Help: Shared hidden skills

Foxhound

Young
Darmorel Foxhound Loyalar
Hi.

Im new and I have started skilling shortblades on punys as its the easiest iron mission.
Most recomend ranged weapons first, I decided to go melee tho because of the extea hp and defence skills which will be helpful lster.

My question is, if I do want to change and skill some ranged as well. When would it be a good time to do so efficient wise?

I know there are some unlocks that the both types share? Serendipity etc?

I hope you understand what im trying to figure out :)

Thank you kindly.

Fox,

Let me start off by telling you that I am no uber. I am just lvl 44 sniper. I have only been playing for 2 years. So please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I totally agree with melee NOW. When i started there were no good melee weapons. They all had horrible eco from the TT machine. Now later levels melee was awesome, but starting it was more economical to get opallo.

NOW the TT powerfist from cyrene is more eco than opallo! And other melee weapons from other planets!

Your question was "when should I go to ranged"

I think you should try to get a wooping 100 hp before you move to ranged!

Why not swunt the hole puny mission chain? You can also do some free missions at fort troy if you have transportation. I know one of them rewards 1 ped tt evade (which beats the crap out of anything puny give you)

WHen you move to range.....

my 2 pecs are with BLP! Buy a flamethrower from cyrene and toast you some shinkabas or merp. Do the whole mission chain before the nerf.

BLP has more decay, but there is some serious DPS in BLP. As medium mobs tend to regen (i count ambu and atrox), dps can be a bit better than eco (my opinion ofc).

Nothing is as sexy as a c19+beast when you are a young avatar. I did the whole molisk iron mission with a ULCB19 and Beast and I loved it :)

Anyways .. just my 2 pecs. I added you in the game, so if I can be of service let me know.

Just remember I am also a newb :)

Thank you. :)

The mainquestion was if there is any shared skills that the 2 types share that would be good to unlock before changing type :)
For example. Unlock serendipity before going ranged so when I get that skill with rifkes later I also gain melee lvls :)

I hope I made myself clear....hehe

Good advices by the way.

Foxhound,

Go to www.entropiawiki.com and click on skills. Sort the skill chart by the hidden column twice and all of the unlockable skills will be at the start of the list. You can then see which professions contribute to unlocking that skill.

Hope that answers your question,welcome to EU and good luck!

In answer to your question, Serendipty is the first unlock at lvl 30 that is shared accross many proffessions including melee and ranged combat.

prior to that you have:

Marksmanship (10) for ranged hit and damage
Ranged damage assessement (18) for ranged damage.
Melee damage assessment (18) for melee damage
Martial Arts (20) for melee combat.

In answer to the question you didnt ask, why not use rifle until the mob gets close then switch to melee? Then you get skill both.

In answer to your question, Serendipty is the first unlock at lvl 30 that is shared accross many proffessions including melee and ranged combat.

prior to that you have:

Marksmanship (10) for ranged hit and damage
Ranged damage assessement (18) for ranged damage.
Melee damage assessment (18) for melee damage
Martial Arts (20) for melee combat.

In answer to the question you didnt ask, why not use rifle until the mob gets close then switch to melee? Then you get skill both.

I think that is a good suggestion. But I think it would suite me better to unlock the hiddes ones asap thus skilling one type only to start.

Thank you for the unlocks info :)

Foxhound,

Go to www.entropiawiki.com and click on skills. Sort the skill chart by the hidden column twice and all of the unlockable skills will be at the start of the list. You can then see which professions contribute to unlocking that skill.

Hope that answers your question,welcome to EU and good luck!

Trying to figure this out atm mate :)

For a melee weapon you might want to give the falx a look.
I used it for the puny missions.
Very fast for a longblade.

James

When would it be a good time to do so efficient wise?

Honestly, now. Melee has too many disadvantages. Bad eco (no amps, no ammo so L MU lasts less time), more defence costs, smaller range of viable weapon choices, useless in pvp, etc.

One thing about skilling in general (I learned this way too late):
My english is a little too bad to explain, maybe someone can rephrase this later:

If you have a hidden skill NOT unlocked, you miss a part of the skills you could gain.
Example:
Let's say, you hunt with swords. You would gain these skills:
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Activity&id=71

For a beginner, 4 skills are hidden, so in the case above, you gain 38% (!) less skills then when you unlocked all hidden skills.

At the beginning, the TT gain from skills is low anyway, so that does not hurt you much.
But once you are around level 40, it get's interesting. This is why you shjould better focus on one profession.

If you split your cycled PEDs over years over different professions, you will have a lot less hidden skills unlocked, than if you focus on one profession only. As I said: at the beginning, it doesn't matter, but after roughly 2-3 years, the skilsl you might miss, are worth a bunch of PEDs.

I hope, this helps?

You don't have to wait till later on to start. Grab yourself a cheap opalo from TT and use that to "tag" mobs in so that you can slash them with your shortblade :)

~Danimal

I agree with the above poster, if you want to skill melee, mix it with a ranged tagger, and switch to melee when mob is in close.

I also agree with a lot of what is said here. Unlocks are important, but I think it is far more eco to look at shared unlocks such as Serendipity as something that should be done with ranged. Melee is great for health, especially first starting out. Your regen rate is a percentage of your maximum health rather than a fixed amount. So the more health you have, the more points you naturally heal over time. This should be more of your focus with Melee than unlocks are. The skill to watch is Melee Combat. I think first starting out, if you get more than say about 2K in Melee Combat, you may want to change to more ranged and get the unlocks. After you unlock Serendipity with ranged, go ahead and bring Melee Combat up to around 3K. After 3K the slowdown in skills starts to make it less worth while for the health, unless you just love melee. The other advantage is that the Strength points will allow you to carry more weight. This may not be an issue right now, but as your avatar grows and you go on longer hunts/mining trips or a combination of the two and the amount of loot you carry back grows, that extra weight capacity becomes quite useful.

If you really like the melee right now, shortblades and fist are better choices for punys (stay away from the longblade. Bad eco and overkills by doing too much damage per swing.) and if you don't want to use the tagging method, another option is to get the opalo and convert all your looted ammo into weapon cells and use that to do some ranged. You could use it as a change to break the monotony of the melee if you grow tired of it her and there. However, ranged really should be your focus for unlocks, imo.

I've been here 6 years. I'm more of a Pistoleer (almost level 62) and my melee pro standings are about half of my Pistoleer. I don't consider myself new, but I also know there are others that have been here longer and have more insight than me. If anyone has any input to tweak the above plan, please speak up in order to be helpful. I'm always open to learning something new too. :)

Hugs,
Aliana

PS: The problem with the tag and slash method with punys is that they die in 2 opalo shots (10 health each). If he tagged until they were close he would never get any melee in without switching to a bigger mob.

Last edited:
Actually this used to be the case but was changed to a fixed amount. Avatar-Regeneration

Thank you for pointing that thread out. I actually had never seen it before. I think you might want to take a closer look at it, maybe with a calculator handy. It still seems in debate, unless there's another thread out there that expands upon the information in the one you sited. It may not be the 5% every 20 seconds it was previously. However, if you use the calculator to check the different findings of different avas with a span of health points, you'll see that there is still some quantity of advantage related to healing more points with a higher maximum health. The end of the thread shows a post (page 24, post #238) where another group doing a beacon who started regen from dead at the same time checked the results and found that they all gained full health at the same time. This put into debate if the OP observation was a bug that got repaired. It doesn't seem like there is a decisive conclusion. Have you or maybe anyone else watching this thread found any other information related to if the advice I gave regarding health regen is still accurate or obsolete?

Hugs,
Aliana

Thank you for pointing that thread out. I actually had never seen it before. I think you might want to take a closer look at it, maybe with a calculator handy. It still seems in debate, unless there's another thread out there that expands upon the information in the one you sited. It may not be the 5% every 20 seconds it was previously. However, if you use the calculator to check the different findings of different avas with a span of health points, you'll see that there is still some quantity of advantage related to healing more points with a higher maximum health. The end of the thread shows a post (page 24, post #238) where another group doing a beacon who started regen from dead at the same time checked the results and found that they all gained full health at the same time. This put into debate if the OP observation was a bug that got repaired. It doesn't seem like there is a decisive conclusion. Have you or maybe anyone else watching this thread found any other information related to if the advice I gave regarding health regen is still accurate or obsolete?

huh, good to know. For all we know they might have changed it 100 times since then. It's dynamic :rolleyes:

I went melee for first few years, before switching to rifle. If you want honest advice, I would say park your melee and go rifle. You will be able to take on much harder mobs with rifle, as they will be part dead before they reach you.

Puny mobs were really brought in to address the cost concerns of new starters. If you are brave enough to run a good $10-$20 ammo (100-200 ped in one go) on a hunt you will start to see real rewards. Consider your loot at the end of the run, not part way through and have faith.

On the same basis if you move onto opalo you will start to see better loot then using rookie, it is all about what you are personally ready to accept from input peds point of view. The quicker you learn you need to “spend peds to get peds”, the faster you will progress. Confidence is a key, hence why a lot of newbies hit hofs when they are brave and just go-for-it.

Below is jdegre chip optimiser, the list below is shown from a HP gain point of view.

There is now doubt about it that hunting melee provides 3 of the biggest HP sources: Courage, Melee Combat, Athletics, plus 2 more HP skills dexterity + perception, is great for HP gain. However you will still gain courage and dexterity for using rifle profession + plus HP earned for actually using rifle (see list). Whereas you do not get HP for Longblade or shorblade skills.

Also however you hunt the evade profession gives you, athletics and courage (before any unlocks), so you get most of the HP benefits that melee provide, using rifle (except melee combat and strength).

I don’t see the change to rifle a waste of my first two years, but I do wish I switched sooner (total 7 years level 63). I spent a couple of years of MF too and have I guess very good but flat skills.
As was said before if you can stick to one profession you will steam through the unlocks.

Good luck, hope the HP skill list below helps (bigger the number more HP it gives). Check it out in tools section on forum.

http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php

Rick

I went melee for first few years, before switching to rifle. If you want honest advice, I would say park your melee and go rifle. You will be able to take on much harder mobs with rifle, as they will be part dead before they reach you.

Puny mobs were really brought in to address the cost concerns of new starters. If you are brave enough to run a good $10-$20 ammo (100-200 ped in one go) on a hunt you will start to see real rewards. Consider your loot at the end of the run, not part way through and have faith.

On the same basis if you move onto opalo you will start to see better loot then using rookie, it is all about what you are personally ready to accept from input peds point of view. The quicker you learn you need to “spend peds to get peds”, the faster you will progress. Confidence is a key, hence why a lot of newbies hit hofs when they are brave and just go-for-it.

Below is jdegre chip optimiser, the list below is shown from a HP gain point of view.

There is now doubt about it that hunting melee provides 3 of the biggest HP sources: Courage, Melee Combat, Athletics, plus 2 more HP skills dexterity + perception, is great for HP gain. However you will still gain courage and dexterity for using rifle profession + plus HP earned for actually using rifle (see list). Whereas you do not get HP for Longblade or shorblade skills.

Also however you hunt the evade profession gives you, athletics and courage (before any unlocks), so you get most of the HP benefits that melee provide, using rifle (except melee combat and strength).

I don’t see the change to rifle a waste of my first two years, but I do wish I switched sooner (total 7 years level 63). I spent a couple of years of MF too and have I guess very good but flat skills.
As was said before if you can stick to one profession you will steam through the unlocks.

Good luck, hope the HP skill list below helps (bigger the number more HP it gives). Check it out in tools section on forum.

http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php

Rick

Bigger mobs will certainly give an opportunity for better loot. However, don't underestimate punys. They do give more fragments than other mobs, which still hold better markup than most of today's hunting loot, if you are patient enough to let them add up to thousands. I am also convinced they give more skill due to additional kill bonuses (or something). I've tracked Opalo hunts for LWT. If I shoot small mobs like daik, snable, exa I can get 1 level of LWT for 100 ped of ammo. With punys, that same 100 ped of ammo will get me 3 points of LWT.

This information could make a difference from the perspective of if the hunter is focused on better potential in loot return or focused on building up more skill for the ped expended. Has anyone else tracked skill gains on punys to confirm that they are indeed providing more?

Hugs,
Aliana

Long Story Short...

Choose one profession from melee. Brawler, Swordsman, or knife-fighter (My recommendation is Short blade due to lower mark up of higher DPS Short-blades). You can get some WICKED DPS short-blades later on for next to nothing in MU. Rank it to level 30 ( Serendipity) while drawing (tagging with Rifle), then switch to Pistoleer while drawing with Rifle and rank it to level 30, then switch to Rifle and finish ranking to level 30.... By this time you will know what you like the best. You will gain HP faster, you will unlock Rifle naturally while drawing. Pistols Do Great DPS and seem to be more fun on HUGE mobs so you want to skill those too. Rifle are a MUST for PVP if you ever decide to get involved there.

Choose one profession from melee. Brawler, Swordsman, or knife-fighter (My recommendation is Short blade due to lower mark up of higher DPS Short-blades). .

and then there's whipper... oh wait, a whip is a short 'blade'? Say what? Silly ol Mindark.

Back