What would you want/expect from an Entropia Universe YouTube commentary?

Zacariaz

Elite
Society
United Talents
Marie T'pol
I, like many others I'm sure, enjoy a variety of YouTube commentaries. In my case they usually revolve around MineCraft, but that don't really need to be the limit. In fact I'd very much like to find something a bit closer to home, so to speak.

Thus I've long considered making something of my own, in Entropia Universe of course. Don't get your hopes up however. While people often laugh at me for one reason or another, I've never been much of an entertainer, but I guess we'll see what happens, if I can pull my self together that is.

To get to the point, what I really wanted to ask, as the title clearly states, is what you'd want/expect from such a YouTube commentary, revolving around Entropia Universe.

Maybe you prefer the rambling lunatic, bit of a philosophizer (the dictionary say that is indeed a word) or someone who can talk for hours on end without actually saying anything.

Should the focus be the game, everything else or a mixture?

Maybe you agree with me that it wouldn't be very interesting watching someone doing the Shinkiba iron challenge, but what would you like instead?

I'm really just interested in your opinions, not a great debate. Some people like such things and some people don't. That's life and that's fine. I for one know of few alternatives when it comes to killing time.

On the of chance that you haven't got a clue what all this is about, here's a couple of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainSparklez

Well, I guess that's it.

Best regards.

without much thinking ,,,, rt now the things popped up in my mind is doing short vids of

1. various events giving a little bit of description. MM would have been great

2. Some of the new missions...they are pretty interesting... definitely the arctic mssion

3. The wave events. Sand king wave event is very interesting... i like the madness there...

4. How do you spend your time during a typical wk end.

5.Travelling to other planets.. and yoru experiences

6. visit to some interesting places

7. Tutorials on storage and inventory, weapon system, armors etc

Use also slide show in the vids..

that's all for now

Last edited:
I've been doing Minecraft commentary for a year now (along with other games) and I did try to do some EU one night. The feedback was very mixed, but not really positive. Honestly, the game is pretty but boring as hell if you're not in the driver's seat. It'd be like watching someone play slots all night. The main draw of EU is the personal rush, long term or short, from the prospect of winning some cash.

If there was enough of a draw and you had a subscriber base with a lot of other EU participants whom might enjoy watching (Strash's streams for example) then you might be ok.

Games like Minecraft are pure sandboxes, and thus the commentary with the unique experience for each person is the main draw I believe. Compare that to someone watching me loot (or no-loot) shinkibas for a half hour, it's too mechanical, while you might get a few loyal subs who watch anything you put out because they find your commentary hilarious, that would probably be it.

I've been doing Minecraft commentary for a year now (along with other games) and I did try to do some EU one night. The feedback was very mixed, but not really positive. Honestly, the game is pretty but boring as hell if you're not in the driver's seat. It'd be like watching someone play slots all night. The main draw of EU is the personal rush, long term or short, from the prospect of winning some cash.

If there was enough of a draw and you had a subscriber base with a lot of other EU participants whom might enjoy watching (Strash's streams for example) then you might be ok.

Games like Minecraft are pure sandboxes, and thus the commentary with the unique experience for each person is the main draw I believe. Compare that to someone watching me loot (or no-loot) shinkibas for a half hour, it's too mechanical, while you might get a few loyal subs who watch anything you put out because they find your commentary hilarious, that would probably be it.

Actually I believe that it kind of depends... for example, I think more people would be interested in seeing commentary on a Fort event or robot invasion than "the daily grind"... Mining or Crafting is obviously out of the question :laugh:

What I believe would work best:
Beacons, fort events, robot invasions, good team hunts (with quick killing), maybe exploration of some sorts, wave events (although that may be laggy)....

I'd like to see some one those videos.

I can assure you that minecraft can get boring too. Quite a lot of people have tried, and failed, to make it interesting.

As for the shinkiba hunting fail, that is exactly my point, not exactly interesting, but I believe it is possible to create something nice anyway, I'm just not sure how.

Meh the video is somewhat embarrassing as I was (and still am) a noob. I'm sure I got some of the info on it wrong, but here you go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLnkxZYgxE

The Shinkiba hunt was just a generalization. MM, WoF and other events would be more fun, but obviously not all of us can participate in those. Beacons and wave events could be cool, and I really think some of the PvP or space combat could be interesting to do. My EU playtime is on a semi-hiatus right now as my Minecraft server has been hopping and I'm nursing a wicked Modern Warfare 3 addiction.

Meh the video is somewhat embarrassing as I was (and still am) a noob. I'm sure I got some of the info on it wrong, but here you go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLnkxZYgxE

The Shinkiba hunt was just a generalization. MM, WoF and other events would be more fun, but obviously not all of us can participate in those. Beacons and wave events could be cool, and I really think some of the PvP or space combat could be interesting to do. My EU playtime is on a semi-hiatus right now as my Minecraft server has been hopping and I'm nursing a wicked Modern Warfare 3 addiction.

That's not too bad actually. In many ways I think the most important think is to keep talking, which you do.

As with everything else, of course there are a few problems, for example you're fairly hard to hear and understand, mainly because of the low volume. The colors also seems to be of. In case you're using fraps, I bet I know why and I'll be putting up a tutorial, hopefully before too long, that will show how to fix that.

All in all I think you should keep on going, then I won't have to. I really don't think I'll be any good at it. My voice is awful and I don't really have too much to say.

One question though. How the heck did you manage to put up almost an hour of footage? (Not that it's necessarily a good thing) Are you paying youtube or something?

That's not too bad actually. In many ways I think the most important think is to keep talking, which you do.

As with everything else, of course there are a few problems, for example you're fairly hard to hear and understand, mainly because of the low volume. The colors also seems to be of. In case you're using fraps, I bet I know why and I'll be putting up a tutorial, hopefully before too long, that will show how to fix that.

All in all I think you should keep on going, then I won't have to. I really don't think I'll be any good at it. My voice is awful and I don't really have too much to say.

One question though. How the heck did you manage to put up almost an hour of footage? (Not that it's necessarily a good thing) Are you paying youtube or something?

The audio was quiet, my headphones had broken recently and I had to resort to using the integrated mic array on my laptop. It was my fault not for testing/tweaking before, but live and learn. Not sure that the colors were off, I probably recorded in half, and I normally lock it at 30fps.

As far as your voice being awful and having nothing to say, it just takes practice. I try to tell a lot of personal stories and anecdotes and just be witty, not always successfully lol. The best thing is to be yourself, and not make up some bullshit internet persona that a lot of directors do. I revel in my own stupidity and have no problem laughing at myself, and I try to stay humble. It's just internet fun, never going to be a job for me. I think the worse you can do is try it, get your videos out there and use some good tags to get the search engines finding 'em. My voice sucks, I grew up with speech disabilities (a real bad stutter and slur at times) and you can still notice it, especially if I start drinking. I won't be doing radio anytime soon, and doing these videos has helped me get over my fear of public speaking.

The length is a perk, after some undocumented period of time YouTube will open your account and let you upload files that are as large as you'd like. It has something to do with how long you've been uploading, the amount of uploads, and how many copyright violations you get if I am not mistaken.

I have been doing Eu Commentary for a few months now and have gathered quite the following 400+. Most of my commentary is about mining, but I also ramble, shoutout, announce events, talk about experience and give tips on how not to loose your ass while playing this game etc... I think what keeps it interesting is that There is always something to talk about.

Links in the sig

^^ Already was subbed :)

I've struggled with this as well. I've been doing EU commentaries for ~ a year (maybe) now, and I do find it challenging (as Cryte said) to figure out what to film and commentate on. My newest niche is creating tutorials for another planet, however I've done commentaries, PVP events etc. in the past.

Maybe check out my youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/TheBxRabbitx to get some ideas. I haven't updated in a bit, but I'll be getting back into things very shortly.

Good luck! If you ever want some dual comms, you know where to contact me ;)

(I used to watch Machinima a lot, with SeaNanners, Tebjz, ONLYusemyblade, Hutch, etc etc.) :D

I've struggled with this as well. I've been doing EU commentaries for ~ a year (maybe) now, and I do find it challenging (as Cryte said) to figure out what to film and commentate on. My newest niche is creating tutorials for another planet, however I've done commentaries, PVP events etc. in the past.

Maybe check out my youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/TheBxRabbitx to get some ideas. I haven't updated in a bit, but I'll be getting back into things very shortly.

Good luck! If you ever want some dual comms, you know where to contact me ;)

(I used to watch Machinima a lot, with SeaNanners, Tebjz, ONLYusemyblade, Hutch, etc etc.) :D

That's actually quite good. How come you don't do more of this?

I think the next big land grab I would want to commentate on some people and big fights... commentating pk'ers in space/pvp4 would be fun too.

That's actually quite good. How come you don't do more of this?

Thank you :) I will get back into it I promise! :p I got onto holiday break and haven't started it back up yet! School got crazy. I'll be back soon for sure.

I think the next big land grab I would want to commentate on some people and big fights... commentating pk'ers in space/pvp4 would be fun too.

I've always wanted to do coverage of big fights and pk battles. The only problem is that I would die so often that there would be no point. There needs to be some sort of media coverage agreement so that people can film the events and be invincible, but can't do damage or something (details would need to be sorted out of course).

I was thinking about doing a commentary to someone's live stream who's actually in LG. This would require someone with a strong computer and their permission of course..

Thank you :) I will get back into it I promise! :p I got onto holiday break and haven't started it back up yet! School got crazy. I'll be back soon for sure.

I've always wanted to do coverage of big fights and pk battles. The only problem is that I would die so often that there would be no point. There needs to be some sort of media coverage agreement so that people can film the events and be invincible, but can't do damage or something (details would need to be sorted out of course).

I was thinking about doing a commentary to someone's live stream who's actually in LG. This would require someone with a strong computer and their permission of course..

Oh very good idea! Casters are a huge deal in other gaming communities (I'm thinking Starcraft and League of Legends as two main ones). Good idea! Usually there are 2 casters for these events who commentate together. That's a great idea you have there, you should totally go forward with it. If you need any help I'm always open to bounce ideas off of in PMs!

EDIT: Doing the commentaries live (as the LGs etc. happen) would be the best IMO, and then recording the commentary/LG stream at the same time and uploading it to Youtube.

Oh very good idea! Casters are a huge deal in other gaming communities (I'm thinking Starcraft and League of Legends as two main ones). Good idea! Usually there are 2 casters for these events who commentate together. That's a great idea you have there, you should totally go forward with it. If you need any help I'm always open to bounce ideas off of in PMs!

EDIT: Doing the commentaries live (as the LGs etc. happen) would be the best IMO, and then recording the commentary/LG stream at the same time and uploading it to Youtube.

As a big fan of sc2 and HON (similar to LoL) I love watching commentaries. Some of my favorites being Husky (SC2) and Day9 (SC2) along with others. The thing is, I feel that entropia needs something fast paced and super exciting in order to make commentating worth watching. Therefore, I have a few ideas in mind:

-High high level beacons
-Land grabs/Fort events
-WoF/MM
-PvP4/Space wars

PvP4/Space wars are something that I think would be extremely fun to do. You basically create a group of teammates and fight another group. A commentator/judge would be viewing a teammates stream on both sides in order to ensure that no teammates are added once the 'war' has started. Each individual must carry atleast 50 ped of stackables at ALL times during the war, i.e if you die you must buy 50 ped more of stackables. A frag limit would be set and once the fight is over, any remaining stackables must be turned over from the losing team to the winning team and split up among the winners. Players may surrender from war by turning in half of their remaining stackables to the other team and immediately leaving pvp4 until the war is over and everyone has cleared out. A surrender would count as 5 frag points and would be clearly announced to both sides.

Why the 50 ped of stackables? Couple reasons.. 1. Every frag is announced to the public, meaning no frag is left out and can be viewed against multiple chat logs. 2. It makes dying mean something. If you watch games such as SC2 or LoL, you will see that every unit loss or death can be hurtful and at times crucial to the overall outcome of the match. Since we do not lose skills or items, death is merely a 'time-out' from action. However, if you have 3 frags and are now worth ~150ped, you will want to avoid death by sticking with a big group of people or having extra fappers run beside you which requires coordination and some skill. 3. It allows players to profit (or lose) from an intense battle. 4. It is an individual and team effort. The more frags you make, the more loot you obtain to keep for yourself. While doing this, if your team wins, you also get to split whatever the other team has left among your teammates.

Why not just do fort events instead? I for one, am not the biggest fan of fort events. Although I appreciate the 1/10th decay and ammo use, I'm not very intrigued by it. It's a lot of chaos with the vehicles, turrets, etc etc which is cool and all, but not really the most common form of pvp that you will encounter in the rest of entropia. Therefore, I want a more realistic and natural pvp approach. The global spams of frags will show players that there is money in pvp4 and might spark curiosity for others to start venturing in the lands of pvp4 (sorry miners).

Problems with this: Pirates/gankers that would ruin the show. Unfortunately, you cannot isolate pvp4 for the war. Some sort of method would have to be implemented. Mob trains, there are mobs in pvp4 and who's to say some team might not hire someone to lure mobs against the other team. Once again, some sort of police/support team would have tobe implemented here. People lying about their remaining stackables, unfortunately we would not able to log in on the players avatar to see how much they truly have left. This would have to fall on the honesty code which is easily exploitable. Another feature is killing off any opponents and return 50% of that loot.

It's just a quick idea in my mind that I thought would be cool because it feels like I rarely see any pk globals/hofs ingame. It's also something new and very fast paced that would not only be fun to commentate, but it would also be enjoyable for others to watch.

Sorry for the wall of text :|

As a big fan of sc2 and HON (similar to LoL) I love watching commentaries. Some of my favorites being Husky (SC2) and Day9 (SC2) along with others. The thing is, I feel that entropia needs something fast paced and super exciting in order to make commentating worth watching. Therefore, I have a few ideas in mind:

-High high level beacons
-Land grabs/Fort events
-WoF/MM
-PvP4/Space wars

PvP4/Space wars are something that I think would be extremely fun to do. You basically create a group of teammates and fight another group. A commentator/judge would be viewing a teammates stream on both sides in order to ensure that no teammates are added once the 'war' has started. Each individual must carry atleast 50 ped of stackables at ALL times during the war, i.e if you die you must buy 50 ped more of stackables. A frag limit would be set and once the fight is over, any remaining stackables must be turned over from the losing team to the winning team and split up among the winners. Players may surrender from war by turning in half of their remaining stackables to the other team and immediately leaving pvp4 until the war is over and everyone has cleared out. A surrender would count as 5 frag points and would be clearly announced to both sides.

Why the 50 ped of stackables? Couple reasons.. 1. Every frag is announced to the public, meaning no frag is left out and can be viewed against multiple chat logs. 2. It makes dying mean something. If you watch games such as SC2 or LoL, you will see that every unit loss or death can be hurtful and at times crucial to the overall outcome of the match. Since we do not lose skills or items, death is merely a 'time-out' from action. However, if you have 3 frags and are now worth ~150ped, you will want to avoid death by sticking with a big group of people or having extra fappers run beside you which requires coordination and some skill. 3. It allows players to profit (or lose) from an intense battle. 4. It is an individual and team effort. The more frags you make, the more loot you obtain to keep for yourself. While doing this, if your team wins, you also get to split whatever the other team has left among your teammates.

Why not just do fort events instead? I for one, am not the biggest fan of fort events. Although I appreciate the 1/10th decay and ammo use, I'm not very intrigued by it. It's a lot of chaos with the vehicles, turrets, etc etc which is cool and all, but not really the most common form of pvp that you will encounter in the rest of entropia. Therefore, I want a more realistic and natural pvp approach. The global spams of frags will show players that there is money in pvp4 and might spark curiosity for others to start venturing in the lands of pvp4 (sorry miners).

Problems with this: Pirates/gankers that would ruin the show. Unfortunately, you cannot isolate pvp4 for the war. Some sort of method would have to be implemented. Mob trains, there are mobs in pvp4 and who's to say some team might not hire someone to lure mobs against the other team. Once again, some sort of police/support team would have tobe implemented here. People lying about their remaining stackables, unfortunately we would not able to log in on the players avatar to see how much they truly have left. This would have to fall on the honesty code which is easily exploitable. Another feature is killing off any opponents and return 50% of that loot.

It's just a quick idea in my mind that I thought would be cool because it feels like I rarely see any pk globals/hofs ingame. It's also something new and very fast paced that would not only be fun to commentate, but it would also be enjoyable for others to watch.

Sorry for the wall of text :|

Some great ideas there. I agree with you that to successfully commentate events in Entropia, action-filled events would be needed to hold the interest of the audience.

I think the best way would be to organize an event or a series of events. A league could be started and have individuals or teams or soc compete. That would give an endless supply of things to commentate. I think it would be worth looking into.

There are a few big factors that would come into play with this though.

• It would take a lot of time to organize/host a weekly or monthly league.
  • Prizes would need to be large/interesting enough to have the appeal of a variety of people and socs (MA or a planet partner would probably need to help with that)
  • Rules would have to be in place so everyone is on level playing ground, and it's RL skill and strategy that matters over IG skills/amount of money you've invested in the game.
  • Trolls/griefers could ruin any series since there is no system in place to block of contestants and/or others not competing.

Those are a few of the many concerns that there would be with the event.

I have some ideas kind of along the lines that you were saying with the 50 ped per person pk event. I'm thinking some sort of selection kind of like LoL or HoN at the beginning, with pre-determined classes so there are different roles and a variety of strategies (could be some sort of healer, sniper, "tank" roles, with different armours, weapons and items for each role).

I think we could cast games like that easily. Another problem I just thought of is that there is no tools in place for casting in Entropia, and I'm sure there won't ever be. We'd have to view through streams of the teams, or come up with a way so we control what we're seeing and what the audience sees.

There are a lot of problems we'd have to overcome with this, but I still think it's viable if the work was dedicated to the project.

If you want, drop me a PM and we could discuss some more ideas further?

The only thing I can think of is mission walk-throughs. :computer:

Edit: What about shop reviews?

Last edited:
Back