Help: Nearly a year gone by and I STILL can't install this crap...

Huskie

Elite
Society
Apocalyptic Uprising
John Huskie Hunt
Ok, it's been nearly a whole year since my client loader has decided to be a wanker and simply fail to download some really seemingly random tiny files halfway during updates.

I have tried everything: deleting EVERY trace of EU from my computer including registry entries, deleting the version.txt file to force the repair tool to work (otherwise it just remains blacked out during the download that never finishes), disabling firewalls and all other protection while attempting to download it, using proxies and asking people to upload me the faulty file. The last one being the only one that worked, but since now the piece of shit client loader won't even give me an error message anymore to let me know which file it is having trouble downloading, even if I leave it running for days, I simply have no way of knowing where the problem lies.

It ALWAYS gets stuck on some random few kB-sized file.

Last time I even tried contacting support, when I still could find out what files were giving me trouble, and those useless bastards wouldn't even provide me a link to download the file directly from them via some other source (and yes I was very polite and specific in my request, they just deliberately chose to be useless morons). So I'm not even gonna waste my time with them again.

It has almost been an entire year since I last managed to log into EU, no matter how often they update that shitty client loader, it still doesn't fix the problem. If my account ends up getting purged because of this bullshit I'm going to be majorly pissed.

Biggest reason I'm posting this is because I hear there is finally a bit more communication from the powers that be going on, so I hope they acknowledge this bullshit, because something like this is plain untolerable in a game involving real money where there is risk of a purge for inactivity.

Hi, sounds like your OS is corrupt... Did you try installing CL on some other PC in your home?

I would do a windows repair, maybe 1st go for "safe mode" (F8 during bootup) and uninstall the bloat sw if any. Then try Glary Utilitys (there is lite version with no toolbar) to clean the registry and shortcuts or even better re-install the win. Go for win7 If not already there.

Cheers,
Robo:smoke:

how do you just chill for a year with your game not working? id be going nuts and have already fixed my computer.

anyway I second an OS re-install. fresh install does wonders to clean up a buggy system.

Buy a 50 backup, or a 200 buck laptop., and dload to that. Then just copy the files to your normal comp. If the 50buck sokution fails, have some words to your ISP.

I did have a si ilar problem recently ( though hardly as drastic) where the system could not find a .dll file - placing a fake file into eu directory fixed the problem:confused:

My system is heading to 4.5 yrs (one graphics card change required), so i blame the crappines of it :p

Ps when was the last time you checksys or defragged

Odd indeed.

I can honestly say I've been there, having some sort of corrupt file or some shit, then having to delete all files and anything associated with EU, reboot, download..... WAIT.... then have it do the exact same shit. :mad::eyecrazy::mad:

I've also got this other 'kinda error' well the CL has the DL bar at the bottom and it says there is a 7Gb download and it sits about half way trying to get me to believe that its downloading at 1.5 to sometimes 10Gb per second on a 56K modem (I don't think so)

Tell you one way to test it is to, find a mate IRL thats got the game working at home 'copy' :scratch2: 'paste' do a small download, run the repair tool...:ahh:

:bowdown:'PRAY':bowdown:

I do know that this works, I've got two PC's one lappie and two were done this way.

Well one hopes you are able to get your account up and decaying asap!

Ps when was the last time you checksys or defragged

This is a good point, one must treat one's system (PC) as if it were one's system (body) :wise:

Ok, it's been nearly a whole year since my client loader has decided to be a wanker and simply fail to download some really seemingly random tiny files halfway during updates.

I have tried everything: deleting EVERY trace of EU from my computer including registry entries, deleting the version.txt file to force the repair tool to work (otherwise it just remains blacked out during the download that never finishes), disabling firewalls and all other protection while attempting to download it, using proxies and asking people to upload me the faulty file. The last one being the only one that worked, but since now the piece of shit client loader won't even give me an error message anymore to let me know which file it is having trouble downloading, even if I leave it running for days, I simply have no way of knowing where the problem lies.

It ALWAYS gets stuck on some random few kB-sized file.

Last time I even tried contacting support, when I still could find out what files were giving me trouble, and those useless bastards wouldn't even provide me a link to download the file directly from them via some other source (and yes I was very polite and specific in my request, they just deliberately chose to be useless morons). So I'm not even gonna waste my time with them again.

It has almost been an entire year since I last managed to log into EU, no matter how often they update that shitty client loader, it still doesn't fix the problem. If my account ends up getting purged because of this bullshit I'm going to be majorly pissed.

Biggest reason I'm posting this is because I hear there is finally a bit more communication from the powers that be going on, so I hope they acknowledge this bullshit, because something like this is plain untolerable in a game involving real money where there is risk of a purge for inactivity.

Computers aren't for everyone; maybe you should buy a Mac if you must compute.

The guys above are correct, if it's been over a year just reinstall your OS (at the very least do some tidying up.. chkdsk/defrag/etc..)

If you are against doing a reinstall, ask someone with the same OS as you to zip the game directories and then setup a private FTP server between them, that should get you any files you are missing.

Is there some compelling reason that wiping your hard drive and reinstalling the OS, then EU hasn't been an option for an entire year?

Is there some compelling reason that wiping your hard drive and reinstalling the OS, then EU hasn't been an option for an entire year?

Yes, of course. EU running fine on second computer, which is near by.

I can honestly say I've been there, having some sort of corrupt file or some shit, then having to delete all files and anything associated with EU, reboot, download..... WAIT.... then have it do the exact same shit. :mad::eyecrazy::mad:

I've also got this other 'kinda error' well the CL has the DL bar at the bottom and it says there is a 7Gb download and it sits about half way trying to get me to believe that its downloading at 1.5 to sometimes 10Gb per second on a 56K modem (I don't think so)

Tell you one way to test it is to, find a mate IRL thats got the game working at home 'copy' :scratch2: 'paste' do a small download, run the repair tool...:ahh:

:bowdown:'PRAY':bowdown:

I do know that this works, I've got two PC's one lappie and two were done this way.

Well one hopes you are able to get your account up and decaying asap!

Yep, that's exactly what's happening now. Earlier, when I would still get the error message, it would just keep trying to download for no avail for about 20-30 minutes then give me an error message saying what file it couldn't download (or something to that effect), now it just displays some ludicrously high download speed the longer it is kept running and never gives any error message or makes any progress at all (sometimes the progress bar even regresses).

As for why I haven't defragged my whole system:

1. It's a fairly new computer
  2. I have run optimization tools less than a month ago (TweakNow PowerPack 2011, to be specific, which includes registry cleaner and a bunch of other optimizations)
  3. I have a lot of other stuff in my computer, I really don't feel like going through the hassle of backing up and/or reinstalling just because EU's client loader is made of fail
  4. I'm not even sure that would help at all. Hell, deleting every single trace of EU would make one believe it would 'reset' the client loader completely, but no, if it is the same problem as I was having in the beggining of the year, when all this crap started (which I highly suspect is the case), it always restarts EU's download from the same tiny little faulty file and gets stuck from the start already somehow, eventhough there is absolutely nothing in my computer to "remember" the client loader of it's download progress or that it was last downloading that file before I wiped everything out.

I remember there being an FTP from mindark itself where they made EU's and Calypso's files available for direct download, but for some reason they took it out apparently. If they merely changed it's address and somebody knows where it is now, I'd really appreciate it if they could tell me.

Alternatively, and I know this is a long shot, but if somebody running windows XP 32 bit could do the FTP thing suggested by Cryte I'd also be very, very grateful.

Unfortunately, from previous experience I know these solutions will only last until the game is updated again, so the really IDEAL solution would be for MA to find out wtf is wrong with the client loader and fix it, especially since apparently I am not the only one who had/has this issue.

.... running windows XP 32 bit could do the FTP thing suggested by Cryte I'd also be very, very grateful.

Unfortunately, from previous experience I know these solutions will only last until the game is updated again, so the really IDEAL solution would be for MA to find out wtf is wrong with the client loader and fix it, especially since apparently I am not the only one who had/has this issue.

Belive me mate, its your OS that needs to be fixed... and that is by re-installing. Or even better, go for w7. From my humble experience with broken/crippled OS`s, I can tell that your PC falls into this category.

Within a year, the xp`s If there is lots of installing/testing of programs, tweaking whatnot...etc etc. they bloat, they get errors, they get slow, they get crippled... and the solution is to reinstall. That is one of the official suggestions in many FAQ`s by MS. Take a bit of time, and go for It, hell If you are that persistent with trying to run EU for a year without success, then one lil install of OS won`t be a problem.

Just had an idea, If you didnt try It yet... create a new account in this shiny XP of yours..lol and try to install crappy eu installer under new account. Might actually work. Cheers!

Good luck!
Robo:smoke:

Last edited:
the problem with the down loader, is probably actually a problem with the OS which is why when you remove every trace, and put it back it still acts the same way. your OS probably has 1 or more missing or corrupt dll files somewhere.

Just because a system is new does not make it configured properly. in fact 99% of new systems are loaded down with garbage that interferes with proper operation. Often times this garbage programs are named useful things like "tweaks" or "optimizations" or "virus checking" whatever...if it came pre installed on your system its probably crap that could be causing more trouble than its worth.

as for backing up your important stuff, just use a disk partition tool and make a new partition for your pics, and save files etc anything u cant re-install, drivers etc. then wipe the old partition and reintall to it.

I can guarantee what wont work though, double clicking the icon to see if "MA fixed it yet"

bottom line, you cant just sit on your ass for a year and not do anything proactive to fix your issue, except wait for Ma to fix it lol, because its on your end "works fine for everyone else", and will work for you if your reformat and reinstall everything.

If basic PC maintenance is beyond your skill at this point, I suggest you turn to Craigs List and hire a PC geek to fix you up. probably be good to go for less than 50 bucks.

I had a similar problem when my client was stuck in a loop downloading contennt, try setting the Download thread count to 1 in the tools menu of the client loader.

Have you tried doing a fully copy from another computer? I've done this, bypassed the download from clientloader process and copied all files from a USB drive. (I'm on satellite internet that charges hefty fee's if I pass my download allowance).

My friend got a new computer and I just transferred the files directly from my computer to his. This was after beginning the download on his computer, then after the files/folders are set up, stop the download and just copy files over.

I'm sure this would work passed your problem if the CL is the issue.

geez, guess im lucky, my client loader only stuffs my ram full of S!@#, i cant just end process. i cant just end process tree. i halft to reboot completely. EU is the only program on my pc that can fill 7-8GB of ram in 20 sec

I hear of others having memory issues, I feel for you guys..I have no troubles with memory but then I only have 2gb of ram total and 1gb on vid card one thing I notice is people who complain of memory trouble all have large amounts of system ram (ok maybe not large by today's standards). I sometimes get warning msg in chat about low memory..but I don't see many problems, and crash to desktop less than others.

just seems weird my 2gb ram xp machine seems more stable than the higher end pc's. its usually the other way around :dunce:

You have obviously not been told the number 1 most crucial thing you must do when you find your self lost in confusion as to what you should do next so ill tell you now! Just G@@GLE IT !:wise:

I've had a similar - if not the same - problem twice before.
Everything was solved when I backed everything up and completely wiped the Hard Drive.
Better yet, try on a newer and better computer if you can afford it. :laugh:

Maybe the guys talking about a corrupt OS are right... :confused:
You know, at the time - two years earlier - everyone was absolutely clueless (including MA).
And because of V.U. 9 they all were in a bad and unhelpful mood, so that sucked... :p

Hopefully you've got xp pro. If you do then run an ASR backup to a large usb drive. Atleast then you can always restore from you're machine to it's current state (or to a VM).

Alternatively buy another hard drive and take out your existing one. Get a trial copy of Windows 7 x64 from MS and you can try it out, even if you don't like it you can always use the new hdd for a clean install of xp.

But upgrading to W7 X64 depends on it's current hardware, my machine runs ok for games (Intel core 2 6850, 4Gb ram) it struggles a little with the latest Deus Ex and it's nearing the point where I'm thinking of upgrading either to an i5-2500 or an i7-2600.

Ok, time to revive this thread:

I reinstalled my Windows today, which was a pain in the ass. Lost a bunch of stuff and configurations and wasted a lot of time reinstalling drivers, and setting prefereces again to what they used to be etc. etc.

I fire up the Client Loader, and guess what happens?

It gets stuck again!

So, anyone got any other suggestions to get this piece of shit working?

I reinstalled my Windows today, which was a pain in the ass. Lost a bunch of stuff and configurations and wasted a lot of time reinstalling drivers, and setting prefereces again to what they used to be etc. etc.

It gets stuck again!

First suggestion would be: make sure you have a genuine copy of Windows [whatever.xxx]... not accusing just saying.

If your computer is over 2 years old, may wanna upgrade to play EU, it will work fine for everything else you do, but for EU....

Make sure you have an ATI based vid card.

for all these advises I ask only one thing... WTF is a wanker?

Would help me understand this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHu_cfy33bY

Last edited:

It gets stuck again!

Yer wanker is pissed and wont blow!
Turn off UAC, shut down any viral stopper, and remove the rubber...firewall :)
Inspect the log of your DSL router for any discrete UDP block, and perhaps do some port forwarding.
Port forwarding for entropia.... look that up for notropia:)

Yer wanker is pissed and wont blow!
Turn off UAC, shut down any viral stopper, and remove the rubber...firewall :)
Inspect the log of your DSL router for any discrete UDP block, and perhaps do some port forwarding.
Port forwarding for entropia.... look that up for notropia:)

hehehehehehe + 10 characters, nice characters not like the ones in here.

Hi Huskie.

If you are worried about getting your account purged you should consider and do a couple of things:

Try and install on another computer/log in on someone's computer who has it installed, and contact support, explain your situation and ask them to not purge your account (or reset the purging countdown).

Make sure you have an ATI based vid card.
I loled sir.

@Huskie, Can you give me your dxdiag please? if you feel uncomfortable by posting it send it to me by PM. [ Start > "dxdiag" > Enter ]

Back