Planet Postmoderna Phase 1

Why this project will fail, in the form of a single picture:

Hum... this Alex person doesn't seem to be active very much...

~Danimal

Wow, they already collected 371$, It's going really well.

Wow, they already collected 371$, It's going really well.

Wait doesn't Kickstarter work like auctions(ebay/ingame), pesky sniper bids/contributions in the last seconds.:smoke:

Interesting planet, thanks for sharing. Hope it launches in 2 years time :D.

Why so Negative

Why are people so negative about the potential of a new planet getting started. I for one think it's a great idea to have new ideas and new blood in the game. For once, half the in-game stuff won't have Neverdie plastered all over it.

I think people should get involved, volunteer and support it if the like the idea, and stay away if not. I have no affiliation with them other than reading this thread, and reading their project concept and idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Good tie , this guy reminds me of David Byrne :flip:

One reason nothing's gonna happen is cause of it's name...

While it might excite some progressive amish people, I personally find it pretty unimaginative.

I mean, I don't always judge a book by it's cover, but when the cover is so loaded with baggage it is hard not to take notice and weight its content against it.

I like the initiative, but come on, Posmoderna? Really?
Try harder.

Why are people so negative about the potential of a new planet getting started. I for one think it's a great idea to have new ideas and new blood in the game. For once, half the in-game stuff won't have Neverdie plastered all over it.

I think people should get involved, volunteer and support it if the like the idea, and stay away if not. I have no affiliation with them other than reading this thread, and reading their project concept and idea.

Just my 2 cents.

The word is sceptical - I'm not fully aware how much game designers and artists earn in different countries, but unless they get a big investor of at least few million dollars (just to "kickstart the project") there will be nothing as a result. A single person can have very good ideas about storyline, how things should be made etc. But he needs qualified staff to do it.

Just a wild guess: how many people you need to really start it and finish in somewhat decent time frame? 10 people maybe? how much is that going to cost you? 50k a month maybe? More? I don't really know, but one thing I do know - it's not cheap and it will take a million years if you want to make it from donations and such.

Postmoderna has been in the background of PE/EU since 2005 and this is one thing that talks for this. They never give up. As I recall it they first tried with their own graphic engine as a mockup to prove that the have the knowledge to create something like this.
And with a EU planet they need designers and planning people, not so much development. I think I will through in a few bucks, the end date for the $200 000 looks a bit close but it only needs $200 from 1000 people to come true.
Look at the new movie Iron Sky, http://www.ironsky.net/site/, it's funded the same way as Planet Moderna and it's allready a success IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

Becasue judging by his vid,he wears a crap tie. Anyone that wears a tie like that during their sales pitch is a dreamer. Perception is everything.

That said if someone comes along with thier own house on the line, and a damn good thought out business plan, and a planet with a unique difference to what is coming or already in place then I might listen.

business is not a place for friendships, it's cut throat especially when he wants our money which would be at stake if he can't bring a whole lot more to the table.

To harsh...maybe

Rick

Good and bad, thanks for watching the project. Regardless of any sources for "lack of confidence" or "doomsayers," we are going to keep at this and one way or another, Planet Postmoderna will be a reality.

For those of you that read the blog and actually do your research before you post as well as those that provide words of encouragement, thanks. :)

A

PS. For those that need help understanding why we called it Planet Postmoderna (straight from the website):

Why is called Planet Postmoderna?
According to French Sociologist, Jean Baudrillard, in a postmodern society there are no originals, only copies–or what he calls “simulacra.” You might think, for example, about painting or sculpture, where there is an original work (by Van Gogh, for instance), and there might also be thousands of copies, but the original is the one with the highest value (particularly monetary value). Contrast that with cds or music recordings, where there is no “original,” as in painting–no recording that is hung on a wall, or kept in a vault; rather, there are only copies, by the millions, that are all the same, and all sold for (approximately) the same amount of money. Another version of Baudrillard’s “simulacrum” would be the concept of virtual reality, a reality created by simulation, for which there is no original. This is particularly evident in computer games/simulations–think of Sim City, Sim Ant, etc.

The planet is comprised of many instanced representations of times in Earth’s History. Virtual Worlds within a Virtual World. The irony in the story is that this world of many worlds is discovered by a corporation that built its fortune on creating virtual worlds.

Within EU, it is also a virtual world within a virtual world.

Yes, but than again - how much are people willing to do for free? 1h, 2h a day of their free time as a hobby? When will the game be finished in that pace? in 20 years? Qualified workers will surely have a main job (main source of income). So, imho we are back at the fact that you need huge amounts of money to actually make something.

Oh well, good luck with the project anyway...

That guys choice of tie and shirt worries me most of all

What worries me about this project is the fact that they rely completely on donations to fund the whole development and production. Hate to be negative, but I don't see this happening through "donations". Even calypso have a hard time even with nice investment opportunities.

For those of you that read the blog and actually do your research before you post as well as those that provide words of encouragement, thanks. :)

A

PS. For those that need help understanding why we called it Planet Postmoderna (straight from the website):

Why is called Planet Postmoderna?
According to French Sociologist, Jean Baudrillard, in a postmodern society there are no originals, only copies–or what he calls “simulacra.” You might think, for example, about painting or sculpture, where there is an original work (by Van Gogh, for instance), and there might also be thousands of copies, but the original is the one with the highest value (particularly monetary value). Contrast that with cds or music recordings, where there is no “original,” as in painting–no recording that is hung on a wall, or kept in a vault; rather, there are only copies, by the millions, that are all the same, and all sold for (approximately) the same amount of money. Another version of Baudrillard’s “simulacrum” would be the concept of virtual reality, a reality created by simulation, for which there is no original. This is particularly evident in computer games/simulations–think of Sim City, Sim Ant, etc.

The planet is comprised of many instanced representations of times in Earth’s History. Virtual Worlds within a Virtual World. The irony in the story is that this world of many worlds is discovered by a corporation that built its fortune on creating virtual worlds.

Within EU, it is also a virtual world within a virtual world.

Since it was me mentioning the name of the project I'll answer this one.

1. I did read the storyline, I do watch the progress and do my research when I'm not familiar with a concept before I make any comments. The intention was to point out a flaw that I saw. Do take it as me trying to help. If I really wanted to harm the idea, I'd probably find a more efficient way. :)

2. I understand simulacra and familiar with the simulation hypothesis, but what you explained was the definition of simulacrum, not postmoderna. There's a huge difference.

Postmoderna to me at least means "everything". "Everything" is a lot of stuff. The dedication to everything should be applauded, but it sounds like a heavy undertaking.

Yes, but than again - how much are people willing to do for free? 1h, 2h a day of their free time as a hobby? When will the game be finished in that pace? in 20 years? Qualified workers will surely have a main job (main source of income). So, imho we are back at the fact that you need huge amounts of money to actually make something.

Oh well, good luck with the project anyway...

Hi Futurama,

Yes, you are correct. This is why we are going full-forward with efforts on funding. That is where all the current efforts are.

Stay tuned and thanks for your support.

--A

Since it was me mentioning the name of the project I'll answer this one.

1. I did read the storyline, I do watch the progress and do my research when I'm not familiar with a concept before I make any comments. The intention was to point out a flaw that I saw. Do take it as me trying to help. If I really wanted to harm the idea, I'd probably find a more efficient way. :)

2. I understand simulacra and familiar with the simulation hypothesis, but what you explained was the definition of simulacrum, not postmoderna. There's a huge difference.

Postmoderna to me at least means "everything". "Everything" is a lot of stuff. The dedication to everything should be applauded, but it sounds like a heavy undertaking.

Hi Ruslan,

Thanks for your comments and no, I did not take it wrong. :) I appreciate all comments--both good and bad. 'Gets us all thinking.

You are correct about this being a huge undertaking. I am up for the challenge though and that is why I have stayed with this for the last, now going on 4 years.

The definition of the underlying identity of a "virtual world" is why Postmoderna is called such. That is why I put the definition up there and why it is called Postmoderna. The world, complete with living virtual worlds within a virtual world, was also discovered by a corporation that made its fortune creating virtual worlds for an Earth civilization that was without hope and adrift.

I hope that makes sense.

Again thanks for following the project. It means a lot. Stay tuned and continue to watch my Tweets, Blog and FB posts.

--A

I have a question, as I am considering funding the project on some level.

What differentiates this project from Planet Calypso and Planet Arkadia? Already, aside from Treasure Hunting, Planet Arkadia virtually mirrors Planet Calypso in scope and theme. This has resulted in a frustration exodus from Calypso of older players, as they seek a similar platform vision with greater perception of positive communication from development staff. Fundamentally, however, the planets are not different at all. Arkadia is Calypso II.

So far, in your lore and backstory I see a similar predicament. There is largely nothing on the surface at least that tells me Planet Postmoderna is anything other than a re-imagined Planet Calypso. Down to the planetary colonization story, and disasters that may potentially befall such an initial effort, the story arc's are fundamentally similar.

What is it you are trying to express that is fundamentally different from Planet Calypso? Different enough that an entire planet is warranted for such an effort to be successfully expressed?

Cheers,

-MR

Hi Magyar,

That is a legitimate question. I assure you though, this will definitely NOT be a clone of Calypso or any other planet. The dynamics, the storyline, the quests, everything will be different. The challenge I have at this point is that I can't reveal too much. I am at a disadvantage right now because of concern about ideas being stolen. A lot is kept under wraps for that reason.

One thing I also don't want to have happen is an exodus of players. My intent is to bring new ones although, I do know some migration does occur.

One thing I can share is how important "play" dynamics and story content is to me. I am not going for a typical Entropia Experience. This is unique and is intended to be anything but "plain vanilla."

Thank again for following the project. Keep an eye out and please feel free to provide feedback.

--A

I have a question, as I am considering funding the project on some level.

What differentiates this project from Planet Calypso and Planet Arkadia? Already, aside from Treasure Hunting, Planet Arkadia virtually mirrors Planet Calypso in scope and theme. This has resulted in a frustration exodus from Calypso of older players, as they seek a similar platform vision with greater perception of positive communication from development staff. Fundamentally, however, the planets are not different at all. Arkadia is Calypso II.

So far, in your lore and backstory I see a similar predicament. There is largely nothing on the surface at least that tells me Planet Postmoderna is anything other than a re-imagined Planet Calypso. Down to the planetary colonization story, and disasters that may potentially befall such an initial effort, the story arc's are fundamentally similar.

What is it you are trying to express that is fundamentally different from Planet Calypso? Different enough that an entire planet is warranted for such an effort to be successfully expressed?

Cheers,

-MR

What worries me about this project is the fact that they rely completely on donations to fund the whole development and production. Hate to be negative, but I don't see this happening through "donations". Even calypso have a hard time even with nice investment opportunities.

While I can't say how well this project will do with donations I did help fund a new record for Mieka Pauley a very talented singer song writer. Her record became 100%+ funded via her fans before the due date. So it can happen.

I've been keeping an eye on this project for a long while and I have to say that seeing the talent participating in this project gave me the push to go back to school for my BFA in Art Studio so I can produce more polished work instead of my hand drawn conceptual stuff like I did in the past.

I think its an interesting concept and I would hope it will eventually find a home in EU. In my opinion player developed content whether it be ground roots or fully funded should be encouraged by Mindark.

Very true on all accounts Sirhc.

Here is a screenshot of a recent victory for the game development world on Kickstarter. So, yes, the concept of crowd funding and donations does work. Of course, it is important to remember you also get something in return for a pledge. In most cases it is a T-Shirt, Art or download.

main.php

In the case of our projects, there are 11 tiers or rewards. Most are virtual of course. :)

--A

While I can't say how well this project will do with donations I did help fund a new record for Mieka Pauley a very talented singer song writer. Her record became 100%+ funded via her fans before the due date. So it can happen.

I've been keeping an eye on this project for a long while and I have to say that seeing the talent participating in this project gave me the push to go back to school for my BFA in Art Studio so I can produce more polished work instead of my hand drawn conceptual stuff like I did in the past.

I think its an interesting concept and I would hope it will eventually find a home in EU. In my opinion player developed content whether it be ground roots or fully funded should be encouraged by Mindark.

Great idea on how to get funding for developing a new planet. Will you be doing any special bonuses to the players of EU that donate to this project and it becomes a reality?

GL and hope to read more about how the project goes in the coming months/years.

Thanks for encouragement K-Max,

The bonuses (long-term) will come as part of activity and supporting the game. We have several ways to reward people that are loyal and spread the word to bring in potential new players. In the Kickstarter project though it is based on the levels people pledge at.

Again thanks for the encouragement and for following the project. Regardless of what happens in this round of fundraising attempts, I am still going to keep plugging along and remain vigilant.

--A

Great idea on how to get funding for developing a new planet. Will you be doing any special bonuses to the players of EU that donate to this project and it becomes a reality?

GL and hope to read more about how the project goes in the coming months/years.

Back