How about a Real life as a space colonist? Mars One project needs astronauts for Mars in 2022

Ok, so let's for a moment imagine they manage to get there and survive all of the adversities.

What's to stop them from going "Ya know what? Screw all these cameras... *smash*"? Also, a very high probability for random weirdos who are ok with being sent on such a trip (no offense to anybody here who would be interested) to have underlying psychological conditions, which they may not even be aware of and could pass undetected in a psych evaluation, that could very well surface after a bit of forced cohabitation with other people that aren't even their relatives or friends and end up in suicide or mass murder.

I know the above goes for astronauts as well, but astronauts are usually handpicked from the military over years of observation, then years of training. Here they're just getting a bunch of people that sign up for it and doing a quick screening for the best. And their definition of best is probably more leaning towards the TV aspect than the astronaut aspect.

As far as i understood the article they are going to participate in a ten year training as well. Should be enough time to find out if there are issues preventing the organization to take this guy on Mars

I have been watching the mars one private operation to send people to the moon, via news articles and such for about 10 years (I read mars daily. com regularly) and very much expect to see colonization of mars with in my life time. (many governments are attempting to do this to just more quietly)

Mars one was started by some very rich people, they were originally going to sell tickets onto the mars one launch. Guess they found reality TV a better way to get the public's interest.

As some have said there are a lot of hurdles we have to overcome to make this work, and its sure an idea born of science fiction (as most new techs are).

However I believe we as a human species, either learn to leave this planet...or we die with it. Many comets are headed our way over the next 100 years. Many are of possible extinction size. Our sun has a finite life cycle, our planet is polluted and dying, our natural resources are depleted to the point wars are happening over the scraps.

and just past our easy reach, is mars...full of pure water (in quantities exceeding earths). There is gold and platinum and other minerals as well. Human pioneer spirit has never ever allowed mankind to look at water and not want to cross it to see whats on the other side, human greed has never allowed whats found on the other side of that water, to remain un-touched.

Space is our deep water, full of new challenges and dangers. but there is riches waiting, both economic and quality of life. We as humans simply have to make it happen, the alternative leaves us little choice I think.

I doubt I could qualify for this trip, and I am quite sure I would not be the best candidate for first landing. but once the domes are up, and the shuttles moving...sure I could see myself becoming a refugee to mars :)

I have been watching the mars one private operation to send people to the moon, via news articles and such for about 10 years (I read mars daily. com regularly) and very much expect to see colonization of mars with in my life time. (many governments are attempting to do this to just more quietly)

Mars one was started by some very rich people, they were originally going to sell tickets onto the mars one launch. Guess they found reality TV a better way to get the public's interest.

As some have said there are a lot of hurdles we have to overcome to make this work, and its sure an idea born of science fiction (as most new techs are).

However I believe we as a human species, either learn to leave this planet...or we die with it. Many comets are headed our way over the next 100 years. Many are of possible extinction size. Our sun has a finite life cycle, our planet is polluted and dying, our natural resources are depleted to the point wars are happening over the scraps.

and just past our easy reach, is mars...full of pure water (in quantities exceeding earths). There is gold and platinum and other minerals as well. Human pioneer spirit has never ever allowed mankind to look at water and not want to cross it to see whats on the other side, human greed has never allowed whats found on the other side of that water, to remain un-touched.

Space is our deep water, full of new challenges and dangers. but there is riches waiting, both economic and quality of life. We as humans simply have to make it happen, the alternative leaves us little choice I think.

I doubt I could qualify for this trip, and I am quite sure I would not be the best candidate for first landing. but once the domes are up, and the shuttles moving...sure I could see myself becoming a refugee to mars :)

Sorry...

Pure water /=/ life.

The planet is not "dying".

Isn't it surprising that these "many" extinction comets are all coming right now, in the next 100 years, when we haven't had one for a few hundred million years (which wasn't even an extinction).

Our sun's finite life cycle is a few more 10's of billions of years. I don't really think we need to fret too much.

Our planet is not polluted - and there are more natural resources left than have yet been expended. Wars have existed since the dawn of mankind - over a resource as simple as a stick. Would you have claimed the planet was near-death then?

As I said.

Fiiiiictiiiiiion.

Sorry...

Pure water /=/ life.

Isn't it surprising that these "many" extinction comets are all coming right now, in the next 100 years, when we haven't had one for a few hundred million years (which wasn't even an extinction).

Our sun's finite life cycle is a few more 10's of billions of years. I don't really think we need to fret too much.

Our planet is not polluted - and there are more natural resources left than have yet been expended. Wars have existed since the dawn of mankind - over a resource as simple as a stick. Would you have claimed the planet was near-death then?

As I said.

Fiiiiictiiiiiion.

Is there any advantage of leaning back and not doing something over just going for it and figuring things out along the way ?
Im sure noone would know of america if not some people had started to believe that the world is round and went to find india over an unusual way - regardless of the dangers they might encounter in the unknown.
Im glad that there is enough people at all times who have the spirit to just do stuff - even when most think that its not needed or impossible :)

No, but all it takes is one comet hitting home and we'd have a whole heap of trouble... or some kind of epidemic, or...

No, but all it takes is one comet hitting home and we'd have a whole heap of trouble... or some kind of epidemic, or...

Lets not forget the cern labratory was rumored to possibly create a black hole, which would then kill the planet in consequence ;)
So we better find a way to spread out before that :cool:

I personally think that the highest risk to planet earth's survival is mankind itself and therefor we should prepare ourself to be rdy to rescue our species for when we screw up.

Lets not forget the cern labratory was rumored to possibly create a black hole, which would then kill the planet in consequence ;)
So we better find a way to spread out before that :cool:

Hah, let's stick to scientifically possible doomsday types now :laugh:

Seriously tho, there are more and more stuff going on with pathogens and stuff... For example that thingy with the high mortality rate that some lab in the netherlands had modded to make it airborn, which would've been a disaster if it had been let out?

Not to sound rude Aio, but it is very arrogant to assume we are safe on Earth in any way :)

Sorry...

Pure water /=/ life.

As I said.

Fiiiiictiiiiiion.

no pure water does not = life :) (although it can support life)
I have a bottle of pure water on my desk atm, and I see no life in it

Pure water means, with out pollutions. all of earths water has background pollution in it, and its getting worse.

If you seriously dont think our planet is dying, take a look at background radiation levels now compared to 20 years ago and again 100 years ago..

no its not surprising that asteroid's and comets are heading here now, as the planet is pelted with asteroid debris almost daily, and its just a gamble when a "big" one will come....not much of a gamble really when you realize they are currently tracking 4 extinction lvl objects in route to our area. they named one of these rocks Apophis and expect it to near earth in 2029, many of the watchers say it could even hit, its a bit early to be sure they say. (but even a small object impact in the center of a virus research center could be very ugly for us)

and while the suns life cycle may not be of concern to us personally, it is to mankind and was just an example that if all we do is nothing..death awaits us as a species. maybe we do have 10million years til it dies (assuming no mathematical mistakes) but what if it takes mankind 9,000 to develop the tech needed to survive. (good thing we got started already!)

the concept of expanding to space..is simple
Never keep all your eggs in one basket :)

oh ps yes I would claim the earth is always one brief mistake away from death.

I think you've been watching too much sic-fi. Compared to anywhere else in our solar system and anywhere else we know about, earth is the most beautiful, safest, cleanest, most secure place to live in the universe. In fact, it's the only place that's remotely hospitable to life. Leaving earth because of potential "problems" like pollution or fear of comets is like cutting off your legs because you tripped over a shoelace.

Colonizing Mars is not the next step anyway. You'd need to build a successful colony on the moon or a large space station, and if you can't do that (humans haven't attempted either yet) then this project has no chance of success in a place where there are corrosive elements eating away at the thin barrier between you and death. Living on Mars is not living on a planet... it's living in a space station attached to a cold rock that actively works to kill you.

IF the reality show goes on (I don't take it seriously), AND they manage to actually get people over to Mars (again, unlikely), the elements, health problems, starvation, dehydration, poisoning, technology failure or madness are sure to force a premature end to season 1.

....earth is the most beautiful, safest, cleanest, most secure place to live in the universe.....
To our knowledge.

And if we don't look, don't explore, then we'll never know if thats the case or not.

Of course there are challenges, technological issues to overcome, danger to life. Do you not think it was the same when sea-farers first built boats to sail off in search of the "new worlds"?

I do wonder, however, how this reality TV show is meant to achieve this? (Unless I've misunderstood something) The budget, surely running into many billions of whatever currency you want to use, would be more than for any TV show.

I do wonder, however, how this reality TV show is meant to achieve this? (Unless I've misunderstood something) The budget, surely running into many billions of whatever currency you want to use, would be more than for any TV show.

I think they were planning on funding it with a mix of donated money, investments and advertising spots :dunno:

Maybe they have a webpage with more details?

I think you've been watching too much sic-fi.
Our entire generation has watched to much sci-fi, which leads us to invent such nifty things as the micro-wave oven, satellite communications, government space agencies, and now private owned space ships trying to do a reality tv show, in space.

Compared to anywhere else in our solar system and anywhere else we know about, earth is the most beautiful, safest, cleanest, most secure place to live in the universe. In fact, it's the only place that's remotely hospitable to life.
Agreed, it most certainly is...but I think it is unlikely to remain that way, with human occupation, indefinitely. I believe space provides us options we are foolish to ignore.

Colonizing Mars is not the next step anyway. You'd need to build a successful colony on the moon or a large space station, and if you can't do that (humans haven't attempted either yet) then this project has no chance of success in a place where there are corrosive elements eating away at the thin barrier between you and death. Living on Mars is not living on a planet... it's living in a space station attached to a cold rock that actively works to kill you.

I would think colonizing a planet, that has water and and other mineral resources, would be far easier than attempting to colonize a barren hollow moon. Its not a matter of distance, it becomes a matter of survivability. and the moon has nothing to offer. As for the dangers involved with the planet working against you, I totally agree its a uphill battle. but then every great discovery and exploration venture in our history has been.

IF the reality show goes on (I don't take it seriously), AND they manage to actually get people over to Mars (again, unlikely), the elements, health problems, starvation, dehydration, poisoning, technology failure or madness are sure to force a premature end to season 1.

Even if the reality show fails, I fully expect to see the MarsOne project to launch, they have to much vested at this point to turn back now. and all the dangers you express, were also expressed to the pilgrims sailing to America.

http://mars-one.com/en/

I think you've been watching too much sic-fi. Compared to anywhere else in our solar system and anywhere else we know about, earth is the most beautiful, safest, cleanest, most secure place to live in the universe. In fact, it's the only place that's remotely hospitable to life. Leaving earth because of potential "problems" like pollution or fear of comets is like cutting off your legs because you tripped over a shoelace.

I agree. Besides, if even colonizing Antartica is already proving to be quite the challenge, what's to say we're even remotely capable of doing so on another planet? It's like trying to qualify for the olympics without even being able to beat your 70 year old neighbor.

http://mars-one.com/en/

They are planning to send a mission to Mars with supplies first with stuff like the living modules and bossible building materials. Then a rover to check out the surroundings and after that more modules and materials, those will start water and oxygen production. Then the first batch of people to set things up and then in a steady stream send more people and equipment to Mars.

Our entire generation has watched to much sci-fi, which leads us to invent such nifty things as the micro-wave oven, satellite communications, government space agencies, and now private owned space ships trying to do a reality tv show, in space.

Aye, also looking forward to the Planetary Resources project that James Cameron, Larry Page and some others are involved in :)

They are planning on establishing a fuel depot in space by 2020, develop cheap lightweight space telescopes and start mining asteroids not too far into the future :)

If a large comet or asteroid were to come along and smack into the Earth...

And if it were so large that it could somehow kill most of the inhabitants of the planet, knock off our atmosphere, kick billions of tons of dust into the remaining atmosphere, destroy the magnetosphere and ozone layer, kill off all vegetation, kill off all bacteria (both harmful and beneficial), erase the oceans, and knock so much of the planet mass off that gravity was only 1/3 of what it is now.....

We would be just like Mars!!

(and....someone would blame it all on global warming)

If a large comet or asteroid were to come along and smack into the Earth...

And if it were so large that it could somehow kill most of the inhabitants of the planet, knock off our atmosphere, kick billions of tons of dust into the remaining atmosphere, destroy the magnetosphere and ozone layer, kill off all vegetation, kill off all bacteria (both harmful and beneficial), erase the oceans, and knock so much of the planet mass off that gravity was only 1/3 of what it is now.....

We would be just like Mars!!

(and....someone would blame it all on global warming)
damn humvees!! :)

Back