How do you go faster in space with quad (L)

RickEngland

Elite
Society
Jurai Blood
Rickard Rick England
I got shot down coming come from Ark yesterday. Gz to "chaser" for kill, but no loot, sorry I don't carry stacks EVER.

Anyway the point of post is to understand how he gained speed on me. I see a red triangle behind me, so I clicked rear view and watched him swooping his quad side to side. he had L quad so I'm thinking, there is no way he can catch me.

I was told that moving your quad slows you down. I left my Quad (L) heading straight at full speed yet he still caught up with me and got shots on me...how can that happen?

Teach Rick how to fly in space. What was I doing wrong?

I had my kismet on me, turned to shoot back, but he got me before I had a chance to put up a fight.

Looking forward to any space flight advice.

Rick.

edit: Had a further thought on this, does pilot skill enable you to go faster? anyone notice that with good pilot skills?

Last edited:
I think you had minilags. I can sometimes see it on avatars when they are running they sometimes stop walk back a little and continue running again. Maybe its same with vehicles. Had any problems with connection lately ? It might help if you wait a while for area to be loaded and then start flying.

I have been wondering about this a bit too, if the ships have the same speed, it should be very hard for the follower to catch up. The only way it could be done is if the first ship keep changing track back and forth and the follower keeps his track. At the same time, if the first ship change heading and the follower don't see that, and also directly change the heading, the distance should grow?:scratch2:

Lagg and internet connection plays a huge factor with vehicles. It's probably your internet connection if you didn't have any in-game lag (fps). Also I think depending on how you fly in space. If you go to far up or to far down. You will fly slower. (This is only a theory though). Try to fly straight without moving to much up/down on the coordinates.

Lagg and internet connection plays a huge factor with vehicles. It's probably your internet connection if you didn't have any in-game lag (fps). Also I think depending on how you fly in space. If you go to far up or to far down. You will fly slower. (This is only a theory though). Try to fly straight without moving to much up/down on the coordinates.

But do lagg realy effect the speed? Isn't the "movement" of the vehicles executed by the gameserver, so even if your connection lagg, it's only effect when you change your heading and such?

But do lagg realy effect the speed? Isn't the "movement" of the vehicles executed by the gameserver, so even if your connection lagg, it's only effect when you change your heading and such?

With lag, you see things slower. Meaning you have less chance to react the vehicle that is coming to attack you. Most of the noticeable things with internet lag. Is that the vehicle your looking at seems to be going faster. But actually its you that is lagging so you take longer to move. Many times when I have lag, My quad will move for 1 sec, then have a little stop, then move for 1 sec and stop and so on. When I press to go to right or left, it takes a bit longer for it to move. Instead of instantly when I have no lag.

I can confirm I was flying dead straight (not at an angle incline), had zero lag, and running off optic broadband network. In fact when I see the red triangle other than clicking the scroll button to view in reverse, I lifted my hand off the mouse and just watched as he gained on me.

got to be pilot skill, only explaination I can come up with, unless others know more.

It is interesting though, if it is no longer possible to out run a pirate, maybe a space update from MA????

edit: Had a further thought on this, does pilot skill enable you to go faster? anyone notice that with good pilot skills?

Pilot skills do not allow you to fly faster in a quad. Or if they do, it's not significant enough for me to have noticed.

I got shot down coming come from Ark yesterday. Gz to "chaser" for kill, but no loot, sorry I don't carry stacks EVER.

Anyway the point of post is to understand how he gained speed on me. I see a red triangle behind me, so I clicked rear view and watched him swooping his quad side to side. he had L quad so I'm thinking, there is no way he can catch me.

I was told that moving your quad slows you down. I left my Quad (L) heading straight at full speed yet he still caught up with me and got shots on me...how can that happen?

Teach Rick how to fly in space. What was I doing wrong?

I had my kismet on me, turned to shoot back, but he got me before I had a chance to put up a fight.

Looking forward to any space flight advice.

Rick.

Rick is right, I have had pirates chase me and do some sort of "zig zag" manoeuvre to gain on me, its not lag!

yes , he is faster ( i travel whitout team , so i cant use team targeting to have proof how much faster he is...)
and he is now RUDE , was Fair when he waste his amo on my yesterday night:silly2:

just happy to give this pirate proper TAG

There is a teqnique where you rotate and fly at the same time to fly faster, similar to what you could do with a gungnir. I would consider this cheating and you should report it to MA.

one of two things

lag

or he flew towards YOUR target, not at you, at an angle, thus bringing him closer to you quicker. hard to describe this one without a picture... but you said you were going exactly straight so maybe not.

oh maybe there is some technique, after reading other posts... nevermind ;)

If, when you see a pirate, you just keep flying in a straight line, the pirate can close the gap by flying towards an interception point (or several) along your projeted path.

Just think Pythagoras and right-angled triangles to see how a pirate can close in on you. You can take a 1:1:1.41 triangle, or a 3,4,5 side-length triangle as easy examples.

If, however, when you see a pirate, you steer so he is directly behind you and then fly directly straight, he should not be able to gain on you if his speed is exactly the same as yours. You have not said whether this was the case for you or not!

I would indeed be interested to know if the connection makes some (L) quads faster than others in practise, or if there are faster 'technigues' than just flying straight! First, however, we need to clarify if you were 'interceptable' or not (flying in the exact same direction = no intercept path, while flying almost directly away = minimal decrease in separation before separation should stabilise)

ahaha some suggestions in here really make me laugh..!!

*looks at hijacker and solo xD

You mean the guy on the L quad was faster than even you're on the UL one?

Yes , he was
but,difference is 10sec in 1AU distance standart

happens many time to me L quads have same or slightly faster speed than me

and when i did max slow down test my UL quad flyed slower than Vtol mk3
seems all is DyNaMic

Same thing happened to me today as well. Couldn't figure out how the attacker gained on me so fast. I chalked it up to Internet Latency as I remember having races when the Valkyries first came out and a SOC m8 over in Asia somewhere would beat me on both take-off and top speed... in fact.... there was NO WAY I could even begin to keep up with him... he would drive off my radar very quickly. That was the FIRST day that Rocktropia was giving the cars out as prizes.

Menace

Do we explain how to intercept a target or just keep reading the theories :silly2:

... so I clicked rear view and watched him swooping his quad side to side.
That part sounds interesting. If this movement doesn't give you any advantage, why did he bother with it in the 1st place?

Some game engines make movement along a diagonal of the server grid slightly faster than exactly parallel to it, could it be something similar here? :scratch2:

Not sure there is any "server grid" in CryEngine2, it might use polar coordinates instead. Although there's "server cubes" in Space.

Anyway, it has to be tested in practice, we will never find it out on the forum. :)

There is a technique that some pirates use to fly a tiny bit faster. It involves flying side to side. But it does not allow them to fly as fast as what T79x was seeing... I expect there is some other bug or exploit involved in that.

The magic number seems to be around .14 au. If the pirate is farther behind than that, they'll give up quickly and you won't be able to pirate-train them away to another system. If it's less than that, you can tease them with little catch-ups now and then to keep them excited and drooling on their keyboards as they follow you all the way across space. If they're less than .12 au, you stand the chance of being caught by the lag when you cross a border. Of course, you should only allow a camper to follow you when you have no loot.

Also, do fly on minimal graphics settings and you'll have less lag slowdowns. Don't watch Youtube, etc. And don't necessarily fly directly away from a pirate. Keep an eye on your z axis... they sometimes try to make you fly to the edge of space where you get stuck.

Just fly forward and strafe turning the ship on the side... It's not rocket science... but almost I guess :)

Just fly forward and strafe turning the ship on the side... It's not rocket science... but almost I guess :)

Okey, maybe that the case, "strafe movment" are not counted against the speed, so you can strafe sideways, but still move forward at the same speed as you would have done without the strafing? So the total movment is forward speed + sideways change. So i should use the same tacting when i have a pirate in my ass in that case i guess.

Yeah, there is a way to fly faster, and it's nothing too complicated like the theories described above. Anybody familiar with hardcore FPS techniques can figure it out quickly enough (took me less than 10 flights).

The only downside is that you have to be sitting at the computer to do it right, but other than that it's very nice to see those pirate idiots get farther and farther away as you go, so you can simply do it while leaving the Space Station, then after you know you're clear leave it flying normally and go afk if you want to. The difference in speed is considerable, I would guess something along the lines of an extra 25% at least.

I'm really, really tempted to just give away how to do it, just to piss off a few certain obnoxious people, but I'm afraid it would do more harm than good.

Just fly forward and strafe turning the ship on the side... It's not rocket science... but almost I guess
smile.png

Not really, you can't strafe sideways with quad wings as far as I know.

or he was just simply using his quad hax0rz edition to kill you.

i think vehicles are just designed poorly IMO,

a while back i was driving along a road in my valk mk1 and i caught up to a guy in a valk mk3 and i was able to drive faster then him, the guy was completely bewildered by this lol he figured it imposable for me to catch up to him in his mk3 when he was going his top speed the whole time.

this is working with plain running at a planet also.

pushing W and A running forward and left is slower than

pushing W and D running forward and right.

distance testes was 13,5 seconds to 12,1

so they move right to get closer to you, then go left to get behing you again and then right again to catch up etc.

make the test on planet you recognize it while running that your avi runs faster to the upright.

who want to try this flying behing me send me a pm =)

This isnt just flying a little faster this is going double speed.

I had a guy on my tail today that was off my screen while he had team target on him (>0.20au).

Out of nowhere this guy appears and catches up on me quickly. Before I know it he's at 0.09 au away from me while i was fluing in a straight line with no lag whatsoever.

Sadly I didnt fraps this from the beginnig but you can see this guy is gaining on me bigtime while I'm flying straight.

This guy is exploiting the **** out of it for sure.

he said overclocking his CPU does that together with his buddy from the same soc.

I call it exploiting the RCE aspect of EU and wish him a ban for life:

http://youtu.be/clBMhhuhgRs

Seems to me that you would have to use a third party program, such as SetSpeed to speed up the system's display time, and not just overclock the CPU. Definitely cheating.

This guy is exploiting the **** out of it for sure.
Quite a strange guy, was keep killing me today no matter that I had no stackables. On the question what the point in wasting ammo on empty unarmed quad answered that he likes to kill me. I gave up and tp'ed back to the planet :)

LMAO Neil "mouth" stockton

There is a technique that some pirates use to fly a tiny bit faster. It involves flying side to side. But it does not allow them to fly as fast as what T79x was seeing... I expect there is some other bug or exploit involved in that.

^^^ LMAO This guy cracks me up every time I read one of his posts. Chasser is a friend of mine and I'd love to see you try and take him on one of your "pirate-train" fishing trips. He would smoke you pretty quick.

The magic number seems to be around .14 au. If the pirate is farther behind than that, they'll give up quickly and you won't be able to pirate-train them away to another system. If it's less than that, you can tease them with little catch-ups now and then to keep them excited and drooling on their keyboards as they follow you all the way across space. If they're less than .12 au, you stand the chance of being caught by the lag when you cross a border. Of course, you should only allow a camper to follow you when you have no loot.

^^ I honestly would like to know the names of the pirates that you've been leading around space because I call bs on this one. You log out the minute you see one.

Also, do fly on minimal graphics settings and you'll have less lag slowdowns. Don't watch Youtube, etc. And don't necessarily fly directly away from a pirate. Keep an eye on your z axis... they sometimes try to make you fly to the edge of space where you get stuck.

^^ This will not help you go faster I promise. You have been corrected noob keep fishing.

Back