Results from the inactive participants hunting event April 27-29

Status
so, do you have any comment on the discrepency between the 1st prize and the highest single loot value?
Don't come up with UTC/MA time issue as an excuse....

thorkell_wizzie_viking_on_tracker2_601827.jpg

lizzie_perky_borden_on_tracker_677363.jpg

as Infinity shows perky had the highest loot the score board skould be changed... re check logs Kim

Re-check logs
Perky won it, not by much time left, or huge PED different, but he won it.
Revise the logs please

Thanks for the response by Kim.
I am starting to view this differently now.
I think the problem is it just comes off as "let us reward people who don't play" which is a good first reaction.
I see it now as a good avenue for advertisement, expansion, etc. with minimal cost.
It is a regular business practice to hit up former customers (schools hit up alumni, etc)

Once again, more communication, and/or better communication might have helped.

Here is to the future of EU!

Thanks Kim and Thanks to Charles for the moral boost!

One of my oldest and greatest friends in EU has come back as a result of this promotion, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

I can understand the frustration and complaints though. If you didn't already regularly reward returning long-inactive players with massive undeserved HoFs and ATHs then I'm sure there would have been less of that.

+rep for you Oleg!

can't say it with better words.

This relatively minor expense is best viewed as part of our increased marketing efforts. Does it really make a difference in what manner the money was spent? Would you have been happier if we spent the money on banners regardless of how effective it was in bringing in more players?

Isn't the important factor how much we had to pay for each additional active user?

Our strategy isn't solely focused on bringing in new players but also on bringing back old players and after all, everyone benefits if the number of players increase.

/Edit

Maybe I should have been more clear, my point was that everyone benefits if the number of active players increase.

I am indeed surprised by the fact that people can find negativity in such positive actions. I personally consider this a good start to the marketing activity.

I also believe events for the regular hunters/miners/crafters should be part of the marketing plan but i am sure u guys are already aware of that fact.

All in all :thumbup:

People who have gotten their big hof(s) probably won't mind.

The many other people who have grinded for years and not gotten a big loot or it has been over 5 years (cough) might mind that people that haven't played for a while get a chance to win 20000 (or 7500 or 2500) ped for killing small mobs for 3 days. 3 days. And many of those people are your regular depositors.

And as Oleg pointed out, this is on top of people coming back from long breaks getting nice hofs as "welcome back, see how good it is? please stay a while", which is obvious to anyone that has watched the game for years.

Still waiting on my HOF after 3 years, still depositing, still active....

I guess if 1000 inactive players took part we now have a total population of 4000 players now!

I have a question. I have a question for more than 5 years since I started playing. How much is "micropayments" in USD?

BTW I won't take "dynamic" for an answer.

holy @#$^ 20,000 ped to the winner....wow MA wow

This relatively minor expense is best viewed as part of our increased marketing efforts. Does it really make a difference in what manner the money was spent? Would you have been happier if we spent the money on banners regardless of how effective it was in bringing in more players?

Isn't the important factor how much we had to pay for each additional active user?

Our strategy isn't solely focused on bringing in new players but also on bringing back old players and after all, everyone benefits if the number of players increase.

/Edit

Maybe I should have been more clear, my point was that everyone benefits if the number of active players increase.

So you say ( the number of active players increase ). Then please tell me how much players was here 2006 and how many is there to day.

holy @#$^ 20,000 ped to the winner....wow MA wow

A lil bit of correction there:

1st Place - $2000 Alienware Gift Card: Thorkell Wizze Viking- actually should get 2nd prize
nd Place - $750 Alienware Gift Card: Lizzie PERKy Borden - should be the real 1st prize winner

so, do you have any comment on the discrepency between the 1st prize and the highest single loot value?
Don't come up with UTC/MA time issue as an excuse....

thorkell_wizzie_viking_on_tracker2_601827.jpg

lizzie_perky_borden_on_tracker_677363.jpg

The real winner (Lizzie PERKy Borden) was a real player in EU (see tracker info above)
and He is still playing the game after the win!

And the fake winner.. did play very little in the past...
and after so called winning he's probably inactive (at least based on tracker)

This is the legacy of MA ..... putting emphasis on wrong target (real players who play for fun vs players who want to make money), and fun for all players (bot event) vs piracy (in space)

Last edited:

/Edit

If I read correctly i can see that the loot is targeted and not random.

If I read correctly i can see that the loot is targeted and not random.

WOW, you've really surprised me...
Since my realization that EU is not gambling, I always thought loot is targeted.. based on certain factors!

And as Oleg pointed out, this is on top of people coming back from long breaks getting nice hofs as "welcome back, see how good it is? please stay a while", which is obvious to anyone that has watched the game for years.

:proof:

More than ever, this quote from WarGames applies:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

:censored:

graz to the winners
i have np with the prizes they get
i have np with the marketing strategy of MA

i would just ask: after 6 years of playing this game with a biggest lot ever of just few hounded ped....when it s supposed i get some good????. Because, it is right to bring back the old players, but also maintain the active ones it s not stupid at all!!!!

Is it so wrong to think if MA and the powers that be actually worked towards re-capturing what worked before, and brought back the fun for every level and profession we wouldn't need to try to drag former players back with a nice promotion geared specifically to them??

Seems to me retention is still the main issue. Getting people here and keeping them are 2 different things. Hell they all quit for quite a spell apparently, what makes you think next week or 3 weeks from now, they won't just return to the "inactive list" if they find nothing has really changed??

Sure we've got a bunch of stuff we never had before. But we also have alot of broken shit. Still no taming, really no story, and no feeling of being explorers trying to tame a harsh strange world. Events are tossed out once in awhile like an after thought. Just very little atmosphere.

For all it's improvements, alot was lost in the transition imo. Some of it key. Sadly so far nobody seems to be able to find a way to get back to that feeling. :(

So... after most here have been harping on about how MindArk never does any effective marketing, MindArk listens and creates a promotion to increase the playerbase and nearly everyone here is up in arms and condemning it?

If I read most of the responses here correctly, it sounds like a promotion that gets 1000 players to return to the game at relatively little cost is a very, very bad thing.

Don't worry, after they read the angry responses here, all the new-old players will leave the game again as fast as they can. After all, why stay where you're not wanted?

Loot atm is %$#&*#$ retarded. This needs to be fixed first of all. The other fixes, the re-balancing of missions and placing all the good ores on NDs planet is not really going to make these people stay for good. Feels like I'm getting 60-80% everyday with the only chance to profit by hitting the 100k+ hof. I got to top 10 all time top miner in the last year and I haven't gotten a single good loot, just jackshitttttt. I expect some crazy swings on foma/hell but when I spend 100 amps for a run on planetside and the only thing I get is miserable day after miserable day, while 100k hofs are dangled in front of me like cocaine to a crackhead telling me to go back to hell so I can lose even worse, it seems like everything is just a sick joke.

It's nice that you are trying to get new players, but when you're obviously squeezing old players to reward aths to the new, while changing the formula to make average loot extra shitty so that new bigger than ever aths can be given to a select few, you piss off the other 99.9% of the playerbase who are actively playing. It's no wonder you have trouble keeping active players. And when you pull stunts like this, it is just another slap in the face to the players who aren't as optimistic who are playing right now.

You might have attracted a few old players back, but you just pissed off a whole lot of existing players, ones who are already unhappy. This would normally be a good thing, but when loot distribution is designed to reward a yearly salary to a select few and piss off the other 99.9% this is just a really dumb move, this just fuels the fire for people who are unhappy with their current returns. Re-balancing and returns are awful, seeing eco and skills be made more useless by the day, and loots seemingly being siphoned off to newer avatars, a contest as obvious as this one which favors not the existing players, one which most active players didn't know about, much less be able to participate in, is enraging.

MA, you have trouble keeping active players, because you don't make it a very kind place to stay. You attract inactive players at the cost of pissing off existing players, this is the dumbest strategy ever. Your priority should be making the game better, not getting calypsians to play on RT or alienating currently active players. A strategy with a positive net effect needs to be adopted, not ones with trade-offs involving players already in-game. Sure, try to get more players, but make existing players feel appreciated too! An event designed to make me play more where I'm losing 300 peds an hour for a snowballs chance in hell to loot a red banana is not something that's very appreciated... Damn MA, I've held out bitching for 5 years, but sometimes you do some stupid stuff. Please focus on making the game consistently fun, loot-wise and game-play-wise. Having to go through months or years to get a decent loot is too testing, especially when all the other days are so miserable. And please improve your quality assurance. Some of the bugs I see, make the game look extremely unprofessional. When I encounter a game breaking bug in the first 3 minutes after logging in, it makes me think how the hell did this VU get passed? Once is enough, but when every VU seems to have a huge problem lately, that is just inexcusable. C'mon MA, get your act together, I'm rooting for you, but sometimes you make it difficult to do so.

Ya if you go look at everything first secongd and third Prize are all Fubar in this

I should actually be in third place and 1st and 2nd should be switched

If you check tracker I had a Daikiba global for 103 ped on Apr 29th at 02:31

My avatar name in Cunning Cunning Linguist.

So you say ( the number of active players increase ). Then please tell me how much players was here 2006 and how many is there to day.

I do agree. My guesses are that there are about 3000 players online at anyone time. The fact that this is secret indicates they don't want to reveal the true player base size to protect the economy.
I remember the old days playing Second Life (Yes is I did have penis HUD attachments LOL) and the client loader had 13000-25000 players online at most times.

All the discussions in the forum based on estimates suggest an economy based on 3000 players. Now if the CLDs give a weekly return of say 50cents each x 60000, $30000 which is 25% of income, so they get from Calypso $120000 per week. Assuming 2000 of the 3000 players are on Calypso that only requires a deposit of $60 per player. I know I deposit way more than that and I know some who deposit $1000s per week. So I do wonder if we have one of the best micro-virtual economies based on the deposits of a small number of people world wide?

After looking up tracker at people not playing then playing and killing event mob, it's hard to no think it was rigged or there was a bug.

Last edited:
I do agree. My guesses are that there are about 3000 players online at anyone time. The fact that this is secret indicates they don't want to reveal the true player base size to protect the economy.
I remember the old days playing Second Life (Yes is I did have penis HUD attachments LOL) and the client loader had 13000-25000 players online at most times.

All the discussions in the forum based on estimates suggest an economy based on 3000 players. Now if the CLDs give a weekly return of say 50cents each x 60000, $30000 which is 25% of income, so they get from Calypso $120000 per week. Assuming 2000 of the 3000 players are on Calypso that only requires a deposit of $60 per player. I know I deposit way more than that and I know some who deposit $1000s per week. So I do wonder if we have one of the best micro-virtual economies based on the deposits of a small number of people world wide?

Well,, I will depo to so long the missions give some attributes (4 more months)then i will stop to do it.

Sorry for off-topic but damnit...

And JC... Do u even play still? serious question, cause ur tracker shows NO activity(As in NEVER)... so maybe another bias there? My point being it's easy when ur not losing tons to say it's all good.

Um, are you looking at the right name on ET? Since 2006, I've logged in 5 days/week (sometimes 7) and yes, play usually spending around 500-600 peds a day in decay. Currently I'm spitting at small molisk, trying to finish the mission. They don't tend to global too often, y'know.

Oh, and then there's my wife who also plays (her own ava, not mine.)

Oh, guess you missed the thread where I posted my last year of activity.

What, is $50/day not enough for you? Yes I know you spend in a week as much as I spend in a year. Wish I could. Got too much life and not enough to deposit.

(And bringing this on topic...)

But I guess in your view of things, that makes me unfit to hold an opinion about things around here, eh?

Wow... PRIVATE event for returning players, and MA even dare to brag about it?

Nice going folks... how about FIXING THE DAMN LOOT MESSAGES for people who played and did not got a damn ALIENWARE system (i'm referring to the fact that after VU 12.5.5 the loot window or the new loot messages are not rendered on my PC with an older video card).

Fix the damn system bugs and leave the inactive players alone, or you'll have a lot of emails to send in the future.

Want more active players? Then dont' ask for a virtual gun usable for 2-3 days more than a real one cost in RL lasting you a lifetime.

Want more active players? Then dont' ask for a virtual gun usable for 2-3 days more than a real one cost in RL lasting you a lifetime.

That captured the essence of the problem we are dealing with.... and the reason for poor retention!
Until and unless MA addresses this real issue....nothing is going to work!

eu_in_google_trend.jpg

The pic above is from google trend regarding EU's search and news volume index.

There is definitely a nice bump after the introduction of the new application integrating EU with facebook...
Hopefully this will bring in new players...

Personally I won't mind if MA uses the peds gained from bad loot return since Jan for better return during the upcoming months when more and more new players are expected to join EU.

I just hope MA won't use the peds by giving a few select avatars uber loots at the cost of the majority of players.

Short term stunt wont' work in a game with real cash economy which depends on slow and longer term avatar skills/development goals.

Last edited:
No, you dont' have to?

But i've asked you coz you and nighthawk tend to support and justify everything MA does! So, I was just curious!

You know - all I said on this was congratulate the winners. Something that I think was their due.

I am not going to be drawn into any of the arguments in this thread, and if you want to discuss if I have a bias for MA, you are welcome to start a thread on that in Off Topic subforum.

do not forget to neg Bertha Bot after reading!

bump for fixing the prices the top 3 list is still wrong now with 2 entrys

Lizzie PERKy Borden is the correct winner!

How could you place someone who came a clear second - first and not even realize, unless it was already pre-scripted that this avatar "would" win

:scratch2:

Gratz to the winners...

See you in a few years on the next inactive player event..

Enjoy our peds:mad:

Status
Back