Mars One Project - Who's going?

there is enough planets out there for us to consume them all. it might just be our destiny to do so, if not a couple of practice planets wont make a dent.

PS: google bath salts zombie

My mind might be cynical, but anyways; when we discover interstellar travel; I've always thought of humanity as space rodents. A species that colonizes and polutes planets and conquers all. Kills everything in its path and is driven by greed and foolish dreams that end up being tarnished by egoism and hate.
I might be a bit cynical however

and women. Just to give equal credit, as deserved :)

Shh, It's just the men :laugh:

They cant train for this, not mentally. Even if astronauts get sent to remote locations for months on end, they know that one day soon, they get to eat salmon and cream cheese again. Everything we have ever smelt, heard, or seen since the day we were born, everything our brains have absorbed and coped with/adapted to will be taken away.

Imagine never smelling a freshly cut lawn again, or never hearing rain again, or feeling the wind on your face (well, unless something goes horrifically wrong, you might get a few seconds), I would go as far as saying its sensory deprivation. No freedom, no choice, you can't decide to have a curry on a Friday night, you cant go for a stroll, you'll never see the ocean again..Ok this list could go on.. No beer either btw.

How do you train someone to cope with all that loss?

a curry on a Friday night, you cant go for a stroll, you'll never see the ocean again..Ok this list could go on.. No beer either btw.

send them to prison

Just wanted to let everyone know I made it through to the second selection
round for Mars One!

Excellent and congratulations!

:yay:

Just wanted to let everyone know I made it through to the second selection
round for Mars One!
Congratulations. But you must be stark-staring-crackers to want to spend the rest of your days that are without a spacesuit in a tin-can that's barely as wide as you are tall.

Assuming this actually does happen , how many are they thinking of sending ?

I think the plan is to send at least twenty-four people over several years to make up the colony.

there is enough planets out there for us to consume them all. it might just be our destiny to do so, if not a couple of practice planets wont make a dent.
I just realised. Those nasty space aliens in Independance Day? They were our future selves.:laugh:

I kid you not, back in 2004 I was at a training course and met a guy from Maghreb. I joked with him saying he's always late because he's taking his time in Paris's parks looking at girls and he replied back saying he hates forests and he miss staying in a desert staring at nothing. He had a glint in his eyes and soon enough next day he had a verbal fight with some of the other trainee (over politics) and never showed up again. Needless to say beer was not on his menu anyway :)

But yes, going so far away from things we take for granted, with the added travel risk, requires a certain mental solidity. Not speaking about team cohesion.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

No beer either btw.

I actually read some article about a group that wants to use ISS to test how brewing beer in space works :silly2:

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Actually reading the 2001 book right now :D great movie too, tho

Reactions: dj.
I'm thinking now we should send unhinged scientists. They have to be scientists, I mean really.
Also, to avoid any almost certain mental breakdown, they need to be unhinged ever so slightly in the 1st place.

Probably the best place for them anyway.

Well, I know someone we can send; lets send <self-censoring> :yay:

I'm thinking now we should send unhinged scientists. They have to be scientists, I mean really.
Also, to avoid any almost certain mental breakdown, they need to be unhinged ever so slightly in the 1st place.

Probably the best place for them anyway.

They would be the ones who create the self replicating robots that invade and destroy earth.:rolleyes:

The answer to the question asked in the thread title is:

No one.

Sorry, but no one is going to Mars.

This is just a way for the 'organizers' to pay themselves a fat salary for a few years (and probably write a book or two), until the hype wears off and they throw up their hands and say "Well, we gave it a good effort, but it turns out it's not feasible for us to do at this time."

Call me cynical, but this one is kind of obvious.

wtf to do on mars mate? ..realy now. Tomatos in a greenhouse? and stuff like that...shity stuff..I dont say is bad, but some robots can do that on a boring planet and maybe if you look few years , you are lucky if you will find a fucking bacteria lost around. I will sign for looking a planet with life,not mars, but not now. We need some at least 50% of the speed of light to have any chance and a 300y or more life span. I guess that will hapends in at least few decades or more, or never:p

You folks know its a one-way trip, right?

No coming back.

The distance from Earth to Mars ranges from ~50 million km to ~400 million km and a AU is ~150 million km.

Been there done that.... Next! :beerchug:

This show could be fun.
Today Kimberley was felling too hot. She opened the porthole.

We are sorry to say you cannot vote to save her.
Remaining contestants : 7.

There has been some delays and other issues with the whole thing; I would love to see it happen though.

I have a few questions no one has mentioned:

~ Are there going to be space pirates in Mars orbit?
~Repair terminal, trade terminal, revive terminal, and auctioneer?
~There doesn't seem to be any animal life on Mars. How do you extract vibrant sweat?
~PVP zones?
~Where are the teleports?
~Where are the good mining zones?
:rolleyes:

I have a few questions no one has mentioned:

~ Are there going to be space pirates in Mars orbit?
~Repair terminal, trade terminal, revive terminal, and auctioneer?
~There doesn't seem to be any animal life on Mars. How do you extract vibrant sweat?
~PVP zones?
~Where are the teleports?
~Where are the good mining zones?
:rolleyes:

It is more like Monria Tunnels. Once you are there you either survive or die.:umn:

Well, well, well.

http://www.techspot.com/news/60071-...nization-total.html?google_editors_picks=true

It might as well have been this...

Announcing SUN ONE.

Hot on the heels of Mars One and their plan to colonise Mars, SUN ONE seeks candidates who want to be the first people to colonise the sun. Applicants should submit their $5000 processing fee and a selfie of themselves in a bikini. Due to the tight budget, successful applicants (Solarnauts) will have to provide their own flip-flops and factor 50 cream.

Training will be given, including how to look good when your hair is spontaneously combusting and how to say "by jolly, it's a tad hot here" in twelve languages so as to reach an international audience.

The mission will be performed with existing technology such as a wing and a prayer, and to reduce the need for expensive equipment such as radiation- and heat-shielding the mission will be undertaken at night.

Back