TUTORIAL: How to identify unrecognized names on your Friends List

Shard-Angel

Prowler
Society
Project Entropia
Vehshi Rogue Shard-Angel
Greets.

Every now and we get some unrecognized names on our friends list - and have no clue as to who they might be.

This can happen for various reasons: we can get friends requests after a group session, or people getting in touch when we're offline for forum trades, shop enquiries, mentorship, social, crafter/suppliers, etc.

Currently, we have to relogin to even see a newly be-friended name - we end up seeing the new names at our next login - which might be a few days later.

What we usually see is just the MIDDLE name of the added avatar. This is the source of a lot of confusion (In my case it shows up as: ROGUE - and people have absolutely no clue who that is! :scratch2:).

Some folks might be embarrassed to ask: "Hi. I have you on FL but have no clue who you are?!!!" ...which is quite understandable..... it's not nice if someone forgets you in 24 hours?!!! (Not me! Honest!! ;) )

Best way to avoid awkward situations, and identify them, is as follows:

* So now we have a strange name on our Friends List.....
who_is_it_friends_list.jpg

* Check Player Register - if its a unique name, you could possibly find them. But in this case:
who_is_it_player_register.jpg

As you can see... this does not tell us much about that person.

* Best to wait till they are offline .....and send them a message:
who_is_it_hello_01.jpg

who_is_it_hello-02.jpg

* The System will give you an error message in Chat with their full name revealed! :D
who_is_it_revealed.jpg

Remember, best practice is to Right-Click and RENAME contact so you can remember them 1 year later:
eg. ARK-Crafter-ASI20: Name Middlename Lastname

Hope this helps! :)

Great tip.

I had several dozen avatars middle names added a while ago with the friend list fix and some of them were probably players that I only chatted to a few times before they quit back in 2008-9.

This will help a lot in identifying the full names of people so I dont delete anyone active by accident.

:thumbup:

Slick the Ruler. :thumbup:

Or when they are offline send them a PM with just a letter in and in main chat it gives you their full name :)

Or if you actually want to save time, no offense to original post.

You just remove the name, then open a PM box.

(Right click, rename, delete all the name, save it. Close it, open it up again, and there is the name, then just use rename again to re-add, takes 10 seconds tops)

Valla, the full name is shown

{removed}

I love you!!

I have all these names and I don't know who they are and like you said, I don't want to message them and ask:laugh:

Thanks for the great tip. And I agree, Sticky it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Or if you actually want to save time, no offense to original post.

You just remove the name, then open a PM box.

(Right click, rename, delete all the name, save it. Close it, open it up again, and there is the name, then just use rename again to re-add, takes 10 seconds tops)

Valla, the full name is shown

Good find. To clarify what you said a little:

1) edit the friend's name to be blank
2) double click the (now blank) line in your FL to open a PM window
3) full name is displayed at the top of the PM window

Did not think about that message thingie, nice.
I had someone on FL, who whenever logged in, couldn't be found on player register as being online (plenty of hits on the search but player register said they were all offline).
Was wondering, do you see peeps online in your FL when they use the mobile app, but don't show up on player register?

that is AWESOME!!! :wtg: :wtg: :wtg:

you dont have a clue how many ppl I got on my FL with the SAME middle name like:

lady
angel
devil
black

or even worse VERY useless middle names like:

of
de
in
out

.. most of them happend when the FL handling was changed, I had them all with full name there and all of a sudden everyone was just showing up with the middle name :yay:hurray:yay:

Did not think about that message thingie, nice.
I had someone on FL, who whenever logged in, couldn't be found on player register as being online (plenty of hits on the search but player register said they were all offline).
Was wondering, do you see peeps online in your FL when they use the mobile app, but don't show up on player register?

in your game options you can set

a) if you appear in the player register
b) if you show your online status in the player register

he could be hidden completely or just his on/off status.

in your game options you can set

a) if you appear in the player register
b) if you show your online status in the player register

he could be hidden completely or just his on/off status.
Ooooh right... there's that option too.

Thanks for the tip.

I must point out that this is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place!
If the retards that "improved" the friends list had left it to display full names by default, and let us edit to our liking afterwards, we would not have this issue. I not impressed that they haven't thought a putting the simple option of "revert to full name".

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you

shard angel

One small problem arises with searching the player register u need 4 letters in a name to search. I added Alice the other week and she showed up as "in" on my FL (Alice in wonderland) i had to pm her cos i was baffled on the name i had and no show in player register lol

just great

Great tutorial, finally I know everyone in my FL. :wtg:

Greets.

Every now and we get some unrecognized names on our friends list - and have no clue as to who they might be.

This can happen for various reasons: we can get friends requests after a group session, or people getting in touch when we're offline for forum trades, shop enquiries, mentorship, social, crafter/suppliers, etc.

Currently, we have to relogin to even see a newly be-friended name - we end up seeing the new names at our next login - which might be a few days later.

What we usually see is just the MIDDLE name of the added avatar. This is the source of a lot of confusion (In my case it shows up as: ROGUE - and people have absolutely no clue who that is! :scratch2:).

Some folks might be embarrassed to ask: "Hi. I have you on FL but have no clue who you are?!!!" ...which is quite understandable..... it's not nice if someone forgets you in 24 hours?!!! (Not me! Honest!! ;) )

Best way to avoid awkward situations, and identify them, is as follows:

* So now we have a strange name on our Friends List.....
who_is_it_friends_list.jpg

* Check Player Register - if its a unique name, you could possibly find them. But in this case:
who_is_it_player_register.jpg

As you can see... this does not tell us much about that person.

* Best to wait till they are offline .....and send them a message:
who_is_it_hello_01.jpg

who_is_it_hello-02.jpg

* The System will give you an error message in Chat with their full name revealed! :D
who_is_it_revealed.jpg

Remember, best practice is to Right-Click and RENAME contact so you can remember them 1 year later:
eg. ARK-Crafter-ASI20: Name Middlename Lastname

Hope this helps! :)

niiiice :D, thanks i've always wanted to know if there is a way to get the full name of the people on my fl

Back