Thoughts as a Noob

AndresTalas

Young
Society
Honest Entropians
The new starter area is fantastic. Its one of the best starter areas I've seen in an MMO. Really, really good introduction to the game.

The community is pretty darn good. I ran into three players who were substantially helpful early on, one of whom gave me a lift in his VTOL to Twin Peaks and let me help heal him while hunting, another who have me some good advice and pressed a mining tool into my hands, and a third who gave me a decent trade on sweat for needed equipment.

Love the open world, the amazing beauty, the skills system and the depth of the crafting system.

The game appears to have a smaller number of players than I expected - it looks like MA are failing to convert a lot of people who try the game into long-term starters. Personally, I think they slam the paywall down too early - its the little things, like the 0.5 PED non-refundable auction fee, the fact that sweat only appears to be used for a couple of low-demand things and the truly crap rewards in the post-newbie quests.

If MA want newbies to stick around, then in my view they should incentivise the community to buy what they can produce, and therefore have them become part of the economy and society. Otherwise, people will download the game, and then get to the stage where they are poor and with broken gear, and then too many of them will quit.

Basically, invest in your newbies, MA. They are the future of the game.

Gave OP a +rep. Welcome aboard :)

being pretty new myself the one thing that i noticed about ma trying to help the new arrivals is that as soon as something is done for them that the vets find away to take over that market and drive new players with higher cost out.

introduce a new bp for new players vets grind it to death till there is no profit left with a much higher chance of success.

add a new mob vets grind/ mob train them till there are few left for new players.

introduce a vehicle vets stand around the mission broker and convince new players they are only worth tt or a ped or 2.

on and on and on.

the only way to really help new players is create a market for sweat which cyrene seems to be doing and toulan has the chance to do.

but again the vets with the stacks of 100k+ from time and exploits will have control of that market.

these examples are a bit dramatic and not true for the majority of eu vets. but theses are the problems ma has when trying to help new players :p

again i am being dramatic not calling out all vets :p

i guess i am should also say that i not saying prices for sweat need to be higher just the uses for it. the supply is already there but the demand is not.

ark and caly seem to have done a good job with the new arrival quests which helps a great deal introducing us to the various game play mechanics.

again i have been playing for less than 6 months and as my name states :p

correct me if i am wrong about something please ? < like i have to ask for that...

being pretty new myself the one thing that i noticed about ma trying to help the new arrivals is that as soon as something is done for them that the vets find away to take over that market and drive new players with higher cost out.

Theres a couple of solutions to that.

One of them is single-use quests - and note for the record I dont object to the pressure to give MA money being there ... I just dont think the *when* is working particularly well.

For example, those Fort Icarus hunting quests could and should get a thousand rounds or so of ammo per completion, and maybe a clue about using a 'finishing' weapon to save ammo. Likewise, the intro mining quests ... four mining probes is a bit of a joke. 40 and a clue as to what sort of ore is found where might get people rolling the dice on mining more often.

Because they are do-once, it's harder to exploit than a new mob that continually respawns.

Similarly, my guess is those 100k stacks of sweat vape pretty fast once theres something profitable to turn them into ... and then they want more sweat. Oh. Newbies ... offer them things they want, and they'll sweat for me.

*shrug* But this will mean considering players as lambs to be grown and then be shorn, rather than sheep to be skinned.

Great post. Welcome to the universe, and I agree with your points. This game has an amazing community but a relatively small player base. I definitely agree that MA could do more to help retain new players.

If you're interested in joining a player society (and aren't already in one), I'd love to talk to you about that sometime. Look me up in the player register if you like.

Great post. Welcome to the universe, and I agree with your points. This game has an amazing community but a relatively small player base. I definitely agree that MA could do more to help retain new players.

If you're interested in joining a player society (and aren't already in one), I'd love to talk to you about that sometime. Look me up in the player register if you like.

That was something else I should have mentioned.

None of the players who helped me were in the Society I ended up signing on in, who are also all great people :)

Back