Info: Screenshots of the updated Athene/Zephyrus area [WIP]

Kim|MindArk

Former Planet Calypso Official
Hey everyone!

Here's a fresh set of screenshots from the Athene/Zephyrus area taken a couple of hours ago. Notice the set of rock meshes used on the cliff face. That set can be re-textured and will be used to improve the looks of cliffs on many locations around Calypso.

Please note that this is still a work in progress.

UPDATE: January 29

UPDATE: February 3

Last edited:
Not bad at all Kim!

~Danimal

It look so cool scenery landscapes. I am little concern will it cause bug issues? I would love to see forward to it and try to compare it to IRL landscape ;)

Is this the place that had the golf course and was green and lush and had the towers and water down the bottom and looked realy futuristic and made our mouths dropped when we first got there after cryengine2?

If so.. what the hell happened to turn it into a stark dustbowl of which we already have many.

Is this the place that had the golf course and was green and lush and had the towers and water down the bottom and looked realy futuristic and made our mouths dropped when we first got there after cryengine2?

If so.. what the hell happened to turn it into a stark dustbowl of which we already have many.

No that was the Fort Troy Jungle area, as I said before this is still WIP and there are lots of things to add. There will be some groups of trees etc that are updated versions of old models.

No that was the Fort Troy Jungle area

I just hope you'll be keeping the Atrox that are already in that area and perhaps making them bigger :) There currently are only two locations that have a decent spawn of big Atrox to eat up! Maturities from Alpha to Prowlers with limited Stalkers are what is currently availible..

~Danimal

nice looks good

any plans for a 'shared' loot area here? maybe a summon?

or that arena of pvp?

The real question is: Will it blend? :wise:

Anyways... some unimportant questions:
-Will the loot in the place work? Or will the playerbase get hussked again and again?
-When will you guys start the epic marketing campaign?
-Drones?
-Ahh, the neverending EGG?

And an important question:
How much staff works for Mindark, and how many of them work on Calypso?

Last edited:
It looks much better with the rocks

Okay, so that looks cool! Am looking forward to seeing more.

Keep Athena mountains !

I hope you will not remake the whole place ! I mean that Athena area and arounds are unique and it would be very sad to erase all this work...

Very nice, but what about fixing the bugs on the rest of the place?
i.e.

Two years of support cases and the Black High Jacket is still grey. Fix the jacket and then paint the pebbles!

Beautiful!

I hope, whole Caly will be redesigned\facelifted in that way some day.

@People, who still continuing their complains: can you refrain from it in such threads, before they got deleted, please? You really don't understand Kim's role in that game, or wtf???

Looks amazing.

I notice the regularity in the surface. Is it possible to make it less visible that a texture is less obvious when looking at a large area (most noticeable for me are the bushes).

I think if that "rhytm" is taken out, the bushes scathered more randomly, this is an almost perfectly looking design.

(Doesn't mean I stopped thinking focus should be on actual game mechanics and less on pretty eyecandy)

Last edited:
This looks fine but I always thought the Athena area was one of the more interesting areas in the game.

Are we going to lose the spot to jump out of the tp (athena) and take 5 seconds to reach space?

kim, did hussssskkkkkkkkkkk husssk hussskkkk hussking hussk husssskeed??

Seems like another place where it will be a pain in the ass to find a flat area to spawn a vtol :mad:

It really looks nice. Looking forward to see more. One thing that i might mention - everything looks very earth like ( This one reminds me to Utah / Arizona ... ).
And take care to make the area not too much memory consuming and performant. Beside that really good job so far.

Are other areas also planned to remade ?

Would you think it might be a good area to collect wishes of players regarding landscape / geographic locations and maybe spawns in a single thread for future improvments ?

BR

Looks very detailed. Have you tested it on a computer using a 32 bit operating system with 4 Gig of Ram?

Or is a 64 bit OS becoming the new minimum for Entropia?

And an important question:
How much staff works for Mindark, and how many of them work on Calypso?

None of them, obviously, since Calypso is managed by another company called AR Universe which is run by Kim :silly2:

I hope you will not remake the whole place ! I mean that Athena area and arounds are unique and it would be very sad to erase all this work...

The Athena area layout is horrible and almost unplayable at the moment. As long as Kim uses the same design for the buildings I am sure the new version will be much better.

Very nice, but what about fixing the bugs on the rest of the place?
i.e.

As Kim is not responsible for bugfixes, I assume this will not affect the fixing of bugs

Looks very detailed. Have you tested it on a computer using a 32 bit operating system with 4 Gig of Ram?

Or is a 64 bit OS becoming the new minimum for Entropia?

Kim stated somewhere, that it will works even better than current design, since it's made from scratch in CE2 or something like that.

Can't find that statement.

Looking pretty neat ;p
Can I have your comp? lol

Hey everyone!

Here's a fresh set of screenshots from the Athene/Zephyrus area taken a couple of hours ago. Notice the set of rock meshes used on the cliff face. That set can be re-textured and will be used to improve the looks of cliffs on many locations around Calypso.

Please note that this is still a work in progress.

Looks nice, but please make sure that vehicles are not colliding with this small rocks and bushes as in many other places.

None of them, obviously, since Calypso is managed by another company called AR Universe which is run by Kim :silly2:

:eyecrazy: never heard of this, any links ?

:eyecrazy: never heard of this, any links ?

Ehm I can try to find some, hold on... been said a few times (the Calypso team is located in Mexico now btw, if you missed that too :silly2:)

EDIT: Here is a mention from the "Latest Buzz" over on entropiauniverse.com

The Planet Partner Revenue paid to Planet Calypso (AR Universe AB) will be divided equally: 50% paid to Land Lot deedholders and the remaining 50% to cover the ongoing development, marketing and operating costs of Planet Calypso.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/

AR Universe is still owned by MindArk though, if I understood this correctly:
It is true that MindArk once again controls the development of Calypso however that development exists as a separate group that I am a part of.

The Athena area layout is horrible and almost unplayable at the moment. As long as Kim uses the same design for the buildings I am sure the new version will be much better.

As Kim is not responsible for bugfixes, I assume this will not affect the fixing of bugs

Hey, since you seem to know everything and think all the questions are pointed at YOU, how do I filter out your posts so I dont see them? Thx

Hey, since you seem to know everything and think all the questions are pointed at YOU, how do I filter out your posts so I dont see them? Thx

Is there any particular (logical) reason I should not reply to questions I know the answer of that may else go unanswered? :scratch2:

No that was the Fort Troy Jungle area, as I said before this is still WIP and there are lots of things to add. There will be some groups of trees etc that are updated versions of old models.

he means athena space port kim !

u know ..... the place that looks so nice and caly dev's are about to break apart.
and change into more dessert with no real use.

instead of listening to the player base and forum poll's and all.

you know like the hanger that take a lot hunting / mining ground, and stickt them in a vulcano crater like mountain above each other and locate it in athena space port !

ok the pic's look good yes i agree.
it is nice for sure , but still

owke something else , i challenge you.

1. design a place where programmers can give a purpose to gunboats for us to use where they are designed for.

2. design city's with use like with use to land starfinders in so that programmers can make a actual use for hangers and that they don't take up hunting / mining ground.

i challenge you . !!

No, this was the golfcourse town: ;)

It was a bit frustrating in the beginning, when you more or less could get stuck in the bottom, and some one-way bridges (one end hung in the air), and then an outpost (servicecenter) just outside that once you got to it, it was tricky to find your way back (it was before TP-chips worked). Even fixed, the place was sort of like a maze, so I finally drew a map of the place on paper to be able to make my way around (with my default low:ish settings the place was, as alot of other places, very foggy). The fog wasn't this place's fault though, more bad things with the default graphic settings back then.

As for the hight on the overview picture: It wasn't posible to fly (before the vehicles), and it wasn't possible to climb, but with some luck (TP-chips were a bit bugged you didn't arrive where you aimed), you could teleport up to top of the "teeth". On this one there was a small spawn of combibos. The picture showing the "crater" from the side was from the "hill" north of athena spaceport (at eos). (At one of the more recent robot events I think it was a place to hunt steelbirds.)

Last edited:
... "Look! Over there!".

Classic, just classic.

Back