Mission Rewards Rebalancing

Status
Maybe it is really needed to adjust some missions, when thinking all over it. But history shows that most(all) re-balancing in the past has brought nothing good for players but much for MA. A good point this time is, that you have announced it early and not only in a VU note *after* you change something. But at same time it brings up the question: Are you willing only to inform us early to show a change in customer relations, or did you only want us to grind like hell next month because PED Cycle/Depo is down atm? That shows how different the "trust" in MA is meanwhile.

But this:

..... We ask only that you have a bit of patience and understanding during this period, we are confident that the end result will be for the best for everyone involved- you the participants, MindArk, and the planet partners.

Come on....
PATIENCE is the only reason most of us are here. We have shown patience for years now, so better don't ask for more of that. Asking for patience again and again can lead to a situation that more and more will *lost* their patience......

haha I saw this one coming long time ago, but hey I never had the cash to finish any iron missions. standing there knowing and cant do shit...sigh :(

My advice to the MA is to ceep the the active missions like they are but to change the future missions as you like.:wise:

To do other things right now is just madness.

The 4 month notice is for ALL missions not only Calypso. The reason the Catscapades mission didn't get any notice was because it awarded far to much skills compared to any other mission on any planet.

A before/after list of the missions or at least a couple of examples will probably be provided in the near future.

" The reason the Catscapades mission didn't get any notice was because it awarded far to much skills compared to any other mission on any planet " Its not nice to fool your player.:mad:

I could understand if they made sure that for new missions they would implement another skill balance system. But why change the existing ones. The general reaction of the people playing seems to be bad. This only further reduces the pleasure of playing. The value for money factor has decreased significantly lately.

Somehow MA seems to miss the point that without players playing there is no income. The ROI of the CLD's of the last couple of weeks is already clearly showing a decline in activity. And this is just because one of the biggest issues is still not taken care of: 'The big loot imbalance'.

If i look at my friend-list i see that the number of people online in it has almost halved in the last 2 months. It are the hardcore players who still are online. But even those are playing less time or taking it easy.

I hope MA gets its act together soon and start focusing on the real issues rather then the nice to haves. The window dressing they are doing is so starting not to work.

Ok Charlie and Bjorn, here is my take on this and some suggestion

Just to be clear, I never said all attribute rewards will be removed, because they wont. They will however be harder or easier to obtain depending on the mob, it makes little sense to award 1 strength for 100 Merp and 1 Strength for 5000 Kreltin. Most people also seem to vastly overestimate the usefulness of attributes vs skills even for higher level players. But yes I know it's cool having 100+ agility.QUOTE]

Bottom line here is attributes are the one thing we can not buy. skills can be bought, attributes cannot. Attributes do work toward other game effects such as carry more weight, run faster, health regen more?, hp gains, and how effectivly we skill.

If this is not the case and they are not so useful then why are we changing it at all?

Now also what must be considered is the solidification of a gap in skilling within the playerbase. There will be those who can NEVER achieve the same in attribues as older players no matter how much they play or what they do. Firstly because older players started with more attributes upon creation than later players starting with 1 stamina vs 10. That gap is permanent and cant be closed. Now you are further increasing that gap.

This is not even taking into consideration old syle skilling before the nerf or removal of acid pools ect. Which further increases the gap.

Since the skill system overhaul a while back there has also been a permanent gap between new and old players, this coupled with initial attributes given changing and mission rewards being reworked nerfed changed ect. has created a largely unsatisfied playerbase who, to be frank, dont trust anything MA says anymore.

If you continue to create solid gaps or castes between the players skills in this manner it will ultimately demotivate many from aspiring to be the best. The reason is once they feel the goal is unobtainable, then why try? Please keep that in mind.

Time can be valuable to.

I know a lot of people now see it as the ubers back in the days used to get 10 agility in a week just for free doing nothing, but that really isn't true. Yes it was easier back then, but they did work really hard for those points. Does it really matter? No not really, except for something to show of.

Well in this case the change will benefit the newer players since it will be easier to get skills instead of attributes that barely do anything. So it's the opposite of what you are saying.

So my question is..... if attributes really are worth less than skills, then why are they so much harder to obtain and untradable? Note: consider when you a rewarded an attribute point it is not given the way that other skills are currently given. If I as lv47 evader chip in 100ped tt of evade, I might get lucky and go up 1 level,, maybe. if a level 3 evader chips in 100ped tt he will jump up maybe 10lv or so. yes the benefit is obvious there for him. But with attribute points as rewards, the reward benefit is the same for both.

Me as a planet partner am in charge of this re-balancing project but since I have seen a couple of people ask some stuff about MA (or me) that I though I may as well answer to some degree.

Yes, I played back in that time and I know people used to "fap fish" "fap flies" etc, back in the days only to skill agility (granted the cost doing this with a mod fap weren't that high but still it was a 100% loss to gain some agility and doing this for weeks did add up). I started playing PE in september 2003, and have played it since with a couple of breaks here and there. My avatar is 99% naturally skilled (chipped in 10ped FA back in 2004 to max the fap-50), I have played on a very low budget for all this time. Yes I have completed several Iron missions, pretty much all missions up to 1000 and 1 bronze mission.

My question is this. Why were the acid pools ever removed? This was a constant source of income to the benefit of MA and the player. It created a huge gap in attributes differences for those who decided to do it.

My suggested solution
Can you bring back the acid pools? Those who want to just skill, or tier up gear would happily use them. Dont you want us to spend our money on what makes both MA and the playerbase happy?

In many cases, rewards for particular missions will improve considerably under the new guidelines, which can hardly be considered a nerf.

It seems those of you expressing anger or frustration about this announcement have overlooked or misunderstood the most important part of the announcement-

Many missions currently offer a reward that is much too small for the effort required. A few examples would be the 5K Atrox, Araneatrox, Feffoid and Warrior missions. Those missions will most certainly receive the opposite of a nerf.

As for the rebalancing efforts regarding creature loots, we have listened closely to the feedback received from players in this area over the years and have plans for a major overhaul of creature loots that will result in a system that is much more exciting and fair, and that will allows all participants the ability to loot useful items for their profession and skill levels, on a wide variety of different creatures.

I must ask this, since we seem to never get an answer. Can old school gear such as Ancient MM, foeripper, imk3 imk2, Mod dar, armors, amps, mod fap ect still be looted?

I see you said the ability to loot items for their professions and skill levels, is that implying that people can in the future have a chanse to loot what they need and not expect that the ubers WILL loot it and then sell it to them (for a reasonable price) as has been alot or most of the cases in the past?

In view of this announcement I will continue to try and complete what missions I have open before August 21st, however this means that I will now postpone my visit to the new planet until after 21st August.

I always thought that we would have enough time to complete all missions as they stand and that any balancing between gamemaker and partners is between themselves and should be hammered out prior to missions release. For most people its excrutiatingly difficult to finish these missions. There is no point in playing if say you can get 275 ped TT (?) rifle for Kreltins iron mission if it is to be changed half way through

(Moving away from the subject a little I'm rather concerned about many recent changes maybe time to say my 2 pec worth....

I buy a UL HL11 and a tiering system comes in says you need 2 to tier it (and then u have a chance of losing the 2nd one). Believing mine was the only one I sell the gun at a loss. A new tiering system comes in and oh u dont need two anymore u can tier with just one. This seemed to start prices fluctuating as things become easier to tier and by which time I was onto owning a UL assassin so lost some peds on selling that. Mission tokens came in, so you could buy angel L parts just after I bought my UL angel set for 34k ped. New L guns and UL drops of guns appear in conjunction with release of CLD's (as people watch TV instead) & to have caused widespread selling of UL guns and armors making it often impossible to sell. The actual value of our skills is some 40% of what we think of as the true value if we cash out. All in all combined with missions changes it does not look good and we are losing craploads as these changes come about to the point where we will inveitably become extinct players I believe. I cannot see how I am benefiting from this and its a real kick in the cods to have worked so hard on these missions to have the rewards changed. Ok so i never really understood the nova frags rewards.. but anyway.)

Presumably this means BP rewards will be removed from arkadia or that BP rewards will be added to Calypso rewards ?

Last edited:
to be honest, to me the iron mission attribute rewards where the incentive to pick up my play speed.
And I'm fairly sure I'm not alone is this. Removing attribute rewards would mean no more incentive to actively participate in the missions.

I think it's ok to don't give attributes on new missions, but to change the rewards from old missions would cause a big riot. The people with small ped cards and not so much time to grind are being f#cked hard in the @ss. Many attributes have already been given away and those that follow are left with nothing. Well, skill maybe, but skills are a common commodity, so who cares?

Pretty please, with cherries on top, don't take away the attribute rewards!

Just to be clear, I never said all attribute rewards will be removed, because they wont. They will however be harder or easier to obtain depending on the mob, it makes little sense to award 1 strength for 100 Merp and 1 Strength for 5000 Kreltin. Most people also seem to vastly overestimate the usefulness of attributes vs skills even for higher level players. But yes I know it's cool having 100+ agility.

Clearly MindArk needed to impose some sort of restrictive guidelines on attributes or a planet partner could create ten new Merp-level mobs, give them all missions that award 1 agility for every 50 kills and suddenly everyone has 500 agility, and those hard earned naturally skilled agility points are suddenly worthless.

Exactly!

1 agility for what? 100 fouls.. on RT.. I mean... I've skilled naturally up to 70 agility. It's a pain in the ass to see those attributes been giving away like candy. Restrictions are absolutely needed.

I'd prefer skills for each stage completed and attributes in the later mission parts (4-5).

- more skill based rewards: a big fat plus
- bye bye Nova: a big fat plus

there IS a bright side :)

Cheers
BB

Attributes rewards I like, because they're a status symbol, high attributes tell people that they've been around a long time or have actually cycled a ton of peds and played the game a lot. High skills and low attributes just means that person has deep pockets. Uber armor, uber weapons, may mean that person just has a lot of peds or was lucky enough to get some loot. Pretty much the only way to tell if someone has cycled a ton of peds and played the game a lot, is from high attributes.

Attributes are a topic for conversation, the focus of many threads, they're the best gauge for "I've played a lot". I wouldn't underestimate how important attributes are in our universe. I remember when there were some insanely easy repeatable quests on RT that gave out attribute points (Stamina or Agility iirc) The moment that these quests became public information, the quests were disabled and the forum turned into an uproar. There was so much pressure that these attributes were rolled back. That was the only time I've seen anything close to a wide-scale rollback in this Universe.

I think all current attribute rewards should remain in place. Yes, 100 daikiba is insanely easy compared to say 100 scipulor, but attribute rewards are the only way you'll get me to kill 100 daikiba. There aren't that many freebies like the 100 daikiba, so I don't think it's a problem to keep them in game. You would just shaft newer players by getting rid of the reward, or by moving them up to the 5k award, you'd be giving some sorta weird advantage to people who've only half completed their iron missions while handicapping those that finished their missions all the way to 10k. I think they're fine the way they are. Just limit the amount of these in the future.

If there is concern with people delaying quests until their attributes are high enough, then allow players to move on to the next stage with the functionality to be able to delay receiving rewards. Or as someone else intelligently suggested, untradable attribute implants that we can save up and use whenever we deem fit. If PC/MA/Other PPs left the attribute awards as is and only changed future missions I think a lot of anguish would be saved. Or if no one thinks attributes are that big of a deal anymore, perhaps it's time to discuss lifting the insane softcap on them?

If you want to get rid of nova fragment rewards, then just replace those missions with a small amount of skills and a decent amount of tokens. That way the players who completed these missions won't feel too left out yet new players will still have a decent incentive to finish them, plus still they'll still have the 10k mission to look forward to in these older missions.

i mean..im several thousand of kills into the kreltin and the spidermission,if i know what the new rewards are going to be i might be motivated to actually finish 1 or both of them,or none at all

I'm doing the spider mission myself, and my problem there is that I can only kill spiders effidiently if I get hold of a cheap, fast (L) weapon, as I donn't have a huge repairable SIB weaon or oldschool gun like mod merc or foeripper, so for me the spider mission is something I've seen as a long term goal.

Small foul is a mob I hunt from time to time, only problem is that easily get bored lol. But I'll see if I can finish that up - but there is a problem: There is only one location (land area on TI) with a decent amount small fouls (the golf course used to be a good location..), and if there are more than two hunters inside the landarea easily becomes overhunted and you won't see a red dot in radar.

As for the current two-week rush: I thought I'd try to get to 100 in the sumima mission so I took a visit to east scylla. The net result was, for two sumima (which both were olds - all I saw), I had to kill one armax cow dominant, and atrax alpha, old alpha and prowler (no, I didn't get any foeripper to boost my killspeed). Unless this location is supposed to be a joke, to get people hunt on taxed lands on the medusa islands (which owners got cheaper than other land areas), I suggest you clean up the spawn and concentrate on young ones so it's possible to get somewhere within the limited two weeks.

That aside, I am at ~250/1000 longtooth to kill and x steelbirds. If longtooth mission is going to change considerably, it would be good with a constant ingame spawn.
As for steelbirds, can someone give the direction to a clean spawn of them? I've seen globals on them, but I havan't looked for them yet.
Also a stable spawn of Eomon Young, lasting until end of missions, would be great. (No I can't kill Eomon Guardians or Eomon Stalkers by myself. At least I can do youngs with a fapper if I have a decent weapon.)

Unfortunately I have constraints in hunting: The repairable weapons I have are relatively slow, I don't have uberarmor (meaning I'll spend more time fapping), and I have an IRL daytime job that prevents me from doing massive grinding around the clock during weeksdays (especially a problem during the "migration weeks" where rare event mobs shows up).

For me most of the iron missions have been long-term projects, not something I can grind trough in two weeks.

(Personally, the main concern is the stamina points as there is no other way to get them than through missions. And I've already missed the chance of 2^h3 stamiapoints because of changed missions; Rocktropia/police mission, Next Island/removed NPCs and Rocktropa/Catscapades.)

If I am to hunt more intensely, it would be great if I would have financially sane access to weapons at my skill level rather (say 50-60) rather than weapons that gives dmg/sec comparable to weapons at around level 20 (p5(L) and a104 what people usually recommend I should use...).

Oh, and again: PLEASE fix the mission spawns.

Last edited:
Or, maybe I should take some of what I said back.

If low level mobs will get their attributes taken away from em to account for the fact that it takes much less PED to finish those missions, as you said, then it might be a good idea to rebalance it now. But, as long as ubers get fairly rewarded for their time and all noobs get malevolently caned, to provide the right incentives, you know.

This might be completely off on a tangent, but still:
It'd be cool if there were 2 more attributes added: Fail, Win. Just so people know when they are kinda doing the right things when these two attributes are in equilibrium.

Also, if there won't be any attribute incentive for ubers to do low level missions they won't be messing up the MarkUp that low level players would be competing for. So, generally, it might be a really good thing.

Last edited:
What will be will be i guess, but the thing that kinda horrifies me is that there was no provision for mission/item balance between PP's and Mindark. Well thats what i read between the lines at least, otherwise such imbalances wouldn't have happened.

Or am i missing something obvious.

Better late than never though, but i think this will make a whole lotta people unhappy. People who did missions before changes and missing out, and conversly the other way around.

I watch with interest, but i have no real viewpoint on which way is right or wrong. I think whatever happens now with the changes it will cause a portion of playerbase to be angry..

Reactions: das
What will be will be i guess, but the thing that kinda horrifies me is that there was no provision for mission/item balance between PP's and Mindark. Well thats what i read between the lines at least, otherwise such imbalances wouldn't have happened.

Or am i missing something obvious.

Better late than never though, but i think this will make a whole lotta people unhappy. People who did missions before changes and missing out, and conversly the other way around.

I watch with interest, but i have no real viewpoint on which way is right or wrong. I think whatever happens now with the changes it will cause a portion of playerbase to be angry..

If you look exactly where the missions were unbalanced... it kinda speaks for itself. My free translation: "Let's give the PP a small boost with easier missions, for a while". Now, it seems, this "for a while" grace period is running out... ;)

Every design, every update has to go through "MA Central Command", if not approved, it won't happen. And the mission rewards somehow slipped through unnoticed? Riiight! :)

But, as long as ubers get fairly rewarded for their time and all noobs get malevolently caned, to provide the right incentives, you know.

It's way faster to grind through spiders with mod merc+shadow, than p5(L)(+a105)+ghost, so yeah I guess ubers get fairly rewarded for their time.

(Up until 2010 or so, I spent *alot* of time ingame as I had the time for it. I can't say I got awareded for my time ingame back then - I guess the problem was I didn't hunt the right mobs and I didn't have the right gear...)

1 agility for what? 100 fouls.. on RT.. I mean... I've skilled naturally up to 70 agility. It's a pain in the ass to see those attributes been giving away like candy. Restrictions are absolutely needed.

Umm... the kill 100 foul mission gives 1 agility on Calypso too. rocktropia seems to have done a copy-paste for the most part, even part two (kill 500) is the same with same award of novas.

But, as long as ubers get fairly rewarded for their time and all noobs get malevolently caned, to provide the right incentives, you know.

It's way faster to grind through spiders with mod merc+shadow, than p5(L)(+a104)+ghost, so yeah I guess ubers get fairly rewarded for their time. A typical uber also have the option during eomon migrations to freely chose maturity of eomon, while a mid-level player have to stick with just the "Young" ones. And during time of steelbirds, ubers have option to go for steelbird elites; it's a bit easier with repairable shadow/eon and imp/mod fap.

(Up until 2010 or so, I spent *alot* of time ingame as I had the time for it. I can't say I got awareded for my time ingame back then - I guess the problem was I didn't hunt the right mobs and I didn't have the right gear...)

Umm... the kill 100 foul mission gives 1 agility on Calypso too. rocktropia seems to have done a copy-paste for the most part, even part two (kill 500) is the same with same award of novas.

Imho, that kind of missions ("universal" mobs) should be "universal" - that it is a single mission (but that you can sign up to and claim rewards at "any" broker), and that it doesn't matter where (which planet) you hunt. Two identical missions for same mob is just silly.

It's way faster to grind through spiders with mod merc+shadow, than p5(L)(+a104)+ghost, so yeah I guess ubers get fairly rewarded for their time. A typical uber also have the option during eomon migrations to freely chose maturity of eomon, while a mid-level player have to stick with just the "Young" ones. And during time of steelbirds, ubers have option to go for steelbird elites; it's a bit easier with repairable shadow/eon and imp/mod fap.

Yeah, it is faster. I did have a some good gear to hunt more efficiently recently until I sold some stuff, but I did not do anything over what I needed to get that Agility point..

Other than that, I'd rather wait for everyone else to tank the skill market, so I can buy more skills for cheap. :)

Say, you have this goal: 100 AGI

At the moment with 83 AGI you are somewhere in the middle, about half AGI missions done another half intentionally left for laters. At 8x AGI moves slow, but it still moves.

If you would add all the available AGI missions now, you would land somewhere at 97-98 AGI... Few points short. This is a serious problem. While at 8x the AGI moves slow, in the upper 9x it is simply stuck, and stuck for years.

Only way out - get to 85-86 AGI naturally, AND then complete all AGI missions before some may be removed. Mission impossible, not enough time.

If even one AGI mission will be gone in the meantime, you will land a few points below 100. Lovely perspective, innit? :)

Attributes rewards I like, because they're a status symbol, high attributes tell people that they've been around a long time or have actually cycled a ton of peds and played the game a lot. High skills and low attributes just means that person has deep pockets. Uber armor, uber weapons, may mean that person just has a lot of peds or was lucky enough to get some loot. Pretty much the only way to tell if someone has cycled a ton of peds and played the game a lot, is from high attributes.

Attributes are a topic for conversation, the focus of many threads, they're the best gauge for "I've played a lot". I wouldn't underestimate how important attributes are in our universe. I remember when there were some insanely easy repeatable quests on RT that gave out attribute points (Stamina or Agility iirc) The moment that these quests became public information, the quests were disabled and the forum turned into an uproar. There was so much pressure that these attributes were rolled back. That was the only time I've seen anything close to a wide-scale rollback in this Universe.

A lot of players seem to be missing this point, so thank you for explaining it. It might be the same players that haven't reached the point where they don't get a new point in an attribute for a solid day of skilling, who don't realize that after 80 or 90, they just don't go up anymore.

If there is concern with people delaying quests until their attributes are high enough, then allow players to move on to the next stage with the functionality to be able to delay receiving rewards. Or as someone else intelligently suggested, untradable attribute implants that we can save up and use whenever we deem fit. If PC/MA/Other PPs left the attribute awards as is and only changed future missions I think a lot of anguish would be saved. Or if no one thinks attributes are that big of a deal anymore, perhaps it's time to discuss lifting the insane softcap on them?

This is exactly why i haven't done more of the iron challenges, especially the ones that give strength or agility. I have the 100 mob version of almost every one of them finished, but without picking up the next mission to delay getting the attribute. If i could defer applying the attribute point indefinitely while continuing the mission, i would be done with at least half of the 10k missions by now (instead of just the merp).

If you have that little control over what a PP puts into his missions/loot you can as well shut down EU altogether - that'll be faster.

I 100% agree Wizz.

Imho, that kind of missions ("universal" mobs) should be "universal" - that it is a single mission (but that you can sign up to and claim rewards at "any" broker), and that it doesn't matter where (which planet) you hunt. Two identical missions for same mob is just silly.

Its a pity Foul turned out to be a shared mob. But certainly, shared mobs should have either one of:
  • No missions
  • Only platform missions that count kills everywhere

:scratch2:

Questions for the specialists:
1) What are the effects of having bigger attributes like Agility or Strength? Do they increase the HP as skills do?
2) Assuming that MA will publish the new rewards, on what basis should an average hunter decide to stop to finish a mission or not before August?
3) Assuming that MA will NOT publish the new rewards, what is better choice?

Or
4) Ignore this new encouragement to deposit / burn PEDs and keep on hunting as we do?

1 main thing here MA:

You MUST publish all the rewards after you nerf the system because there is so much work involved in making the list with missions and what rewards they are offering , in fact it's not even finished yet and you are planning on changing the whole system again

For the sake of all of us please post those rewards after you finish the missions revamp, be it in a complete list posted on EU website or at least at the mission broker for each mob, and I am not talking only for the first stage, but for the whole mission chain for that mob in order for us to decide if we want to go to the 10K mission or not.....it's not funny to kill kkk mobs to reach the 10K one and then find out that it only give...20 PED TT Rifle or so

So please, if you want to show some good faith publish all the rewards fot all the missions and have some respect for the work some people here have done do make that allready!

:scratch2:

Questions for the specialists:
1) What are the effects of having bigger attributes like Agility or Strength? Do they increase the HP as skills do?

Attributes are a special kind of skills. The HP contributions of attributes are:
  • Stamina - 1/9.25
  • Strength - 1/20
  • Agility - 1/40
  • Psyche & Intelligence - 1/80

2) Assuming that MA will publish the new rewards, on what basis should an average hunter decide to stop to finish a mission or not before August?

Personal benefit vs PED card.

Complete what you are prepared to complete regardless of what happens to rewards. Complete missions that are likely to lose the rewards, or have these significantly reduced. Complete missions that have a high amount of existing vs remaining investment. Do kill 100 you haven't yet, as these at least seem to be the most likely to become less rewarding.

Thanks! :)

Attributes are a special kind of skills. The HP contributions of attributes are:
  • Stamina - 1/9.25
  • Strength - 1/20
  • Agility - 1/40
But I belive these Attributes also increase by skill gain. So unless we know the changes in advance, there is no way to predict if one will have better HP increase by Attributes or by skills, right?

Personal benefit vs PED card.
OK, say I don't care about how many skills or attributes I have. Also I have maxed all the weapons and FAPs I wanted to use for my level. The only benefit I expect from the missions is the HP increase. Now, IF MA publishes the changes, should I focus on Attributes or skills?

• Stamina - 1/9.25
  • Strength - 1/20
  • Agility - 1/40

Agility also makes you run faster while strength lets you carry more. Psyche and intelligence has no bonus like that, something me and many others feel is unfair to those using professions that mainly gains the "non-favored attributes" (mainly mindforce, mining, crafting).

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?221785

Agility also makes you run faster while strength lets you carry more. Psyche and intelligence has no bonus like that, something me and many others feel is unfair to those using professions that mainly gains the "non-favored attributes" (mainly mindforce, mining, crafting).

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?221785

Thanks for information.

But:
- Agility and fast running: no longer usefull as all mobs outrun us now. Also we have vehicles.
- Strength: no longer usefull since ammo have no weight and the Inventory becomes yellow at 340+ kilos only.

:silly2:

Status
Back