What ever happened to the planet "partner" vision?

... The whole point of the re-balancing is to make sure that no planet is favored by having missions that are easier/give better rewards for the same effort ...

Isn't that a catch 22?

On one side you want planets to compete with each other, on the other side you are making sure they all offer the same reward for the same effort.

In what area are PPs going to compete then? The way they paint and name 3D models?

Apart from having different eye-candies and different buttons to click, who would care about using one "unique" PP system or another if their reward/effort output is the same?

They did and they are. You must have missed it, but Charlie and his crew of Calypso developers are not working for Mindark any longer. They work for a company called AR Universe, which is the Planet Partner for Calypso.

The confusion comes from the fact that at least some of them used to work for Mindark and Calypso still enjoys a few benefits above the other Planet Partners. For example, the Calypso developers got the tools to develop instances (beacons) much earlier than other Planet Partners. It's my understanding that they are available now to everyone, but this is the reason why treasure hunting on Arkadia was delayed so long compared to beacons. Confusion also arises from certain AR Universe employees having special access to Mindark (most notably Kim), so that certain changes can be made immediately (mob spawns, loot, etc) that a Planet Partner would need to apply for changes to be approved and wait weeks while they were implemented. I could be wrong but right now, I don't think it's possible for other planets to have invasion events like the one going on now.

So, Mindark IS working to make all planet partners more equal but there's still some way to go. Give them some time, they've had to deal with a lot of fundamental changes over the past year and a half as EU expands hugely each time a new planet is released.

The rebalancing of missions here is just another step in the right direction. They needed to define mission rewards for all planet partners, including Calypso. David Dobson said over on PAF that, at first look, the new guidelines will make it easier for them to develop new missions, because they don't have to go through a lengthy approval process while Mindark decides if their proposed rewards are "balanced". Missions take a long time to develop and faster development of missions can only be a good thing.

And one final note... I think people have been expecting each planet to have its own unique abilities, that the treasure hunting system should only be allowed on Arkadia, for example. I disagree--I think it's better for each planet to have all the same tools, that way all skills are portable and Mindark only has to develop one system. How would you like it if Mindark had to spend 3/4 of their time developing cool systems that could never be used on Calypso? If you look at the seven destinations we have now (4 planets, plus FOMA, CP, and space), they're all very different, and do appeal to very different types of players. Which is a good thing, since EU as a niche game can fill more niches with each new planet.

I think they got the tool for instances earlier because they were supposed to make sure it actually worked as it should for the developers (planet partners) :dunno: read that somewhere at least

As for treasure hunting, I agree that all planet partners should have the same tools. It will still be completely different on Arkadia from what I have understood from Arkadia/Calypso dev posts (the items looted are more integrated in a treasure hunting type storyline on Arkadia perhaps) and the treasure hunting mining system is just supposed to be a small part of the treasure hunting system.

Also, Kim is able to change mob spawns and such on a whim, but def. not loot :)

Apart from having different eye-candies and different buttons to click, who would care about using one "unique" PP system or another if their reward/effort output is the same?

I think the point is for different planets to offer different feels, experiences and activities... Not compete who can release the item with the most market-killing stats (like some seem to have tried recently) or who can lure the players with the biggest amount of freebies and/or super easy rewards.

In what area are PPs going to compete then? The way they paint and name 3D models?

This game isn't just about eye candy and 3D models. It's only partly about the graphic appeal... the community, economy, discovery, storylines are what really make people stick around for more than a month. You don't "win" the game by getting higher loot returns, you "win" it by getting MU in your loot. The PP can design their planet and their economy how ever they like. There are planets where loot has little value because the economy hasn't been designed very well. There are other planets where MU is good because the developers have designed it that way. Some have good missions and engaging storylines, others don't. Some have good communities, others don't. Those are the areas where the planets compete. They also compete in marketing to recruit new players to their planet.

I thought we (the players) recently bought it with CLD and will have voting rights in future? thanks

You must have missed it, but Charlie and his crew of Calypso developers are not working for Mindark any longer. They work for a company called AR Universe, which is the Planet Partner for Calypso.

You must have missed it, but MA still owns (and ultimately controls) Calypso.
Which means, Charlie and his crew still work for MindArk.

http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/AR_Universe
AR Universe AB is a 100% subsidiary of MindArk and developer of Planet Calypso.

subsidiary
2 (of a firm, company etc) controlled by another, larger firm.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subsidiary

It's only partly about the graphic appeal... the community, economy, discovery, storylines are what really make people stick around for more than a month.

Well, if you ask me, I'd say only economy matters on that list.

Ofc there will be people (especially forum frequenters) saying that great friends they made in game keep them logging in, but the truth is (my version of it ofc, the right one :)) - if there will be no way to withdraw money from this game it will become another AW with like 100 people playing it in no time.

I think Arkadia have had it's "honeymoon" year. Ofc Ark fans will say: hey, it's been a year and Caly's had 10, give us 2 more we'll tear you up like a piano wire, but the truth is, again, Caly will also move forward, so I don't think you'll catch up.
All look and feel and storylines didn't really help you much, neither to attract substantial numbers of new depositors nor to flourish economically.

I think Cyrene will be a planet #2 from now on, as it's the only planet that has a big professional studio behind it, with lots of resources to throw in if they like or need. There will be a short golden rush as it happened to Ark a year ago, then most of the people saying "it's my new home foreva" will slowly migrate back to there things are most active trade-wise, Caly.

The size of the player base doesn't matter, only the size of depositing part of it does.

I personally do not see any increase trading-wise, so I assume it doesn't grow atm. Fingers crossed it will, although my fingers are already numb from being crossed for years.

Won't Cyrene be in the same position though as RT, NI and Ark? They may also have a bigger studio to but that also means bigger bills.

We'll have to see how MA will stir things up to allow for localised economies because the lootable pvp doesn't seem to have worked to well.

And especially during Calypso events most migrate back at which point the economy dies on the other planets, hard to compete against a bot invasion with hofs pinging off every few seconds like they were over the weekend especially when the PP's can't adjust stuff on the servers whenever they like.

Won't Cyrene be in the same position though as RT, NI and Ark? They may also have a bigger studio to but that also means bigger bills.

We'll have to see how MA will stir things up to allow for localised economies because the lootable pvp doesn't seem to have worked to well.

And especially during Calypso events most migrate back at which point the economy dies on the other planets, hard to compete against a bot invasion with hofs pinging off every few seconds like they were over the weekend especially when the PP's can't adjust stuff on the servers whenever they like.

Its the same over Xmas on RT NDS (where the prize are rl and in game items) had a event to deal with the MM event, but they dont have the same tools.They also have to wait for MA to make the prizes and then give them to NDS to give out to winners.

You must have missed it, but MA still owns (and ultimately controls) Calypso.
Which means, Charlie and his crew still work for MindArk.

http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/AR_Universe
AR Universe AB is a 100% subsidiary of MindArk and developer of Planet Calypso.

subsidiary
2 (of a firm, company etc) controlled by another, larger firm.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subsidiary

You are misunderstanding. The purpose of AR Universe AB is to manage the Calypso asset as a trustee for the players, who are the true Planet Partner in Calypso. 50% of the player share is provided to the trust (AR Universe AB) to pay for continued development, advertising, and hosting/maintenance.

I think your misunderstanding is rather deliberate, though. So I don't think my words will make a bit of difference to your opinion.

You are misunderstanding. The purpose of AR Universe AB is to manage the Calypso asset as a trustee for the players, who are the true Planet Partner in Calypso. 50% of the player share is provided to the trust (AR Universe AB) to pay for continued development, advertising, and hosting/maintenance.

I think your misunderstanding is rather deliberate, though. So I don't think my words will make a bit of difference to your opinion.

Hahahaha, you're so full of shit, it's hysterical.

You are correct on one thing though, your words in particular make no difference in my opinion.

Now, if those words actually came from a MA official, I would take them into consideration. However, I'm fairly certain a MA (or "Calypso") official would ever state what you did above.

Now, if those words actually came from a MA official, I would take them into consideration. However, I'm fairly certain a MA (or "Calypso") official would ever state what you did above.

No you wouldn't. MA officials have posted on this thread, and you continue to bellyache as if they said nothing at all. Are you so petty you cannot see that your words here do not match your actions?

All you are doing is causing drama because you are bored, and this gives you something to do with your day.

No you wouldn't. MA officials have posted on this thread, and you continue to bellyache as if they said nothing at all. Are you so petty you cannot see that your words here do not match your actions?

All you are doing is causing drama because you are bored, and this gives you something to do with your day.

MA officials have posted on this thread? Who, Charlie? He is the only official who has posted, and supposedly he is the head of Calypso and does not work for MindArk... even though for weeks he has posted on PCF as a MA official and didn't bother to change his business information until it was brought to his attention.

So, no... no MA officials have posted on this thread. (You can eat your words now.)

The original intent of the thread was to (hopefully) get people wondering what the hell happened to the way things were planned for this universe, and possibly even get an "official" to comment on it.

All I got from a "Calypso Official" was Charlie saying I took his words out of context, then acknowledging that his account info was "confusing".

Read through some of the posts, you'll see that other people are frustated about the situation as well.

So, no... no MA officials have posted on this thread. (You can eat your words now.)

Your screenshot seems to say otherwise. Its something you pursue to its negative point, highlighting reasons to distrust, almost pathologically. Except of course when it seems when to suit your interest to feign belief in the other direction, as it does now.

Youre a drama queen. A pot stirrer. You're begging for attention with these posts. How old are you? When is it, exactly, that you are going to grow up?

Mods might just want to close this thread. You're just trollin.

Your screenshot seems to say otherwise. Its something you pursue to its negative point, highlighting reasons to distrust, almost pathologically. Except of course when it seems when to suit your interest to feign belief in the other direction, as it does now.

Youre a drama queen. A pot stirrer. You're begging for attention with these posts. How old are you? When is it, exactly, that you are going to grow up?

Mods might just want to close this thread. You're just trollin.

Yes, exactly. My screenshot in the OP says otherwise, and then the profile was changed by Charlie. Have you even read this thread? :scratch2:

It would be nice if you actually contributed to the conversation and topic of the thread/OP, rather than insulting me and fishing for personal information which is not revelvant and frankly, none of your business.

Actually , I ask that YOU stop trolling, which is exactly what you're doing. :wise:

arkadia was meant to be the planet with treasure hunting. but treasure hunting will be for all planets indeed. so that speciallity is also out. at least nice to use the skills on every planet but somehow another things which dont keep word that planets keep something special.

I so wanted Arkadia to have unique features, but as you said (and if I understand correctly) treasure hunting will most likely be implemented across the entire universe in some form.

Is there confirmation of this or is it speculation based on the fact that all finders have the treasure hunt button? Simply because a remnant of something can be visible in one form or another doesn't necessarily mean it is an active function in all regions.

Look at the gear that is specifically for "The HUB" on Cyrene, you can take those items away from the hub, but they are not allowed to function.

It may be easier to just implement the treasure button on all finders instead of having a unique finder interface for Arkadia. Where it would simply state "this function is not available in this area" if you tried to use it anywhere but Arkadia.

If there is confirmation of this somewhere though I would be curious to see it.

David Dobson has talked about this in his interview(s). The treasure hunting system (the 3rd button on your finder) will be available for all the other planet partners to use, if they desire.

However, Arkadia's plan for treasure hunting is a lot more than just having a 3rd kind of resource in the ground.

David Dobson has talked about this in his interview(s). The treasure hunting system (the 3rd button on your finder) will be available for all the other planet partners to use, if they desire.

However, Arkadia's plan for treasure hunting is a lot more than just having a 3rd kind of resource in the ground.

Exactly, seen this said in several places and I assume that is true for all game systems? :dunno:

Exactly, seen this said in several places and I assume that is true for all game systems? :dunno:

It was confirmed in one of the many MA interviews, not sure who but probably Frank or David but any system added by them will be open for use by all PP's unless they request not to have it on their planet.

It was confirmed in one of the many MA interviews, not sure who but probably Frank or David but any system added by them will be open for use by all PP's unless they request not to have it on their planet.

Yes. Open for use doesnt mean available to be used by players though. The planet partners would have to create scenarios on their planets whereby these professions could actually be viable. Digging for treasure in a place where there is no treasure to be allocated is completely futile. And buying whatever is ultimately necessary for treasure hunting be it probes or specified types of finders might be hard if the planet partner never makes them available.

We have 3 tiers here. Unavailable for use, Open for use, and Ready for use. Folks are confusing the middle category for the latter.

Yes. Open for use doesnt mean available to be used by players though. The planet partners would have to create scenarios on their planets whereby these professions could actually be viable. Digging for treasure in a place where there is no treasure to be allocated is completely futile. And buying whatever is ultimately necessary for treasure hunting be it probes or specified types of finders might be hard if the planet partner never makes them available.

We have 3 tiers here. Unavailable for use, Open for use, and Ready for use. Folks are confusing the middle category for the latter.

Let's hope they disable that setting on your finder when you're on a planet that does not have treasure hunting. At 10 probes per use, it could be an expensive mistake to accidentally select it and go on your mining run. :eyecrazy:

I wonder if mining amps will work for treasure hunting too.

Last edited:
I didn't read the whole thread. I just wanted to add a quote I liked very much:

"Vision without implementation is hallucination"

Why would you not want treasure finding on all planets?

Why would you not want treasure finding on all planets?

For the same reason I wouldn't want THE THING on all planets... or monkeys... or any number of other features uniquie to specific planets and their developers.

For the same reason I wouldn't want THE THING on all planets... or monkeys... or any number of other features uniquie to specific planets and their developers.

Well, The Thing is basically a world using mission chains to progress the story, so you already have the same system on every single planet :rolleyes: treasure hunting is not that different, it is a system that can be implemented in very different ways depending on how the developer wants to use it.

Oh, and I haven't seen any complaints about Next Island and Cyrene both using crystal magic as part of their plot and storyline :cool:

2 thoughts after reading this:
  • glad to see here's people with calm and rational mind!
  • are they representing the majority of (CLD)-citizens, or a minority?

hm, the second thought was a bit creepy :vampire:

2 thoughts after reading this:
  • glad to see here's people with calm and rational mind!
  • are they representing the majority of (CLD)-citizens, or a minority?

hm, the second thought was a bit creepy :vampire:

A definitive minority. If you want to talk about CLD's and who holds them and what decisions are being made, well... in this particular thread I am the majority stakeholder, though by no means do I represent all of the CLD holders. I don't think anyone else has posted in this thread yet that has more than a handful of deeds though, besides me.

That doesn't, to me at least, make their opinions less valuable. I like when people have opinions and share them as long as they are willing to entertain thoughts that oppose those opinions, and don't serially and compulsively spout them off every chance they get, like some sort of mantra.

I'd like to see different systems on different planets. At the moment the flow of items from one world to the next feels too open. It's something I fear will create a vanilla experience. The difference between me, a substantial CLD holder, and some folks on this thread is I don't subscribe to the entire fashion that is "Bash MindArk any chance you get." To me that's just silly. I'd like to engage the developers in a dialogue and find out what they think about how the universe is taking shape, and see if we have any common ground we can move forward on. Then of course I'd like to actually move forward with some sort of plan.

I'd like to see different systems on different planets.

I would like to see all planets have access to all systems, but guidelines be in place to prevent direct copies of the implementation of those systems.

I would like to see all planets have access to all systems, but guidelines be in place to prevent direct copies of the implementation of those systems.

That's fair and I wouldn't say no to that.

Sorry but I see conspiracy posts every day here.
Most are complaining about player base expansion no new players.
Ever thought about it new players or maybe new players read urs topics and post's up here like this one.

And still you all wonder why there are not manny new players.
New players that read these post , wont join the game.
You are ruining the game for ur selves.
Geee just quit the game and go play zelda or something.
But what ever u do dont come to eve online.

Just my 2 pecs

Sorry but I see conspiracy posts every day here.
Most are complaining about player base expansion no new players.
Ever thought about it new players or maybe new players read urs topics and post's up here like this one.

And still you all wonder why there are not manny new players.
New players that read these post , wont join the game.
You are ruining the game for ur selves.
Geee just quit the game and go play zelda or something.
But what ever u do dont come to eve online.

Just my 2 pecs

Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The worst thing this game has going for it isnt the RCE. It's the forum community.

Not to say that all members of the forum community are bad. But the forum community when taken as a generalized whole is not a positive thing for this product. It's a whole mess of bad advertising.

+rep

Back