Bad food habits: any suggestions?

Huskie

Elite
Society
Apocalyptic Uprising
John Huskie Hunt
Hey, all.

I've just been wondering if anybody has had or knows people with similar problems and perhaps how they overcame it.

Here's my situation:

About six years ago, I decided I'd stop eating farm animals' meat (cows, chicken and pigs), but still ate eggs, dairy and fish for proteins. Even then my protein intake wasn't ideal, especially for an athlete, but I could get by.
About a year or two ago, we had to dismiss our housemaid, who also made food and fruit vitamin's every day for me, which meant my food habits would have even more room to become worse.
Then, on November just now, I finished law school, meaning I would no longer have to wake up very early, so since then I've just been going to sleep whenever I feel like it, often going to sleep at around 6 to 8 AM and waking up at 5 PM. Since I absolutely don't feel like eating for about 1 to 2 hours after waking up, with no maid, no more set times for anything, and a menu that was poor on proteins, I usually ended up eating only one meal a day, and not even a very good one at that, often eating about 300 gr of frozen lasagna, or a few bread loaves with butter or cheese. I usually only eat when I feel hungry, and I thought that was the most "natural" way, instead of eating at set times, but it seems I was terribly wrong.

What finally made the alert go off that I should change my ways was this friday, on a family reunion where people were surprised that I my hair was starting to thin out on the top of my head. My barber used to tell me he thought my hair was thinning, and I always thought it was just him messing with me, cause the first few times he said it, I actually took a mirror to the bathroom to check out my scalp and it seemed fine. But yesterday when I checked I saw that it is indeed starting to clear out a bit at the top (not very visible yet, only if you really look at it from the top). This scared me quite a bit and I started reading about hair loss causes.

From what I read it could be 3 things:
-Hereditary: my father started balding at the age of 18ish, but other than him, nobody in my family, be it from his side or my mother's had that problem, so I'm really hoping that's not the case.
-Stress: I am currently going through a rather stressful phase in my life, although I do not believe I'm feeling stressed day in and day out. I don't even know if what I am feeling qualifies as stress, since it's more just being worried or anxious (nothing extreme though) than actually feeling angsty, irritable or just pissed off. Although I'm also actually scared that worrying about the hair loss may make it even worse. :laugh:
-Protein deficiency: I've read the several symptoms of protein deficiency and the way I have been feeling and acting lately really fits in like a glove to the symptoms, including the way my hairs strands are becoming thinner and coming off easily, how I go to sleep very late (insomnia), but when I do get to sleep I can sleep the whole day away, how I feel tired and weak most of the time (fatigue), mood swings, apathy, weight loss (lost over 5 kgs ever since november, which is almost 10% of my body mass) and a lot of other things.

Another thing which may worsen the scenario is that I always ate a lot of cheese, which is fat and put a lot of salt on my food, and I've read both of these may cause acidic blood condition, which I do believe I have, because the skin on my hands peels off at some points, and I've been told that's due to acidic blood, which can also cause hair loss.

So today I've been vying to change this and hopefully reverse the damage that has already been done, but I've been wondering where to start, and how screwed I really am already.

So far, what I did today was wake up on a proper time for lunch, take an all-26 vitamin pill to strengthen hair strands and make up for any vitamin deficiencies I most likely have from not eating meat (which most vegetarians do), eat a portion of integral rice grains, peas and a can of tuna for proteins, a few pieces of broccoli and covered it all in olive oil (for nutrients that are good for strengthening the hair).

However I'd really like more suggestions on good protein sources or other suggestions to strengthen hair roots/strands. I've read eggs are one of the best natural protein sources, however if you eat too much of that you risk developing cholesterol problems. Besides just eating tuna and eggs gets old really quick (I know because thats all I ate for protein the first few weeks I stopped eating meat, lol), so other suggestions are welcome.

TL;DR: Have been eating very poorly lately, feeling like shit and losing hair now probably due to protein deficiency, want to try and reverse it. Suggestions and personal experiences are most welcome.

P.S.: One more thing I've always wondered: I have always, ever since I was little, liked to shower in very hot water, and I heard hot water may damage the hair roots. I've read nothing about it while reading about hair loss though so I'm not too sure. Does anybody have any info on that?

Last edited:
You're Really askin a bunch of other gamers about eating well? GL:)

You're Really askin a bunch of other gamers about eating well? GL:)

Well, sounded like a good place to find other ppl who have been in such trouble before, and some of them may have found a good way out. ;)

I guess my main confusion is why you wouldn't eat meat since its what your body needs?

If its a moral objection to farming, there is still wild game (moose, caribou, black bear, sheep, and deer all are very good) as well as plenty of farms that specialize in being more humane.

My hair was pretty thin by the time I was 18 as well and started shaving it around that time.

I'd probably be skinny and unhealthy too if I wasn't eating burger, steaks and BACON.

narfi

ps. mostly tongue in cheek, so hopefully no offense that I posted from the view point of a different lifestyle.

I guess my main confusion is why you wouldn't eat meat since its what your body needs?

If its a moral objection to farming, there is still wild game (moose, caribou, black bear, sheep, and deer all are very good) as well as plenty of farms that specialize in being more humane.

My hair was pretty thin by the time I was 18 as well and started shaving it around that time.

I'd probably be skinny and unhealthy too if I wasn't eating burger, steaks and BACON.

narfi

ps. mostly tongue in cheek, so hopefully no offense that I posted from the view point of a different lifestyle.

Yes, it's due to moral objections (would be against eating eggs and dairy as well, but then food menu becomes unmanageable, IMO). But I'd rather not derail the discussion into that.

And I'm 23 now, btw, forgot to mention that in first post.

No offense taken, either, I know it must sound confusing. I tried my best clarifying things in the first post, but didn't want to write even more cause it's already quite the wall of text, lol.

I can buy unprocessed meat, eggs and veggies near my house, (maybe because I live in a small town) which means that the animals live more or less in the wild, rather than in a factory and eat what they eat in the wild. That could be a solution.

Try to eat more fruit (in general), nuts and carrots, and change your sleeping habits back to normal. If you see no change after some weeks try drinking more milk (milk has everything the body needs).

I'm no nutritionist but have been on gyms and diets like forever.

Yes, it's due to moral objections (would be against eating eggs and dairy as well, but then food menu becomes unmanageable, IMO). But I'd rather not derail the discussion into that.

And I'm 23 now, btw, forgot to mention that in first post.

No offense taken, either, I know it must sound confusing. I tried my best clarifying things in the first post, but didn't want to write even more cause it's already quite the wall of text, lol.

My lifestyle for the past few years isn't much different from what you've described and my hair is just fine which makes me think it just might be the hereditary factor :holyshit: Which is probably not what you want to hear :scared:

P.S.: I'm a couple of years older than you.

Yep very confusing for me, seems to go against the logic of both Darwinism and Intelligent Design.

If I chose not to eat any meat at all what would my options be? hmm...

Breakfast, (6-8am)
most days:
Granola with lots of nuts and soy milk. (honey is amazing but also comes from animals, so brown sugar as sweetener)
2 boiled eggs w/ salt and pepper.
Large Glass of Orange juice.

1-2 days a week:
2x fried egg and cheese sandwiches to mix it up.

Mid morning snack, (10am)
apple, orange, carrots, or celery (peanut butter on the celery)
Bag of peanut M&Ms
can of soda, juice or water

Lunch 12:00 noon
Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup,
or
Cheese and jalapeno quesadilla + apple
or
vegie burger :( with enough fixings and pickles they aren't too disgusting w/ french fries
or
Big salad with chopped up boiled eggs, almonds and lots of cheese (there might be bacon-less bacon bits, I'm not sure)
or
Tunafish sandwitch
etc....

Afternoon Snack (3:00pm)
Same as morning

Supper 6:00pm:
Baked Salmon w/ rice or corn
or
Nachos with everything (tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, mushrooms and of course lots of cheese) and salsa
or
Baked Potatoes w/ tuna and cheese (I've never had tuna on it, but I think you could do it in a way that didn't taste too bad)
or
Corn bread and chili (made without meat :/ ) w/ cheese sticks and pickles on the side.
or
I'm sure I could come up with a few more ideas.

Night time snack 10-12pm:

bag of almonds with a cold glass of chocolate soy milk

Lots of protein and iron supplements as well as regular daily vitamins.

This assumes at least some daily exercise (you said your an athlete) and my own ideas of taste (nothing to do with health concepts except for taking meat out and adding in some other protein)

I cant really claim to be the picture of health, but most of that is because of my lack of daily activity. (Desk job slowed down my day time activity, and EU slowed down my sports activities after hours)

I think iron is important as well, (haven't studied much on it) so you might research that a little.

There is the physical deficiencies of your body not getting what you need, but there is also the psychological issues from not being on a good sleep/rest/work/life goal schedule as well. It is easy to get in a rut of activity where you feel almost depressed and with a lack of motivation. (not sure if you have this, but I do from time to time) The best way out of this is to discipline yourself to keep your sleep/rest/work/entertainment/life goals in balance. (waking up for breakfast instead of lunch?)

narfi
(sorry if none of this is applicable to what your asking, was kind of a fun exercise for me to see what I would do in your situation)

How could I forget smoked salmon spread and crackers?!?!?!??!?!?

good for every meal or snack except for breakfast. (I'm sure breakfast is fine too if your a bachelor :p )

Canned/Jarred smoked salmon mixed with cream cheese, jalapenos, pickles, and seasonings and eaten on crackers. Its Delicious!

First and best thing you need to do is go to bed at a rather normal time...and even if you are tired don't sleep longer then 9.00 o'clock in the morning.
Make sure when you wake up to prepare a good breakfast, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day ;). Even if you don't feel like eating in the morning you should at least try for 2 weeks..and you will notice your body gets used to it and you will actually feel hungry when you wake up after some time.
I had that problem too not eating breakfast but i managed to overcome it and i must say it really makes a difference too in how you feel during the day.

Make sure you eat more then only one time a day..by that i mean not only dinner ( and yes make a balanced meal by yourself, not out of the microwave!!!) but eat little things in between too like some fruit, but also try not to eat after 8 or 9 PM. That is not only bad for your health, it also causes you to sleep not well because your body is still trying to digest the food you ate.

Drink alot of juice or water, keep it down on coffee..

And yes what you asked about showering with hot water..it is indeed very bad for your hair.

Skip that bad food take some beer.:lolup:

in the uk we have a populer meat substitute called Quorn that is reconmened amoungst veg's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

P.S. Narfi Black Bear???:eyecrazy: Do you have to kill and skin it your self or do you ask your local butcher for "a half pound of a pork sausages and a leg of black bear":confused: The diffrent lives we live.:laugh:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been told before that one should eat a little every 3 hours of the day, but I just don't feel hunger more than once in the day. Some days I only actually ate anything at all because it felt wrong not to eat anything, but if it depended only on me feeling hunger I could have gone entire days on nothing.

For whatever reason, though, every single day I feel thirsty the entire day, and it's not rare for me to ingest 3 liters of liquid in a day.

I suppose I'm gonna have to try that out, regardless of how (not) hungry I feel.

I suppose the biggest problem is that apparently I have 4 issues: protein deficiency, some vitamin deficiencies, acidic blood and high blood pressure. The last two I've actually had for a long time, and never bothered me at all, except now that they seem to act as catalysts to the first two.

I also never realized that you could actually "teach" your metabolism to enjoy breakfast, I always thought I was screwed because I never had the habit of taking breakfast my entire life, and when I wake up I feel kind of like after you eat a lot and couldn't fit anything else in your stomach, except my belly's empty.

The suggestions are really helpful, please do keep them coming.

Right off the top I would suggest you dont bother with internet opinions and spend a few hours talking to a nutritionalist if you are truely worried over whats happening. Seeing your doctor for the stress issues is probably also in line since that "Stress Kills" shit seems pretty real.

Usually when something like you are experienceing occurs suddenly its a sign of something going on that has seen a major change. Investigate that first then get yerself lined out with the diet.

Maybe try chewing gum for the hour before a planned meal?

Chewing gum always makes me super hungry and so I have to avoid it otherwise I over eat.
It gets your saliva going which triggers the digestive juices in your stomach which in turn gives you the feeling of hunger.

narfi

Ofc you can teach your body to eat in the morning..and from what you write here by not feeling hungry all day and not eating is the worst thing you can do to yourself, do you do that often? because maybe that also triggers your acidic blood values..your body is trying to get it's resources out of your own intestins if you don't have much fat on yourself..meaning that it's very bad for your conditions you have (blood pressure..acidic blood..)

And not eating all day is just plain bad no matter how healthy you are and you can train your body too on getting hungry during the day. Just start with little bits of food. Or try not to eat too much calories and fat. Start with a *light* meal..not to much potatoes, some salad or vegetables maybe some fish if you don't eat meat or some tofu instead..:wise:

Oh and i found this on internet someone asking about hot showering and how it is for your hair..
Very bad, especially for your hair roots, which can be damaged by the hot water.
Resulting in hair loss.

Maybe try chewing gum for the hour before a planned meal?

Chewing gum always makes me super hungry and so I have to avoid it otherwise I over eat.
It gets your saliva going which triggers the digestive juices in your stomach which in turn gives you the feeling of hunger.

narfi

Haha, funny, for me chewing gum has the opposite effect. When I'm hungry and in some place I know it will take long to have food again I chew bubble gum to trick my body into thinking I'm eating, so after a bit of chewing my hunger goes away. :laugh:

(Haven't had to do that in a long time already, though)

Haha, funny, for me chewing gum has the opposite effect. When I'm hungry and in some place I know it will take long to have food again I chew bubble gum to trick my body into thinking I'm eating, so after a bit of chewing my hunger goes away. :laugh:

(Haven't had to do that in a long time already, though)

That is because you are fooling your brain with the chewing gum..you are chewing and your brain thinks it is eating..but all you are doing is chewing...gum ;)

Hey Huskie,

As a genuinely interested and willing fellow-Entropian, I'd like to take contact with you privately about your problem. This is something I may possibly be able to help with, since I also don't eat meat and am your age (22 actually) and am also an athlete, so have similar needs there.

I'm pretty fanatical about nutrition and spend plenty of hours a day reading up on and listening to interviews about it. It's quite likely that I can either directly give you some information you need or at least guide you in the right direction.

So, shoot me a PM with details of how to contact you, and we'll have a nice chat about lots of fun stuff, and we'll see if all those hours spent researching have paid off :)

It is possible the extreme thirst is because of your excess salt intake, so try to cut that out.

It is also possible that increase thirst, significant weight loss and acidic blood could be signs of diabetes, so you really need to contact your doctor immediately.

Just my 2 pec.

Cheers,
Seri:wise:

Cool, Dalas, I just sent you a message.

It is possible the extreme thirst is because of your excess salt intake, so try to cut that out.

It is also possible that increase thirst, significant weight loss and acidic blood could be signs of diabetes, so you really need to contact your doctor immediately.

Just my 2 pec.

Cheers,
Seri:wise:

Hmm yes, I've heard that before, as well, but I've always had that thirst ever since I was a little kid.

I've also had my blood tested on recent years on a couple times I've been hospitalized (they weren't looking for diabetes specifically in the tests but I'm confident they would have noticed it, if I was diabetic).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been told before that one should eat a little every 3 hours of the day, but I just don't feel hunger more than once in the day. Some days I only actually ate anything at all because it felt wrong not to eat anything, but if it depended only on me feeling hunger I could have gone entire days on nothing.

For whatever reason, though, every single day I feel thirsty the entire day, and it's not rare for me to ingest 3 liters of liquid in a day.

I suppose I'm gonna have to try that out, regardless of how (not) hungry I feel.

I suppose the biggest problem is that apparently I have 4 issues: protein deficiency, some vitamin deficiencies, acidic blood and high blood pressure. The last two I've actually had for a long time, and never bothered me at all, except now that they seem to act as catalysts to the first two.

I also never realized that you could actually "teach" your metabolism to enjoy breakfast, I always thought I was screwed because I never had the habit of taking breakfast my entire life, and when I wake up I feel kind of like after you eat a lot and couldn't fit anything else in your stomach, except my belly's empty.

You are saying it yourself actually and don't even notice ;)

You have thaught your metabolic system to not eat at proper times or not at all for a day, so your stomach has been shrunk to a level that it just can't handle a normal food rythm. That is why i suggest you try it first with little bits of food and build it up.

Food that you buy in a store wich you can just *throw* in your microwave do contain a substancial ammount of salt and other stuff wich are not good for you, just as the excessive cheese eating you do, and if that is all you eat besides the healthy stuff your body needs no wonder you are so thirsty.

The stress and anxious feelings you have can also be related to your very bad sleeping and eating pattern, the mind needs *food* also, so yes iron supplements can maybe help you on that part too because iron is also good for your neurologic system and is proven to cut down to anxious feelings and helpfull in stressfull periods, make sure you take some vitamine B12 along with it too that is the best combination.

but if you ask me...when you eat healthy and drink enough a day, excersise and actually take some fresh air outside every day..you really don't need all those vitamine pills.

Because all vitamins are in the food you eat, you just have to know what food gives wich vitamins and then you can prepare yourself the most delicious and well balanced meals without pills..pills are just chemical substitutes..that's not what your body wants :girl:

For balding I suggest cutting your hair into a mohawk and dying it a funky color. you may not have much hair left, but it will will look awsome :cool:

I cant help you with your diet though, I just polished off a 2 litter of moutain dew, and a half a left over pizza from last nights delivery. Like someone said...gamer food :)

For the record though my friend is a vegetarian and is always sick...We humans adapted incisor's for a reason we need to eat red meat, granted the average American (myself) probably eats way to much meat...but its very much needed to be healthy, all the political huggy fuzzy "information" that says otherwise it caused by political agenda rather than facts imo

I personaly think we humans are still very barbaric, that in order for us to survive, heck for us to just have a snack, something else has to die. Sometimes when I am real stoned I even feel a bit guilty eating a nice fat chicken.

But until there is a food processor machine like on star trek that produces food out of molecular patterns or some other "life friendly" method...Someone pass the A1 steak sauce please.

Cool, Dalas, I just sent you a message.

Hmm yes, I've heard that before, as well, but I've always had that thirst ever since I was a little kid.

I've also had my blood tested on recent years on a couple times I've been hospitalized (they weren't looking for diabetes specifically in the tests but I'm confident they would have noticed it, if I was diabetic).
You never know til you ask. If you have a friend that's diabetic have them test your blood sometime after you've been fasting for 12 hours (usually morning is best since it'll be before you eat). Maybe ask them to let you test about an hour after you eat to to see max and minimums and see what range you are in.

Sounds more like malnourishment more than diabetes, but with diabetes, it would not surprise me if that is what's going on. My wife lost a hell of a lot of weight when her sugar was out of control a few months a couple of years ago... we are talking like 50+ lbs loss in less than a 2 month period of time without changing eating habbits or excercise habbits.

However, even if it's not diabetes doesn't mean it's something else just as bad, if not worse. Talk to a doctor soon!

(if it does end up being diabetes - hope not!... aim for about 45-55 grams of carbs per meal and make sure to eat 3 meals a day. Maybe a little more or less depending on your height, etc. Doctor can tell you what to do more than any of us can... actually, if you even end up not being diabetic, shoot for this eating plan since it's actually what a lot of doctors recommend anyways for the average man)

There's no rules that will work for all afaik we're alike but not that alike. So: listen to your body, but look at the long run (some stuff tastes great, but does your body feel great after 1 hour ... 6 ... 12 hours and even days weeks months?). Breakfast? The way you describe you feel, i've felt that, i just don't take breakfast those days, or not the first hours, and why not, some ppl do great without it: a friend of mine does triatlons and only eats fruits in the morning and fresh vegetable soup at noon and a 'normal meal' (vegetables + proteins + carbs) in the evening (don't mix em fruits too much, 2 types is enough? be careful with for ex. kiwi's your teeth won't like them too much, too acidic ...) ... it feels great but won't work for everyone or depending on what you have to do that day (sometimes fruits won't bring me enough energy to make it till noon, or the soup just won't be enough to deal with the afternoon, but some days it's great) ... in India they say there's a clock for the organs: each organ gets more energy depending on what time of day it is ... but again, listen to your body to check whatever advice you find about that ... Vitamin deficiencies? Weird, a report on Inuit said they only eat meat and don't have deficiencies. I don't eat meat and have (unexplainable) vitamin D lack (some sunlight a day should fix that but it doesn't?). An apple a day doesn't hurt (tho i do change the apple into some other fruit regularly). The thirst you describe is at least an interesting signal of your body, the right fresh fruit migth fix that?
It's been said: stress is a killer, for your immune system, and it can wear you down if this stress situation takes too long (in nature it's a short fight or run and then back to calm) so try to find another state of mind (i'm doing zazen now and run/fitness every other day and i'm less stressed, try seeing thoughts as merely clouds passing by your sky, they are not you, and choose to let unhealthy/violent/... thoughts pass by without anything more, you're free to invest in healthy thoughts or to let them pass aswell). A good conversation with someone who really listens is a must at least every few days.
Much more to say, but i guess you only need 1 tip to start testing, i wish you 'pace e bene' ;)

oke, i haven´t read all the posts before this one but i had to come to the end of the page to respond as quick as i could.

first of all your lifestyle is common but nonetheless very bad!
change it!! do sports regularly(your an athlete? sure?)!

second and more important go to a doctor. the thirst, sleepyness and none existant hunger may be symptomes of diabetes, check this!

thirds, change your lifestyle! c´mon, get up and enjoy a day. see some sunlight and go out to have some fresh air. and besides you´re a vegetarian, watch what you eat. try to stick to unprocessed food, not the shit the industry throws at us.

hope you feel better soon

regards

Smoke some pot - drink some beer. That will get you on the path to a long, healthy, and happy life. :D

However I'd really like more suggestions on good protein sources or other suggestions to strengthen hair roots/strands. I've read eggs are one of the best natural protein sources, however if you eat too much of that you risk developing cholesterol problems. Besides just eating tuna and eggs gets old really quick (I know because thats all I ate for protein the first few weeks I stopped eating meat, lol), so other suggestions are welcome.

Different proteins will supply your body with different combinations of amino acids and they also differ with regard to how well the body can digest/absorb them.

I guess Dalas will be able to tell you quite a bit about that and about combining different sources of protein :)

First and best thing you need to do is go to bed at a rather normal time....

What's "normal"?

Not all people have the same rhythm, and why should anyone try to go against their rhythm, if they don't have to?

Because, believe it or not, our body cycle is lead by the sun, just like every other creature living in the surface of this planet.

Back