Lootable space, the epic fail!

So, we're told if there's an obstacle this is a bad thing.
And the solution is - remove all obstacles.

Allright, let's follow this logic to the end
  • Lootable space is an obstacle. Solution: remove lootable PvP
Few weeks later there's next "biggest problem" - why does it take so long to travel between planets in quad? What's the point? There's no dangers, there's no risk, absolutely nothing to do all this time.
  • Solution: decrease the distance, bring planets closer to each other.
Finally, after we have removed all content only the last logical step remains:
  • Enable direct teleporting from planet to planet.
    In fact this final step removes entire Space. That's it, no more Final Frontier. :silly2:

Can you see what's the problem with this approach?

The obstacles that you have to overcome ARE the game.
Removing them is not the solution. If there's a problem you have to go the exact opposite direction - improve the gameplay elements/obstacles/tasks/quests.

Offtop: I know how to fly safely between planets. Means, i could use my quad to make living as smuggler/transporter (if i wasn't too lazy for that :) )
Now, if i was able to figure this out there must be others who know the trick. It's all very nice and useful but... shouldn't be that easy.

Nothing wrong with Space in general, but there's a lot of room for improvement for sure...

I agree with fifth here. oh wow .... I actually agreed with fifth!

I agree with fifth here. oh wow .... I actually agreed with fifth!

There are other aspects:

Some of us don't want to spend *our* time being target practice puppets for pk:ing, especially those times we're short of time. One thing is spending time in ring at Twin Peaks or even at oil rig, but then we can "bail out" at any time. In my case I can jump from rig to Twin Peaks in 20 seconds, and dying in ring in Twin Peaks means revival is 20m away and teleporter 150m away.

Some people can spend entire weekdays playing. Others of us only have a few hours online monday-friday (or make it sunday 23:00-friday 19:00) - and during that limited time we don't want to spend time doing things we don't want to spend time with.

Dying on planet because of a mob: Unless you got a fapper who need a ride, you charge TP-chip and you'll be back in 30 seconds.

Dying in space: You get shot down, you get sent back to space station (or mothership), you'll be stuck for ~20 seconds during which you can't move, if you arrived on a mothership you have to run back all way to hangar, you need to find a valid spot to spawn your "ship", you probably want to repair it, you have to fly all the way back. Now, at one of the points, add 2-3 minutes if you get a CTD (either when arriving at revival or when leaving hangar), and during that time you have to fight login windows ("already logged in" and "an unspecified error
occured try again").

As for making travel time shorter: Travel times were shorter before the map was remade..

As for Rocktropia, I wonder if the planet partner really thinks it's a good idea to have very active pirates keeping you from leaving the space station (unlesss paying 7 ped fee) to fly down to planet. And knowing there are active pirates around, it doesn't really encourage space hunting at least not there (as it's easy for pirates to just follow space mobs hunters). And, generally, I don't like getting shot in my back while hunting (which is likely to happen in lootable pvp if a professional pk:er comes along).

If they want lootable pvp for trading, they could have made it so that if you get shotdown in space, the quad/vtol would still be floating around, you'll revive in the vehicle and although broken, you would be able to use it to get to your destination (but you would need to repair it to an approved condition before taking off again). Or if you get killed in space, you would get options where you would want to revive (so if you get shot down and killed at rocktropia space station you could chose to revive at Rocktropia surface or at another spacestation closer to your destination). If you lost your (potential) loot it shouldn't matter to pirates where you revive.

Last edited:
The danger of that attitude is that you lose someone early on while they're scoping things out, and had they got into the game they may well have become a long-term depositor.

IMO if you start off on Calypso or Arkadia and you can't commit to the game based on your experiences on those planets then another planet isn't going to change your mind. The first time I went into space I paid someone to fly me to Calypso and we got killed three times on the way there. This only made the game more exciting to me and worth spending more time and money checking out. Fifth has it right this game is fun because of it's challenges, it's not going to get better by removing them.

Good thinking and good ideas!

If they want lootable pvp for trading, they could have made it so that if you get shotdown in space, the quad/vtol would still be floating around, you'll revive in the vehicle and although broken, you would be able to use it to get to your destination (but you would need to repair it to an approved condition before taking off again). Or if you get killed in space, you would get options where you would want to revive (so if you get shot down and killed at rocktropia space station you could chose to revive at Rocktropia surface or at another spacestation closer to your destination). If you lost your (potential) loot it shouldn't matter to pirates where you revive.

This deserves +rep

I'm all for challenges and excitement, but i hate meaningless hassle with no positive function whatsoever just like all the normal ppl.. :laugh:

IMO if you start off on Calypso or Arkadia and you can't commit to the game based on your experiences on those planets then another planet isn't going to change your mind.

On the latter point I agree, it is the responsibility of the planet partners to make their planet appealing to those new users they attract.

I don't like the whole 'commit to the game' line of thinking though. It suggests there is a requirement for players to commit themselves to the game and any that don't weren't worth the bother in the first place. That's the wrong way to look at it, but sometimes MA make it feel like they think that way too, which may be partly why the playerbase has never grown as much as it could. Every new player has seen/heard/read enough about the game to be interested enough to spend hours downloading it. MA and the planet partners should be doing everything they can to keep them interested and make them feel like valued customers; demanding commitment doesn't achieve that and likely will push people away.

Ok I'll give you this one with a spoon.

getting 111% MU by transporting materials is only possible because there is divergance in prices between the two markets. if everyone could freely travel that arbitrage would disappear very quickly. so if you are benfiting you should be carefull what you wish for.

getting 111% MU by transporting materials is only possible because there is divergance in prices between the two markets. if everyone could freely travel that arbitrage would disappear very quickly. so if you are benfiting you should be carefull what you wish for.

That was not what I meant with the commet. The 111% number is just put there in both cases to show the difference between high/low ped card travelers. I meant that if I get that by selling at the market with highest MU possible and would have to travel it won't impact those that can travel with a lot of loot as much as those with a lower budget. This was mentioned in the OP also but I just had to give a more detailed description to someone so that's the reason I put some numbers in it.

On the latter point I agree, it is the responsibility of the planet partners to make their planet appealing to those new users they attract.

I don't like the whole 'commit to the game' line of thinking though. It suggests there is a requirement for players to commit themselves to the game and any that don't weren't worth the bother in the first place. That's the wrong way to look at it, but sometimes MA make it feel like they think that way too, which may be partly why the playerbase has never grown as much as it could. Every new player has seen/heard/read enough about the game to be interested enough to spend hours downloading it. MA and the planet partners should be doing everything they can to keep them interested and make them feel like valued customers; demanding commitment doesn't achieve that and likely will push people away.

OK commit is not the right word maybe "become active players" is better. I actually haven't met that many people in game that feel like valued customers new or old. But then again my interaction with players aren't always the most pleasant of circumstances.

safe wormholes

How about a wormhole that brings players to a decent distance away from planets on the outside of server boarders which can be a safe zone. The added distance would make flights cost more gas, take longer, so player can weigh risk/cost. And all the planets are located on the edges anyway.

I think this thread needs a bump among all the biased space threads out there :yay:

None lotable space will become real fail :D

Hmm, i think i know what's missing

Remember how it was in the old days - you went to the hangar, entered the ship, found a free seat and sit yourself down. Then there was this animation thing ('cause there was no Space yet) and when you climbed out of the ship you were standing in a large room somewhere on CND or CP.

See the difference?

It was a full service all the way - you paid the fee and the rest was taken care of.
I know, there's lot of people who don't care for this, but i believe there's also quite a large group of players who would appreciate if it was made really simple - i mean, so simple that you can handle it when drunk like skunk - and would gladly pay few peds more for the service.

No way...the most drunken ones are the best looters HARHAR!!!
OK, add automatic function that pushes all your lootable stuff to storage before you leave so that this service can't be (mis)used for smuggling goods between planets.

Back