Help: Nearly a year gone by and I STILL can't install this crap...

and why is that? never call a girl sir!

We don't even know if the problem is on the GPU, and you should be perfectly fine with amd or nvidia (yeah, ATI no more...they're AMD now).

Also, there are no girls on the internet, that's a myth, which is why rule #34 applies.

:laugh:

GL: Brokenback mountain;0

@Huskie, Can you give me your dxdiag please? if you feel uncomfortable by posting it send it to me by PM. [ Start > "dxdiag" > Enter ]

Formatted and reinstalled everything AGAIN. Still didn't help.

Here's the DxDiag results (the main part at least):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/24/2011, 20:37:06
Machine name: X
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
Language: Portuguese (Regional Setting: Portuguese)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55A-UD5
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 3580MB RAM
Page File: 1190MB used, 4271MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6898)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6898&SUBSYS_0B001002&REV_00
Display Memory: 2048.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Monitor Plug and Play
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7240 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/10/2011 00:53:20, 304640 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0889&SUBSYS_1458A022&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6438 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 8/16/2011 08:46:02, 6427240 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full

If you need any of the other information on the report, feel free to ask. I don't see how any of this could be relevant though, considering the game played absolutely fine (I don't even recall ever having any sort of technical problems with EU), until one day my Client Loader started with this bullshit.

What I DID find out is that apparently the CL is having trouble downloading the shared_platform_XX.pak file. Maybe if somebody could upload their shared_platform files somewhere, it could download the rest of the game, or at least a few files until it gets stuck on another. This worked last time, so i'd really appreciate it if somebody could upload those files somewhere.

Ok, time to revive this thread:

I reinstalled my Windows today, which was a pain in the ass. Lost a bunch of stuff and configurations and wasted a lot of time reinstalling drivers, and setting prefereces again to what they used to be etc. etc.

I fire up the Client Loader, and guess what happens?

It gets stuck again!

So, anyone got any other suggestions to get this piece of shit working?

could you try to install EU on fresh system (without setting your preferences etc etc)?

I can just confirm that EU installer is working flawlessly - i just got new mini laptop last week and did install EU without any problems whatsoever, so must be some settings on your side.
I did it on win7 x64, what's your system?

could you try to install EU on fresh system (without setting your preferences etc etc)?

I can just confirm that EU installer is working flawlessly - i just got new mini laptop last week and did install EU without any problems whatsoever, so must be some settings on your side.
I did it on win7 x64, what's your system?

This last install was as fresh as it gets. EU was literally the first thing I installed after VGA, sound and Wi-Fi drivers.

Trying to download it on a laptop, and see if it works. Even if it works, it's gonna be a pain in the ass having to go through all this hassle again every time EU updates.

PM me your address and I will copy over the entire EU directory onto a few DVD's and send them to you, if that does not work then your PC is fecked :)

Yep, got the same problem with the laptop, which is also a new machine and with completely different specs. So the problem is either with my ISP (which is doubtful since it's the same I've been using ever since I started playing EU back in 2005), or it really IS the Client Loader's fault somehow.

And thanks, John, it's a very generous offer, but I believe mailing some DVDs this far wouldn't be very cheap for you.

Have you set windows firewall to allow traffic from the application on the new install?

Are you really runing windows xp ? consider win7 if so.

XP is going down the road for more than a year (maybe 2, or more), and's gonna get worse.

I remember you having problems with a previous VU and getting in after some difficulties.

There are good people offering great technical advice, so all I will suggest is be patient Huskie , keep battering your head against that wall... :banghead:

and you will be back in Entropia soon enough. Dont give up.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas. :xmas:

Have you set windows firewall to allow traffic from the application on the new install?

Yes, obviously. Otherwise it wouldn't even start the download at all...

Not obviously. Depending on which ports are called, the firewall may not care if an application passes traffic or not. If you say your other PC is doing the same thing, then your router or your ISP isn't letting traffic through.

Not obviously. Depending on which ports are called, the firewall may not care if an application passes traffic or not. If you say your other PC is doing the same thing, then your router or your ISP isn't letting traffic through.

Yeah, but the funny thing is all other sorts of downloads/internet traffic work just fine.

Yeah, but the funny thing is all other sorts of downloads/internet traffic work just fine.

Dont wish to appear unsympathetic but the funny thing is everyone else can download and install it fine.

So what was the problem last time?

24 Jun 11 thread:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...id-any-and-every-trace-of-EU-from-my-computer

2 Feb 11 thread:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-somebody-please-be-more-helpful-than-support...

27 Jan 11 thread:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...e-any-alternate-way-of-downloading-the-client

I link these threads for those who are more PC technically minded to see if they can diagnose what the problem is.

I still think "nuke it from orbit and get another" might be best. :xwink:

Dont wish to appear unsympathetic but the funny thing is everyone else can download and install it fine.

Yeah I used to think the same, but apparently others got the same problem, though for them reformatting the disk fixed it. It is all just extremely odd.

The CL starts showing an absurd download speed (several GB/s) but the file download makes no progress at all (despite the progress bar filling up, then going back again), no matter for how long I leave it running. Now, although I consider myself familiar with the workings of computers, I'm not an expert by any means, but I do think that were it simply being blocked by ISP or router it would merely show 0 kb/s and stay stuck there (the CL wouldn't get the "false impression" of downloading stuff but making no progress, or have the progress bar fill up then recede again, in what seems like an infinite loop), and possibly even give me a warning that a program was trying to download stuff and that the traffic was blocked, or something to that effect. Also, the CL now stops responding whenever I try to close it after firing it up and getting stuck downloading, so that's another strange behavior that is hardly network-related.

This just seems like some sort of software fault on the CL itself. Sure it must be something minor since the vast majority has it working just fine, but the whole situation is just too odd to be something as silly as everybody seems to suggest.

Yeah I used to think the same, but apparently others got the same problem, though for them reformatting the disk fixed it. It is all just extremely odd.

The CL starts showing an absurd download speed (several GB/s) but the file download makes no progress at all (despite the progress bar filling up, then going back again), no matter for how long I leave it running. Now, although I consider myself familiar with the workings of computers, I'm not an expert by any means, but I do think that were it simply being blocked by ISP or router it would merely show 0 kb/s and stay stuck there (the CL wouldn't get the "false impression" of downloading stuff but making no progress, or have the progress bar fill up then recede again, in what seems like an infinite loop), and possibly even give me a warning that a program was trying to download stuff and that the traffic was blocked, or something to that effect. Also, the CL now stops responding whenever I try to close it after firing it up and getting stuck downloading, so that's another strange behavior that is hardly network-related.

This just seems like some sort of software fault on the CL itself. Sure it must be something minor since the vast majority has it working just fine, but the whole situation is just too odd to be something as silly as everybody seems to suggest.

I had problems when dynamic downloads first began and had to download a C++ distributable from Microsoft, which fixed it. You are running XP same as I am, so it can be fixed and we'll get you there. :)

But not tonight cos its 2:30am for me.

I haven't read the entire thread... .just bits and pcs. But is there a chance that high latency in your ISP could be causing a brief drop in connection with MA's update servers? I see under your PCF info that you're from Brazil. I don't know how solid the net connections are there but myself..... I live in the bush in northern Ontario Canada and have had some fairly hefty latency problems due to out-dated DSL and Cable hardware. Until VERY recently both DSL and Cable were running through cables that were installed 30-50 yrs ago. 2 Days ago I upgraded to a new 40mb/sec system via cable which is running on completely new lines. I get about 90% less "Failed" now. Hence my reason for asking. It seems apparent that my internet latency was causing disruptions in communications with the game's servers. Such a disruption during updating COULD cause a slight corruption in files thus forcing the update system to say..... "You're screwed!".

I dunno.... might be the Christmas booze..... or it may be something worth looking into.

A torrent file downloadable from MA's website would probably solve an issue like this.... don't understand why we can't download directly any and all updates "just in case" we're hillbilly's in the middle of no-where still utilizing tin cans and string as a source of internet.

Menace

I find it unlikely, considering I can download things from much further away places than MA's servers without any issues at all.

But yes, an EU torrent or FTP would be ideal. They used to have an FTP until shortly before my problem started, but they have taken it down for unknown reasons.

I would also think that problem is with your router or ISP, causer you have same problem on two different systems.

To confirm that, could you take your laptop to friend or some internet cafe and try to install there and see if you get same results?

Back