Bulk changes to Entropedia - discussion

Status

Serica

Society
Antipodean Army
Harena Serica Turbinis
I don't know if anyone else has noticed yet, but there's been some pretty significant changes made to Entropedia in the past few days. I've not seen any discussion about it anywhere, so thought I'd raise it here for the record.

Maps - There is now a 'Calypso' map, as well as the Amethera and Eudoria and islands maps. The user who added it has also added all the revives and towns etc. and seems to be in the process of moving the data like mob locations, mission brokers etc etc.

Planet sources - The same user has changed the 'Found on' column info for many items - included crafted components - from 'Entropia Universe' to 'Calypso'. On some items, some other planets have been shown too, but for example, looking at Entropedia, one might think that Vibrant Sweat is only found on Calypso, and Weapon Cells are no longer available on Rocktropia. :scratch2:

I'm not suggesting that any of this is 'wrong' per se, but it does leave a lot of potential for confusion with other users and those updating the tables.

For example - Now that there is a Calypso map, should all future updates only be done on that map and the smaller maps for the islands and individual continents be deleted once all data is moved ?

Do we really need to list every individual planet for items that are available on EVERY planet (eg sweat), and for items that can be crafted anywhere ?

Last edited:
Sounds like a welcome improvement to me. Having everything on one map helps out a lot and saves time. I don't think I'd look at the smaller maps now since I can just zoom in on the part I want to look at on big overall map. So yes, the older maps I think will become redundant.

Not sure what you meant by do we really need to list. List what? and where?

Do we really need to list every individual planet for items that are available on EVERY planet (eg sweat), and for items that can be crafted anywhere ?

Would be better to make new category for those, e.g. "Generic" or maybe "Shared" so we know those items are generic to all planets. A planet may however decide not to have them so it's not easy as saying "All" because it's possible some such item may not appear on a particular planet.

Would be better to make new category for those, e.g. "Generic" or maybe "Shared" so we know those items are generic to all planets. A planet may however decide not to have them so it's not easy as saying "All" because it's possible some such item may not appear on a particular planet.

Until now, all 'generic' items have been shown as 'Entropia Universe', to indicate that they are available on all planets - ie the item is available to be looted/mined/crafted/picked up/bought from TT etc on EVERY planet.

What has happened in the past 2 weeks is that one user has decided (without discussion) to change many of the generic items to only show 'Planet Calypso'. In a few isolated instances, eg Weapon Cells, more than one planet (but not all) have been listed for the where an item may be found.

Fruit for example is now apparently only found on Calypso :scratch2:

The base maps are being removed now by the same user.

Volcano Islands and Medusa maps have gone already.

And no, the mobs spawns aren't all being moved to the 'Calypso' map. Get used to lots of blanks appearing in the tables. Even more once the Eudoria and Amethera maps get switched off.

The base maps are being removed now by the same user.

Volcano Islands and Medusa maps have gone already.

And no, the mobs spawns aren't all being moved to the 'Calypso' map. Get used to lots of blanks appearing in the tables. Even more once the Eudoria and Amethera maps get switched off.

See this is why i proposed that we have MA maintained wikipedia - at least about items statistics. Notice what the mess will happen if the "bad" users start editing/removing items info (i.e.: jester D-1 super eco gun with 2.99 dmg/pec?). Also notice that MA is actually making links on PCF that Entropedia.info is good information place. There are so many places there where the info is either wrong or old or misleading that my head hurts (and some of them can't even be fixed by playerbase because it needs admin fixes).

And i am sure there are few nice people like you Serica that try and watch this and alarm/corect if something is happening out of ordinary but this way at least some "bad" info still will slip in - no matter how many "good angels" watching this trying to prevent.

I understand that things like loottables or spawn maps should be gathered by players because those are key things to markup = profit (and shared on sites or not with others). But item statistics - those should be reliable for everyone. Newbie destinated for that site most likely won't be doing decay tests on everything - so he/she may end up doing something really wrong (unless having good mentor).

Falagor
:bandit:

See this is why i proposed that we have MA maintained wikipedia - at least about items statistics. Notice what the mess will happen if the "bad" users start editing/removing items info (i.e.: jester D-1 super eco gun with 2.99 dmg/pec?). Also notice that MA is actually making links on PCF that Entropedia.info is good information place. There are so many places there where the info is either wrong or old or misleading that my head hurts (and some of them can't even be fixed by playerbase because it needs admin fixes).

And i am sure there are few nice people like you Serica that try and watch this and alarm/corect if something is happening out of ordinary but this way at least some "bad" info still will slip in - no matter how many "good angels" watching this trying to prevent.

I understand that things like loottables or spawn maps should be gathered by players because those are key things to markup = profit (and shared on sites or not with others). But item statistics - those should be reliable for everyone. Newbie destinated for that site most likely won't be doing decay tests on everything - so he/she may end up doing something really wrong (unless having good mentor).

Falagor

I'm sure the user making these changes is sincerely attempting to improve the site. Unfortunately, they're doing so in a way that means we're also inevitably losing some information gathered over time by other users.

I guess I'm surprised that noone else seems to find it worth discussing whether all these changes are an improvement or not.

For example, in regard to the use of a single map for Calypso, I have some practical issues:
1. One of my personal projects started after WoF ended last year has been to update mob locations as I come across them. Trying to position the polygon points accurately is far harder on the Calypso map than on the Eudoria/Amethera/etc maps, simply because you can't zoom in to the same level of magnification. The Calypso map is only 3072x3072 pixels compared to the 2048x2048 pixels for the Eudoria map.
You'll find the existing maps are 512x512 per server square, so that Calypso map should really be 4608x4608.
2. Over 1/2 of the Calypso map is ocean, so empty - 50 of 81 server squares are 'ocean'. Before it was only 3 of 34.
3. We're now trying to display the same information into about 1/4 of the space. If you look at a mob page, the Eudoria chart is 4 x 4 'server squares', the Amethera one 5x5. The Calypso one however is 9x9, crammed into the same size display. So now, unless a mob spawn polygon is about the size of an LA or so, you can barely SEE it on the small map. For smaller mob spawns you can make out 1 or 2 pixels, if you know exactly where to look.
4. When they took the screenshots for the Calypso map, they didn't turn off the map coloration for Land Areas/PVP etc, so now you can see almost no detail whatever under the green/yellow/red wash.

I noticed this user rampaging through the tables a while back too.

I'm sure s/he does have good intentions, but perhaps we could ask Witte to do a mass rollback of all of this user's edits?

Is there anyone who has regular contact with Witte? Are there any other users who have full site privileges? If not could we ask him to nominate some as I'm not sure he really actively plays the game any more.

I noticed this user rampaging through the tables a while back too.

I'm sure s/he does have good intentions, but perhaps we could ask Witte to do a mass rollback of all of this user's edits?

Is there anyone who has regular contact with Witte? Are there any other users who have full site privileges? If not could we ask him to nominate some as I'm not sure he really actively plays the game any more.

This is te problem: Witte last visit - 01-19-2013 13:14.

I attach my ask too - if someone has contact with him - please ask
him to re-do the implants section. Whole mindforce section seems to be messed up now.

Falagor

...Are there any other users who have full site privileges? If not could we ask him to nominate some as I'm not sure he really actively plays the game any more.

There is a 'trusted user' group, and these have additional privileges on the site.
For example, they can add new charts and columns with the Chart Management page, and also 'lock' the data in certain fields to prevent further changes once verified, including stuff like decay on weapons or mob max damage.

I was initially part of that group, but asked to be removed, as I felt others with more technical knowledge and expertise like JimmyB, Oleg etc were better suited to help out in that way.

I make no claim whatever to being a wiki expert :) I've learned how to do the things I do on Entropedia mostly by trial and error, one careful step at a time.

I like the improvements so far BUT... who got rid of "Planet Cyrene" as a choice from the front page? now just 4 planets, I had to check my space map to see if Cyrene has asploded.

While waiting for the VU tonight, I've uploaded a new Calypso map to address issues 1 & 4 above (ie the pvp/la's not being turned off when creating base map, and also map size).

It seemed to update OK and is showing as normal in the Gallery and the minimap in the Base Maps table, but now I'm not getting any of the base maps loading in the Locations page.

PM and email sent to Witte for him to check.

While waiting for the VU tonight, I've uploaded a new Calypso map to address issues 1 & 4 above (ie the pvp/la's not being turned off when creating base map, and also map size).

It seemed to update OK and is showing as normal in the Gallery and the minimap in the Base Maps table, but now I'm not getting any of the base maps loading in the Locations page.

PM and email sent to Witte for him to check.

omg you broke Maps & Locations. :lam:

Tables and entries all look normal, but yeah, seems to be a break somewhere between the Gallery and Locations display as it's not just the 1 map I uploaded that isn't working, it's all of them (at least for me).

I'm assuming only Witte can fix that, but if 'Trusted' group have access to it, maybe one of them will take a look.

Maps have been fixed. Bless you Witte! :)

The minimap for Calypso on a Creature page still isn't displaying right now, but perhaps he's still working on it. If no improvement tomorrow night, I'll contact him again.

As there's no point having stuff now spread over 3 maps, I'll start moving the Eudoria and Amethera info over onto the Calypso map, as I come across it. Don't expect this to be done in a short time!

Last edited:
I've now moved all the datapoints that were on the Medusa and Volcano Island maps where the links were broken when the maps were summarily removed a while back.

Next project will be to move the data points from the Eudoria and Amethera maps onto the Calypso map, starting with the mob locations. I'll move all the spawns for 1 mob at a time. This may take some time to complete, but I'll continue to plug away at it whenever there's time.

Slight change in plan - moving the LA's and their linked mobs over to the Calypso map first, one LA at a time.

It seems 3 pixels got cropped off the left side of the map - I've fixed my copy, but having trouble getting it to upload again. I'll try again when less people are likely to be using the site, as I think it's just timing out.

I appreciate you monitoring the changes and trying to fix the deficiencies. (must spread rep around blah blah.) I've found the map-related information to be really inaccurate and hard to use lately and i guess i know why now.

We also need an admin to change the weapon chart due to the new pro standing --> HA rules.

I appreciate you monitoring the changes and trying to fix the deficiencies. (must spread rep around blah blah.) I've found the map-related information to be really inaccurate and hard to use lately and i guess i know why now.

We also need an admin to change the weapon chart due to the new pro standing --> HA rules.

Witte said he'll be unavailable for a month or so. I think any of the 'Trusted User' group can do that (at least in theory) as they have the authority to add extra columns, and presumably remove columns too.

I've asked Witte to put me back in that group again, as it's not always convenient to track someone else down when things need to be changed, but I don't think he'll be able to action that til he returns home.

I've just tried uploaded the corrected map again .. still no go. I'll try again during the 'quiet time' later on. :computer:

And now we have a user (hikro) who goes through the loot tables and updates to the last VU everything that requires a single button click (i.e. neither rare, extremely rare, nor event). This includes items that no longer drop – old L MF chips and components (scanning sensors, target assessment units etc) – see araneatrox for the example.

Can someone ban him and revert the changes?

And now we have a user (hikro) who goes through the loot tables and updates to the last VU everything that requires a single button click (i.e. neither rare, extremely rare, nor event). This includes items that no longer drop – old L MF chips and components (scanning sensors, target assessment units etc) – see araneatrox for the example.

Can someone ban him and revert the changes?

AFAIK only Witte can ban someone and do a bulk reversion.
Hikro (full ava name: Osie Hikro Bard) has only registered that account today, so it might be worth trying to contact him and having a chat rather than suggesting he be banned.
While it's a bit tedious undoing individual entries, it can be done fairly easily.
(Just looked and OMG there's 16pages of entries he's done ...)

The good news is I got that darn map to upload at last ! :D

AFAIK only Witte can ban someone and do a bulk reversion.
Hikro (full ava name: Osie Hikro Bard) has only registered that account today, so it might be worth trying to contact him and having a chat rather than suggesting he be banned.
While it's a bit tedious undoing individual entries, it can be done fairly easily.
(Just looked and OMG there's 16pages of entries he's done ...)
I'm usually all for the "innocent until proven guilty" but I don't think this is the case. I might try to write to him if I find a way without using expletives :laugh: And yes, a couple of pages you can undo but 16 is a bit too much.

I've undone all hikro's entries now (other than his own avatar page).

I've also sent him a friend request ingame.

Last edited:
Downfall said:
I'm usually all for the "innocent until proven guilty" but I don't think this is the case. I might try to write to him if I find a way without using expletives And yes, a couple of pages you can undo but 16 is a bit too much.

Contacted hikro ingame, he said his friend also uses his computer and did the Entropedia changes - hikro only registered the account and added his ava page. He's said that in future, he'll be the only one updating the site. I suggested logging out of the account when he's not using it himself.

All Amethera Land Areas now moved to the Calypso map, together with their associated creatures and resources.

Next: Estate Areas and Places

Estates & Places all relocated, also all Roads and Racetracks.

Next: Outposts & POIs

Hehe sorry for using your thread but dodnt think it as worth it to create a new and this one was active.

Just noticed that the decay listed for the tk320 finder on entropedia is wrong, decay tested for 69 drop and got 1,49ped decay ~2,16pec/drop and not 4,303 as listed*. Dunno if this 2x decay is wrong for more finders? (might be tested while dualdropping?)

If som1 wanna retry this and add the correct values would be very helpful ty :)

Hehe sorry for using your thread but dodnt think it as worth it to create a new and this one was active.

Just noticed that the decay listed for the tk320 finder on entropedia is wrong, decay tested for 69 drop and got 1,49ped decay ~2,16pec/drop and not 4,303 as listed*. Dunno if this 2x decay is wrong for more finders? (might be tested while dualdropping?)

If som1 wanna retry this and add the correct values would be very helpful ty :)

History for that item shows that Xen added the decay info in 2007 and confirmed it by fruit test in 2009, so before the mining system changes. I'll send him a pm and ask him to take a look at this and comment.

Status
Back