Fishing: A new activity for Entropians

just make the fishing poles that are already in game work for this profession, lol

just make the fishing poles that are already in game work for this profession, lol

Yep, that's the point of this idea.

Another point, which seems to be falling aside, is that this activity does not engage regular creatures. It's not a method for hunting, nor would it be able to accumulate items from the loot pool.

If fishing could be used for hunting than we would have to have multiple tiers of fishing poles capable of dealing 'fishing damage' to a mob before bringing it to the surface. This would cause decay, and fishing would be expensive. This would undermine the aspect that fishing is an activity for everyone to enjoy.

Instead perhaps fishing would allow folks to engage certain graphical 'illusions' that might be in the water (such as the fish at Genesis). Players could catch selected types, and exchange those for items with an indirect market value (tokens). Like sweat, the value would be low TT, but because accumulated tokens can get valuable items, these tokens would then be tradeable, allowing low cost players a way to balance their PED books.

Fishing at its heart is a customer retention mechanism, in this system anyway.

If only MA knew how to add stuff like this...

Read first page of replys and all seemed amazing, I wish MA had their brainstorm like you guys

VERY NICE IDEA...

maybe some rare items could be looted by getting stuck on the line. on very rare occassions, and could constitute a sooto or fishing global so to speak

Put treasure map pieces in the loot pool. Get all the pieces say 4-5 and make a map. The map leads to some instance like a beacon mission but with different mobs and non space ship. Maybe fight mobby dick or some pirates or have to catch the big one that got away?

Have a free fishing system, which you can global and hof and ATH by the weight of the fish, ofc this would not make you rich, it would just give you the name of fishing :).

This is a great suggestion. I did in fact write design specifications for a fishing system about a year ago while I was still writing platform systems, maybe some of the ideas from the two plans can be combined.

Keep in mind that an implementation of this is a long, long, time away. Most likely over a year.

Ok Kim, it hasn't quite been a year, but its getting close, so I will bump this for you, to remind you ;)

Ok Kim, it hasn't quite been a year, but its getting close, so I will bump this for you, to remind you ;)

I won't write about old systems coming back first as you requested however...

Look at when taming was expected to be back according to information given and how long it's been so far with no resolution in sight. Just as an example, because there are a lot of other things that haven't come on time either. Did you really truly in your heart think it would actually be something that would come about on the originally given time frame?

* Enable old fishing rods to be "functional" again.

* Make fishing a purely free social activity. No peds gains or losses. Bringing social activities to EU will bring more people in. Perhaps other multiplayer/team minigames as well: Soccer, Bowling, etc.

* Social globals/HoFs (as suggested above) with nil monetary values can be fun. By weight, size, rarity, discoveries, planet, etc.

* Drop some crafting BPs for fishing rods, and aquariums. :)

* Let aquariums be in various sizes and animated with fish inside. Fishes can be caught and added to aquariums. And they can be used for home/shop decorations.

* Taming + fishing?? ;)

Bumping this idea. Anyone with new discussion points? It's been on my mind.

I just don't understand why people want fishing in this game so bad... it's one of the most boring profession/hobby IRL to me. But it beats sweating i guess...

I just don't understand why people want fishing in this game so bad... it's one of the most boring profession/hobby IRL to me. But it beats sweating i guess...

Exactly. It diversifies the low cost activities in the game. This ultimately increases player retention because there is a perception of change.

ermik ermik ermik catched a Great White Shark worth 455 ped and has been recorded in the Hall of Fame!

ermik ermik ermik catched a Great White Shark worth 455 ped and has been recorded in the Hall of Fame!

This one is for you:

fishing in a sci fi mmo? really?

This is a world of mayhem and :sniper::twocents:

Its a world. Where people spend alot of time. This is one of many mini game activities I advocate for EU that will increase player retention. downtime should not always consist of sweating or bullshitting in #rookie.

Back