Help: Windows 8 black screenshots

soundboy

Alpha
Society
cK
soundboy soundboy soundboy
I've just got a new pc and it came with win8 installed. While EU runs on 8 without any problems I do have an issue with any screenshot taken turning out completely black and there isn't the option to disable desktop composition under properties of the entropia.exe file. Has anybody managed to find a solution for this problem or have a suggestion I could try? I've googled it and so far I have not come up with anything apart from others having the same problem.

Thanks.

I've just got a new pc and it came with win8 installed. While EU runs on 8 without any problems I do have an issue with any screenshot taken turning out completely black and there isn't the option to disable desktop composition under properties of the entropia.exe file. Has anybody managed to find a solution for this problem or have a suggestion I could try? I've googled it and so far I have not come up with anything apart from others having the same problem.

Thanks.

Is this using full screen or windowed mode while playing? I have not been able to do full screen captures for a long time in windows 7, so wondering if that is what your experiencing.

Is this using full screen or windowed mode while playing? I have not been able to do full screen captures for a long time in windows 7, so wondering if that is what your experiencing.
Screenshots seem to work in windowed mode, but in full screen they are black. And he's right, in W7 there was a check box to disable desktop composition which fixed the issue, but the check box isn't there in W8. I too am wondering if there is a new solution for W8.

EDIT: This is using Entropia Tracker for screenshots.

Last edited:
The only way I have found so far is fraps! :)

Using Windows 8 and Fraps and works fine :)

Screenshots seem to work in windowed mode, but in full screen they are black. And he's right, in W7 there was a check box to disable desktop composition which fixed the issue, but the check box isn't there in W8. I too am wondering if there is a new solution for W8.

EDIT: This is using Entropia Tracker for screenshots.

where do you check that in windows 7? :)

where do you check that in windows 7? :)
You have to disable it for the application executable. This is separate from anything with the client loader. You'll find it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Entropia Universe\bin32\Entropia.exe. Right click, then go to Properties>Compatibility. From there, check Disable desktop composition.

UPDATE: Crap, it looks like this may not work on W8.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, desktop composition is disabled in a number of scenarios. In Windows 8, DWM desktop composition is a core operating system component and cannot be disabled.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848042(v=vs.85).aspx

So, we may be SOL for full screen. :(

Thanks for the input, seems it's either window mode or use something other than tracker to take screenshots. I like the automatic way tracker works best, I'll miss the swirlies if I have to push a button for sure. 1600X900 windowed for now then. I wish they would bring back the custom window size they removed yonks ago, a full width window with the windows task bar at the bottom was the best as far as I'm concerned. Then MA took a step backwards and removed it.

Being completely honest how a game can go on for so long without it's own screenshot facilities is fairly poor.

Thanks for the input, seems it's either window mode or use something other than tracker to take screenshots. I like the automatic way tracker works best, I'll miss the swirlies if I have to push a button for sure. 1600X900 windowed for now then. I wish they would bring back the custom window size they removed yonks ago, a full width window with the windows task bar at the bottom was the best as far as I'm concerned. Then MA took a step backwards and removed it.

Being completely honest how a game can go on for so long without it's own screenshot facilities is fairly poor.

As I wrote in another thread, CE has both screenshot and video grabing features, but reason
why EU don't have those options could be due to the kind of license they have for EU.
The less features they got the cheaper the license will be...

Back