Entropia Life - Using the maps how they are ment to

Starfinder

Elite
Society
Planet Express
Ms. Kazzza 'Starfinder' Milla
After reading up on various posts, and watching some youtube videos/streams where people complain that the map system (in particular for mining) isent fully working or it is of limited use, I thought I would write this post on how to set up your maps.

First things first - I have tested the Map system in Opera, FireFox, Chrome and IE9. (Older Internet Explorer browsers are notorious for not conforming to W3C standards, and therefore I can not say if the maps work in those browsers)

Once you have installed and started using one of the listed browsers. Go to Entropia Life.
Under "Settings" and "Account Settings" you have an option for "Location Privacy".
This is a critical element in getting the right data to your maps.

Since Entropia Life builds on user generated data on the mining maps (claim locations), it was decided that a user can select who should be able to use his/her mining location coordinates. Thus, you MUST set up who should be able to see your "locations".

If you set it to "Friends and Soc" as I have, then all my friends and everyone in my soc can see my locations on their map IF .. IF they have also selected to share their locations with me.
That is:
If you are a friend of mine, and I have my location privacy set to "friends and soc". Then you must also share your locations with "friends". Otherwise you can not see my locations.
"Quid pro quo".

This is also why 99.9% of the maps are "empty" now - or only showing your own coordinates. You NEED to set up this part under "Account Settings" and get your friends to do so as well! (Point them to this post).

Right, so assuming you have set up your sharing level as you desire - lets take a look at the different mining maps.
When you go to "Mining" you have 3 different maps you can select.
Mineral Map
Mineral Area Map
Mineral Global Map.

The "Mineral Map" is a map showing non-globals (manually entered) mining claims of the selected type on the selected map as "pins" you know from google maps. See screenshot below:
mineralmap.png

On this image I have selected "Banite Stones" on "Arkadia".
The map then shows me the latest 500 (if there is that many) Banite Stone finds on Arkadia that I HAVE ACCESS TO via the privacy settings discussed earlier.

The same selection of Banite and Arkadia can be made for the Mineral Area Map.
This map however draws polygons on the canvas where the color is decided by the proximity of the various claims found within the area (an area is 500x500 meters as far as I remember - an arbitrary size I decided when I coded it)
The map thus looks like this:
mineralarea.png

On the previous map it was hard to decide where on the island in question the best mining for banite is. On this map however, we can see that in the bottom right corner of the island that even though there are some banite there (it is transparent red), the best mining for banite is in the top/left part of the island. This could be a little hard to see on the previous "mineral map" where you could just see a cluster of markers. Here the software tells you that the claims are closer in the top/left of the map...

Lastly, we have the "Mineral Global Map".
10 points for guessing what this map will show you.
Here I am showing Iron on FOMA.
This you can use to your advantage if you are looking for a particular mineral.
(I also use it to see which domes are mined the most)
mineralglobal.png

I have to give a personal comment towards the source of this post.
Offline or manually updated (by one person) maps can in no way compete whit a map system like this.
This is user driven information by "all your friends". Currently I have some 98 "data sources" for my map. Every single claim is logged. Every global I can see on the map, trends in when which area is hot I can see. The density of minerals at a given location I can see. And not just by the "feeling" of one individual. This is a system used by some 3000 people (people running the client - almost 20.000 users on the site).

And... This map system is completely free.. 100% live updated.. 100% accurate...

That is all.. :)

I still don't get it

If I have no friends or soc mates, that share mining data for me, will I be able to see the information shown in this graphs?

Or is that information shown to me only by my friends ans soc mates that are sharing?

I mean....can I see that information from all the users who are using the client?

I still don't get it

If I have no friends or soc mates, that share mining data for me, will I be able to see the information shown in this graphs?

Or is that information shown to me only by my friends ans soc mates that are sharing?

I mean....can I see that information from all the users who are using the client?

If you have no friends/soc members that are sharing their data.. the maps will only use your own data.
The more data you want on the map - the more friends (who share data with you) you need...

Examples:
You and I are friends on the site.

1)
None of us share our coordinates with soc or friends.
Neither of us can see each others coordinates...

2)
I share my locations with my friends, but you do not.
Neither of us can see each others coordinates...

3)
We both share our locations with friends.
We can both see each others locations....

I hope that clears it up a little..

Last edited:
Back