Wof 2013?

aia

Marauder
For my team, I wonder when the next round of WoF is planned to go - if it's starting now (Before summer) or if it will be posponed to after the summer.

Maybe it's getting a bit late to start WoF now in the spring; if you take one month of recruitment, one month of qualifiers, one month of matchers and one month of finals we're into vacation time.

I personally think a lot of people will not mind if it was postponed to 2014.
With WoF ending just before a long mayhem and the TEN event just started i think people would like a break.

Cheers
Siam

I wont mind either if it only started in August ;)

I would like to start recruitment tho... so please moderators give us a 2013 section

In case you missed it, hurricane wrote this in another thread:

Still got time to have an earlier one than last year; having it start in February or even March seemed way too soon after WoF 2012, I think to progress back to an early WoF next year we're gonna have to start this one in the summer.

Hurrikane

Just adding to bump up this thread.

I wonder, could moderators create a 2013 subforum, and if it's delayed to 2014 then simply rename it?

We at team Africa would also like to see this, we would like to start recruiting 2013/2014 or whatever.

Yeah, WoF PEW PEW~

Also... wtf is up with DACH? What have these countries got to do with each other? Was it just "I guess we all speak German, lets make a team cos we aren't good enough on our own". Same for BeNeLux, who do the poor Lichtensteiners play for??

Yeah, WoF PEW PEW~

Also... wtf is up with DACH? What have these countries got to do with each other? Was it just "I guess we all speak German, lets make a team cos we aren't good enough on our own". Same for BeNeLux, who do the poor Lichtensteiners play for??

I know right?

We at team Africa would also like to see this, we would like to start recruiting 2013/2014 or whatever.

Despite increasing our scope to Africa as a whole, all of our members were still from RSA :silly2:. (Well there was that one egyptian guy who I could never get hold of).

Clearly we need to increase our scope for the next one.

Team Middle East and Africa?
Team BRICS?
Team Former British Colonies?
Team Third World Countries?
Team Southern Hemisphere?

Wait, I've got it:

Team PWBTSAOALSAP (People Who've Been To South Africa Or At Least Seen A Picture) :)

I know right?

Despite increasing our scope to Africa as a whole, all of our members were still from RSA :silly2:. (Well there was that one egyptian guy who I could never get hold of).

Clearly we need to increase our scope for the next one.

Team Middle East and Africa?
Team BRICS?
Team Former British Colonies?
Team Third World Countries?
Team Southern Hemisphere?

Wait, I've got it:

Team PWBTSAOALSAP (People Who've Been To South Africa Or At Least Seen A Picture) :)

Lol love it :D ... PS our Egyptian member is online again ... but ye we are mostly South Africans hehe

Planed for late Summer

I spoke with Hurrikane recently about this and the plan is for a WOF starting late summer, I believe he is currently in the process of planning it out. I will be interviewing him on my radio show (Atlas Haven Radio - Sundays 18.00 - 21.00) in the coming weeks about the WOF in general.

Yeah, WoF PEW PEW~

My personal opinion is that it's good because when it's smaller countries joining a big one, it gives the smaller countries a real chance of being part of a strong team. Sure, it takes away a bit of the competition between nations, but in some cases maybe the team spirit overwins this. In other cases, in reality, some countries have pretty hard bonds over the borders (for instance (half of) Belgium -> Holland and I think Belgium and Luxemburg historically have worked together. I can also imagine the opposite part: An old nation that's in reality being eaten by a neighbour but nevertheless has a different kind of spirit and thus doesn't want to fight for/under the name of the Big Brother.

When it's across the border would be if several strong nations/conglomerats would join in an unnatural way, for instance if USA and Germany would create one team.

A team like Africa+Middle East wouldn't probably be of any major problem as unfair competition, but for instance timezone difference and probably language barriers (let's say French/Arabic vs English) might cause a minor problem to make it possible to keep the "team spirit". But I wouldn't be against such a team as long as it's fairly balanced. My guess would be that in the future there would be an "Arabic" team - it wouldn't surprice me if there could be several strong players in the "gulf states" (around UAE and Qatar), and coming to mind the new planet Toulan.

Even if we would prohibit for instance Dach it would only make a difference to, on the paper, what flag the mainteam would fight under. As supportteams (and mainteam supportshooters) isn't regulated "we" wouldn't be able to do anything if WoF Germany Swizerland Support team is created, for instance. Or if the "German" team, internally, allows swiss players and calls themselves "DACH" on other places beside when it comes to official use (team registration and main team naming in matches).

Again, this is just my personal view I don't speak for my team here.

Last edited:
Hope I will make this one.

:sniper:

Still deciding. Lot of changes to the game itself to deal with, timing is all shot up this year after the late one in 2012 and the events MA seem to drop on us on an almost weekly basis (not that I'm complaining, nice one with the egg etc). Was my aim to do 10 in a row at least and to skip a year would somewhat dent that record, so expect something to happen by the end of the year; possibly a streamlined WoF with less rounds but no less spectacle, I assure you.

Thanks again to PCF for their continued support of the WoF, and all those who have fought, judged, sponsored or just enjoyed the fireworks.

See you soon.

Hurrikane

....so expect something to happen by the end of the year; possibly a streamlined WoF with less rounds but no less spectacle, I assure you.

Streamlined sounds good, can't wait!

Can't wait to come back into WOF again...I missed the superior achievement of WOF Benelux last time. :(

I do think that after summer would be a good/better idea. Though I have no knowledge of an expected major update, EU does have a history of mixing things up in August :)

(can we have *looks at solo global list* erm, Fugabarba elite stalker, gibnib elite stalker and chirpy elite stalker and request return of Turp in erm... elite stalker form pls =P)

Also Cornundos stalker/elite would rock, some Calamusoid would rock, the usual insects would rock.

I LUFF IT!!

To make a 10 year anniversary, would it be possible to do a special, slimmed down version of it?

To make it easier, maybe just one, two or three matches, no registration on mainteam members; each nation can get as many members they want in their main and support teams, and with just the honor at stake. Maybe with the help of MA, we could get a mission handing out (repairable) zero-TT WoF 2013 cap to all participants.

All matches within Calypso "global zone".

The WoF is due to start promotion and recruitment soon for a start in February next year. Having the Tournament later in the year has proved less popular and to leave a suitable gap I've made WoF 2013 into WoF 2014, or WoF 7 if you like.

There will be a few changes I'm hoping will keep everyone happy; Support Teams will be more heavily capped, right up to the Final, giving smaller teams a better chance. Support scoring will largely be based on Variety rather than Quantity to limit expenditure. There will be less rounds (five instead of six) also. Other things remain the same; three-hour matches, live Judges, Jackets for the winners and all that jazz.

Glad to see there's people ready to WoF!

Hurrikane

Glad to see there's people ready to WoF!

I see you have thought over support which is hijacked historically to accommodate greater score with capping. I have to agree with this given it is population/participant driven..... I'm not sure leaving it to the final as an uncapping creates the same response but should be left as is, I suspect your hoping others from loosing teams will join up winning teams and bang away. (did I get this notion right)

Variety would create a support need to be mindful of what they are doing as such making sure who directs them and has good game knowledge/visa versa.

Less rounds I think could be condensed even more as quickie. But I expect you'll attract the usual suspects to main teams therefore perhaps a moot point allowing the attraction of support participation (dependant on how support is enticed).

I'd say this could be one of the lowest participating WoF initiatives , but then that could be one of the best :)

Limiting expenditure is good. I also think having two year gaps between tournaments is a good thing, although I suspect that wasn't really intentional. The phrase "less-is-more" springs to mind.

One thing that would be great is if the tournament was finished Before the summer, preferably in may. From the middle of june, the schools starts to end and people start to take vacations, with "midsummer" eve in between.

February-May looks favourite.

Hurrikane

Yeah, WoF PEW PEW~

Says mr UK. England, Wales, or Scotland? Make up your mind.. and then another one, are you people on that silly island part of Europe?

You do know we conquered you silly lot in the year 400?

If it ain't Dutch.. it ain't much..

Says mr UK. England, Wales, or Scotland? Make up your mind.. and then another one, are you people on that silly island part of Europe?

That was a one-off because it was Olympic year and we were the hosts, and as you may know our home nations participate as a Great Britain team.

Personally I have no problem with dach, benelux etc., because it's all about having fun. :)

Yeah, WoF PEW PEW~

I do agree.

Having those multiple countries teams is not fair for other, smaller teams. There should be only teams for one country allowed.
Otherwise should it be allowed teams like Scandinavia, CentralEuropean, SlavicNations, SpanishLanguages... etc? This would be ridiculous, so why not keep it simple and not allow this joint venture teams?

I do agree.

Having those multiple countries teams is not fair for other, smaller teams. There should be only teams for one country allowed.
Otherwise should it be allowed teams like Scandinavia, CentralEuropean, SlavicNations, SpanishLanguages... etc? This would be ridiculous, so why not keep it simple and not allow this joint venture teams?

Smaller teams were dropping out and complaining that they couldn't field a large enough side to be competitive. Some of them asked if they could form combined teams as their individual numbers were small, so I agreed.

Please tell me how that is unfair to smaller teams.

Hurrikane

I do agree.

You don't get out much do you....lol You do realize that WOF is actually THE event that actually embraces the GAME part of EU right???

It's already unfair for smaller countries. Always has been. Small countries compete but only to show face and show up cause it's THE best event in EU....frankly it beats the hell out of ever event MA make.

If a country that has a small compliment wants to join and make an alliance with another stronger bigger country what the fuck is the difference? Big teams usually recruit players from smaller teams after they get beat out anyway...why not skip all that shit and just go all in off the start?

As long as the teams are made before competition starts, I don't see a problem. Like real wars, let those that choose to be allies be allies.
Unless you're going to start checking nationalities with I.d's you're just flapping your gums anyway.

I say let everyone choose a team and then let the best team win. :)

On a side note,
Cheers Hurricane....WOF is about the only thing at this point that could actually get me to log in and shoot a bit I think...I actually get excited when I think about WOF...i'll watch the forums to see if it's worth dropping in for the premier EU event. :)

I do agree.

So you'd rather have a few strong teams and a bunch of weak teams so you can beat the snot out of some small teams before you get the shit beaten out of you by the big boys?

There's clinical names for that....:laugh:

I've not taken part in WoF before, when do the Teams form up?

Dirk

Back