage.

For the BP drops most people don't even bother inputting that info. It's one of the most pointless parts of Entropedia imo because it's largely accepted (and I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise) that any BP can loot any other BP within the same profession and within +/- 4 levels. Plus nowadays there is the planet dimension too.

I don't think anyone is suggesting deliberate sabotage.

Tho I am sure there has been a few instances of this, I hope not.
I think i just got the wrong feeling at the end of the 1st read around and after a 2nd and 3rd, it does seem more to the "if you enter, please make sure the info is as accurate as you can...".

that any BP can loot any other BP within the same profession and within +/- 4 levels.
Hm, this is a new one and doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility.
Ya learn something new everyday.
:)

I'll still enter BP drops, if i ever get any that might be worthy.
...Then again, maybe a lot don't think RK5 is worthy yet i do.
To avoid hypocrisy, I'll check all my BP drops against E-Pedia and add if it isn't there.

Srry about the mini-rant earlier, all...I suppose i could just edit it out but I said it so I'll leave it and live with it.

Tippin'

Tho I am sure there has been a few instances of this, I hope not.

It has, but not very often afaik, and it's not what this thread is about.

Hm, this is a new one and doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility.

I was grinding Generic Leather Texture for a while and iirc I looted all but 2 of the unlimited level 1-5 texture BPs (no L BPs because at that time it wasn't possible to loot L BPs when clicking a level 1 BP). I had a similar experience with Basic Filters some time before that, looting everything except for Hardened Alloy and Metallic Bone Replacement which are well known to be very rare drops. For me the case is closed.

Last edited:
The problem isn't people intentionally putting in bad data, ...

Well, this happens all the time, too - i.e. people selling a particular item and editing the price on entropedia a bit in their favour, people buying LAs and adding very rare drops to the drop tables of mobs on their landarea, and well, simple vandalism... happens all the time.

So i'd say it's both.

And on a side note: The lack of control what happens to updates i made is one of the reasons why i reduced my contributions to entropedia to mere loot table updates every now and then - it feels like a huge waste of time when people overwrite your entries with complete nonsense.

I think I will go add some fake info on entropedia... just to piss ppl off...

I think I will be looting a mm from a snable next week.... and I saw evic now did 100% cold dmg.... who knows what I might change ;)

:popcorn:

I had thought this was covered by the required field to put some comment with additions to tables. Of course that doesn't stop someone to enter garbage with some random comment as mischief.

I've been adding all that I can to the info on Next Island creatures and drops. I always add the comment that the mob stats were "scanned" (in the case of damage potential and stats) and "observed" (danger level) for a given maturity where that info was missing, or something like "had this drop" for loots. I have the current data for the mobs I can currently hunt on text documents next to my windowed game, and if something shows up in my loot window not on the list, I type it on my notes to add later, same with scans for maturities missing data. Don't have to look far for NI critters who have very sparse data.

Some stuff I don't know what to do about, might mention one here, the blueprint book "Next Island Limited" is not on the blueprint book chart, though it's sold on the NI Technician and I own it. I haven't tried to add it, as I expect it may not let me save the new entry without some blueprint or other in it, and I don't yet have any prints yet that go in that book. Also, the new Elysian book is being patched/fixed as it was missing from the recent content release. (I don't yet have it, and it may not be live yet. Last time I was on Next Island it was being worked on.) So I'll need to look into how to add blueprint books.

But yeah, there's things about making changes to Entropedia I'm still learning, but entering junk data helps no one. I can't claim I've never made a mistake.

I have only been hunting and scanning low level papoos, petite papoos, boars and buccaneer skeletons, and scanning high level creatures from a distance, but there are plenty of empty data slots for many maturities and there has yet to be less than 6-10 loots I have been able to add to any of the creatures I've hunted. Anyone who wants to do data gathering, Next Island needs you. Calypso is pretty complete by comparison for obvious reasons.

What I wish I understood was how people figure out creature damage types and things, beyond what a scanner shows.

What I wish I understood was how people figure out creature damage types and things, beyond what a scanner shows.

This needs a range of different armor types, allowing oneself to be hit once, and then checking decay using the 'fruit' or 'shopkeeper' test.

It's not something I've personally attempted to measure, but I'll point Gypsy to this post and ask him to reply more fully when he is able.

This needs a range of different armor types, allowing oneself to be hit once, and then checking decay using the 'fruit' or 'shopkeeper' test.

It's not something I've personally attempted to measure, but I'll point Gypsy to this post and ask him to reply more fully when he is able.

Well it takes a bit of work and maths, first you need to get the damage level my getting hit heaps naked and recording all the damage so you can work out the min/max damage. Then you go out in various armours and plates take 1 hit and then measure the decay. Then do some maths.

Here's a good example: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?200337-Steel-Bird-damage-and-armour

Here's the maths: http://www.entropiawiki.com/Page.aspx?page=Armor+Decay

Here's how to measure decay: http://www.entropiawiki.com/Page.aspx?page=Calculate+the+decay+of+an+item

Gypsy

Finding the exact proportions can be tough, depending on the damage type combination. It's a fun challenge though.

But like in Gypsy's first link above, you can get some basic information pretty fast. With a good range of armours and plates you can eliminate damage types and deduce which damage types the mob does. For instance, if a 6A plate doesn't decay when hit, you know the mob does no burn or penetration. If Goblin doesn't decay, you know the mob does no Impact or Acid.

Spacecraft Systems also unlocks at Level 5 Spacecraft Engineering. Someone with an account can update it (I tried registering a while ago and had trouble). Was kind of a bad surprise as I would have gotten a nicer screenie if I knew I was about to unlock it.

Spacecraft Systems also unlocks at Level 5 Spacecraft Engineering. Someone with an account can update it (I tried registering a while ago and had trouble). Was kind of a bad surprise as I would have gotten a nicer screenie if I knew I was about to unlock it.

Entropedia updated. Thanks for posting :)

Back