10 years of RCE, happy birthday

Opti

Old
Osmar Opticron Bourne
Well, 10 years and 1 day ago actually the doors to the Real Cash Economy beta (Commercial Open Trial) opened. To all the nay-sayers, doomsday prophets, whiners and general pessimists i say: We Are Still Here! :wise:;) Here's to another 10 years of RCE, may it grow and prosper :drink:

The mail from 10 years and 1 day ago:

PROJECT ENTROPIA LAUNCHES INTO COMMERCIAL OPEN TRIAL

Gothenburg, Sweden . May 20th, 2002 . Hundreds of thousands of gamers have been
asking for months to test Project Entropia. Their calls have been answered.
The Commercial Open Trial enables them to download the software worldwide.

"The virtual universe of Project Entropia is ever-evolving, so features will
constantly be added and enhanced" says MindArk Managing Director
Jan Welter Timkrans. "But now is the time to let the public in to experience an
amazing product that has been over three years in the making".

Project Entropia is the largest virtual universe ever devised, where millions
of computer users will be able to interact with each other at the same time.
It takes the term .Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. to a whole
new level. This ever-evolving universe offers a world of opportunity for gamers
and non-gamers alike.

If adventure is the name of the game, set out and explore the vast wilderness of
planet Calypso. Encounter the native wildlife, mutants and robots or embark on
an expedition in this lost paradise. If untamed nature has no appeal, the cities
offer immense virtual playgrounds that mimic real life. There are opportunities
to socialize with friends, fall in love, own and decorate a home, become an
entrepreneur, even turn a profit. A profit in real money. Project Entropia
incorporates a unique economic system, which allows users to exchange real life
money into PED (Project Entropia Dollars) for use inside the virtual world and
then back into real currency again. It is much like the process of traveling in
the real world. This sets Project Entropia apart from the competition, as it is
completely free of charge and purchase. There are no monthly costs aside from
the fees charged for local access to the Internet. The software will be
downloadable through the Internet. The start-up costs will be next to nil for
most people. It is really that easy.

MindArk Supervisory Board Chairman Benny Iggland says, "Project Entropia is unlike
any other MMORPG on the market, People have the opportunity to make real money and
become financially successful in a virtual world".

The world of Project Entropia is set to take you on an epic journey far into the
future where you can help shape the creation of an entire civilization, the next
foundation in the mankind quest of prosperity. Take the journey. Experience the
future today. For any additional information, log onto the official
Project Entropia website at http://www.project-entropia.com.

The website where the downloadable Project Entropia Game Client is located,
are at http://www.project-entropia.com/dowload/ftp.asp

Regards

-The Project Entropia Development Team

Wow nice one. Thanks for sharing. Was before I started so totally unaware. MindArk maybe should have had a special event for this?

I think I will depo something and shoot it out in the air.

A very merry congratz, your stamina must be exemplary;)
Did you get a letter from the Queen of Entropia on your :birthday:

Gratz to the players who deposit and support the game development and provide the funding resources for all the globals and HOFs!

Awesome - may the next 10 years make the vision come true :D

10 years.... wow...... should have been some tolken gesture by MindArk but meh....

Gratz to all those troopers whom have lost tens of thousands of US dollars yet STILL continue to deposit in the name of virtual global economy!

Menace

*gz
nice game with cool economy but it l nead a bit more publicity ,atm its more like a secret ;)
make for the 10 th birthday a tv spot to show the whole world EU & get the server lagging again(good for both sides) ;)
take it on .
felix

We Are Still Here! :wise:;)

This part so made me think about this:

Which kinda fits, we have been here for 1/10th of the time they have been at war and we have been fighting the machines all this time :laugh:

Congratulations to Mindark for making Entropia last 10 years (despite players posting on forums that it would die during about 9 of them! ;) ) and outlasting many higher profile competing MMO's over that time.

:birthday:

I think we received the 5 year red beret gift 5 years ago then in 2007?

Big gratz MA :yay:

100s of thousands...
Millions...

:scratch2::scratch2:

Wow. I think congratulations are certainly in order :D Happy to be along, lets see where this all goes in the next 10! :)

10 years.... wow...... should have been some tolken gesture by MindArk but meh....

Gratz to all those troopers whom have lost tens of thousands of US dollars yet STILL continue to deposit in the name of virtual global economy!

Menace

Yay, this will very definitely be me then!
Thanks for your thanks, seemingly more than MA want to give me lol
JaKst3r

Gratz EU & MA.

Let me sum this up:

nobody gives a :censored: , not even MA or whoever is in charge now, Im sure they dont even know it.

:)

nobody gives a :censored: , not even MA or whoever is in charge now, Im sure they dont even know it.

:)

I care about it, and by looking at this thread so do other people....

Really messed up that ma didnt make a big thing of this, i see no reason not to. Its a huge achevement to make it to 10 years and still exsist...

Still, Gratz to eu!

Really messed up that ma didnt make a big thing of this, i see no reason not to. Its a huge achevement to make it to 10 years and still exsist...

Still, Gratz to eu!
So your surprised they didnt maybe try and advertise it with a press release or something in order to get free advertising or something? Hmmmm that would have made sence :scratch2: Maybe they have a different date in mind for 10 years online :dunno:

I think we received the 5 year red beret gift 5 years ago then in 2007?
Nope, I have mine and I think it was vu10 they gave those away unless it was late 2007 but I think it was vu10 sometime or just before :D

Oh and :birthday: Project Entropia

:eyecrazy: it survived those 9years :eyecrazy:

Wow nice one. Thanks for sharing. Was before I started so totally unaware. MindArk maybe should have had a special event for this?

My thoughts exactly :)

~Danimal

Nope, I have mine and I think it was vu10 they gave those away unless it was late 2007 but I think it was vu10 sometime or just before :D

Oh and :birthday: Project Entropia

:eyecrazy: it survived those 9years :eyecrazy:

Since that was the start of the Commercial Open Trial, maybe they'll make a bigger deal of the date when they went gold. Which, I think, is what they consider their offical launch. January 30th, 2003, so maybe in January 2013?
http://www.gamezone.com/news/project_entropia_goes_gold

Yeah I've had a dig:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?98638-Happy-Birthday-Entropia

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...94-First-Wave-Colonist-Beret-new-gift-from-MA

The reason MA haven't made a big thing of it is they have 30 Jan 2013 as their 10th anniversary. Maybe we'll get a different coloured beret next year to celebrate. :)

Back