Gremlin hits the "sweet spot"?

Magix

Alpha
Currently, I have three suits of armor: Adj pixie, Jag UL, and gremlin.

In test after test, gremlin outperforms the other suits (except vs drones, where pixie takes no damage) in terms of decay taken. Why is this?

My theory is that gremlin hits a particular "sweet spot" in terms of balance between durability, protection, and TT. Jaguar, while being higher in durability, protects too much. Therefore, even though it's taking less decay per damage, it takes more decay because it's taking more damage than grem. On the other hand, Adj pixie, even though it has less protection and similar durability, seems to be too low of a TT to beat gremlin.

Is there another possibility?

Also, are there other UL suits that have similar performance as gremlin?

Other than Pixie, Gremlin is probably the most popular armor. There's a reason for that. :)

Your decay depends on the MOBs damage type and amount, but basically the total protection of the armour and it's durability determine the decay.

Durability, Protection & TT value. The very last best armour in my opinion is the Community Recognition Armour. The damage absorbed per pec is that of an L fap, 10 (with plates ofc). Anything higher in Durability past this armour begins to go below that figure. Armours such as Gremlin, Nemesis & CRA they all hit the sweet spot in their own unique way, those 3 in particular stand out from the rest. Some even goes as far to include Paladin in that, ghost is still good set imo.

I thought community recognition was just re-skinned jaguar?

I ran some numbers in entropedia's armor vs mobs utility, and in virtually every possible situation, grem takes less decay than jag. However, adj pixie should outperform grem. I'll check again.

I ran some numbers in entropedia's armor vs mobs utility, and in virtually every possible situation, grem takes less decay than jag. However, adj pixie should outperform grem. I'll check again.

It should if your using the majority of the protection it provides, which is the close protection on adjusted pixie. Otherwise if you use it 4 anything else ur asking for trouble.

Pixie -> Gremlin -> Protector of the Empire
Unfortunately there isn't really much in between of these UL armors to choose from. There are only some (L) sets that make sense to use. Polaris at really low MU for instance makes sense in quite a few situations.

Valuing armors only by how much decay they take is very deceiving.
Yes Adj Pixie will be 'better' than Gremlin or Jaguar in terms of decay, but after you get enough Hp and Evade you can get zero decay by hunting naked.

Armor's purpose is to protect better, not decay less!

You need to decide what you wanna hunt and then select right armor for this situations.
You will see in many cases that Jaguar will be the best choice due better protection for pec (Araneatrox, big Atrox, Scipulor), while in some situation Gremlin will give very similar protection for less decay (Aurli, Kreltin, Sumima), and in some others Jaguar will decay less for better or similar protection (Frescoquda, Furor).

As you can see, you can't say something universal as armor X is better than Y one. You need to revalue all options depending what you hunt.

But why would adj pixie take more decay?

It won't, unless it is absorbing close to or more damage against that mob than the Gremlin.

Gremlin is a nice well-rounded armour suited to your level. Adj Pixie is more suited to smaller mobs that new players will be hunting. Jag is more suited to bigger mobs that you probably struggle to kill at the moment anyway.

At some moment you reach a point where you don't actually need nemesis/paladin/gremlin/bear for mobs because you could also just wear hunter/knight/kobold/gnome/(adj)pixie (with some small plates) for any small medium mob.
I used to fear bristlehogs on amethera in the old vu, but now I don't need any armour for them. 2 or 3 herb boxes is enough.

When you reach that point the only armour you need is phantom/ghoul/jaguar/tiger or better to kill the bigger stuff. Luckily some of those armours are available in low markup L versions, or newer L armours with similar stats and markup.

Checked again, this time I did decay as a % of ammo used, same gun used for both (cb19 + beast vs atrax young-AOA, 5b plates on both.)

Results:
Adj pixie: 3.87%
Grem: 6.43%

So yes, adj pixie does decay less.

However, there were other very very interesting results:

ek-2600 decay:
adj pixie: .51%
Gremlin: .24%
(50% savings)

Herb box decay:
pixie: .23%
grem: .04% decay
(whopping 600% difference)

Plates: didn't think to record this, but i'm pretty sure it was something like 2:1 in favor of grem. (pixie plate decay was double grem.)

Pixie -> Gremlin -> Protector of the Empire
Unfortunately there isn't really much in between of these UL armors to choose from. There are only some (L) sets that make sense to use. Polaris at really low MU for instance makes sense in quite a few situations.

There are a LOT of (L) sets that make sense to use. Polaris and Tbird are the most obvious but most of the time if you can get a set of (L) armor for less than 120% you are doing well, and you normally can.

Back