A loss of creativity?

Wollongong

Elite
Society
Odysseus Unbound
Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
In the early days of Entropia (well, my early days, I haven't been around from the full beginning), there used to be a lot of creativity: videos, images, other EU related artistical work.

I just realized I haven't been seeing much of that around in the last few months (years)?

Has creativity dropped? Have the creatives moved elsewhere? Have you lost inspiration? Has everything been done already? Is the amount of artwork dropping as I am perceiving it to be, or am I missing out on stuff which IS around? If it is dropping, why do you think this is?

All does videos were actully made by people who loved this game for what it was then and they really enjoyed play this virtual universe. The actual artwork from Mindark were even back then very slim and not to talk about the videos is less then an handfull that Mindark made. Alot of things hapend these past 10 years. Not really to the better

Well, MA art has indeed always been sparse, but it is the players I was referring to.
Where did their flow of work go?

As wrote in my preivosly post its because there is no inspiration in the game now as you don't enjoy it as you could do lets say, 9 years agow?

A little nostalgia video from the good old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdvxGD9pLWE Was early spring 2004 and I was there. Was really enjoyable see T-rex fighting Warlocks and inasugababe whine about usual loot was crap for her. Long time.

As wrote in my preivosly post its because there is no inspiration in the game now as you don't enjoy it as you could do lets say, 9 years agow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdvxGD9pLWE Was early spring 2004 and I was there. Was really enjoyable see T-rex fighting Warlocks and inasugababe whine about usual loot was crap for her. Long time.

I dont see it as a loss of inspiration. The inspiration is still there. There is however a lack of novelty in the current system. The videos thus far have showcased most of what the current system has to offer. Additions to the new system have featured new videos, like those from Space. So it still happens.

It only happens when something new and exciting is released, though.

In 2004 the entire game was still new and exciting. We must bear this in mind.

McCormic moved to Entropia Planets

Mitchy Moo has recently done some nice videos featuring some (all?) of the planets individually

Bambuco i think has been busy with school or professional life

Oberon still does stuff and posts from time to time, his work is always amazing

Id say we definitely need a fresh batch of artists excited in the game with not just 'informational videos' but the more fun ones with funny stuff or parodies or machinimas.

Razer re posted an old video called TPing Toilet Paper or something like that one EP the other day which brought back some old memories. (id post it but at work now so cant access youtube)

Maybe some more competitions or events like Blastoise is doing will help draw out some more of the young talent

My EU creativity died when it was no longer Project Entropia.

In the early days of Entropia (well, my early days, I haven't been around from the full beginning), there used to be a lot of creativity: videos, images, other EU related artistical work.

I just realized I haven't been seeing much of that around in the last few months (years)?

Has creativity dropped? Have the creatives moved elsewhere? Have you lost inspiration? Has everything been done already? Is the amount of artwork dropping as I am perceiving it to be, or am I missing out on stuff which IS around? If it is dropping, why do you think this is?

Creativity is still here. Case is that creative is only 1% of population so that years ago u mentioned You could met here and there someone creative so often , that there was enough ppl for something creative at least once a week.

With decreased population of game there are still 1 % of creative ppl, but 1 % out of number wchich remain is so small that you actualy get something "creative" once a year or even more rarely :/

We used to be able to enjoy playing without being ripped off, so were more carefree and able to focus our energies on things OTHER THAN eco and saving PEDs.
I even put together an EP and was selling it within EU way back in 2008... but as I said above, something changed and my focus has been clearly aimed at reducing cost to play, ever since.

We used to be able to enjoy playing without being ripped off, so were more carefree and able to focus our energies on things OTHER THAN eco and saving PEDs.
I even put together an EP and was selling it within EU way back in 2008... but as I said above, something changed and my focus has been clearly aimed at reducing cost to play, ever since.

If you think about it, this is kind of a funny/sad spiral.......

Creative playing (socializing, art, videos, etc...) is the cheapest way to play, yet over time obsessing about costs reduces the ability to be creative which in turn forces you into a more expensive playstyle.

If you think about it, this is kind of a funny/sad spiral.......

Creative playing (socializing, art, videos, etc...) is the cheapest way to play, yet over time obsessing about costs reduces the ability to be creative which in turn forces you into a more expensive playstyle.

lol...
You're completely right! ARGH!
:eyecrazy:

I would just say that there are a million forums now, so the creativity has spread out across the universe and not everyone gets to see what is created as it's posted to various places.

For example, I mostly just post videos to ArkadiaForum as that's where I usually reside nowadays. I did have a lot more videos in the past, however I'm still doing them today! They just don't get as much exposure on PCF.

(Check link!)

:wtg:

All my creative energy is focused on school at the moment but I look forward to utilizing new skills over the summer to make something EU inspired and create a new web page for all the things art related I dig.

Noticed that Trance is still doing her amazing work. I do, however, remember that that the game seemed to have a more art in the past ...I seem to remember art work made of fruit, oil barrels and other low tt items. Does anyone have any pictures?

Wrote an EU related book a few years ago, when I was still very new to the English language. Planned on making a sequel for it, but truth is, the storyline for the game went down the drain since Cryengine

Compared to today, loots really is like day and night imo... Daaaaaamn how I miss the old days, when you knew a global over 150 peds contained an item or fifteen!

Does writing a blogger / fan-site count as creative? Well anyways I'm trying to be creative. I have my own vision of EU going in the story that is more or less backed up with details gleaned from researching events documented here on the PCF.

The story is of course sci-fi and is about my character Wasp coming to grips with where she is and what is going on around her. She has turned out to be somewhat of a mini-disaster magnet and I'm not certain she will get back to where she wants to be anytime soon. If you are interested here is a link to my blogger:

9 chapters so far the 10th has been held up due to recent unfortunate events and I'm pretty sure the story line is about to turn very dark.

You have to consider that MA closed a lot of venues that enabled creative work (IMHO).

Sure there are more "things" now but they are less interactive, basically some of the things that I believe make social events boring in EU are also responsible for the reduced creativity.

Lets start with how MA just shut down the video service, so Jamhot TV was gone from one day to the other, also they never reimbursed anyone who uploaded videos (for quite an amount of money one should mention).

Facial gestures were removed with CE2, just now to come back (me happy).
This surely had a major impact for video makers!

Sitting and lieing down were removed as well as babbling.

The one event were creativity should have been rewarded never even was finished I believe (or was it? link please?) I mean the mall shop decoration event.

Anyways if you close possibilities its only logical that less people find interesting stuff.
It will get better if more is possible, maybe I can even get into decorating again in another six years time :p

I dabble in the crafts a wee bit. Click sig for some old images. I have several concepts in the works, but the cost to craft and repair is so high that it is extremely prohibitive to carry on without sales/sponsorships/commissioned work/financial support.

On the plus side, I saw today that EP now has a banner made by me (Thanks JBK!) :yay:

I focus on the ingame aspect of creativity.

A really great and interesting topic. I'm old enough to know how the world looked before the interactivity of Internet communities. Internet and later its multiplayer communities really fed a huge need, to feel interactive and being a part of a world created by me and you and the rest of us. The first multiplayer games I played always had a toolbox for content creation. Like the Counterstrike mod and hundreds of other examples. And those years in the modding community was the most mind blowingly creative environment I have ever experienced.

But those worlds was limited by the size of the worlds, to maps with size and small player limits. PE was my first mmorpg and when I first entered and realized the size of it and the number of players it just rumbled my jungle. The opportunities in a world like this was endless. And this was an enormous fuel for creativity.

At start (PE) had a huge community bond. A feeling of "We are creating this Universe together". We where helping noobs without a mentoring system. We arranged events without an event system. We hunted together without a team hunt system. You mostly got tps by the help of others. The ingame experience was way more creative earlier imo. Maybe MA thought that they added a service by building ingame systems based on what the community actually created. But by doing so they choke the inspiration. In mmorpgs with a set fee/month its no problem. The makers get their money regularilly and build whatever sandbox the community requests. But MA needs deposits and ofc they must have it. But if more and more of the system monopolize functions that exclude the need of "sticking together" it will kill the creativity ingame.

I guess the same happened when Gutenberg gave people opportunity to express themselves by printed books.
I suppose creativity exploded by the sheer thought of reaching other people.

But as with printed books and multiplayer games, it is not formed by you and me and others any longer.
It will eventually boil down to only one thing, how to make money out of the needs of people.

How can you be creative in a world that is shaped around "this world needs your money to survive"?
And "we dont need creators we need customers".

How I miss the thrill ...
How I miss exploring just for the heck of it ...

Maybe its just me, but EU feels lonelly nowadays.
The soc chat now mostly is about eco, MU, hofs and globals, how many hundreds of peds you spent on your last hunt and the return and how many peds you earned on a resell.

The only hope is that peoples imagination will never die.

I believe that even though the room for imagination has narrowed in EU, there is still room for whacky ideas and a need to get back the thrill of "We are creating this Universe together".

I focus on the ingame aspect of creativity.

A really great and interesting topic. I'm old enough to know how the world looked before the interactivity of Internet communities. Internet and later its multiplayer communities really fed a huge need, to feel interactive and being a part of a world created by me and you and the rest of us. The first multiplayer games I played always had a toolbox for content creation. Like the Counterstrike mod and hundreds of other examples. And those years in the modding community was the most mind blowingly creative environment I have ever experienced.

But those worlds was limited by the size of the worlds, to maps with size and small player limits. PE was my first mmorpg and when I first entered and realized the size of it and the number of players it just rumbled my jungle. The opportunities in a world like this was endless. And this was an enormous fuel for creativity.

At start (PE) had a huge community bond. A feeling of "We are creating this Universe together". We where helping noobs without a mentoring system. We arranged events without an event system. We hunted together without a team hunt system. You mostly got tps by the help of others. The ingame experience was way more creative earlier imo. Maybe MA thought that they added a service by building ingame systems based on what the community actually created. But by doing so they choke the inspiration. In mmorpgs with a set fee/month its no problem. The makers get their money regularilly and build whatever sandbox the community requests. But MA needs deposits and ofc they must have it. But if more and more of the system monopolize functions that exclude the need of "sticking together" it will kill the creativity ingame.

I guess the same happened when Gutenberg gave people opportunity to express themselves by printed books.
I suppose creativity exploded by the sheer thought of reaching other people.

But as with printed books and multiplayer games, it is not formed by you and me and others any longer.
It will eventually boil down to only one thing, how to make money out of the needs of people.

How can you be creative in a world that is shaped around "this world needs your money to survive"?
And "we dont need creators we need customers".

How I miss the thrill ...
How I miss exploring just for the heck of it ...

Maybe its just me, but EU feels lonelly nowadays.
The soc chat now mostly is about eco, MU, hofs and globals, how many hundreds of peds you spent on your last hunt and the return and how many peds you earned on a resell.

The only hope is that peoples imagination will never die.

I believe that even though the room for imagination has narrowed in EU, there is still room for whacky ideas and a need to get back the thrill of "We are creating this Universe together".

PREACH!
/co-sign

Well, MA art has indeed always been sparse, but it is the players I was referring to.

Probably the same place mine did. Away from a game that progressively gets more boring the longer you play it. :silly2:

EU is a very good idea, but there just isn't much in the game to really "hold" you anymore. As time has gone by, it's become less fun. Seems like MA has pulled focus away from the experience and the creativity of the game, and focused more on an endless grinding session type of game. Without an inspirational story to draw you in; with the focus just on grinding skills; there isn't much that the players can get creatively inspired by themselves. :silly2:

I would just say that there are a million forums now, so the creativity has spread out across the universe and not everyone gets to see what is created as it's posted to various places.

For example, I mostly just post videos to ArkadiaForum as that's where I usually reside nowadays. I did have a lot more videos in the past, however I'm still doing them today! They just don't get as much exposure on PCF.

(Check link!)

:wtg:

Why do you only post on one forum? Wouldn't you want your creative work to be seen by as many people as possible?

The work went down the drain, just like the peds. Have a whole bunch of never-published stuff because once I got around to finishing something I had such bad runs I didn't thought MA was worth it. For the same effort IRL you have happy customers/friends and/or a (small) ath.

We're not building a universe together, we're just funding it.

artists like to be able to upload creations... the price of participant content uploads is EXTREMELY HIGHER than it should be... Add in that displays and the bink videos were killed off, and there you go. Mindark itself is driving creatives away.

artists like to be able to upload creations... the price of participant content uploads is EXTREMELY HIGHER than it should be... Add in that displays and the bink videos were killed off, and there you go. Mindark itself is driving creatives away.

... and they turned the quality of player content down to an unacceptable level. All my pictures look like 128x256 GIF-bullshit now. Well, I stopped using it as they want me to.

I guess even with high costs such features have low priority for MA. So ... forget the creatives, hail the grinders!

Back