Correct weapon for Quad hunting space mobs?

RickEngland

Elite
Society
Jurai Blood
Rickard Rick England
ok so after MA announcement about personal loot today (dev notes 2) basically it's down to us to select the correct weapon for the mob, so I need some help please.

Hunting cosmics with Kismet Light Laser (L) in a Quad gives totally s**t loot, so I'm after a more eco gun to try space mob hunting, see if that improves things.

I bought Heavy Porcupine HMAP-52 (L), my Quad accepted this BLP weapon, however after I buy BLP ammo, my quad does not show any shots. So in other words I guess I can not use this weapon with a Quad even though the quad accepts the weapon.

I tried reboot but nothing seems to help get this weapon up and running with a quad.

That is another annoying thing you dont know which vechicles accept which guns.

From the "dev 1" first post notes, bertha states 3 x loot pools hunting mining and crafting. If it goes deeper than that and its a loot pool per mob, I might as well pack my bags and leave. I do want to hunt Levi all day, becasue everyone else is.

So any help to get some better returns from space mobs with the right weapons very much appreciated. especially since I thought Ma wanted space to be the new fronteer.

What weapons can I attach to a quad please?

thank you

Rick

I bought Heavy Porcupine HMAP-52 (L), my Quad accepted this BLP weapon, however after I buy BLP ammo, my quad does not show any shots. So in other words I guess I can not use this weapon with a Quad even though the quad accepts the weapon.

If I remember correctly, the Porcupine is accessed from the secondary seat in the quad? :dunno:

(never used myself so going by what others have said)

If I remember correctly, the Porcupine is accessed from the secondary seat in the quad? :dunno:

thank you, so Porc weapon works as a passenger ONLY for Quad.

So MA wants us to change weapons and think a bit more with limited choice, and when you do they throw more problems at you.

I assume I cannot choose if my weapon should be attached for use for front or back seats.

It is obviousl doing the wrong thing with Kesmit is constant loses on Cocmics. So I guess space hunting is waste of time, and skilled to 1000+ heavy weapons now.

Thank you Nighthawk, sorry if I sound a bit p***ed, but thoughts of years of depos for nothing, has kind of given me the hump tonight.

Rick

Yeah I wonder if that would work.. switch seats and use the Porcupine.. I have one too.

Yeah I wonder if that would work.. switch seats and use the Porcupine.. I have one too.

Having done it in a VTOL - hunting from passenger seat totally sucks. And you do not get any pilot skills, from what i remember.

Seriously since when did everyone forget about markup? YOu'll always lose TT wise...

Seriously since when did everyone forget about markup? YOu'll always lose TT wise...

ok fair point, anyone for 2 x generic fuses? even so this don't cover by half the costs I think.

On a serious point I would be happy to takes loses to skill to a level that makes space mobs pay...be it 2000 heavy weapons skill maybe 3000 even 4000. But what concerns me is MA developer post. Becasue if there is no personal loot then the system dont remember your losses.

Which means it is a big risk pumping in thousands of dollars training on space mobs, if there is a tiny loot pool on space mobs. It is not clear if there is one hunting pool for "hunting" of if this is divided into mobs.

Not to mention that space hunting is massive risk as lootable PVP. Risk V Reward,,mmmm.

To be honest I really enjoy hunting space mobs, it's great fun, and more should try it. You can store loot at intervals at say CP or elsewhere, pirates I find don't want the agro of coming into training grounds. Not that this is an advertisment for them to do so.

But like I say my experience is it could be costly to skill, using kismet anyhow.

I've come across many friends hunters in space training grounds, even chat to them.

Stop thinking that much about the statement. Many of you believed in a BS theory and did quite ok plus were happy. Nothing has changed expect we do know now that some theories have been wrong. That's about it. Just hunt for the best markup you can with at least cost as possible. Oldest rule of the game and still the only thing you need to know. Seriously. Just stop trying to replace a false theory with another false theory. It's possible to profit w/o thinking about any loot theories.

Stop thinking that much about the statement. Many of you believed in a BS theory and did quite ok plus were happy. Nothing has changed expect we do know now that some theories have been wrong. That's about it. Just hunt for the best markup you can with at least cost as possible. Oldest rule of the game and still the only thing you need to know. Seriously. Just stop trying to replace a false theory with another false theory. It's possible to profit w/o thinking about any loot theories.

I do agree with you Az, just frustrating that hunting what you really want to hunt can be very costly. Anyhow I'm going to login now and try an experiment.

ty for posts

Rick

I do agree with you Az, just frustrating that hunting what you really want to hunt can be very costly. Anyhow I'm going to login now and try an experiment.

ty for posts

Rick

There goes Rick shooting 1k ped ammo into the ground,hehhehehe

.... OR, take along a gunner, and use both weapons in a team. Might make a difference.

You mentioned earlier you were hunting in the training grounds...all I ever found there were cosmic horrors. IMO the only space mobs worth hunting currently are Dropships.

And I have never seen any in the training grounds. This may be why you see no pirates either, if they are not hunting us they are off hunting dropships (and I've seen Nebula Virus teams hunting these beasties).

I've space hunted a fair amount - my ship is now 'good' from hunting alone (3k+ heavy weapons) and CH's loot just fine over time - but so few kills compared to many planetary mobs I've hunted that it is hard to tell. I still consider myself a noob space hunter, but if I execute my hunting tactics effectively to keep defensive costs and missed shots down (not so easy) I think CH are decent mob to hunt now that Quads are cheap.

Tried some of the other, smallish new mobs a bit, but didn't loot anything yet, and they're inconveniently located.

I think the Quad/Kismet is the only sensible option out there for a solo hunter, for the range alone. I've never tried seat hopping for a finisher shot, but that seems a bit obsessive, and anyway, weapons take damage with the ship, so an unused/mounted gun is a waste in hunting or combat.

Dropships are big - I assume they require team or big ship cannons, no? I've not tried them.

:beerchug:
Miles

Dropships are big - I assume they require team or big ship cannons, no? I've not tried them.

You're right - I don't think I'd tackle a dropship alone, we always go after them with a mothership. Maybe a 'young' would be possible though...

Still, I think they are the best of the space mobs.

For now, we all are stuck with the same option (kismet) which is good in alot of ways as well. Evens the playing field some. At least its 10/10. )

As far as dropships, if you are bold enough to try, you will find they can be easily killed while solo in a quad, often with minimal damage, if any, and the ability to stay out longer. Which is a bit disappointing to me, but...to answer the question of the OP....probably the best eco for hunting in space = dropships.

Has anyone tried hunting them with the rocket primary weapon on the VTOL? I tried once and found it quite hard to target the mob, but I am a noob a space combat, so I could've been doing it wrong.

It would be cool if this is a viable option because I have loads of Explosive projectiles in storage that I want to use up.

There goes Rick shooting 1k ped ammo into the ground,hehhehehe

LOL Mayday, you know me too well...I did a similar experiment a few years ago on one regain mob...with interesting results, hee,hee.

I've space hunted a fair amount - my ship is now 'good' from hunting alone (3k+ heavy weapons) .

.... and anyway, weapons take damage with the ship, so an unused/mounted gun is a waste in hunting or combat.

Miles

That is interesting your comment there. I was getting loads of karma points, but my ship stayed at a "fair" rating. Becasue I got no change in rating, I just assumed these rating only worked for unlimited. so maybe need a lot of karma to change rating. My current quad will probably be dead by then, so will need to replace.

I didn't know that decay on weapons only happens from taking hits, I will remove the non-used porc gun then while not being used. thank you for tip.

I've had a good think, and will continue skilling space mobs as and when I can afford too even though at loss (for now). I'm sure somehow this is compensated in other ways from skills earned.

Massive gz on your skilling Miles, I'm impressed.

Rick.

You mentioned earlier you were hunting in the training grounds...all I ever found there were cosmic horrors. IMO the only space mobs worth hunting currently are Dropships.

And I have never seen any in the training grounds. This may be why you see no pirates either, if they are not hunting us they are off hunting dropships (and I've seen Nebula Virus teams hunting these beasties).

Two posts but wanted to mention something else.

What I like about hunting the training grounds, especially Calypso training grounds is when you die or press T you will revive at CP, and there is storage At Crystal Palace. I feel a lot more comfortable dropping off loot to storage every 100 ped or so ammo, then holding all loot in PVP lootable zone.

I went to the graveyard area last night in the middle of space as an experiment on bigger Cosmics, and entered the SS (space Station), and was dissapointed there was no storage, although there was a TT. Well I couldn't find one storage terminal.

Before the space stations were redesigned, I'm sure the first ever space station at calypso had loads of terminals, and even a giant fish tank in the space viewing area.

I really liked that first space station MA built, I was so impressed that I can still remember the place. That said I still find the new space stations impressive, when running in the hanger, the shear size of the place is impressive.

Really looking forward to future development of space, and maybe improved SS design. Imagine running some type of beacons from the SS. So you would have to travel to different space stations to enter certain types of special space beacons. (sod bringing the loot home though).

Rick

That is interesting your comment there. I was getting loads of karma points, but my ship stayed at a "fair" rating. Becasue I got no change in rating, I just assumed these rating only worked for unlimited. so maybe need a lot of karma to change rating. My current quad will probably be dead by then, so will need to replace.

Rick.

My 'good' Quad is almost dead, but I have a 'fair' replacement. :cool:

I was quite surprised when my ship earned the title 'kind' - it had seemed like forever, then 'good' seemed to come much more quickly, but then my early hunting trips were much shorter. As Quad prices fell (and it's the replacement cost that matters) the idea of hunting with one, and using it up, became more palatable. You have to think of your Quad/Kismet(L) as a Weapon/Armor combo. The more efficiently you can use the 'weapon', the lower your cost to kill - up to the point of ammo only. As a reality, there will be combat and damage will come, and that is where the 'armor' half comes in (and where the defensive skill (spaceship captain) comes from, too).

With UL it would be a different matter. I don't think I'd do much else.

Regarding hunting grounds, the convenient ones are all low maturity. Hunting the larger Horror's in the more remote hunting grounds is more rewarding, but it also requires a greater commitment and entails higher risks. Seems about right.

Miles

Has anyone tried hunting them with the rocket primary weapon on the VTOL? I tried once and found it quite hard to target the mob, but I am a noob a space combat, so I could've been doing it wrong.

It would be cool if this is a viable option because I have loads of Explosive projectiles in storage that I want to use up.

Using a rocket weapon would be definitely interesting but if I was in a VTOL I would not piss off anything in space by shooting at it - you'd be swatted like a fly.:dodge: Who knows, maybe a rocket weapon would compensate.

Using a rocket weapon would be definitely interesting but if I was in a VTOL I would not piss off anything in space by shooting at it - you'd be swatted like a fly.:dodge: Who knows, maybe a rocket weapon would compensate.

Small cosmic horrors are pretty much as easy in vtol + rockets as in quad + kismet. The downsides are the ship dies faster and is slower flying back (I have a MK2)

Thank you for tips folks

My space hunting is improving now.

195 Cosmic below, with transformer

Rick

For now, we all are stuck with the same option (kismet) which is good in alot of ways as well. Evens the playing field some. At least its 10/10. )

As far as dropships, if you are bold enough to try, you will find they can be easily killed while solo in a quad, often with minimal damage, if any, and the ability to stay out longer. Which is a bit disappointing to me, but...to answer the question of the OP....probably the best eco for hunting in space = dropships.

Actually they changed the speed on the dropships when they added in pt Cryene. Really annoying as I finally found something in space I liked to hunt. before you could stay out of they're range by backing up while you shot them. Now they are faster and you will be taking damage the whole time. I was able to kill 1 solo before having to repair with nearly no SI left. Repaired and did this again and almost died on the 2nd 1 again. I'd say a team of 4 quads could kill 8 to 10 without having to repair if they hunted smart. keep in mind I have descent skills and have been in space since the first month of release, so if you aren't skilled you won't even be able to drop 1 of them without dyeing. I put in a support case Fighting to get them changed back saying they shouldn't be limited to motherships.

Everyone who wants to continue hunting these in a quad needs to put in a support case asking that they change the speed back. It really isn't fair how they teased us and made them hunt-able for over a month then changed them and took our ability to kill them away. Soon (in the next 2-4 weeks) I will be trying to put a team together to hunt these, 6-8 quads would be preferable and more eco than 4. We have to have an agreement that if anyone attacks a team mate we all blow them away.

ok so after MA announcement about personal loot today (dev notes 2) basically it's down to us to select the correct weapon for the mob, so I need some help please.

Hunting cosmics with Kismet Light Laser (L) in a Quad gives totally s**t loot, so I'm after a more eco gun to try space mob hunting, see if that improves things.

I tried reboot but nothing seems to help get this weapon up and running with a quad.

That is another annoying thing you dont know which vechicles accept which guns.

From the "dev 1" first post notes, bertha states 3 x loot pools hunting mining and crafting. If it goes deeper than that and its a loot pool per mob, I might as well pack my bags and leave. I do want to hunt Levi all day, becasue everyone else is.

So any help to get some better returns from space mobs with the right weapons very much appreciated. especially since I thought Ma wanted space to be the new fronteer.

What weapons can I attach to a quad please?

thank you

Rick

Rick I didn't e whole thread before I posted about the dropships. You can use your porcupine gun if you switch seats(if you have it assigned to 0-9 it makes it easy). I have noticed a lot of overkill using my kismet on cosmics. You could try switching to your porcupine gun as a finisher and see if it suits you better. The range on the porcupine is a lot worse than the kismet though so I don't know if it would be worth it. You'll take the loss on SI witch is important in lootable pvp. I like to hunt the bigger horrors so the overkill isn't as bad. Hope this helps GL bud

Sistem does remember ur lossess, my lossess, everyone else lossess...cut some comissions out of it...and then hand it over to one lucky( random supposed...yeah right) guy.
Tbh this would be perfect as it is...but its not quite 100% true...
Oh and forgot...wth u trolling about dropsips that being most eco? lol
Damn things cost ~15 ped to kill and they drop loot starting with ~2ped...got one hof and 4 globals and yet i was in deep minus :D some ppl should count theyr peds from once in a while, they dont even know whats a loss or win..only counting success in globals and hof`s ..
Ofc i only cycled 3-4k ped ammo on em so i might be wrong......err no, im right...they suck.

Last edited:
My 'good' Quad is almost dead, but I have a 'fair' replacement. :cool:
Does it really work that way? Have always assumed the ship takes it's title ('good' or 'fair' etc) from the pilot?

If the title is attached to the ship rather than the avatar pirates can hire a quad with trustworthy title, take a pilot seat and voila! - go hunt unsuspecting travelers... I sure hope it doesn't work that way, or if it is they should change it.

Does it really work that way? Have always assumed the ship takes it's title ('good' or 'fair' etc) from the pilot?

If the title is attached to the ship rather than the avatar pirates can hire a quad with trustworthy title, take a pilot seat and voila! - go hunt unsuspecting travelers... I sure hope it doesn't work that way, or if it is they should change it.
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...15242-Karma-comes-back-around&highlight=karma

It's both. It starts with the ship. The first kill determines tag of the ship, the subsequent ones strengthen it or send it the other way (although extremeley hard to change back).

Then the pilot / passenger can strengthen the ships base tag. For example jumping in and turning a rude quad notorious, or a fair quad honourable. A pilot can't change the side of the karma, can't make a rude quad good. Only strengthen what it already has

Ps. One of the first rules of space travel is never to trust a tag. Red, blue green - all potential threats . There are many pirates with fair or even honourable quads. The only thing a tag can tell you is the of potential fight or experience of a pilot. For example, chances are a scoundral has had alot more experience than a rude, therefore poses more of a threat .

Last edited:
For bigger mobs, eventually getting bigger weapons for quads, and preferably some way to switch these, would be good. A quad has several weapons attachment points after all.

A few comments:

• You can't use the VTOL rockets for hunting mobs (unless MA has finally fixed this bug)

• Space mobs are the only big HP mobs that new players can hunt solo

•!Hunting space mobs is great for fast skilling and eco hunting (decay/defensive costs can be near zero) if you 1) hunt the right sized mobs so that you don't get a lot of overkill, 2) switch seats to get the kill shot when appropriate, 3) have a large enough ped card 4) avoid getting looted by other players 5) avoid getting hit too often

• Hunting space mobs sucks because 1) you generally have to go back to planet to store your loot, 2) half of the mobs dance and jump and make you waste shots, 3) loot MU is not enough to break even in the long run (same as on planet), 4) there are only a few items that space mobs drop, which have decent MU but can be a bit of a pain to sell 5) your globals are advertised instantly to pirates, and depending on the mob and maturity, it can tell them exactly where you are

Actually they changed the speed on the dropships when they added in pt Cryene.....

That is unfortunate to hear, and thanks for the update.

I don't think they really should have been that easy anyhow, as nice at it was, (nor completely decay free) so at least someone in balancing is thinking.

Seemed like a slap in the face to the people who invested in much larger and costly ships to have the latest and greatest bested by a single quad.

Someday I hope to hear.....
motherships X and Y going to hunt the Z. need fleet of 10 quads + crew for each, PM commander awesome.

but thats a bit off topic and probably not very eco. )

grats on the cosmic. )

Back