copyright proof?

mastermesh

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
Maria Mesh
Was in the bank at PA the other day and heard some tunes on the little speaker thing in there... Since this location is on Calypso, it's a bit of a Calypso issue even though it's somewhat related to another planet partner... Does Neverdie have the rights to play all the tunes he's playing on there, and if so is there any 'proof' of that? Just kinda curious as more and more radio stations like this pop up in game (think I read something about Cyrene having something similar?).... would seem to be something Mindark would want to look at since the entire virtual platform known as Entropia Universe is a method of distribution of this sort of stuff so to speak... i.e. if the copyright owners of some of those songs did not give the rights to those distributing, it eventually could turn in to a bit of an ugly mess?

one thread I read tonight that sort of got me thinking about this issue: http://cyreneforum.com/threads/msr-music-collection.61/

EDIT:
Despite what most replies are saying, this is not primarily about Neverdie. I suspect that being an artist himself, he's got most the rights that he needs... it's about the up and comings... i.e. Mindstar, and/or other planet partners that will be joining the virtual universe in the not-too-distant future with their own tunes, etc.

Yes, I agree, the removal of the PC screen upload might have to do with this, but I don't think that's why that happened? I could be wrong though. Would suck if MA destroyed an entire system of uploading stuff over that just because they don't want to be bothered with trying to review stuff to determine if stuff on their server is legitly 'owned' by whoever uploaded, etc. They should just remove the offending stuff, not the entire freaking system.

Last edited:
Fairly sure NeverDie has rights to play the tunes in his bank for non-profit and the music he has playing on Rocktropia is all from the musicians that've made a deal with him allowing him to play their music and they get their name(s) placed on the planet.

Not sure about this Cryene thing though.

I assume he has a DDL (Digital DJ License) which allows him to play whatever music he likes.

I assume he has a DDL (Digital DJ License) which allows him to play whatever music he likes.

Well not everything he likes but damn close to it.. It is very easy to get one of these licenses and you have a list of 100k plus of music to choose from and have access to an online database that contains even more!! :) Each license is different for different countries but online Digital license gives you borderless rights to play music.

This is second hand knowledge I gained from an ex co-worker that has this license and runs a DJ service both for live public play and an online station. ;)

Imaterail law is a very interesting subject now when we have Internet. In Sweden we have the "STIM", they charge everyone who puts out music to the public, elevators, radio stations, shops, restaurants, at work, etc. And of course they care about what is distributet on the Internet. I'm not sure, but MA being a swedish company they should in theory be paying to STIM. Probably there is similar organs like STIM in other countries, so which one should you pay to?
RT being basedin in US but using servers placed in europe through a company based in Sweden?

http://www.stim.se/en/Users/Internet/
STIMS Internet license is based on visits/streams/month. How do u mneasure this is a 3D environment, how do you know ho hear it.

Was in the bank at PA the other day and heard some tunes on the little speaker thing in there... Since this location is on Calypso, it's a bit of a Calypso issue even though it's somewhat related to another planet partner... Does Neverdie have the rights to play all the tunes he's playing on there, and if so is there any 'proof' of that? Just kinda curious as more and more radio stations like this pop up in game (think I read something about Cyrene having something similar?).... would seem to be something Mindark would want to look at since the entire virtual platform known as Entropia Universe is a method of distribution of this sort of stuff so to speak... i.e. if the copyright owners of some of those songs did not give the rights to those distributing, it eventually could turn in to a bit of an ugly mess?

one thread I read tonight that sort of got me thinking about this issue: http://cyreneforum.com/threads/msr-music-collection.61/

This seems like just another mastermesh looking for a reason to attack ND thread. I have no love for ND. Nor any ill will per say.

But I can say and mean DROP IT....you have been on about him for years now.

Copyright laws are BS , kudos to ND if he is 'stealing' the music on there.

Its not stealing when the owner still has the original, sharing is free!

This seems like just another mastermesh looking for a reason to attack ND thread. I have no love for ND. Nor any ill will per say.

But I can say and mean DROP IT....you have been on about him for years now.
lol. could be. Also could be a just interested in this since a lot of radio stations in game will increase over time, etc., and also because eventually I might buy an upgrade for my own estates in game to put in a radio station, etc.

lol. could be. Also could be a just interested in this since a lot of radio stations in game will increase over time, etc., and also because eventually I might buy an upgrade for my own estates in game to put in a radio station, etc.

Could be this, could be that.

Whenever you mention ND it is either an attack or an underhanded attempt to smear him.

It bores the shit out of me really. Get over your love affair.

You wouldn't have asked about "proof" if this was just general interest for your estate.

This is more relevant to the vid screens and why they were removed..

You are not convincing anyone.

Your ND affliction is getting really old, just move on...

yes, just tired of these (direct or indirect) personal attacks against ND.

Just to state my background with this: For the past 12 years, I've been involved with an Australian Community Radio Station, including regular licence applications and renewals.

Perhaps there is different terminology between countries, but so far as I'm aware, a Digital DJ Licence covers only the reproduction of the music from one format to another (eg copying music from CD's to a file server), and for playing music originally bought and downloaded onto a computer (eg from an online music source).
It does not however include the right to broadcast music to the public.
From the APRA|AMCOS website:
Copyright owners in music have a number of rights in their work, including the right to reproduce their music and the right to communicate their work to the public. The term ‘communication’ covers broadcasting, electronic transmission and making music available online.

Whenever music is downloaded or streamed over the internet, there are a number of rights that are exploited. These include:
*the reproduction of a musical work; and
*the communication to the public of a musical work.

In most cases, APRA|AMCOS offer digital, online and mobile service providers a single licence to cover the reproduction and communication of musical works.

Please note that the reproduction and communication to the public of a sound recording are separate rights and will almost certainly need a separate licence.

To cover the 'communication to the public' side of this, which I assume is what Mastermesh is specifically asking about, ND (or his business if appropriate) would require to obtain a broadcasting licence which may be issued by the artist personally, the artist's recording company (eg Warner Music etc), or the national licencing body where he lives (or his business is registered).

So, for example, the community radio station I'm associated with here holds licences and pays separate fees for:
. radio broadcasting (Australian Communications & Media Authority)
. mechanical reproduction (Australian Mechanical Copyright Owner's Society)
. performance rights (Australian Performing Rights Assocation)
. online simultaneous streaming (APRA|AMCOS)

Part of MindArk's Participant Content Policy states:
In connection with the Participant Content System, You agree that You will not: (a) submit materials that are copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, privacy and publicity rights, unless You are the owner of such rights or have a written permission from their rightful owner(s) to submit the materials; (

This puts responsibility for obtaining appropriate licencing for content, including music, on the user (not MindArk).

Given the variety of sources from which a legitimate licence may be obtained, I would suggest if you have a legitimate concern (other than idle curiosity), the most appropriate action would be to contact ND personally and ask him, rather than posting as a question for the Calypso PP's here.

Rocktropia use's jango Internet radio maybe have a look at their website for answers to copyright proof.

EDIT:
Despite what most replies are saying, this is not primarily about Neverdie. I suspect that being an artist himself, he's got most the rights that he needs... it's about the up and comings... i.e. Mindstar, and/or other planet partners that will be joining the virtual universe in the not-too-distant future with their own tunes, etc.

Yes, I agree, the removal of the PC screen upload might have to do with this, but I don't think that's why that happened? I could be wrong though. Would suck if MA destroyed an entire system of uploading stuff over that just because they don't want to be bothered with trying to review stuff to determine if stuff on their server is legitly 'owned' by whoever uploaded, etc. They should just remove the offending stuff, not the entire freaking system.

This is all a very good point. I also see that there are a lot of people here on the forum who use Windows on their computers. Are you using a legitimate copy of Windows? Because I certainly haven't seen any proof that you are.
Maybe the people who have left EU did so because they were using pirate copies of Windows.

Just a thought.

Back