AFK repair skilling vs scanning skilling

Nooba

Guardian
Society
Irken Invaders
Cheeeezy Stilton B'stard
Seems a little odd that scanners got nerfed to pretty much unusability, yet now there seems to be a lot of afk repair skilling going on in space.

I would actually just like to see scanners returned to their previous usage, but since that appears unlikely, I have to wonder why you can continuously afk skill repair skills on space vessels but scanning is now limited to 1 attempt per creature per 5 mins?

Both use very little TT, yet give skill gains, so why is repair skilling special? , surely this kind of skilling is a contributing factor in the dropping MU of skills?

This move to nerf scanners confused me since they had actually brought in an auto-use tool function, and after they updated the mobs AI, they often moved behind hills or into groups of other creatures.

If anyone can give a sensible reason for this seeming imbalance I would be interested to know.

I guess there can be many reason to the change.
One could be a new feature and/or more advanced scanningresults in the
future, but could just as well be due to a exploit.
A theoretical exploit could be that some parked their avatar some hours
with a scanner, and then join events to get some back from scanning but also
get a better position in the event (those who are based on loot).

maybe they should introduce something similar to scanners? Scanners need one mission token per use?

Did someone not discover an Organic wire the other day? The mind boggles... :eyecrazy:

maybe they should introduce something similar to scanners? Scanners need one mission token per use?
Maybe not mission tokens, but instead a energypack based on vibrant sweat + something else? ;)

Maybe not mission tokens, but instead a energypack based on vibrant sweat + something else? ;)

I doubt MA would give more value to the sweat.....
As it stands now, for the most part, MA wants sweat gatherer to be happy with rookie gears and punny mobs!

Sad to say though ...when you only get back 50% on a puny hunt ....the butt hurts less than on a regular hunt :laugh:

-Bemo-

From the point of view of someone that has never used either, I think it most likely boils down to a balancing act. Before i assume you could just use auto-repeat with a scanner and gain skill ups for technically doing nothing but leaving your computer running and client logged into the world. In essence this is actually pretty bad, while it would seem appealing to many its a bad decision for any virtual world/game to allow someone to do this with one skill and not others, same goes with the repair tool, but since the repair tool is needed more now then ever.

They went ahead and just added a pay-to-skill value to using it with auto-repeat, sure they could do the same thing with the scanners and maybe in a future update they will but to be fair when it comes down to it, right now which do you think has a greater importance / demand the scanner or the repair tool, from a platform view that is. Space just got a huge makeover with the ability to fly around in a much larger and seemingly expanding universe, this with the fact that most of space is a hot zone filled with pirates from what I hear the repair tool got a balancing act faster then the scanner.

This of course is just my un-educated guess / opinion or in other words my 2 pecs worth.

Well I used to do auto scanning from time to time. That time is over.

Now scanning is just no more doable, switching mob/person after every scan. Sucks. NO dense spawns of mobs for constant scanning, not enough people at any place to avoid scanning double in less than 5 min.

Beside that it will seriously hurt your health now as you can´t use autotool anymore (not enough targets). 10k clicks on the mouse/scanner? No thanks.

BTW, befor scanner nerf I told my disciples to use of one TT scanner to gain a healthpoint. That doesn´t work anymore.

Your fault MA, less decay = less income for you (btw 0,00 PED return rate on scanning!) so why the hell you nerfed that ????

Make them use nova fragments.. I mean, really, how many nova fragments does the universe need?

Hmm lets balance a bit things.
Hunting mobs only 1 hit allowed on same mob in 5 minit - cool lets ad wire or fragments to gun and remember removing loot as with scaner we dont get loot.
In 50 years of constant hunt by 1 shot/5 minit maybe that hunter unlock some good skill - maybe markmanship lol.
Same for crafting.
Same thing for space and pking lol - let pker is allowed 1 shoot per victim in 5 minutes and ofc without loot because we dont get loot with scaner.
---

Im still waiting MA to reimplement all investigating professions including scaner functionality.
If not then at least official statement that those proffessions are removed.
Until that any newcomer can forget to unlock skills like robotology or even higher - scientist.

Aggreed with Dan and Goni. Why to nerf something that not profitable for user at all and just get decay to MA. Skills gained by scanning per 1 ped decay = same skills chiped from 1 ped invested (and chiping is much faster, after all)

At first, I considered it a good move. Autoskilling... I don't like it one bit. But...if it exists in one profession, it should exist in all. And since it is implemented in several fields (crafting being most obvious), it should continue everywhere.

Why not just return scanners to how they were? :D

Seems a little odd that scanners got nerfed to pretty much unusability, yet now there seems to be a lot of afk repair skilling going on in space.

I would actually just like to see scanners returned to their previous usage, but since that appears unlikely, I have to wonder why you can continuously afk skill repair skills on space vessels but scanning is now limited to 1 attempt per creature per 5 mins?

Both use very little TT, yet give skill gains, so why is repair skilling special? , surely this kind of skilling is a contributing factor in the dropping MU of skills?

This move to nerf scanners confused me since they had actually brought in an auto-use tool function, and after they updated the mobs AI, they often moved behind hills or into groups of other creatures.

If anyone can give a sensible reason for this seeming imbalance I would be interested to know.

It would not be a bad thing if you had to "charge" them. For instance 200 sweat for a charge, giving... 2000 scan attempts? It will give a use for sweating, maybe increase demand and the price a bit, while enabling autoskilling, without a HUGE cost increase.

Just make scanners use nova fragments.. would give them a use.

Did someone not discover an Organic wire the other day? The mind boggles... :eyecrazy:

Organic wire is a generic component that so far has only one use, crafting of THE highest level weapons BP in the game, GeoTrek H1071 Otk (L) BP. Nothing whatsoever to do with scanning.

MA - here's an idea... change the ship designs so that the engine areas, etc. which need repairs are in a non-oxygen zone. The participants that want to repair can do so, but they'll have to use oxygen tanks which have like 5 minutes of oxygen in them. These would be items like the sweat tool - no tt value, and unable to be traded...

You refill the tank in another part of the ship periodically (once every 5 minutes or so) or die from lack of oxygen like you do in other parts of space if you are outside of ship. Won't stop autoclickers for good, but it might stop some of the blatent abuse of afk clicking?

How to stop the autoclickers.. make it so the hatch you use to go inside to refill the tanks or maybe even the oxygen tank you refill at in there has a keyword type of thing... so like you have like a mini-game come up where you have to enter something like a captcha every time you refill the tank.

Heck, maybe even make it so you can survive outside of the ship when ship blows up if you still have oxygen minutes left since last tank refill. Probably would not help much in escaping pirate, but maybe some, or at least add a bit of fun to it from victim perspective... now that there's % of health damage, maybe even add that... like after the 5 minutes oxygen is gone, you start goind down in health by % of health... like 20% every 5 seconds or something... would be a bit more realistic than, boom, ship blew up your health is now 10 like it is now, etc.

Last edited:
Organic wire is a generic component that so far has only one use, crafting of THE highest level weapons BP in the game, GeoTrek H1071 Otk (L) BP. Nothing whatsoever to do with scanning.
Sorry, off-topic I know, but I didn't know that gun existed. It's not on Entropedia. Are the stats listed anywhere?

MA - here's an idea... change the ship designs so that the engine areas, etc. which need repairs are in a non-oxygen zone. The participants that want to repair can do so, but they'll have to use oxygen tanks which have like 5 minutes of oxygen in them. These would be items like the sweat tool - no tt value, and unable to be traded...

You refill the tank in another part of the ship periodically (once every 5 minutes or so) or die from lack of oxygen like you do in other parts of space if you are outside of ship. Won't stop autoclickers for good, but it might stop some of the blatent abuse of afk clicking?

How to stop the autoclickers.. make it so the hatch you use to go inside to refill the tanks or maybe even the oxygen tank you refill at in there has a keyword type of thing... so like you have like a mini-game come up where you have to enter something like a captcha every time you refill the tank.

We dont need that.
We fighted for years that MA finaly implement autoshoot/autoclick feature.
Is not first person shooter here but wirtual world.
If you dont like afk then dont use or own shop, dont use auction, dont own LA .......

Back