Router issue DC around 10 mins everytime

Butch C

Deactivated Account
Hi, i have a Belkin router and it works fine i hardly dissconnect but recently i tried using a much newer router i bought when my good router died on me and i had to send it away to get fixed, it is a Belkin also and works great for everything but you guessed it "EU".

I know i can just use the router that works fine but i want to try and solve why my second router doesnt seem to like EU.

Basically i log in and everythings fine then around 10 mins i lose connection with the game, everything else works no worries just EU has issues so does anyone have any idea what that could be and what setting i may need to tweak to sort it out? as i would ideally like to switch to the newer router and have the old one as the backup.

oh and im wired into it so not a wireless issue.

cheers
Butch

"everything else works"

Is this 100% verified, that it is not a problem between the router (or your computer) and the internet, but only between your computer and MA's servers?

As it occurs with such high frequency, it could be quite easy to simply run "ping -t 8.8.8.8" around the time these drop-outs happen, to be 100% certain.

Do you have some kind of connection that requires (even if automagically) login, or run PPPoE? If so, I have seen suggestions it could be a config problem where the heartbeats intended to reach the router from the provider-side (to see if the end-user equipment is still connected) instead are routed to a connected computer on the LAN. This can be called many different things, like "Virtual Host", "Virtual Server", "DMZ", "<whatever> Forwarding", ...

++luck;

Don't use wireless

SupportFAQ said:
If you have a router, make sure the router configuration has Ports 20,21, 30584 and 30583 forwarded to your computer.

Just in case you've forgotten to do this (like I did once :ahh:)

"everything else works"

Is this 100% verified, that it is not a problem between the router (or your computer) and the internet, but only between your computer and MA's servers?

As it occurs with such high frequency, it could be quite easy to simply run "ping -t 8.8.8.8" around the time these drop-outs happen, to be 100% certain.

Do you have some kind of connection that requires (even if automagically) login, or run PPPoE? If so, I have seen suggestions it could be a config problem where the heartbeats intended to reach the router from the provider-side (to see if the end-user equipment is still connected) instead are routed to a connected computer on the LAN. This can be called many different things, like "Virtual Host", "Virtual Server", "DMZ", "<whatever> Forwarding", ...

++luck;

yes tried with and without the port forwading EU suggests, DMZ isn't enabled and when i do try with it enabled i can't even get passed the TOU aggreement screen.

So l will log in now and try this ping thing see if anything appears but i have played second life and been browsing fine many times when EU dissconnects so as far as 100% fine all i can say is i have been using second life, BF3 and browsing sometimes and only EU has this regular dropout.

thanks for suggestions, see what the ping thing has to say.

tried ping -t 8.8.8.8

basically did nothing

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=55

to

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=55

consistantly that reply from 2 mins before, during and 1 minute after.

So not sure what that means :)

Anyway it's still discconecting but thanks for the input

Give this a burl it may be a DSL provider issue.
Ping thru this thing and compare.
Best server I've found is LA from OZ
http://proxpn.com/

BTW have you run the EU repair tool to check for errors?

tried ping -t 8.8.8.8

basically did nothing

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=55

to

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=55

consistantly that reply from 2 mins before, during and 1 minute after.

So not sure what that means :)

Anyway it's still discconecting but thanks for the input

Pinging one of googles name servers is what, electronic snake oil?

The ping can't detect anything, ping is a connectionless protocol,
the router log would give more accurate info on disconnects/loss of sync.

Butch, do you know how to set up static port forwardings?
Try that, or (at least for testing) set up a DMZ for your computer.

The disconnects look like a timeout, some routers have problem with long term UDP data exchange.

Give this a burl it may be a DSL provider issue.
Ping thru this thing and compare.
Best server I've found is LA from OZ
http://proxpn.com/

BTW have you run the EU repair tool to check for errors?

Well EU runs fine on the other router so don't think the repair would do anything but i did it anyway to rule it out :)

dont think i need the proxpn program, not sure how that may fix the router issues as i said i have another router that works fine with EU so that should count out DSL provider issues and narrow it down to this particular router, if i cant solve it in the next few days i'll just put it in the cupboard only to be used as a backup in case the one that works dies on me.

So, to recap, the game works fine, the net works fine, Computer works fine, Sun is shining, everythign works fine on my other belkin router.

The problem is with this other router which only disconnects playing EU, cheers :)

Pinging one of googles name servers is what, electronic snake oil?

The ping can't detect anything, ping is a connectionless protocol,
the router log would give more accurate info on disconnects/loss of sync.

Butch, do you know how to set up static port forwardings?
Try that, or (at least for testing) set up a DMZ for your computer.

The disconnects look like a timeout, some routers have problem with long term UDP data exchange.

I dont know about pings i just try the suggestions :)

If static port forwadings means forward the EU ports to my pc that plays EU then yes tried it.
(if you meant set each pc up with its own ip yes tried that also)

When i enable DMZ on the router i cant even get passed the TOU screen, it never loads the text or the ok button just sits there with a blank look on it's face like me :) as soon as i disable it then it works fine again and lets me login to EU for 5 to 10 minutes then DC.

I think maybe i'll just give up on it and go back to the router that works.

thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I don't know much about PC but the Belkin I had did have the same problem. I believe the modem thinks it is being DDoS'd whenever you have heavy usage of internet. There is a setting in the Belkin user control panel that limits the number of connections. Move that number up and it fixes it.

Thats what I remember anyway.. don't stab me if it doesn't exist

I don't know much about PC but the Belkin I had did have the same problem. I believe the modem thinks it is being DDoS'd whenever you have heavy usage of internet. There is a setting in the Belkin user control panel that limits the number of connections. Move that number up and it fixes it.

Thats what I remember anyway.. don't stab me if it doesn't exist

yeah it doesnt exist :) lucky you already said dont stab me though, cheers Ratez

I have switched back to the working router for now so the old man can use the web without me trying all sorts of crap :)

thanks for the advice will try again another day.

Just in case you've forgotten to do this (like I did once :ahh:)

No need to forward those ports. There's nothing listening at port 20 and 21 anyway so..

Hi, i have a Belkin router and it works fine i hardly dissconnect but recently i tried using a much newer router i bought when my good router died on me and i had to send it away to get fixed, it is a Belkin also and works great for everything but you guessed it "EU".

I know i can just use the router that works fine but i want to try and solve why my second router doesnt seem to like EU.

What I don't see is the model numbers of the routers?

im pretty certain that this is the port forwarding not setup correctly. i recall the same issue and it was one of the ports hadnt been opened. check the support page, there is different inbound and outbound ports, and its UDP not TCP.

Well EU runs fine on the other router so don't think the repair would do anything but i did it anyway to rule it out :)

dont think i need the proxpn program, not sure how that may fix the router issues as i said i have another router that works fine with EU so that should count out DSL provider issues and narrow it down to this particular router, if i cant solve it in the next few days i'll just put it in the cupboard only to be used as a backup in case the one that works dies on me.

So, to recap, the game works fine, the net works fine, Computer works fine, Sun is shining, everythign works fine on my other belkin router.

The problem is with this other router which only disconnects playing EU, cheers :)

Cheers mate, and btw my Belkin Mimo rocks but I reckon yours is Balkin and Barkin or a bit too ancient like this fella:)

Seriously guys, no ports are needed to be forwarded at all. How would you solve that if you had more then one computer running EU on the same network? Yeah, exactly. I haven't forwarded any ports at all, I have 2 computers running EU.

Seriously guys, no ports are needed to be forwarded at all. How would you solve that if you had more then one computer running EU on the same network? Yeah, exactly. I haven't forwarded any ports at all, I have 2 computers running EU.

ports opened then, if you prefer that terminology. if you have a firewall on your router, and its operating deny all as default, you will need to open/forward the specific ports. mine, along with many, will default open FTP, ssh, 80, 443 outbound and nothing else. so for EU to work i need to open 4 ports, 2 outbound and 2 inbound. if FTP hasnt been enabled you do need this for the updates i believe. port forwarding isnt necessarily to one specified IP, typically it will be to the private network range on the internal side.

Agreed not an issue this end either, I suspect age of router and some quirk or kinky stuff with Butch ;)

Does your modem have a built-in modem ? If so:
SupportFAQ said:
4. Open these ports in your firewall:

20, 21 (TCP Outbound) - Additional TCP Port outbound for passive mode FTP
80 (Outbound)
30584 (UDP inbound/outbound)
30583 (TCP Outbound)
554 (TCP Inbound)

No need to forward those ports. There's nothing listening at port 20 and 21 anyway so..

they're the ports usually associated with ftp servers and do not need to be set for ftp clients. They're the destination ports not the source.

Port 443 is for https and is a servers incoming port, a standard pc will use any of the free ports on the system usually above 30,000. You only need port forwarding if you're running a web server.

I have to agree with e-lite.

If you've got a good nat router then port forwarding is unnecessary same goes for DMZ which bypasses all the firewall settings on your router which means all the people / viruses scanning ip addresses go straight to your machine.

I use a DMZ at work routed to an internal proxy firewall through an isolated perimeter network (only because I have to support an active / passive ftp server and vpn). You should see the volume of traffic from China, Korea, Russia and the USA trying to get into my network (although it's Google webcrawler as well sometimes) and they're the ones I can be bothered to check their source.

I've resorted to locking accounts down to specific ip's, auto bans and blocking entire ip ranges because of the dictionary attacks being performed on my ftp server.

they're the ports usually associated with ftp servers and do not need to be set for ftp clients. They're the destination ports not the source.

Port 443 is for https and is a servers incoming port, a standard pc will use any of the free ports on the system usually above 30,000. You only need port forwarding if you're running a web server.

I have to agree with e-lite.

If you've got a good nat router then port forwarding is unnecessary same goes for DMZ which bypasses all the firewall settings on your router which means all the people / viruses scanning ip addresses go straight to your machine.

I use a DMZ at work routed to an internal proxy firewall through an isolated perimeter network (only because I have to support an active / passive ftp server and vpn). You should see the volume of traffic from China, Korea, Russia and the USA trying to get into my network (although it's Google webcrawler as well sometimes) and they're the ones I can be bothered to check their source.

I've resorted to locking accounts down to specific ip's, auto bans and blocking entire ip ranges because of the dictionary attacks being performed on my ftp server.
No derision intended can I sign up for a tutorial ?

No derision intended can I sign up for a tutorial ?

None taken. tbh most of this can be picked up off the net by looking at networking tutorials for business networks. As I use MS ISA Server I got a lot of information from

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/configuration_general/

a good example for allowing a port out is

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/How_to_Allow_Internet_Access_on_ISA_Server_Machine.html

as it shows the use of a dynamic local port to the remote one on the server.

although meant for ISA Server it's examples can apply to NAT devices as ISA Server is a NAT software router.

I've yet to see a standard nat router have any blocking rules on outgoing ports other than to stop bios network calls.

Ports can have a destination and a source just like an IP address. Destinations are fixed as they are meant to connect to software / services otherwise they'll never connect, in this case ftp which uses ports 20,21 to manage connections. Passive FTP also uses additional ports initiated by the client (and why it's recommended when going through NAT devices) when given them by the server.

Source ports are usually random and to stop software from conflicting as two pieces of software cannot use the same port. If all browsers used port 80 to send traffic, if you opened Chrome and IE at the same time which traffic goes to which? The handling server has the software to seperate the incoming packets by source and handle them.

Get hold of Microsoft Network Monitor and open a browser, you should see that all your webtraffic never touches port 80 or 443 locally, only at the destination.

As the OP found the original router worked and the new one didn't for EU. This can just be the firmware of the router not being able to handle certain network packets and crapping out. I've always used business class routers over the cheaper home models (although they are catching up) and even those mention fixes for fragmented packets from game servers.

The only other thing that could affect EU is if the router doesn't handle packet sizes very well. I had an old one that couldn't use packets at 1500 bytes (windows default) and would fragment them causing crap connections with the odd session where web would work perfectly. Dropping my machines network packet size to 1400 made my speed massively improve or telling the router to have smaller mtu (max transmission unit) but this was just down to the router firmware. My newer routers handle mtu themselves and don't need the adjustment.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

Do you connect directly with your router to the internet, or do you have a separate modem in the chain too?

Reason why I ask is this:

Some providers will require that the connection be kept alive, and MMORPG activity does not do this automatically. To get around this you must set in your router/modem configuration to keep alive your connection, or after about 10 minutes of activity the connection basically goes to sleep.

If you use a separate modem this may not be an issue for you. But to play it safe, see if there is a setting on your router to keep your connection alive. Google whatever that setting happens to be and make the appropriate choice. What youre looking for is to keep the connection up 24x7. Lose any kind of smart monitoring.

every router has a log function.

can you post the router log please so we see what it does between your pc and the router and if it dial up again and such?

all speculations can lead to a right hit but me want to see first what the machine say.

ty

Back