philosopher's sword- is it worth it?

nutrageti

Stalker
47 nutrageti hitman
I got bored using pistols and feel like getting one of these swords :)
question is: is it worth it? I'm looking for reviews of people who've bought them :)
good eco but small tt (300 ~uses for it before repair )
thoughts and suggestions? (and no, not buying one of the 2 others cause don't have that kind of ped )

It's a great finisher, but way too low TT to be useful in actual hunting unless you are really, really close to a repair terminal, or you have a couple of them.

I'm on NI now, if your travels bring you this way you're welcome to take mine for a spin and decide for yourself.

That's why people buy and sell those in bulk. Get 3 and you're up for a decent run.

hey manny :) thanks :D i'm on rt now so can come for a visit soon :) was thinking it would be usefull on iron missions on caly for things like molisk, foul, feff, argo...which all are pretty close to tps on la or eudoria

That's why people buy and sell those in bulk. Get 3 and you're up for a decent run.

getting 3 might be a good idea though pretty expensive :) mu should go down eventually i guess

As far as melee goes, for that level of damage and sib, I'm not sure it can be beat, but yes you would need multiple swords for a good run, but if you don't mind constantly going to repair terminal, one is still nice.

Nice sword, and I really don't mind the shorter runs with it. Although to be honest, anywhere other then AG and I get bored with it quickly. Although I do have the attention span of a........oh hey, a kitty......

getting 3 might be a good idea though pretty expensive :) mu should go down eventually i guess

Expensive? Are you kidding me? Unl sib with that kind of dps and eco at something like +100 for 33 ped usable tt. If you do some basic math, buy 4, you're in +400ish ped for 1256 swings. Compare that to something like the Omegaton Power Claw ME, which has the same amount of uses but is half the dps, and less eco, yet it sells for +1.2K or more. That's before you even start talking about some of the big tt unl sib melee weapons out there. To me that makes the philosopher, or even the hero a killer deal. Same with the Archon except there seems to be a monopoly on that one atm.

I've been skilling with 6 philosopher swords, which is at least a respectable amount of usable tt, 198 ped runs, and only 198 ped tied up in unusable tt. It's a little tedious to have to switch weapons 5 times each run, but for the savings in mu over (L), the eco per swing, the productive dps, and the amount of skills my avatar can gain? It's a no brainer. :wise:

I bought 5 and two hero swords. for 250 ped runs. I used to own a bicak kek, but I was always looking for a sib replacement for my old school axes and katsuichi swords. This set of swords is the answer to my prayers. Yes they break really fast, but I was used to that with the axe 1x0 and 2x0 in the old days. I used to do runs with 12 axes. These swords are eco, have decent reload, and really decent range. When we do teamhunts on levi I'm swinging them like they are pistols. (keeping the same distance)

I love mine, and don't mind having to take a break every 15 minutes at all. Will probably buy the hero/archon when i get the skills.

thanks for all the responses :D I'll be buying one and probably more as I get more ped :)

MA recently declared that dmg/pec is important wich means good eco ul sib weapons are prone to focus on futures market.

would not be suprised if they started nerfing the droprate of the materials needed for the crafting already.

wich means get one before they are uncommon in au.

its not like +130 ped is an inflated price, when you take into account what you actually get.

I bought one of those phil swords when they were about tt+220

tried it on big argos for a few runs. I was impressed with speed and hit rate, but got the feeling rather quickly that loot was holding back using them on Caly. Now I keep it as a final finisher when ammo runs out, or L gun dies.

I would suspect they are designed for AG, so maybe the best returns for these swords could be for hunting on AG, i've not tried them there yet.

For a few hundred ped its a nice sword.

Rick

theoretically they are designed for ancient greece :) I've used the tt swords from ag and didn't notice much difference from opalo in overall return...will test it out i guess :)

They are definitely worth it. I'll probably be getting more of this type of stuff eventually.

I traded my one measly cld for an archon sword a few days back. I can't use it much since my skill level doesn't have it maxed yet. However, I just picked up a psy-sword from the zombie shop last night, so I'll be working on upping skills over time. I was using labrys up til now to skill up a bit, but I think the psi-sword is a bit better eco.

Eventually I would not mind getting an unlimited improved embra, but that's down the road at the moment since the current owners don't seem to want item trades.

Main disadvantage to them is they break too soon... very fragile. Can't wait for the sib version of a katsuichi determination to be released later this year. :) ;)

Last edited:
Philosopher, Hero, Archon dmg/sec isn't so vastly different: 28.5 - 31.8 - 32.5, much less then the difference in price :) but somehow... when you have hunted with Archon you don't want to use Philosopher any more.

tried it on big argos for a few runs. I was impressed with speed and hit rate, but got the feeling rather quickly that loot was holding back using them on Caly. Now I keep it as a final finisher when ammo runs out, or L gun dies.

I would suspect they are designed for AG, so maybe the best returns for these swords could be for hunting on AG, i've not tried them there yet.

Here's the only solid data (we cant predict the loot swings, at least not exactly :) ):

Philosopher T3: average cost to kill Argonaut young 1.08 ped
Archon T3: average cost to kill Argonaut young 1.06 ped
(both calculated assuming u don't use any finishers)

Have hunted a lot with all 3 greek swords (as you can see from tiers hehe) both in AG and on Caly, so...

Official myth-buster notice: loot is definitely NOT "holding back" with those weapons (as, most likely, with any weapon). It's just coincidences and too small sample size...

what enhancers did you use fifth? aren't damage a bit bad for the eco on these swords?

I am using 2 Philos and 2 Heros for my runs. Not very eco hunt runs I can say :) ... but skills go up like in every 4-6 hits, even now both swords are maxed since quit a time. Very good for skilling-up

I love mine, and don't mind having to take a break every 15 minutes at all. Will probably buy the hero/archon when i get the skills.

Yeh I have two of them and that makes the runs long enough for me. I love using them and I still have SIB so it makes for some really fast skilling that is still more Eco than the TT Blade. xDD
Got 2 Hero swords too they got to be one of my favorite items in EU. And they're totally affordable!! :yup: That is a rare opportunity since most other favorite items cost 10000s. heh

I am using 2 Philos and 2 Heros for my runs. Not very eco hunt runs I can say :) ... but skills go up like in every 4-6 hits, even now both swords are maxed since quit a time. Very good for skilling-up

Why you said "not very eco hunt runs"?

Why you said "not very eco hunt runs"?

Perhaps because he targets too high mobs with them? :p That's always tempting with them. Otherwise they are extremely eco ofc.

Back