Sea Level?

N. Radioactive

Prowler
Society
Alluvial Peace Alliance
Nicolas Radioactive d'Entremont
I'm just wondering why sea level in calypso is set to 98 meters in elevation? Shouldn't it be 0?

Sea level as always been 100 meters afaik, in Caly, that is

Last edited:
Because all in-game co-ordinates must be positive numbers.
If there are negative coordinates in space, why we can't have them planetside?
Also it assumes that there are no oceans deeper than 100m, not sure of that, need to check when will be on Caly...

The server does indeed have z coordinates down far below zero, which you can discover if you fall beneath the surface of the ground (it's all just water down there). They design the landscapes so that no areas of the map are below 0, I suppose to prevent confusion. Since you can swim down to the bottom of the ocean, they place the lowest point in the ocean at 0 and that raises "sea level" to about 100. Space servers 8192m tall in the z axis, so if the planetary servers are the same size, the landscape is sitting on about 7000m of water.

Sea level on Arkadia is about 85.

The server does indeed have z coordinates down far below zero, which you can discover if you fall beneath the surface of the ground (it's all just water down there). They design the landscapes so that no areas of the map are below 0, I suppose to prevent confusion. Since you can swim down to the bottom of the ocean, they place the lowest point in the ocean at 0 and that raises "sea level" to about 100. Space servers 8192m tall in the z axis, so if the planetary servers are the same size, the landscape is sitting on about 7000m of water.

Sea level on Arkadia is about 85.

It is more than 7000m deep. -9999m is more like it, below which you flip to 1000 meters in the air.
That being said, I got the position of a certain avatar drop while he was seated in his hoverpod to -242 km (yes, -242000) as they sink much faster after which he gave up out of boredom. Possibly the sky height and ocean depth are only limited by the data type representing them (for example a 32-bit integer ... so pretty darn high/deep).

Maybe it has just been raining a lot recently :D

Just because the inhabitants of the planet earth decided to use a measuring system that started with sea level being 0 does not mean that all planents in the universe needed to do the same.

For Calypso it is twice the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything plus ten times the square root of two... obviously.

I wonder how raising the sea-level on Calypso say to 250 meters for a while would affect the micro-economy and game play :laugh: Leviathans to the Mall!

Back