Interesting...

I don't have a lot of time for games. Partly why I don't like the mining system in EU, spend a lot of time for very little chance at uber HoF.

Not sure I'm interested in these un ending RPG's but I still got some cartilage left in my thumbs, I could be convinced to play Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for money.

Unfortunately EU is not F2P game. There are tons of games that offer loads of fun and there is no need to pay anything to have access to all mechanics of game. Plenty of competition out there

Sure EU cost nothing to download and one can explore for free, but there is almost none content you can play for free, unless sweating is your thing.
Only free play content is starter zone on Calypso - player gets weapon and ammo and have some missions while learning ropes. Personally I think this is not enough to really interest many of first-time-trying players.

With instances there is potential to make bit more free content. Player entering instance could receive weapon (non sell-able and working only in those free instances) that do not decay and do not use ammo. At the same time those free contents should give no loot or skill gains, but offer fun time.

I know it might be not most popular idea but I'm sure that player who had fun time would consider getting deeper into the game (ie depositing and getting more fun).

P.s.
If we are at it, I think EU is more pay-to-win than play-for-free game.

Technically, Entropia IS F2P. Its just not Free to Succeed lol

There are several players that have NEVER deposited and play at a normal level. Just takes time, creativity, and patience.

but I see what you are saying :)

Unfortunately EU is not F2P game. There are tons of games that offer loads of fun and there is no need to pay anything to have access to all mechanics of game. Plenty of competition out there

Sure EU cost nothing to download and one can explore for free, but there is almost none content you can play for free, unless sweating is your thing.
Only free play content is starter zone on Calypso - player gets weapon and ammo and have some missions while learning ropes. Personally I think this is not enough to really interest many of first-time-trying players.

With instances there is potential to make bit more free content. Player entering instance could receive weapon (non sell-able and working only in those free instances) that do not decay and do not use ammo. At the same time those free contents should give no loot or skill gains, but offer fun time.

I know it might be not most popular idea but I'm sure that player who had fun time would consider getting deeper into the game (ie depositing and getting more fun).

P.s.

P.s.

EU is free for me. I haven't found tons of games that give you all content for free, most of them have premium cash/gold/gems/points whatever that you can pay for to get ahead. The ones that are completely free are usually small games with a ton of advertising. I like the freemium model but the top guys all pay to win those games too so I don't see where you think EU is so much different.

There are several players that have NEVER deposited and play at a normal level. Just takes time, creativity, and patience.

Yes I know few, all of them started long time ago and as we know it was much easier back then than now.

My point is that we need more players and with so much competition EU must attract them somehow.

EU is free for me. I haven't found tons of games that give you all content for free, most of them have premium cash/gold/gems/points whatever that you can pay for to get ahead. The ones that are completely free are usually small games with a ton of advertising. I like the freemium model but the top guys all pay to win those games too so I don't see where you think EU is so much different.

There are two main models
- pay-to-win where one can spend some money to increase chance of getting nice items, boost xp gains and other gamechanging purchases
- and other, where one can purchase visual improvements, bigger storage etc. (that do not change gameplay at all but you would be surprised how many people spend money to have different look or spell effect)

The trend seems to be the latter model.

Actually there are plenty of such games, pm me if you are interested in details...

Meculus started playing in 2008. He has never deposited. He is worth over $75000 in the game now.

It is possible, my friend.

Yes I know few, all of them started long time ago and as we know it was much easier back then than now.

My point is that we need more players and with so much competition EU must attract them somehow.

- pay-to-win where one can spend some money to increase chance of getting nice items, boost xp gains and other gamechanging purchases
- and other, where one can purchase visual improvements, bigger storage etc. (that do not change gameplay at all but you would be surprised how many people spend money to have different look or spell effect)

Actually there are plenty of such games, pm me if you are interested in details...

If I remember right few weeks ago someone from major game company said F2P games model will die soon, now they say F2P is the future. I'm going to read it anyway - must be interesting.

Yeah, they are getting quite popular these days. I have played TF2, Dota2, Swtor (subscribed for a month too later on, to try it to the fullest), AVA. Just to name a few. But imho it highly depends on the game and genre. I just cannot imagine how a leading genre game such as Starcraft II for example could become f2p and would become loaded with optional stuff for money. Its still very much a single player game with good MP and people want it.

Even in EU most want good SP with some MP. Mining, hunting and crafting are pretty much solo activities in EU, crafting even more so with the tablet software.

They've added a few extras features for true MP but in some cases they're avoided by the players, PVP for instance and the forts which according to some posts on here are almost dead. The only other thing is the shared loot and that's only MP because it's an enforced team.

For many EU is a single player game with a chat function.

The only reason I'm still even slightly active in EU is because its free but I'm playing it solo even though I'm in a soc and have been almost since I started and the reason behind that is the loot system but that's another story.

its a bit of a non-story that has appeared in other publications too, world of warcraft's subscribers always falls between expansions, its already a old game by now too, not to much can be read into that.
and if free to play is becoming so popular, all it means is more competition, and if someone from one of the mayor game companies makes something similar to EU, but on a better budget, with proper designers/coders and artists, with a EULA/TOS that does recognise your rights, with a proper facility to withdraw, where would this leave EU?

This article is about f2p games, but i think what makes even a bigger difference is that most free to play games are browser games. Those you can also play on your work and on your phone.Very easy to acces. I think thats why they are growing so much atm and i think mindark should do something with that knowledge.

PM sent. How many let you withdraw profits though? ;)

For many EU is a single player game with a chat function.

That may be true for many, but for others that like team hunting, shared loot mobs, shared loot waves, MS operations, noob charity(like ppl who buy sweat at high prices), player events like racing, etc.... This can be a MP game.... Just depends on how you look at it....

That may be true for many, but for others that like team hunting, shared loot mobs, shared loot waves, MS operations, noob charity(like ppl who buy sweat at high prices), player events like racing, etc.... This can be a MP game.... Just depends on how you look at it....

You mean like *inserting shameless plug* BIG Industries Sweating Initiative program? :p

PM sent. How many let you withdraw profits though? ;)

Profits? what's that? ;p

I made some money but no, there is no official withdraw option, only trading outside of game.

pm sent

Back