“Spread the Word” Screenshot Contest

Bjorn|MindArk

MindArk Official
The MindArk marketing crew are in need of some high-quality screenshots for upcoming promotions, including a very exciting Entropia Universe Facebook app. Nobody knows Entropia better than the players, so get your cameras unpacked and start shooting!

We are looking for screenshots that capture the beauty, energy and uniqueness of Entropia Universe. The contest is divided into five categories, each with its own theme.

Categories
Landscape
Space
Social
Economy
Action!

Prizes
The winner in each category will receive one Adjusted Isis LR32 (L) [full TT value].

Rules
> Screenshots must be submitted no later than December 8, 2011.
> Screenshots must be uploaded to the Entropia Forum gallery, in the screenshot contest category. Link
> Participants may submit as many screenshots as desired, in any or all of the contest categories.
> Limit one prize per participant.
> Screenshots should have the user interface and shortcut keys hidden.
> Minimum image resolution - 1280x800 (1680x1050 or larger preferred).
> A committee of MindArk staff will act as judges for the contest and choose the winning screenshots.

Important Note!!
By participating in this contest and submitting images, you agree that MindArk may use any or all of your submitted images for promotional and marketing purposes, at its own discretion.

Oh, at last You have implemented ingame screen-capture! Nice!

I`ll be so happy to use it and deliver good Screenshots!

Is photo editing allowed by participants? Ie. color correction / color levels?

Sounds nice :) maybe I'll get some new entries for my devart page as well while doing it :yay:

entropianighthawk.deviantart.com

Is photo editing allowed by participants? Ie. color correction / color levels?

Minor image enhancements are permitted so long as the screenshot remains representative of the actual graphics quailty that can be expected in Entropia Universe.

Rules
> Screenshots must be uploaded to the Entropia Forum gallery, in the screenshot contest category. Link
> Participants may submit as many screenshots as desired, in any or all of the contest categories.
> A committee of MindArk staff will act as judges for the contest and choose the winning screenshots.

A couple suggestions for the rules to avoid conflict in the very near future:

1) Place a MindArk time deadline for all entries, as Dec. 8th ends at different times throughout a 24 hour period across the globe. It may be better to have all entries due at the same time. :)

2) I think you forgot the gallery link...

3) Is there a date/time for when the judges will make an announcement on the winners?

Good luck with your marketing.

How you do that..???. dashboard icon in action library removes chat, health bar, etc. However, it does not remove ALL parts of gui as far as I know? There's a few icons that are there by default that I don't think can be removed, or if they can be, I'm not sure how you do it?

but... on the size of the image I'm not sure... Even with window mode off, this computer which has screen resolution of 1440x900 seems to be making screen prints that are only 1024x768? Is there some other way to get the screen prints? Would sources from third party programs do a better job or be allowed? (fraps, camstudio, etc?)

One way, if third party apps are allowed that seems to work possibly... Record with camstudio (I like it more than fraps since it is really free for the full thing - no watermarks), change region to full screen... hit record... This thing will record an avi file of your in game session...

Then, go in to virtualdub after you are done with that (again, that's another free program! :) ) and do export image sequence as jpg... Instructions on that are over at http://www.ehow.com/how_5057101_convert-avi-jpg-freeware.html

What's nice (if this is allowed) is that you have an avi file now recorded as well as image file sequence... so uploading your video to youtube is not out of the question. ;) (note - if you have sound option turned off on camstudio and upload to youtube, it might give an error about unrecognized codec or something, but it still uploads the file just fine... and if you want, you could possibly go further with youtube stuff (even though it's not an official part of the contest) and remix sounds and wav files, etc. in virtualdub, even though it may take a while to do... )

Last edited:
Oh a question, must the screenshot be taken after this announcement or can I use some of my old ones? :silly2:

How you do that..???. dashboard icon in action library removes chat, health bar, etc. However, it does not remove ALL parts of gui as far as I know? There's a few icons that are there by default that I don't think can be removed, or if they can be, I'm not sure how you do it?

but... on the size of the image I'm not sure... Even with window mode off, this computer which has screen resolution of 1440x900 seems to be making screen prints that are only 1024x768? Is there some other way to get the screen prints? Would sources from third party programs do a better job or be allowed? (fraps, camstudio, etc?)

Desktop Icons
AND
Dashboard

Both in Action Library.

And, change your ingame resolution from Options, not just your desktop resolution :p

Check my thread about that, it is very easy.
How to take better screenshots in Entropia

Oh, sounds interesting :) Count me in.

The MindArk marketing crew are in need of some high-quality screenshots for upcoming promotions, including a very exciting Entropia Universe Facebook app. Nobody knows Entropia better than the players, so get your cameras unpacked and start shooting!

We are looking for screenshots that capture the beauty, energy and uniqueness of Entropia Universe. The contest is divided into five categories, each with its own theme.

Categories
Landscape
Space
Social
Economy
Action!

Prizes
The winner in each category will receive one Adjusted Isis LR32 (L) [full TT value].

Rules

Important Note!!
By participating in this contest and submitting images, you agree that MindArk may use any or all of your submitted images for promotional and marketing purposes, at its own discretion.

Thanks again MindArk for yet another useless competition. Have you even paid out to the shop owner decorating contest yet? This is just another EPIC FAIL on your part because you have the citizens pay you $6 million and then have us do the advertisement work, not to mention you give us a shitty compensation like a LIMITED piece of shit gun. Count me out of this one.

Signed - A VERY DISGRUNTLED PLAYER!
~Danimal

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome contest!

But do you also consider runner-up prizes? I know from previous contest like this one that you (MindArk) always gets overwhelmed by the quantity and quality of our (Colonists) entries).

Oh, and your link to the Gallery isn't working.

Ardorj :pic:

A couple suggestions for the rules to avoid conflict in the very near future:

1) Place a MindArk time deadline for all entries, as Dec. 8th ends at different times throughout a 24 hour period across the globe. It may be better to have all entries due at the same time. :)

We'll be checking the submissions starting on the 9th, so being specific about the hour isnt' so crucial.

2) I think you forgot the gallery link...

Added the link, thanks for pointing that out.

3) Is there a date/time for when the judges will make an announcement on the winners?

My guess is that winners will be announced on the 9th or 10th.

Oh a question, must the screenshot be taken after this announcement or can I use some of my old ones? :silly2:

You are free to submit your old screenshots, provided that they comply with the contest guidelines.
Of course, we want to present Entropia in the best way possible so more recent screenshots that showcase Entropias improved in game graphics have a better chance of winning.

We'll be checking the submissions starting on the 9th, so being specific about the hour isnt' so crucial.

Added the link, thanks for pointing that out.

Ummm yes thanks for ignoring me too Bjorn.

~Danimal

Well, again... the 9th (for you) is still the 8th in say, California USA (9 hours difference), or.... Hawaii, USA (11 hours difference).

My guess is that it might be bad to announce a winner on the 9th before all your potential entries are in.

And... what exactly did you expect him to say? :scratch2:

An explanation to any of the three points I made would've been nice.

-Why have the colonists do the advertisement when they have this "hypothetical $6 million for doing it"
-Explanation on shop contest
-Why they are giving out a Limited item..

Any of those three, a combination of those three or all three in some form of answer that isn't sketchy would suffice :)

~Danimal

Oh boy, this is so my kind of contest! :cool:

Problem, I'm not sure whether EF supports huge ass pics with lossless quality.
I can send 1920x1280 pics in bmp format, but I doubt EF can support it.

Oh boy, this is so my kind of contest! :cool:

Problem, I'm not sure whether EF supports huge ass pics with lossless quality.
I can send 1920x1280 pics in bmp format, but I doubt EF can support it.

Umm.. use png instead?

An explanation to any of the three points I made would've been nice.

-Why have the colonists do the advertisement when they have this "hypothetical $6 million for doing it"
-Explanation on shop contest
-Why they are giving out a Limited item..

Any of those three, a combination of those three or all three in some form of answer that isn't sketchy would suffice :)

~Danimal

Cause maybe its a smart move to dont waste the players money on someone else doing a promo video and instead include the community who should know best what they like about Entropia and what makes them stay ?
Cause shop contest has nothing to do with this topic, if you have a question on that maybe make a support case ?
Cause giving out a limited item has no longterm influence on balancing and is the best bet to reward the small effort of pressing a printscreen button and to be able to do it more often.

At the end thought all of these not made replies, your questions as well as now my own answers are somewhat a derail to the actual topic and its better to not follow them up at all.

Thanks Bjorn for a nice competition, now if you could just add a graphics option to blend out those Triangles in space when making a screenshot - they devalue all those beautyful graphics up there and space would look alot better if they coud be turned off.

Umm.. use png instead?
Does EF gallery support .png? PCF gallery didn't seem to.

Ok, i learned to read thingies in hidden places;
png 3.00 MB 1680 x 1050

And... under "-- Screenshot Contest"
png 5.00 MB 1920 x 1200

Of course, we want to present Entropia in the best way possible so more recent screenshots that showcase Entropias improved in game graphics have a better chance of winning.

Well obviously :) I was thinking about entering some of the ones I have over at my devart page, along with a few newer ones I haven't uploaded there yet ^^

Should showcase well enough? :D

Yeah, I could also compress into .png like a peasant. *eyeroll*
I guess compression can't be avoided... X-P

Get your cameras ready!!!

Maybe I do a trip around Calypso this weekend with my own camera, even if my pc don't offer the best graphics quality.

... not to mention you give us a shitty compensation like a LIMITED piece of shit gun. Count me out of this one.

What you expected? R150 assassin unL to the winners?! Of course it should be a L and low lvl item.

60 usd to take a few printscreens don't look that bad.

Good shooting to all! :)

Cause maybe its a smart move to dont waste the players money on someone else doing a promo video and instead include the community who should know best what they like about Entropia and what makes them stay ?
Cause shop contest has nothing to do with this topic, if you have a question on that maybe make a support case ?
Cause giving out a limited item has no longterm influence on balancing and is the best bet to reward the small effort of pressing a printscreen button and to be able to do it more often.

At the end thought all of these not made replies, your questions as well as now my own answers are somewhat a derail to the actual topic and its better to not follow them up at all.

Thanks Bjorn for a nice competition, now if you could just add a graphics option to blend out those Triangles in space when making a screenshot - they devalue all those beautyful graphics up there and space would look alot better if they coud be turned off.

-The whole point of raising these peds (60k deeds) was for paying some costs down and for making some advertisments. :scratch2:
-I bring up the shop topic because if they didn't pay out to the winners then what makes you so sure they will pay out to the winners of this contest? :wise:
-They have given out UL items before and it has not effected the economy of this game any. Bugsy had won a UL Supremecy set if I recall correctly. Something like that would encourage better quality submissions and more interested parties.

The points I make are clearly on topic and do pertain to this contest that they are advertising now. I am only looking out for the welfare of the citizens and asking the hard questions that nobody else will. I don't like to think inside the box and be hearded around like cattle. :wise:

~Danimal

-They have given out UL items before and it has not effected the economy of this game any. Bugsy had won a UL Supremecy set if I recall correctly. Something like that would encourage better quality submissions and more interested parties.

Have they ever given any valueable unl. item as a reward for something as simple as a screenshot tho? ;)

Have they ever given any valueable unl. item as a reward for something as simple as a screenshot tho? ;)

No, but what I am trying to get at is they could give something like a UL CB5 or something that would spark more interest since many of the entries will be from mid level players.

~Danimal

Back