Idea for hangar use

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
OK so just thought of a way to make hangars useful:

Getting escape velocity (I.E. moving vehicle from planet to space) costs XX oil (say, 15 ped TT)

Pilot launching w/ a hangar deed bypasses that cost.

OK, don't just tell me what a bad idea it is. Tell me why and come up with your own idea(s).

EDIT (taken from one ofmy later posts below):
I simply want to encourage discussion about the hangar issue and get others to propose alternative ideas.

Maybe, just maybe, MA will see these ideas and if not implement them directly, they will spark ideas of their own and do those instead.

In that case, mission accomplished.

Last edited:
OK so just thought of a way to make hangars useful:

Getting escape velocity (I.E. moving vehicle from planet to space) costs XX oil (say, 15 ped TT)

Pilot launching w/ a hangar deed bypasses that cost.

OK, don't just tell me what a bad idea it is. Tell me why and come up with your own idea(s).
In other words - you offering to increase price for leaving planet Calypso (since only it have Hangars now) in 150 times for all (current cost 10 PEC decay of Space Thruster) and "profit" for Hangar owner will be ability to bypass that cost, since he have deed? :scratch2:

I understand that right?
And what with summoning?

Wouldn't it be better just to allow landing/launching of Privateers (and maybe Motherships), like it was before for hangar owners.

Wouldn't it be better just to allow landing/launching of Privateers (and maybe Motherships), like it was before for hangar owners.

I guess he's talking exactly about privateers and an ability for them to land and launch, for free for those who also have hangars. But what the point of landing (except for "it's cool") as long as there is summoning. And taking that away would be a serious nerf.

I guess he's talking exactly about privateers and an ability for them to land and launch, for free for those who also have hangars.
Not sure, it's unclear from OP, since he was talk about "vehicles" not about "spaceships". So still waiting for reply.

But what the point of landing (except for "it's cool") as long as there is summoning. And taking that away would be a serious nerf.
Main points of landing for Privateers/Motherships:
1) Cheaper way to transfer lootable items (for those, who doing that) - now it cost 10 PED to TP from Space Station to planet. That way Pilot could ask cheaper price and at the same time will have some additional profit.
2) Regular (using vehicle) landing now not free as well - it cost 2.1 PED, so it could be cheaper that way too.

Both of these will some concurrent advantages to space ship owners with hangars against vehicles.

Well, I'll not be landing if it cost me 15 ped to leave the planet again. The only reason for landing a privateer on planet is to land passengers safely since we can't do atmo. docking like the ms. But if it cost 15 ped to get off again, it would make any planet to planet surface passenger transport by privateer uneconomical. Thats my view of it anyway

Hangars cud be used as an workshop where privaters or part of them ( maybe sort of batteries) cud get "recharged" to add to them additional protection and flying speed for one or or few interpanetar flyes.

Or other services maybe?

Paramedic service using high tech hangar machinery, nano components and computers.
Preparing passengers to support situations without gravity, situation with high cosmic radiation.
Or first steeps for hibernation before passengers get teleported to spaceships

instead of an increased cost, how about a lowering of cost?

Own a ship and a hanger, avoid the fee to enter the planet from space station, etc. Ship will just park at the hanger instead of at the space station. It's the way it used to work before space sort of, so why not bring that aspect of hangers back? Just make the thruster cost go away for hanger owner basically.

Another use of hangers - get someone owning em with a bit of a sense of humor, lots of time on their hands, and a screen shot camera thing like fraps and make it the set for a sitcom! :)

instead of an increased cost, how about a lowering of cost?

Own a ship and a hanger, avoid the fee to enter the planet from space station, etc. Ship will just park at the hanger instead of at the space station. It's the way it used to work before space sort of, so why not bring that aspect of hangers back? Just make the thruster cost go away for hanger owner basically.

Yes, that'll be fine for those hanger owners who still have the ship to go with it, but what about those ships that have been sold separately from the hanger? And what are the hanger owners who don't have a ship anymore supposed to be doing with it?

So still waiting for reply.

Sorry, couldn't reply until I got home.

It's way more simple than you think:

• If I leave a planet using my VTOL (or any space-capable vehicle) it'll cost 15 ped in oil. (In addition to thruster decay, etc.)
  • If I own a hangar deed, that fee is waived (thruster decay is not).
  • Since this is a Universe-wide system, it applies to all planets.
  • Take-off from all planets is the same fee.
  • Fee is waived on all planets regardless of location of hangar
  • Summoning would still be free.

What this would do is simple:

If I own a space-capable vehicle, I have the option of flying myself, or tracking down a flying service that can avoid the fee.

Well, actually that exactly what I was thinking and what I wrote in my first post here, excluding what Space Thruster decay will be kept and it will be Universe-wide :)

And I'm not sure, if Hangars Universe-wide system (at least I didn't seen any official statement about that).
Especially since right now they don't have any plans on it at all, according to Kim | Calypso (I could try to find link, if you want).
Also could find old statement by David | Arkadia about them.

... If I own a hangar deed, that fee is waived
If I own a space-capable vehicle, I have the option of flying myself, or tracking down a flying service that can avoid the fee.
Hangar deed and Space-vehicle deed two separate thing. Some peoples have only one of these and sold another.

P.S. I don't like that idea at all.
It wouldn't affect me, since I have friend with Hangar+Privateer, but it will affect huge amount of other peoples and will slightly increase flying cost for them and/or ability to fly, when they want (welcome back "pilots lines"?). And it's not actually bringing anything good for Hangar owners as well IMHO.

In my opinion, Privateers should be allowed to land in hangars.

They should also add a bunch of (L) improvements for Privateers (speed upgrade, weapon amps, hull plating, extra shielding, etc) and make Hangars the only place these can be crafted and attached to the Privateers.

Hangar owners could then allow those who have a privateer but no hangar to land and craft/attach these things for a set fee.

I know the cost increase would upset folks, but tbh, is there any other way to make hangars worth anything? at the moment, they're useless. They have even less worth than taming gear, (whips still work for hunting) and that's pretty bad.

I'm happy to see folks like Dan, etc. proposing their own ideas.

Maybe in a few years, one of these ideas will prove to be the foundation of their hangar overhaul.

... is there any other way to make hangars worth anything? ...
For example:

Main points of landing for Privateers/Motherships:
1) Cheaper way to transfer lootable items (for those, who doing that) - now it cost 10 PED to TP from Space Station to planet. That way Pilot could ask cheaper price and at the same time will have some additional profit.
2) Regular (using vehicle) landing now not free as well - it cost 2.1 PED, so it could be cheaper that way too.

Both of these will some concurrent advantages to space ship owners with hangars against vehicles.

Another "quick idea" - allow Hangar owner sell "tickets" to Vehicle pilots (via new system, that should be added), to use their Hangar as "landing pad" (to avoid 2 PED landing fee).
Size of that fee set Hangar owner, different options should be available - for example it could be 100 PED / month for unlimited number of landings or 0.5 PED / 1 landing etc.

I think it could be possible to find a lot of way to find use for them without screw whole other populations of EU.

I think it could be possible to find a lot of way to find use for them without screw whole other populations of EU.

I agree. Either make them useful or remove them. Don't make them useful by increasing the cost of everything else.

In my opinion, Privateers should be allowed to land in hangars.

They should also add a bunch of (L) improvements for Privateers (speed upgrade, weapon amps, hull plating, extra shielding, etc) and make Hangars the only place these can be crafted and attached to the Privateers.

Hangar owners could then allow those who have a privateer but no hangar to land and craft/attach these things for a set fee.

I agree that privateers should be able to land in their hangars...but it seems MA have given up on that. It really seems to be the only logical answer.

Maybe a free tp from planet to ship and back if you carry the deed to the hangar? Maybe waive the re-entry fee in a quad, but you have to land in your hangar?

It's an odd situation now because of the Motherships...whatever MA do at this stage will seem like a slap in the face to those that purchased the Motherships...

Really not many things they can do without alienating the MS owners...imo...

I agree that privateers should be able to land in their hangars...but it seems MA have given up on that. It really seems to be the only logical answer.

Maybe a free tp from planet to ship and back if you carry the deed to the hangar? Maybe waive the re-entry fee in a quad, but you have to land in your hangar?

It's an odd situation now because of the Motherships...whatever MA do at this stage will seem like a slap in the face to those that purchased the Motherships...

Really not many things they can do without alienating the MS owners...imo...

Turn them into giant incubators with blueprints that must be combined for components and make the weirdest
Franken monsters ever unleashed on the planet:)

Not so serious solution:silly2:

Turn them into giant incubators with blueprints that must be combined for components and make the weirdest
Franken monsters ever unleashed on the planet:)

Not so serious solution:silly2:

Nah, just make them into specialized mini-hunting-LAs ;)

1) Add item "Template Extractor" with 100PED TT. Add this item to Trade Terminal.
2) Allow LA owners to use this "Template Extractor" to extract "Cloning Template (L)" from the DNA in their LAs. Using it on an Atrox DNA would for example create "Cloning Template, Atrox (L)" with 10PED TT value.
3) Add "Cloning Tank" to hangars.
4) Allow hangar owners to put Cloning Templates they have bought from LA owners into a slot on their hangar.
5) Let the hangar owner set maturity and respawn speed (minimum respawn higher if maturity is higher, since they need more time to grow).
6) "Cloning Template" will decay 0.05PED/respawn, allowing 200 total spawns before breaking and having to be replaced.
7) Let hangar owner press a button to shut the roof hatch and the hatch by the ramp, if he wants to keep it private, so people have to pass through the terminal part of the hangar (which can be set to private) to get to the hunting part (main hangar part).

Ta-da, mini-LAs :silly2:

15 ped is too much, maybe 2-3 ped would be more acceptable.

Hangars could be used to:

• Refueling station. The hangar have a oil storage that the hangra can fill up and use that to do quick refueling of space and aircrafts. Could also be used to sell oil to other players, like a shop.
  • Repair station. The owner can repair crafts fast and to a lower cost than the standard options.

Hangars have never have any great value by them self, it was the ships that hold the value, so when should they have any big value in the future?

Hangars have never have any great value by them self, it was the ships that hold the value, so when should they have any big value in the future?

That's not really a logical conclusion... Considering the hangar and ship used to be the same, none of them can be said to have held a bigger part of the value in the past.

[*]If I leave a planet using my VTOL (or any space-capable vehicle) it'll cost 15 ped in oil. (In addition to thruster decay, etc.)

So people who never use privateers/motherships services and fly on their own will be screwed and forced to use those services. If the goal is to stimulate privateers business, then MA may as well just remove quads from the game, with 15 ped cost to get into space 90% of the people would stop using them.

I agree. Old hangars had 2 functions: means for space travel and an estate. Pre-VU10 hangars owners got both functionalities back, even if separately. But now it's not enough for them to just have cool estates, they want more.

Last edited:

• If I leave a planet using my VTOL (or any space-capable vehicle) it'll cost 15 ped in oil. (In addition to thruster decay, etc.)

What this would do is simple:

Doesn't make sense in my opinion. It would be unfair to many thousands of players to multiply their cost of going to space, in order to benefit a few.

And why would a Caly deed have any effect on another planet? Other planets don't have hangars, so it would be unfair to those PPs as well.

Hangars were introduced on Caly, hence the benefit should stay tied to Caly as long as other planets don't have hangars of their own.

I know the cost increase would upset folks, but tbh, is there any other way to make hangars worth anything?

"Upset" is probably the understatement of the week. I'd be pissed if my cost of going into space was multiplied several times.

Slightly off topic, but were hangar owners at all compensated with the introduction of space? :confused:

Nah, just make them into specialized mini-hunting-LAs ;)

1) Add item "Template Extractor" with 100PED TT. Add this item to Trade Terminal.
2) Allow LA owners to use this "Template Extractor" to extract "Cloning Template (L)" from the DNA in their LAs. Using it on an Atrox DNA would for example create "Cloning Template, Atrox (L)" with 10PED TT value.
3) Add "Cloning Tank" to hangars.
4) Allow hangar owners to put Cloning Templates they have bought from LA owners into a slot on their hangar.
5) Let the hangar owner set maturity and respawn speed (minimum respawn higher if maturity is higher, since they need more time to grow).
6) "Cloning Template" will decay 0.05PED/respawn, allowing 200 total spawns before breaking and having to be replaced.
7) Let hangar owner press a button to shut the roof hatch and the hatch by the ramp, if he wants to keep it private, so people have to pass through the terminal part of the hangar (which can be set to private) to get to the hunting part (main hangar part).

Ta-da, mini-LAs :silly2:

I propose the 'Ecky thump' type of action and spawn
each hangar to it own form of combat;)

I do not agree with OPs 15 ped cost -insta-slapped onto a "million" players of EU - just so 6 players can reap the benefit for owning a hangar + all MS owners as well.

This would be a FORCED oligopoly into the hands of the few.

I'm sorry, but I like my freedom to fly out of any planet whenever I choose to
- without paying "highway-bandit" taxes. I'm sure the rest of us do as well.

Stop giving stupid ideas to Mindark.

/Not signed.

I don't think there will ever be any use for hangars, since they're only on Calypso. Kinda makes them pointless in regard to space travel unless you're just going to Crystal Palace and back.

Privateers, on the other hand, would be able to compete in the space travel arena if they could land on planet to save their passengers the 7 ped TP fee. This would give them an edge in VIP planet to planet flights over the more highly equipped motherships.

This would be a FORCED oligopoly into the hands of the few.

/Not signed.

Actually, it would be much less of one compared to when hangars were the only method to get to CP/CND. Or have you forgotten those days?

If I don't want to use one of those services I can fly myself. It'll just be a bit more expensive.

That was never a choice back in the good old days.

I know the cost increase would upset folks, but tbh, is there any other way to make hangars worth anything? at the moment, they're useles.

What if, you could dock your mothership to a hanger, to do upgrades, and at a much better ratio than a skilled person dropping ingots? that would a nice thing right?

Supposing these upgrades were worth paying the hanger owner for servicing your mothership. Then it might be nice to own a hanger that has a shop keeper in it. and it might be nice to visit from time to time to upgrade your ms, and maybe buy parts from his store.

Unless SI has a cap, I Think that at some point by compounding math alone. motherships should reach a SI that droping ingots to upgrade would be pointless.

Thus a need for a "hanger" to service your ship?? anyway just a thought.

Actually, it would be much less of one compared to when hangars were the only method to get to CP/CND. Or have you forgotten those days?

If I don't want to use one of those services I can fly myself. It'll just be a bit more expensive.

That was never a choice back in the good old days.

You know what puzzles me... is what is the MOTIVE behind this absurd idea the OP has concocted out of the blue.

I simply cannot fathom a "hurt everyone" so a dozen people will reap rewards concept.

What could possibly be the REAL reason behind this?

Correct or not, what immediately clicks in my mind are the following possible scenarios:

1. He owns/plans to own a Hangar.
2. He owns/plans to own a Mothership.
3. He is trying to generate EXTRA money for Mindark with no value-added service ... why?
(a) Some sort of "job" security on PCF?
(b) Bonus reward of some sorts?
(c) Showing he is a creative sorts and can "help" MA with his brilliance?
(d) Planting the "seed" in our heads of something MA is already planning - which he has been assigned to do?
4. His buddies own a MS/Hangar and want something done?
5. Playing the devil's advocate for thrills.

I am not attacking anyone's personal character here. I am simply stating IMHO that this is an absurd idea that reeks of "meddling" and string-pulling.

The "good old days" are gone. Lots of things were done right in those days. Lots of things were terrible. Mindark can come up with BETTER and more creative uses for hangars than what the OP is suggesting.

I simply cannot fathom a "hurt everyone" so a dozen people will reap rewards concept.

It's not just "hurt", it's killing most of the interplanetary traffic. Pirates will be happy, space will become clean of people who between a warp (1 min, 5-10 ped) and a quad (25-50 mins, 3-4 ped) choose quad, and most likely carry no loot. All targets (those 5% who still will fly) will be worth attacking :)

What could possibly be the REAL reason behind this?

I am not attacking anyone's personal character here.

:laugh: And yet attacking my character was exactly what that post was, mate. And a very poor one at that.

First, I've never owned a hangar.
Second, even if I did, did you not see me publicly sell all my possessions and me even stating why? I have no connection to the hangar/space industries at all.
Third, yeah, I'm so known for complaining and campaigning for changes for to increase the value of my items. (Again, sarcasm :rolleyes:)
Fourth, what I am known for, is coming up with the occasional new ideas such as a new fishing system, plus having nice ways of asking MA to fix long-term, yet for some reason, ignored bugs and missing systems. Does the OP make sense to you in this light, now?

You, however, are attacking me very heavily. Why is that, I wonder?
Shakespeare said:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Do you have a vested interest in the space game?

I'm not committed to the change I proposed above. Whether it happens or not, I don't care.

I simply wanted to encourage discussion about the hangar issue and get others to propose alternative ideas. And we've had a few above, which is good.

Maybe, just maybe, MA will see these ideas and if not implement them directly, they will spark ideas of their own and do those instead.

I simply wanted to encourage discussion about the hangar issue and get others to propose alternative ideas. And we've had a few above, which is good.

Are you sure ?
You seemed too much happy to see folks like Dan, etc. proposing their own ideas.....

Back