Router issue DC around 10 mins everytime

Just to add a bit of 'confusion', I had a similar issue, not with EU but with my works laptop causing my routers, both Netgear and Cisco, to drop the line.

Both our iMacs and Macbooks worked with no issues but turn on the Dell D420 and after 10 mins or so, down would go internet access.

Windoze generally recovered, but not every time - when this happened, the Macs would all drop but recover ok.

I changed routers, but same shit still happened, then I had my works lappy replaced with a Dell E6400 (you will notice the bleeding edge technology here!) - hey presto - no more line outs :)

So just a cautionary to say there may be some 'incompatibility' between devices here - shit happens. Just use what works and put the rest down to experience.

....or use a Mac (and BootCamp of course)

I don't know what they are going on about. I have a separate modem and router for my broadband connection.

Anyway, I used to have the same issue as you and after trouble shooting it for a while with no success I bought a new router and my issues went away.

I have an ASUS RT-N16 with Tomato USB running on it and it works great.

Thanks for the input but this thread has kind of gone off track and im getting the same thing repeated then argued abotu then repeated again :)

If i didnt play EU i wouldnt even have a problem, as i can play every single other game i own on both routers
without the slightest issue, therefore i believe it is something related to EU and how it reacts to the newest of my belkin routers.

The log says absolutley nothing as i dont lose internet, just EU dissconnects.

As i said earlier i will just use the router that EU has no issue with and try again down the track.

thanks but dont worry about replying.

cheers

Thanks for the input but this thread has kind of gone off track and im getting the same thing repeated then argued abotu then repeated again :)

I got your request to close the thread. I've removed certain posts, and those involved seem to have stopped. So in hopes of getting your problem solved I'll leave it open a bit longer.

If certain issues continue, or if you are able to fix the problem, (hopefully the latter) please send another request, and we'll close the thread.

Hope everything works out.

The log says absolutley nothing as i dont lose internet, just EU dissconnects.

It sounds like a classic KeepAlive case. My buddy at Sony Online Entertainment used to get this type of thing all the time during the EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies days when he was doing basic support there, and when I purchased a new modem back in the day I would get this alot too and remember to configure this option manually as it does not come on by default. Some providers still use this technology, even though MMORPG's are mainstream now. It's worth looking into.

You wouldnt lose internet connection from this type of situation at all, as a packet out would revive this immediately. The issue isnt in the internet connection itself, but rather in the signature packets that are sent out. There's a specific 54byte start packet that MMORPG's do not send out after their initial connection which providers that use KeepAlive technology look for every few minutes.

There's a specific 54byte start packet that MMORPG's do not send out after their initial connection which providers that use KeepAlive technology look for every few minutes.
You make it sound like this is some kind of secret UDP packet. :)

Link?

Link?

Since everything on the EU boards must be proven, else trolled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive

That should get you started. Feel free to investigate further if you wish. It does exist. I'd whip out my Director of Information Technology business card if that would help. But it probably wouldnt. Folks would still poke and prod. This is the internet.

:rolleyes:

Since everything on the EU boards must be proven, else trolled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive
Ah, OK. So basically what I wrote about in #2 ("heartbeats"/"keep-alive" watchdog packets).
I didn't doubt the correctness of your statement, just I never seen it stated at such a low non-protocol level with octet-size. :)

This made me think... (no jokes please):
IFF this is the problem, the router actually may be in the right to not forward a TCP packet with an empty payload (which it seems that 54 byte packet would be):

From RFC rfc1122, 4.2.3.6 TCP Keep-Alives
"Implementors MAY include "keep-alives" in their TCP
implementations, although this practice is not universally
accepted
. If keep-alives are included, the application MUST
be able to turn them on or off for each TCP connection
, and
they MUST default to off."
(emphasis/bold added)

Assuming the EU client is the "application", it'd be MindArk violating RFC1122. That is, assuming this is indeed the problem Butch C is experiencing.

++luck;

That Sucks hope you got it figured out and it works for good. I had that issue once and the router was HOT as hell, man's solution I ran the wires into the freezer to run the router from their and it worked fine. :dunce:

I didn't doubt the correctness of your statement, just I never seen it stated at such a low non-protocol level with octet-size. :)

This made me think... (no jokes please):
IFF this is the problem, the router actually may be in the right to not forward a TCP packet with an empty payload (which it seems that 54 byte packet would be):

From RFC rfc1122, 4.2.3.6 TCP Keep-Alives
"Implementors MAY include "keep-alives" in their TCP
implementations, although this practice is not universally
accepted
. If keep-alives are included, the application MUST
be able to turn them on or off for each TCP connection
, and
they MUST default to off."
(emphasis/bold added)

Assuming the EU client is the "application", it'd be MindArk violating RFC1122. That is, assuming this is indeed the problem Butch C is experiencing.

++luck;

Most MMORPG's dont actually deal with this. It isnt just a MindArk thing. Asheron's Call, EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies, and Ultima Online I can confirm through personal experience with this problem also do not use this. My particular DSL provider, at the time Pacific Bell (Now AT&T), used KeepAlive by default on their hardware, and it was up to the user to turn it off. That they must default to off would make sense, given that most ISP's do not use this technology. Those that do would have users that experience connectivity issues similar to what Butch is experiencing. I cant confirm it since 2003, as I have been using a different provider since then and that provider does not use KeepAlive on its network.

Im not saying this is the problem. It very well may not be. All I'm saying is it really should be considered and looked at. You never know what an ISP will do in order to preserve bandwidth for customers and attempt to manage its network load.

Anyway I dont think MA is violating anything here. I think at worst its simply an oversight common to many programs due to the infrequency of use of the KeepAlive settings.

You're right though. The payload of the packet is empty. It's akin to the old morse code "start" and "stop" at the end of a message. It's meant to be disregarded and is there purely for system function/monitoring.

Link?

{removed}

First of all... MMORPGs do not send keepalives.
While playing a MMORPG, your connection is used every xx milliseconds.

Then, MMORPGs are using UDP, a connectionless protocol.

The "magic" zero-sized-content TCP packet belongs, obviously, to TCP.
TCP is a connection orientated protocol, used for data exchange where time is not an issue, but realiability of the data is.

This technique is hardly used, and has nothing, NOTHING to do with your router.

Only the last paragraph of the wiki article deals with TCP keepalive though, the rest is about the general technique.

{removed} is PPP keepalive, that is an entirely different thing, and NOT NEEDED as long as your connection is in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i was looking for a "oh flick that and it'll be ok" kind of answer :) all this techo stuff just does my head in.

I think people are missing the fact that i have no issues at all if i use my older Belkin router.

and only 1 issue if i use my newer Belkin router and that 1 issue is EU DC's after 5 to 10 mins.

EVERY OTHER AVENUE OF MY INTERNET DAILY LIFE IS FINE WITH BOTH MODEMS!!!!

It's just EU :) so not really worth all the arguing and stuff to be honest, but thanks anyway.

The put my wires in the refrigerator one kinda made me laugh though so thanks for that :)

If i ever figure it out i'll be sure to say.

goodluck and thanks

Can I offer you a babel fish ?

Seriously mate send me an email and I'll shoot you a .cfg file that may work.
Load it to the router and then change settings to your ISP (I'm anticipating its a DSL modem in one)

Oh on 2nd thunking better email me the model number and specific identifyer on the box...I'll have a geek on portforward and a read 4 u
Cheers

I got the same issue, but no router just a PoE device straight connected to the antenna... anyone allready found a sollution to this?

Was working just perfect until 7 days ago when I changed my pc and took a new provider :S

Ive realised that when Im just standing around in EU and do nothing it doesnt DC, as soon as I even start to chat it breaks up every 7-10 minutes.

Not me mate sorry, i just went to my other router, damn internet :) goodluck with it.

Butch seems to have sussed it.
Close this down b4 other Rabble locate your Dish ;)

Well, here we go a fkin gain :)

I just formatted the pc and re-installed all my stuff and the problem has raised it's head again, no idea what fixed it last time it just seemed to all of a sudden stay connected when i tried the router/modem a few months later, it has been working just fine for the last few months no issues what so ever but now its disconnecting again from EU after 10 minutes or so.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7 Service pack 1 and all the accompanying latest updates.

A fresh install of EU.

The router/modem is Belkin F5D8631-4 v3 and i have no trouble with it what so ever other than EU, let me repeat that for the deaf readers amongst us :) I have no problem with anything but EU dc'ing.

So i am guessing it is something simple, possibly software i have installed or removed which fixed it last time without me realising and would like to actually figure it out for every other future format i do :) Otherwise every format i do i will be necroing this thread :) and we don't want that.

I hardly play EU now so it isn't a massive issue but would be nice to be able to log in longer than 10 minutes when i do.

edit: and i'm wired not wireless

edit2: and no smart arse comment Inno, i see you there :)

Fuck the Belkin shit off, I too had the same shit and it was just that!
Unstable erratic firmware.
Get an Asus DSL12-NU.
Much better Butch:)

everything works though Xaph and i'm not spending any money towards EU :) Worst scenario i can sell stuff in 10 minute increments :) but thanks.

Back