Unacceptable server crashes during mm (petition for more action)

Jago

Guardian
Society
Natural Born Killers
Phil Jago Jag
As mentioned in twin peaks, right after yet another server crash, here's the petition against MA's poor performance.
Is 1 pec compensation acceptable? No
Are the constant server crashes acceptable during one of if not THE biggest event of the year? Certainly not.

Sign here if you demand answers and want something more done about it. A little "we're sorry" note will just not do.

Regards (and signed)
Phil Jago Jag

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more.

C'mon MindArk, time to step up and sort these things out.

RTFM almost fits here :p They have allready said that they will compansate you for the lost points with drawing an average of your play time so nothing is lost and you save peds since you don't have to shoot for all the points. And regarding the 1pec compensation they gave a explanation on it.

So basically, nothing to see here, move on.

Last edited:
AFAIK the 1 pec compensation is automatic, as the system is designed to refund you the cost of a key when the instance crashes.

Agrees.

Steve Mischief Sunderland

RTFM almost fits here :p They have allready said that they will compansate you for the lots points with drawing an average of your play time so nothing is lost and you save peds since you don't have to shoot for all the points. And regarding the 1pec compensation they gave a explanation on it.

Just to make it clear;
I understand people will be compensated for lost points. I understand it saved me peds. As a matter of fact I could not give two squirts of a feeble goat's piss. I've finished MM, and the compensation of points is all well and good.
What gets me going (and many others) is why it's happening (and seems to be happening more and more often, oh and not to mention the lag either).
I like the way MM has been done this year, much better than other years, but the way this whole crashing thing has been handled is pretty poor form by MA. I made this post for the other participants of MM who are still going, and would like more answers. :)

I made this post for the other participants of MM who are still going, and would like more answers. :)

This is happening because there is too much traffic on the server's that run the instance based "games". Once the server reaches it's maximum capacity it has no choice but to restart... It should be happening less then it was when the instances were first introduced at the start of mayhem because they have since then increased the server capacity that ran the instances. I imagine that there are more crashes now because people are now finishing up Christmas and family time that they can really dig into grinding away on mobs so it is causing yet another increased server load causing them to reboot.

Yes, I would agree with you that this is unprofessional from a business standpoint; however, they have stated that they will compensate people for the lost points. This is, in my opinion, a saving grace for the company because at least they have identified the problems early on and have attempted to remidy the situation instead of doing what they did prior years for Merry Mayhem issues.

I would also like to add that as of recent the PR from MA and Calypso have been much better and I am much more happier... especially knowing that they do read the forums. i.e. when I started my "Return the fraction health" petition that they saw and then reversed due to an increased outrage over the issue.

~Daniml

<- Non MM participant.

Wise decision to put the Merry Mayhem server in the busiest area - ie Twin Peaks?

Hope this can be re-evaluated next year.

Life is about learning from your mistakes, you don't tend to play with knitting needles and plug sockets after the first mistake.

I used to hunt near Twin Peaks daily and got used to the crashes & relogs, but for something like Merry Mayhem - you cant just relog and carry on.

Hopefully...

:D:yay:
RTFM almost fits here :p They have allready said that they will compansate you for the lots points with drawing an average of your play time so nothing is lost and you save peds since you don't have to shoot for all the points. And regarding the 1pec compensation they gave a explanation on it.

All the server crashes r related to expanded player base and we can expect CLD payout to start marching Northward...even after MM

Brick

Just hope they can get their act together for next year.
They did well with this year, but the server issues were a real let down

But MM is not only about points, ok all good they refunding the points but there is way too much more to say.
Talking by myself, had happened twice for me, first time had like 5 minutes left, and second time was only 1 minute left, didn't even made a SC for that one. BUT, in 1 minute, i can hit something good and save the run from losing peds, i even had a couple globals in the last 10 minutes of the run, it can be the difference between a loosing run or a profitable one, so don't come and just say that its fine because they do compensate for the points. I know cases where they were half the hour when the server crashed and ended losing money... Like it has already been said, it was not a good idea to get the instances in the Twins server...

This is happening because there is too much traffic on the server's that run the instance based "games". Once the server reaches it's maximum capacity it has no choice but to restart...

Well, I don't know whose idea was it to put the MM telvators in Twins. I mean......... twins is already the most busiest, laggiest place... so why hold MM there? That's just asking for a server crash :).

Well, I don't know whose idea was it to put the MM telvators in Twins. I mean......... twins is already the most busiest, laggiest place... so why hold MM there? That's just asking for a server crash :).

Their logic was probably because Twins is the most well known and most trafficked TP so everybody had to have it. They also probably placed them there because out of all the other servers on Calypso Twins is the largest with second being Port Atlantis.. they just didn't expect so many people to be in the instances at once..

~Danimal

Their logic was probably because Twins is the most well known and most trafficked TP so everybody had to have it. They also probably placed them there because out of all the other servers on Calypso Twins is the largest with second being Port Atlantis.. they just didn't expect so many people to be in the instances at once..

~Danimal

Well, people born on other planets don't have Twins. I had to make that loooong journey from PA to Twins my first time on Caly. And i'm pretty sure people from other planets travelled to Caly just to participate in MM.

There are lots of TPs that everyone automatically gets, like New Oxford, some forts and capes. They could have put MM in New Oxford, and even more people would have access to it.

*sigh* it's just that, sometimes I wonder if what people tell me is true... that MA really does everything half-baked. And then the question becomes, do they do it on purpose because they're making so much money anyway, or whether they're really trying hard but stuff pans out half-baked anyway.

Unless you're talking about Twins itself crashing, it doesn't matter where they put the doorways; they could be at athena spaceport and they'd still crash. The instances run on completely separate server(s), and it is these other servers that are getting overloaded. I don't know why they haven't just programmed it to locked the doorway before overloading the instance server.... seems to me that would be a more logical solution. Anyway, I'm surprised this problem hasn't been fixed yet, since the exact same overloading crashes occurred in the Arkadia instances when they first came out, and that was way back in August or September. Considering that every time the servers crash they have 500 angry players, I'd have thought it would be a high priority.

I doubt they'll do anything extra atm, since the infrastructure upgrades comes in January.

For the record, I've crashed out of two team instances and haven't even gotten the 1 pec back. :laugh:

So to make ths clear, because I work at MA

The server is not on same server as Twin Peaks

Thin peaks is just a portal (link) to the MM server

If you look on the mao when you enter MM you will see that MM area is just SW of Amethera

there, done it, is it clear now?:) The crashes are due to high activity and maybe poor testing of the instances

I think its good they compensate some of the crashes, bc that's whats happening here. Once I crashed when a lot of others did as well and wasn't able to log back in. However, on two other occasions I've been kicked out and been able to log back in. Which is good in a way, but not in another. What I mean is that logging in again takes some time. Probably lost at least one minute each time. And afaik I won't be compensated for that.

So to make ths clear, because I work at MA

The server is not on same server as Twin Peaks

Thin peaks is just a portal (link) to the MM server

If you look on the mao when you enter MM you will see that MM area is just SW of Amethera

there, done it, is it clear now?:) The crashes are due to high activity and maybe poor testing of the instances

People are crashing just entering/standing in Twin Peaks, before they even enter the instance. You should not have to go to that godforsaken place to participate in Merry Mayhem.

People are crashing just entering/standing in Twin Peaks, before they even enter the instance. You should not have to go to that godforsaken place to participate in Merry Mayhem.

At least it keeps us having only one gods forsaken location, not two as traders and hangers on divide between the alternate MM location and Twins.

I wonder why they put all 8 doorways at one location... after all, Twins on a normal day is bad enough to cause crashes for some people.

RTFM almost fits here :p They have allready said that they will compansate you for the lost points with drawing an average of your play time so nothing is lost and you save peds since you don't have to shoot for all the points. And regarding the 1pec compensation they gave a explanation on it.

Agree with minim, so unless you looking for global count or looking for items I think MA will compensate nicely for a server crash. I do agree it was frustrating when I crashed out but things happen.

Possible issue is if you enter and you crash before you kill a mob, I am not sure if they use the average of all your other instance runs or use the current kill rate based on time in the current run. If you havn't killed a mob before a crash, if the later case, you would get 0 pts for that run and that 1 pec return doesn't compensate. If they use the average of all your other runs to compensate then all is good in my book.

Why?

Why would Mindark put anything at Twin Peaks ? :dunno:

The very worst place for crashes and lag :eyecrazy:

Great news to all: It's not just TP servers that are crashing! Seems to be all servers since we are having the same problems on Arkadia as well. Of course not as bad since not all that many people as on Calypso. I'm guessing the main problem with the crashes is due to the new systems MA is trying to add such as the Virtual-Tycoon app and other add-ons MA is working on not really testing or planning load/bugs out before releasing.

Signed btw :)

Great news to all: It's not just TP servers that are crashing! Seems to be all servers since we are having the same problems on Arkadia as well.

They are? Maybe it's just some users. I haven't heard of any crashes there lately... ?

Agreed

this 1 pec compensation is nothing more then a slap in the face sink say 10-15 ped into a Yulebot only to get dc then get 1 pec comp seriously? i hope we are going to get a better compensation

I like the crashes, saves me dmg enhancers & L armor :D

this 1 pec compensation is nothing more then a slap in the face sink say 10-15 ped into a Yulebot only to get dc then get 1 pec comp seriously? i hope we are going to get a better compensation

Wouldn't it be just to verify the crash in their logs for your ava easily at a later stage?

Back