Question: What to do about sales threads where people with lack of morals have an advantage?

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Problem: Some people when they are selling something deliberatly bump their thread more than once per day. I'm pretty sure they know the forum rule which states you can only bump thread once a day. Furthermore if a moderator see's this they warn them on the thread and hence bumping their thread again. The op can also reply to this message by moderator and hence get yet another bump. So effectively they have managed to milk the system to get multiple bumps on teh same day.

Disadvantage: This behaviour gives these people who seem to have no shame or ethics whatsoever a distinct advantage because someone who does follow the rules will not be able to get the same level of exposure for their thread.

Solution: Could a solution be worked out which rectifies this imbalance? What would you suggest?

Nothing. I use search engine for sales threads.
If i dont need stuff, i dont recieve them in results :)

And for these people only ban can be helpful :laugh:

Simple

1st rule break: warning

2nd rule break: 1 week ban

after ban rule break again? longer ban

I am sure the rules will be followed if there's a reason to do it :)

It really doesn't effect me in the slightest.

You seem to be very hurt by this :S

Easy way would be to limit the amount of posts per day in ones sales thread.

I think the seller has a right to respond to any 'new post' to their thread no matter how many times this may happen during the day.

Many posts are bumped by friends and soc, take the Mace V sale as a good example (lovely chaps, but even the top end boys are gulity of it to some degree...LOL).

We have all bumped a thread, no one is perfect.

It's hard to police the rules, but the fact the rules are there, means most adhere to those rules most of the time.

I've always believed the forum should be the second choice for sales anyhow.

Most of all...chill, it's just a damn game.

Rick

Problem: Some people when they are selling something deliberatly bump their thread more than once per day. I'm pretty sure they know the forum rule which states you can only bump thread once a day. Furthermore if a moderator see's this they warn them on the thread and hence bumping their thread again. The op can also reply to this message by moderator and hence get yet another bump. So effectively they have managed to milk the system to get multiple bumps on teh same day.

Disadvantage: This behaviour gives these people who seem to have no shame or ethics whatsoever a distinct advantage because someone who does follow the rules will not be able to get the same level of exposure for their thread.

Solution: Could a solution be worked out which rectifies this imbalance? What would you suggest?

Few day locks to that kind of threads to be introduced... I am also very tired seeing same auction about one specific bp on pcf first page few times a day. It is clearly threadbumper seller disrespect against other sellers on forum.

Simple. Moderator deletes the additional bump and warns the poster by PM. If the poster's PM box is full the moderator adds warning to the OP. If the advertiser ignores the warning then the thread is locked or deleted.

I don't think it needs to be policed so strictly, if someone has a thread going for 3 days and on one of those days he bumps it twice then no problem in my eyes.

If someone's taking the piss and bumps it half a dozen times then lock it and pm the guy to open a new sales thread and point out the bump rule.

rule break : no longuer access to trade forum for 1 week...
next problem , no access to trade forum at all...

no need to ban them from whole forum if they brake rule of the trade part only

Hey Rick, you seem to be chilling a lot lately:cool:....interesting indeed:)

Not worth stressing over what you can't control, even when you believe you can influence your own destiny.

(that's the nicest way I can describe what we are both thinking, shame it took so long).

Smiles a Bettlejus.:D

Rick

Force them to skill in-game to lvl 90 in a hunting proffesion - for noobs
Force them to down skill to lvl 90 in a hunting profession - for ubers

Or else, bye bye PCF

:cool:

Guys, banning them does not get rid of the problem lol....

It is still there, you have just hidden it a bit.

You guys politicians ?

The only way is to make it impossible to post or bump more than once in a given time..

Problem solved.

..or just dont worry about it? if someone is looking for the stuff you are trying to sell, I'm sure they can find it.

Sales threads are not meant to be discussion threads. Just make it so only the OP can bump the post to first page. Any other posts would just be new posts. To make it so the OP doesn't bump it up to front page by replying there could be an option to reply without bumping. Make it required to do that if you are not doing your daily bump.:)

Make sales threads unbumpable :silly2: They are in the order they were posted in. They could also be made lockable by op when the item is sold which would make them jump after the still active ones, that way we would have active selling threads on top.

:twocents:

Bump for Essel's Tomb Shop#13 FOMA 1st Shop S of F Block! Best shop in space! t(''t BUMP it!

Think sales threads could stand to be bumped twice a day, once every 12 hours. Trying to get people in diff time zones to see threads is a bit of a problem.

:wise: Now down to business :silly2: please click the Essel's Tomb link under my sig and bump my shop thread up! :yup: and thank you for all bumps/views :yay:

Forum Rules said:
3.10 - Bumping of Threads
Bumping of threads is only permitted ONCE in any 24 hour period, and only if the thread has been pushed to the second page of a forum (using default viewing settings). This rule applies especially for the Trading forums. Bumping of threads by friends is NOT permitted at any time.

This rule isn't just for the sales section. However, the fact is that section is where it's most abused. (Folks don't usually multi-bump there discussion thread that's getting no interest.) and the reason for the rules is simple: Way back when, we had folks who bumped their sales thread (and had their soc mates/friends bump as well) practically once and hour. Trust me, that can get annoying as hell. And yes, as Rick was saying this rule is meant for bumping over and again without there being a reason. It's not meant to stop the OP from replying to questions.

What most folks don't know is how us mods actually handle this:

Usually when it's reported, or we notice it ourselves, we quietly PM the OP and remind them of the rule. 99.9% of the time, this fixes the problem. So don't think because you see nothing from us in public that we're ignoring things.

For repeat offenders, yes, we remind, delete the latest bumps, give public admonishments, and for really obnoxious folks who refuse to learn, yes, small temp-bans. And it could go further.

I'm afraid us mods don't have the power to remove category privileges, and stop someone from posting in the sales section. So that's not a viable solution.

But to have to temp-ban someone for over-bumping is very, very, rare.

Just keep reporting any problems, and us mods will take care of things, very often in private.

Just keep reporting any problems, and us mods will take care of things, very often in private.

They make you an offer you can't refuse... kapeesh? ;)

who cares?! :scratch2:

petty :lolup:

Call the forum police and have them arrested !!!

Care to explain the irony? I don't think I get it.

I think it is because you purchased something from someone who has multiple posts in their sales thread bumping it up over and over in less then two days.:rolleyes:

As ever we are looking down the wrong end of the telescope.

It is not important if you bump the thread 2, 4, or 100 times a day. Or if people get banned for 5 minutes or 5 weeks.

The issue is access to the customer.

So what we need is a drop-down kind of menu for buyers to see what is available through the forum. Easier for them and you.

Done.

So what we need is a drop-down kind of menu for buyers to see what is available through the forum. Easier for them and you.

Done.

Nice idea. :)

Now, if you would be so kind as to code that up as a vBulletin script this afternoon and let 711 know about it, I'm sure he'll happily incorporate it into the system.

Why not make it so that any person can only post once per thread 24 hours in the trading section of the forum?

Any requests for additional information can be posted by other users and then the thread starter can just edit the op which will not bump the thread again.

If there is some sort of circumstances where there needs to be more than 1 correspondence per 24 hours it could probably be handled by pm.

*while I was writing this I thought about people who may bid multiple times within the same 24 hours so perhaps only limit people to 1 bid per 24 hours on threads they started themselves*

Back