Google (maps) dislike EU

tamlin

Prowler
tamlin
I just got the following "dialog":
"Google has disabled use of the Maps API for this application. See the Terms of Service for more information: http://www.google.com/help/terms_maps.html."

did those maps on google use eta's stuff? If so, read this.

Where did you get this dialogue?

I don't see the link to PE...

Last edited:
did those maps on google use eta's stuff?
Not that I'm aware of.

Where did you get this dialogue?

I don't see the link to PE...
See what section this is posted in.

Oh great... Just now, this very instant, I was testing the URL for inclusion in this post, and now it works.

Google has started limiting the number of map views a website can use for free. Now websites have to pay to use google maps API. So, depending on volume, entropedia's google maps might not work for part of each day.

Perhaps someone can rig Oceanic tool to work with entropedia instead? It uses XML.

See what section this is posted in.

Unfortunately that's not visible on PCF mobile, at least not using the mobile skin.

But I guess it must be about Entropedia...

Unfortunately that's not visible on PCF mobile, at least not using the mobile skin.

But I guess it must be about Entropedia...
OK, another reason to prefer using a real computer. :) Yes, it's in the Entropedia section.

Perhaps someone can rig Oceanic tool to work with entropedia instead? It uses XML.

In the first paragraph "It is an Adobe Flash based, stand-alone application for Windows". That's three (four) show-stoppers in just the first paragraph.

But on the subject, how hard could it be to whip up some software for this that hardly affect CPU load on the server?

From my understanding, the requirements are:
- Tiles. A larger image is split up in smaller tiles.
- Mipmapped.
- User clicks map, map zooms in.
- User holds some mouse button and drags mouse, map pan's.
- User turns mouse-wheel (or click +/- on a zoom widget), map zoom's.
- Dynamic overlay of markers/icons. (*)
- Perhaps a vector layer (AntiGrain).

(*) If this is done client-side, no problem. If server-side, it could unfortunately induce quite a bit of overhead to (re)compress composed images before sending them over the wire. Not having had the need to do image composition in HTML, is this something that can be done client-side? With addition of a tiny amount of JavaScript?

Thoughts? Feasible?

Back