REQUEST: Can we please get an Space 0,0,0 OVERLAY toggle.

Dear Devs: Please add a grid overlay for the space zone.

• Total voters

Shard-Angel

Prowler
Society
Project Entropia
Vehshi Rogue Shard-Angel
Greets.

Space is 3D. Can we please get an Toggleable ON/OFF (Artifical Horizon) command/action option for a grid overlay on the 0,0,0 so we can guage:

* which side is up
* how fast we're travelling
* distance to objects
* depth/height
* deep space boundaries/borders.
* etc. ;)

computer-graphic-of-blue-grid-with-space-and-stars.jpg

Thanks. :)

Some example screencaps from STO:

Last edited:
No comments? ;)

There is one way to find out that I use when traveling in space! :)

Right click on the map and make a waypoint, that way you will see it from very far away, if you aim towards it you know that you are traveling "straight" and not up/down

Really useful, but a grid could also be cool, or some sort of interface inside the spaceships indeed... when space was new, it was really hard knowing up/down if you did not see any planet ... Good idea :)

Space is 3D. Can we please get a toggleable ON/OFF option for a grid overlay on the 0,0,0 so we know which side is up. ;)

There is no "up" in space, due to missing gravity...

Wow! A lot of opposition for a Toggleable ON/OFF command feature!

Enhancing EU UI is a bad thing somehow? :confused:

The "Align horizontal"-action says otherwise. :cool:

And laser rifles have recoil in EU... :silly2:

An artificial horizon would not hurt i guess, as long as it is not part of the scenery, but part of the HUD.

I would not mind something like that :) although I do have "align horizontal" for the times I do travel in space.

<split post>

Last edited by a moderator:
Greets.

Space is 3D. Can we please get an Toggleable ON/OFF (Artifical Horizon) command/action option for a grid overlay on the 0,0,0 so we can guage:

* which side is up
* distance to objects
* depth/height
* etc. ;)

Well, in space you need to use the Way Points to get a bearing of where you are. But the ships do need some sort of dashboard. I noted that all new vehicles have no dashboards.

Please MA:

If a PP (or you) submits a new vehicle, reject it until it has a fully functional dashboard.

<split post>

And to not be completely off topic, assigning an arbitrary x,y,z or North, S, E, W, U, D as a conceptual and navigation aid is reasonable and commonplace even without "gravity" or magnetic poles as referents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread split and relevant posts moved to Laser weapons and recoil - including splitting posts where required to retain integrity of both threads.

Cool idea :) . I hope when they have the next big space update they have this or something similar especially if they make space bigger when they add the new planets.

how about an craftable pilot helmet which enables such ?

Thread split and relevant posts moved to Laser weapons and recoil - including splitting posts where required to retain integrity of both threads.

Thanks. Appreciated. :)

Still see a great divide in a nice UI upgrade. Puzzled why. :confused: Rigid old schoolers? Or people not reading the full post before voting perhaps?

I love this idea and yes i think it would make it much better to traverse space.

The idea is good. Suggest 1 modification to it.

Display the grid while in cockpit view only, as an overlay on the windshield of the craft.

Do not display it on the whole of space, regardless of view.

If in a combat situation the pilot must change into an unrealistic viewpoint the pilot should lose advantage of tools a specific vehicle provides.

Actually, this type of scenario could open up a whole host of different cockpit related tools for development, as space gets more and more developed.

The idea is good. Suggest 1 modification to it.

Display the grid while in cockpit view only, as an overlay on the windshield of the craft.

Do not display it on the whole of space, regardless of view.

If in a combat situation the pilot must change into an unrealistic viewpoint the pilot should lose advantage of tools a specific vehicle provides.

Actually, this type of scenario could open up a whole host of different cockpit related tools for development, as space gets more and more developed.

Yes, that too is a good idea. But it restricts the visibility since we cannot see all around us - not good for plotting course, nor any use for tactical squad/fleet operations.

As for realism... this is the future where the "birds eye" camera position can easily be simulated by plotting the spacecraft's position on the axis and then projecting the grid on the 0,0,0 plane - whilst charting all objects in the sector and plotting them in correct positions on around the plane.

The deep in space is fake....-400 +400...is fake tested to meat with a friend and used /pos to see were it is it wasn't under my quad but in my right...so if deep is fake how can they make a Overlay toggle?

Greets.
* which side is up
* distance to objects
* depth/height
* etc. ;)

Here's some comments...

* which side is up

There is no 'up' in space​

The answer is always 'Way too damn slowly'​

* distance to objects

If all the planets were actually as close as they are on the EU space map, they'd all merge into a superplanet sending EU into a ball of flames, everyone would die​

* depth/height

I refer you back to the concept that there is no 'up' :)

space is infinite​

* etc. ;)

ETC, if you provide thrust to a body the body continue without the further need for input of thrust, further input of thrust gives continued acceleration, enabling faster and faster speed. If you were expecting realism... you'd be hard pushed to find any game with a 3D space element (whether the majority part or a minor part) that effectively simulates reality./​

Here's some comments...
The truth is that EU's physics has nothing in common with RL one, the space has "up" and borders, etc.. Try to measure the g constant some time on Caly - we all are dead anyway because a planet with such gravity can't have any atmosphere :silly2:

Here are some examples from STO:
st-004.jpg

st-003.jpg

st-002.jpg

Or just plant some pine trees so we know which way is up...

There is no 'up' in space

Just because there is a lack of gravity, and no magnetic pole to point you north, doesn't mean there shouldn't be a coordinate system. I highly doubt that astronauts flying to earth's moon just point at the moon and push a button. No doubt they have a coordinate system to make their calculations to keep on course to arrive at their destination safely.

There may be no 'up' in space, but all the Entropian planets are along the same flat plane, which would simply be a way to help keep on course. :)

Or just plant some pine trees so we know which way is up...

Well, the space stations are like giant pine trees for a start - so we know what is 'up' when near them.

Further away, yes the planets are on the plane, but also have moons so that you can tell if you are looking at them from upside down or not...

and after that there is the space background in itself to learn. I also use a bit of parallax for knowing my approximate height when the planet is 'behind' the space station.

All very helpful without a grid layout, but I agree that MA could introduce a tick box for an overlay, yes.

Back